[The Dorms] A Perilous Acquaintance

Kokuten

Re: [The Dorms] A Perilous Acquaintance

Post by Kokuten »

“Pbhuogh,” Manon spat out the bead as she felt it leaving her mouth, “don’t make it weird, Willow.”

“Weird!? You just kissed me! I don’ even know you,” roared Diligence as Willow began her next set up. Manon, being more level-headed and seeing her friend making her move, chose to egg the forge god on.

“Aww, poor baby, kissed by a pretty girl and he complains?” tutted Manon.

“Yer pissin’ me off!” flared Diligence.

The boulder began coming up off the ground behind the young man as he gesticulated angrily at the clown. Being the tricksy type that she was, Manon was eating this up and began to shift garments again. From her office attire, she wore a more western style outfit, reminiscent of what Willow was wearing now, her hair full and blonde. She was a French, mirror clone of the Allomancer.

“Is zis better?”

Embarrassed again, Diligence was working to find the words. By this point Willow had the boulder to her feet.

“I dunno why, but… ye–”

CRUNCH! The heavy ore deposit announced itself, crushing Diligence’s head under it and sealing it underneath, plugging his collar. He tumbled back and forth, his hands reaching up helplessly, before tumbling over motionless to the floor.

Manon put her hands on her hips, staring down at Diligence’s body, “A little extreme, non?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Dill forgot the golden rule: Never go off the lift without your helmet,” Willow panted as she landed. For effect she tapped her own headwear. Looking at the Artisan she was both surprised the plan had worked even if its form had changed, and mildly concerned about the man’s wellbeing. She’d seen his head regenerate the last time they’d fought, but it was still a somewhat jarring sight. To help the matter along, she burned Adamantine again to lighten the boulder before kicking it away to clear the space for Diligence to grow back. Satisfied to leave the man alone, she turned and looked around the area. It was, well, a mess.

“Thanks for the assist, Manon. Even if Diligence will probably give me crap about it not being a one on one,” Willow offered the clown. Burning Iron, the Brit began to pull spilt tools at herself, catching them before they struck. Occasionally she’d find one of her metal pouches, which she instead pocketed. The collected tools in turn were sat neatly by what remained of the table.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

“I am merely answering prayers,” Manon struck the same pose from before, holding her hands together, “It is so strange, I felt I was needed, and here I came. Monsieur Casson tells me he can hear people zat pray to him, even back home; I just thought he had a god-complex. I am happy to help. If you need me, just think of me.”

The clown wove her fingers under her chin, “I know you will!”

POMF! A shower of confetti and flames erupted with the sound of Manon’s iconic laughter, and she was gone.

“... – fuckin’ cheap shot…” erupted Diligence, shuddering to life, “... BULLSHIT…”

Headless, the forge god rose up to his hands and knees, shaking off the dizziness. Sparks erupted from the inside of his collar, as he coughed and hacked his way up even higher. A warm glow started again as his fury began to pick up. A metallic fist slammed into the floor, driving another crack into the heart of the mountain.

An inferno erupted from his head, revealing a black skull in its wake, connected back to the body with dark vertebrae. The eyeless face looked up at Willow, and despite the lack of skin and flesh, she could feel the ire.

“You boney-assed, side-swipin’,” growled Diligence as he got up and stomped toward her, “tricksy, piece a’... That fuckin’ HURT. Do you know how it feels to get a metal spine lodge in y’chest? YOUR OWN SPINE? IN YOUR OWN CHEST? I oughta’ clean y’fuckin’ clock you slob-sack-a’...--”

Mid-sentence, the skull stopped chattering, and looked around the room, “... –did you clean up?”

The demi-god looked about at the tools rearranged in orderly rows and the scattered mess he had helped cause put to rights. Diligence scratched the fleshless pate of his head, his jaw hanging slack. He looked back at her, speaking in a warmth that his face couldn’t convey, “Aw, ya didn’ hafta t’do that. Thanks, Willow.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

Eyeing the Artisan as he regrew, Willow turned from the tools and planting her hands on her hips as her face settled into an unamused stare. Around the time spines came up her foot had begun tapping and she had half a mind to Steel push the tools back around the room. Finally the man got to the important part: thanking her for going out of her way to clean up the mess somewhat. Her posture softened to merely stiff crossed arms and a moody lean; after all, Diligence hadn’t said ”Sorry for sucker punching ya” yet.

“Felt partially responsible, what with egging ya on when ya were in a mood,” Willow responded with a sigh. “Even if ya did tackle me without warning. Seriously dude, without Pewter I’m hella squishy, and I’m guessin’ if you crush my skull I don’t come back from the dead like I do when Caxton stabs me.”

Her arms uncrossed as she scratched her head and let out another sigh.

“And you’re welcome.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

“Huh, why didn’t y’juss lead with that?” asked Diligence with a lipless smile. He gave Willow’s head a little tap, “Your head looks so hard, I could pro'lly split granite wit’it.”

A jovial, deep laughter erupted from him, right as a small wave of magma rose to wash human features over his skull head. With each chortle, the jems in the walls sparkled a bit brighter, and the metal veins shone more clearly in the dim light. An energy filled the room, and the hunched forge god stood a little taller in his mirth. Then he jabbed Willow in the ribs.

