[The Keep] Walking to Skye

Straken

Re: [The Keep] Walking to Skye

Post by Straken »

At this time in the evening there were only a few ardent scholars still lingering in the Library along the course the three teens took toward Lecture Hall A. The conversation had dwindled a bit as Satya and Brooke felt somewhat awkward after Drysi had to experience one of the less pleasant aspects of the Order, but before long they neared the edge of the Library where Satya turned them and walked a little further along. They came to a large oak door that was unadorned and simple in its construction; with a small sign above it that read Lecture Hall A.

“Here we are!~” Satya chimed as she gave Drysi a broad smile. She gave Brooke one as well, as it appeared the older teen had grown nervous and seemed to be sweating. With a chuckle and a pat on the American druid’s shoulder, Satya pushed the door open. Inside was a modestly sized auditorium that stepped downward towards a speaking platform and a staggeringly large old style slate blackboard. One the platform was a desk, a speaking lectern, and two druids.

“...The Children of Donn were whipped out a millenia…” spoke the older man before cutting off and turning around to look at the newcomers; it was Chief Lecturer Engleby. He stood on one side of the desk pointing to a text that lay open. Ruarc stood opposite of him, with a peculiar looking adolescent owl right beside him.

“Drysi,” Ruarc spoke as he looked up, one of his hands moving some papers over the text. “I thought I had said to notify me when you arrived.”

His tone was oddly stern, like he had been caught doing something he shouldn’t have been. Almost immediately he lightened as he recognized it was unfair, and he moved around the desk to approach the trio.

“How was your dinner? And I see you made some friends?” Ruarc inquired, sounding rather perplexed by the latter; but confusion diffused to modest pride at his pupil venturing outside of her comfort zone. He turned his attention to the other two druids. “I appreciate you accompanying my apprentice during her first time in the Keep. My name is Ruarc Flynn.”

Ruarc moved his hand forward to shake their hands, and as quick as a pouncing cat Brooke had extended hers as well and eagerly shook the Irishman’s hand.

“Brooke Keeper of the Fifth Circle Campbells, sir!” Brooke continued to shake Ruarc’s hand, and spoke by looking about a foot above Ruarc’s head as she blushed. Ruarc looked a little dumbfounded, but pieced together what had been said.

“Nice to meet you, Brooke Campbell of the Fifth Circle Keepers,” he didn’t exactly call her out, but spoke simply as though she had correctly introduced herself. This however didn’t seem to work as her blush deepened, all while continuing to shake his hand. “Might I have my hand back?”

“Yes sir!” Brooke said, her hand leaving the shake and turning into a salute before quickly turning around and looking like she was about to cry. Taking a moment to give Drysi a questioning look, he turned and similarly greeted Satya who returned the greeting with far more poise.

“Good evening, young Miss Maelgwyn,” Engleby greeted Drysi as he hobbled over. “How are you finding Carneath? Are Miss Mahajan and Miss Campbell providing a tour? Or have they managed to finally recruit someone from the Third Circle into their adventuring party?”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Since Drysi had made her outburst, both Brooke and Satya had been treated to her moody, sullen side. It was irritating, having lost her temper, despite having done so well. She only withdrew more when she realized that she had forgotten Ruarc's direction from earlier. From there, most of her words had failed her, thankfully stifling a half-baked attempt in blaming her inability to text on her hand. Instead, she just let Brooke have her moment.

Then came Engleby.

Drysi lit up with a content smile. She liked the old man, both for what he represented in the order and for the fact he seemed so invested in others. Engleby was arguably more important to the order than the Ard Rhys himself, but here he was, sparing time for her master, and by the merit of her visit, herself.

"Recruited in classical fashion, I'd say, met at a tavern and everything," Drysi curtsied warmly, "Fine evenin' to ya, Chief Lecturer Engleby. My day was very…"

The apprentice shielded her mouth with a limp wrist as she did her best to suppress a drowsy yawn. "... very educational, and… I'd say fulfillin'. So fulfillin' I'd even thought of staying.
Thank you so much for helping arrange it."

Her three eyes wavered over and caught sight of the owl. "Oh iffin'isn't Maeve. I… hadn' saw her on the trip over?"

The owl straightened at the mention of her name, having been preoccupied with the awkward meeting between Ruarc and Brooke. A pair of illuminating eyes pivoted on Drysi, and the triclops felt that distinct curiosity whenever she caught the intelligent glance of an animal familiar.

"They're all quite so dear, tha' wee wains. Tha' side-shave lass is just a'flitcherin', she seems terribly fond of ye, but by the look of her, ye might gae her a moment. Looks like she's bout t'boke," the scottish Owl spoke gently in that way only Ruarc could hear, "Oh, Ruarc, ye'r appran'tice looks to be favorin' her hand a wee bit."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"You hurt your hand?" Ruarc asked Drysi, his tone dissecting as he looked down towards the girl’s hand. The look on his face was more analytical than concerned as he had quickly moved past such worry given the fact that Drysi wasn’t being dramatic about it. Now he simply seemed curious as to how the girl had possibly hurt herself inside of the Keep.

“Was it from when you punched the bookshelf?” Brooke was the next to speak up, seeming to shove her embarrassment and disappointment to the side to focus on her new friend’s well-being. “Your form was… uh… not good, so not surprised you’re feeling it.”

“An unwise action, young druid,” Engleby joined as he repositioned to face the initiate. “The shelves in my library have stood longer than Carneath itself. They’re not to be taken lightly in a fight. Now, if I may…”

Engleby gently took Drysi’s injured hand, and with a whispered chant passed his other hand over top. The girl could feel the pain receding and finally disappearing after a few short moments. Spell concluded, Engleby smiled warmly and patted Drysi’s hand with a grandfatherly care.

“So this is the second familiar?” came Satya’s voice. Ruarc turned to see the Eighth Circle druid had chosen to creep closer to Maeve amid the various distractions. “I’ve never seen such a species. Perhaps fey in origin? Could explain how a second bond was able to form.”

“Indeed. As my apprentice mentioned, this is Maeve,” Ruarc answered plainly. While he didn’t particularly mind meeting new druids, he hadn’t expected Drysi to bring an audience to a meeting he’d been trying to keep quiet; a fact Drysi could hear hints of in his voice. Turning his head back towards Drysi, he seemed to be more in Instructor Mode. “And Drysi, how has your independent research been faring?”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"It's comin' along well."

Drysi's voice sounded parched as she saw her Master's eyes fall upon her in that gravely way. It was the same look he had when she and Willow had overstayed their welcome at the cottage. She had barely time to thank Engleby for curing her hand of foolishness before this had come on. For a moment, she had relished the concern, but now she prefered to be invisible.

"I have," the triclops swallowed, running her hands through her thick locks, "I have worked out the function of the item. With pro–... proper focus…"

This was embarrassing. Her new friends didn't know she was in trouble, but she knew she was in trouble. Engleby was standing right there, he could probably tell. The girl's words began to trail off.

Then, she felt something light in her, a resolute stubbornness, like an old oak that refused to bend in the wind. Her friends gave her confidence she hadn't before. Engleby provided a sense of motivation to impress in a way that an ambitious young druid could appreciate. The Apprentice of Ruarc Flynn would not wilt! Not even to Ruarc Flynn!

"... you can project a field that suppresses magic," her little voice creaked back to life, "I have what I need to tell Chief Mastrogiacomo its function, but I was goin' t'peruse the library to see if I could learn more of its parts to divine its purpo–..."

Snap! Hangh! Hangh!

The odd snow owl had opened its wings and clapped its beak at Satya's clinical curiosity. Maeve let out a couple of threatening calls, demanding space.

"Back, you! Ah've ad quite enough of bein' pooked, prodded and examined."
Straken

Post by Straken »

“I believe I don’t need to translate for her,” Ruarc said as Satya stumbled backwards. The Indian girl laughed nervously before offering up her apologies to both Maeve and Ruarc.

“She’s just so lovely I couldn’t resist trying to get a closer look,” Satya said as she backed away towards Brooke. The two stood beside each other as they recovered from their respective embarrassments, and Ruarc turned his attention back to Drysi. With a swipe of his arm the Irishman revealed a wristwatch and seemed surprised by the time. “A suppression field? A bit like…”

Ruarc caught himself before saying more.

“That’s good work, Drysi. Just be mindful of the time. You meet with Mastrogiacomo in the morning,” Ruarc cautioned.

“And many an inquisitive mind has been enthralled by the Archives until the wee hours of the morning,” Engleby added with a light laugh.

“And somehow it’s never snared you, Brooke,” Satya chided the American, but quiet enough to not draw attention.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Appeased, Maeve let her wings fold in before coming alight with a pale glow. Her form melted away and peeled over to Ruarc in a blink, reforming upon his shoulder to look down at the girls with similar austerity. It had an weighty effect on Drysi's resolve as she continued to feel a bit more and more out of place.

Taking a couple steps back, mentally, she realized that they were imposing. Now that her hand didn't hurt, she could think a bit more clearly.

"I was hoping…" Drysi began, her words stepping past a long yawn, "that I may nap in the library. If it's quite normal for…"

She yawned again, "... Quite normal for people to stay through the morning, I figured I…"

Another yawn cut her off, "...feckin' hell. I figured I could catnap before the presentation, and make the most of my time among the books. For that matter, I should get started."