“C’mon, Willa’, smile a little,” he encouraged, his laughter carrying on, “you just plugged the master of the Yormundyaws in a one-vee-one. Live it up. If you had anything to prove, y’juss did.”

Calming down, a cathartic sigh vented from the young man’s powerful nose. He ran his hands through his hair, fishing out flecks of metal, “Y’know what. I’m done bein’ angry, too. Done workin’. I’ve been on for two shifts. I could use a break. You wanna grab a drink? On me. Could use some quicksilver t'wake me up. Bet we could find somethin’ ya’tender little tummy could handle, too.”

He burst into laughter again, and the halls filled with more earth-borne light, until a shudder that shook the mountain brought it to a sudden halt. Diligence seemed concerned for only a moment before extending his offer again.
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Lest ya forget, this is the second time I’ve beaten you in a one-on-one. You hit me with a table, remember?” Willow remarked with a smirk as she returned the rib jab. Looking around idly as the area seemed to glisten, she focused her attention again when it sounded like the Artisan had asked her out. Squinting slight as her brain ran the algorithm, she concluded there was no chance that is what happened. Diligence was a shut in, so likely just wasn’t versed in talking with people; he was like an angry Johann, and she could absolutely imagine Johann saying the same thing. This was just drink between sparring partners.

“Yeah sure, why not. Gives me a chance to burn off some of the metals I’d eaten before I head down for my next one on one. Although that one I know I’m gonna lose. Now, c’mon, I wanna try something,” Willow spoke as she began to walk back towards the lift chamber; popping a Mithril bearing as she went. Once back in the central shaft, she looked up the dim well as she quickly took stock. With a self-satisfied nod, she burned Adamantine again to lighten Diligence, and the Mithril to lighten herself. Then she grabbed Diligence’s arm and used Steel to push of against the various metal signatures scattered around. With their weights drastically reduced, the Steel pushes were mostly for course correction as they ascended the shaft.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

“Try wh-aa–AAAUGGGH!”

Diligence flagged in the wake of Willow, throwing her off as they began their ascent. A gentle glow from above gave the Allomancer enough guidance to know where she was going, but the grand width of the shaft and the thickness of the darkness made it hard to see. Even with the light on her helmet, there was only dark, featureless space to cut through as they rose.

“Heh! Lookit this! I’m flyin’!” laughed Diligence, bursting into another fit of laughter.

As his bubbling mirth filled the echoing chamber, the walls grew with light again. Before they made it through the hole in the ceiling, Willow was given a sight of many colored metals and jems glittering brightly in the wide space that was the ‘Heart of the Mountain’. It looked like a cathedral of nature and stone, with tall windows of glowing minerals that only grew brighter as Diligence became more joyous.

Rising up, they passed the bottom working level of the mountain, seeing a few quarrids scratching their heads as they saw their boss and Willow floating up to the top. When they passed the lift going down, a group of workers aboard ran to the edge to see the sight. Those that weren't awed by the sight of the flying pair, were amazed by the happiness that exuded from the Foreman, and the light it inspired in the veins and walls of the mountain.

“Oi! Boss, you can fly now!?” asked one of the miners, waving an arm at them.

“Nah, this freight elevator just has style!” quipped Diligence, shaking Willow’s arm, and inspiring the crew on the ledge to laugh as well.

When they reached the third level from the top, the mountain shook again, and the scenes of curious quarrids were replaced by hurried quarrids. The closer they got to the top, the more they saw workers running up the hewn ramps in the walls. Some were going back down, taking megaphones with them. Clattering bells began to ring at all levels. At this, Diligence stopped laughing.

“Something’s wrong,” he said, grabbing onto Willow, staring up at the now bright light of the surface room.

As they cleared the walkways of the top level, Diligence threw himself off, landing near a building group of workers who were crowded near the passageway to the main hall.

“Tha’ fuck is goin’ on?” demanded the demi-god.

A throng near him turned, and Yvette having come up with the others was the only one of them with the power to speak.

“The Silver Tyrant is in the courtyard, the Mountain Guard are holding a barricade in the main hall.”

Diligence’s eyes had that same glint in them Willow had seen in the depths when they had ‘sparred’, but there was none of the playfulness. What warmth he had on the ride up was now being incensed by the oils of aged hatred. The Forge God clenched his fists, as he spat flames to speak the name.

“Noble. Changed his fuckin’ mind, huh?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

Willow’s test worked in multiple ways. Mainly, she found she was able to traverse the shaft without needing to wait for the elevator. An added bonus was practicing her use of Steel in places where she couldn’t see. Of all her metals, Steel and Iron were peculiar in a specific way. The lines that stretched between herself and metals out in the environment were always visible to her. Or, perhaps more precisely, she was always aware of the lines even if her eyes are closed, in the dark, or with her back to the source. It was an aspect she actively chose not to think about as it made her brain itch, so she just accepted that it was the way of things. That said, she’d noticed it in the ore heavy tunnel during her fight with Diligence, the blue lines were very plentiful, and in theory she could use it to see even in pitch darkness by sensing walls and obstacles; although she’d doubted she’d want to make a habit of it as it similarly made her brain itch, not to mention people and non-metallic objects were immune. Hell, that strategy could be countered by someone swinging an aluminum bat at her, or throwing a soda can at her head.

There was also the added benefit of Diligence’s elevated mood. That was something she understood perfectly. The feeling of being able to slip away from gravity for a minute was thrilling, even if Willow’s ability wasn’t quite flying so much as getting thrown. It was going great, at least up until the commotion up top turned Dillen dour again. When it was revealed that Noble had arrived. Immediately Willow stepped in front of the Artisan and raised a cautionary finger.

“Hey. Diligence. Is this gonna be a problem?” Willow’s tone was tense, and her body language suggested she was ready to intervene. “You’re done being angry too. Your own words. Keep that mindset. You don’t need to make friends, but maybe it’s time to bury the hatchet.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

A churlish look of indignance blossomed on the demi-god’s face, being reminded of his own words. His fist had gone past tightening and were beginning to curl in under him. Snaking white jets of fire streaked up the sides of his head, and steam began to build over him. The quarrids around the two began to step back.

Then, with a heavy sigh, Diligence slumped his shoulders, looking like an engine with a dead radiator.

“Fine. Whateva’. I don’ care. I’m not gunna’ get angry.”

A silence spread over the assembled workers, as they looked at their artisan.

“Open the door, an’ close it behind us. We’re gunna have them take down the barricade.”

Unspoken words were exchanged between the crewmembers manning the doors, but when they saw the eyes of their leader, they opened the heavy stone doors. Diligence made his way past Willow, quietly counting under his breath, and entered into the main hall, which was empty save for a few guards bracing pillars of stone against the vast door to the cavernhome. Occasionally, the sounds of hammers would jar and shudder the door.

A quarrid in heavy, brass-colored armor seemed to be arguing with Phyllis. The two were on the verge of getting violent, when brass quarrid saw her artisan.

“Foreman! We’ve got him locked outside. No way he’s gettin’ in.”

“What are the losses?”

“None! He couldn’t withstand us, we even managed to clip–...”

“Let him in.”

“--... what?”

A mixture of emotions ranged over the guards manning the barricades. Some looked excited, as if they were about to see a once-in-a-lifetime sort of event. The more battered, bruised quarrids were scrambling for their weapons. Diligence made a move with his hand to emphasize the order, and the squad went to work lifting the pillars from the door. As soon as the pressure was released, another strike hammered the door open, sending a few of the troops flying back into the halls.

In the clearing dust of the entryway, stood the silhouette of Noble, with his back to them. A look of deadly purpose shimmered in his eyes, which was only tempered by the appearance of Diligence and Willow. As he strode forward, he stopped in the wake of several spears and halberds rising to halt any further advance.

“Willow,” Noble spoke breathlessly, wiping blood from his mouth, “Diligence.”

“Tch.”

The winged-centaur came into the light to reveal a myriad of wounds. Bolts of crossbows peppered the front of his breastplate, and sundering strikes had bruised and cut his body. One of his wings was gone, shorn near the base of its joint. Yet, it didn’t hinder Noble’s stature.

“I’ve come to see you, I heard your call, I came as fast as I could,” spoke Noble, casting aside his rifle that he seemed to be wielding like a club, “May I enter the care of Dyrnwyn, the mightiest of her sisters?”

Diligence opened his mouth to speak, an intense stretch of his features showing a sign of what he wanted to say, but a quick glance at Willow caused him to hold it in. He shoved his hands in his pockets and slouched, before gritting his teeth.

“Nah,” the forge god dismissed him out of hand, and began to walk off, “I’m gettin’ a drink with one a’my real friends. Thanks for comin’ by.”

What hope Noble showed on his fell away with his pride and austerity. One of his hands rose, and then fell to his side. He searched the room, as if something there would help him.

Then he looked at Willow, pleading with all the meaning his stricken, golden eyes could muster.
Straken

Post by Straken »

A concerned look sat on Willow’s face as she looked between Diligence and Noble. For Diligence it was because she was unsure if his temper would hold. For Noble it was the injuries he had sustained. For a moment she started to feel hopeful that Dil would make an effort here, but then the Artisan decided to pout and leave. Meeting Noble’s eyes, the Brit sighed and rolled her eyes before eating a Pewter bearing. Turning, she caught up with Diligence before delivering a crisp kick to his rear end. Then with a firm hand she grabbed his shoulder and turned him around to look at her while burning Adamantine to make him lighter again. She’d been tempted to grab him by the ear for effect, but that’d be a bit too condescending.

“Hey hey, well done, ya didn’t blow your lid,” Willow’s smile was sharp and her gaze was intense as she stared down the demi-god. “Let’s keep up the hard work and try for an actual conversation. After all, you were the one who called him here, remember. The horn? The one you blew after tackling me? So march back over there and actually talk, will ya? Or by a lick and a promise I swear I will suplex you right back down that elevator shaft.”