Drysi put her hands together, rubbing her palms in anticipation of her work.

"Alright, girls," she said, "I believe my Master and the Chief Lecturer were discussin' important things, so we best be on now. I've also got to get crackin' on my studies."

Her three, tired eyes flashed a parting look over her shoulder at Ruarc while ushering Brooke and Satya away, "I won' embarrass you this time."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc looked as though he were going to respond, but held his tongue. There were a number of things he had considered commenting on, foremost being that she would get much better rest up in her room. Goodness knows he’d fallen asleep in the library more than once, so perhaps it was almost like a rite of passage. Instead the Irishman gave a short wave to the departing trio before turning back towards Chief Engleby.

“Apprentices are quite the marvel, aren’t they?” Engleby chuckled as he returned to the table and the teenagers had exited the hall.

“That they are,” Ruarc offered, sounding non-committal; to which Engleby seemed to scrutinize with the same analytical look the other man had given Drysi. Ruarc wilted slightly. “It’s quite alright, now where were we?”

A piece of rolled up ethereal paper swat Ruarc’s forehead before dispersing into stardust, and the Irishman practically yelped in surprise.

“You have proven yourself an adept druid, and even impressed enough individuals to earn being called an archdruid, but do not think you are beyond learning lessons of your own. Teaching an apprentice is vastly different from fighting. And it just so happens that I earned being called an archdruid through education. I would urge you, young Flynn, to take any opportunity you can to ask for advice,” Engleby stood straight with his chin lifted sternly upward to meet Ruarc’s eyes. The old man was truly formidable, and Ruarc didn’t even want to try deflecting; Engleby was in Lecturer Mode.

“I barely feel like I have a grasp on my own life, and somehow I’m s’posed ta guide Drysi?” Ruarc finally said, sighing heavily and rubbing the side of his head. “The kid is sharp. And then this morning when we met with Chief Mastrogiacomo, I can’t think of a time when I felt that out of place. I guess I’m just a little worried her potential is wasted as my apprentice.”

Ruarc chuckled before adding, “Maybe see about her apprenticing under Mastrogiacomo. Once she sees what Drysi can do…”

“Would that make you happy? Losing both of your apprentices to other masters,” Engleby asked.

“It would help them…” Ruarc started.

“That’s not what I asked,” Engleby cut in. “I asked if you would be happy.”

“No. I suppose not,” Ruarc said after a tangible pause.

“Then there is your motivation. An apprenticeship is a two-fold deal. Drysi learns from you, and you learn from her. She is more than just a student, and you aren’t her employer. I know that for one so young, the years have given you more than your share of tests, and presented you with reasons to shut yourself away; but it is my personal wish to see you embrace this opportunity to challenge yourself. Who knows, you might just find it rewarding enough to keep taking on apprentices after Drysi leaves the nest.”

“Did you ever have a hard time? When you started taking on apprentices, I mean.”

“Damn right I did. Wanted nothing more than to be buried in books for all of my days, but that boy just kept pestering me.”

“Your first apprentice was Ard Rhys Clarke, if I recall.”

“Quite so. I thought the lad was looney, why else would a young Keeper ask an Archivist to take him on as an Apprentice?”

“Makes sense for how well read Clarke is.”

“Wanted to understand magic down to its purest essence, and ended up giving me a hobby for teaching and lesson planning in exchange.”

“What was he like when he was young? It’s kind of hard to imagine.”

“Much as he is now. Always looking forward, but lacking the experience needed to check his feet. Lad was always tripping over himself, both figuratively and literally; but never had I seen a more driven individual.”

Engleby laughed lightly. “Perhaps you’re training a future Ard Rhys yourself.”

Ruarc looked back towards the door, but then returned his attention to the table and its notes.

Back out in the library Brooke and Satya separated themselves from Drysi’s ushering soon after the door closed. Satya was apologetic, but Brooke seemed a little starstruck even amid the apparent embarrassment.

“Sorry if we got you into any trouble, Drysi,” Satya offered. “I’d offer some help with your research, but it sounds more independent so we won't intrude further. Just promise you won’t stay up too late, alright?”

“Yeah, these library chairs aren’t great for sleeping in, and ya don’t want ta be late for your morning thing,” Brooke added as she gave a lopsided smile and clasped her hands behind her head.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"I don't know when I might be comin’ back," yawned Drysi, tugging out a small piece of paper that she had pulled from her notes, "I have t'make this presentation count, so that I can do some credit to myself and my master. One of these books has got the answer to the component runes, I just need to find it."

The hunt for that answer was already a tall order, for something that was likely the last ten percent of full grade. She found herself less thrilled of the effort than before dinner. There was only so much time left, and part of her wanted to spend it in a way that wasn't working. She could sense it of Gideon too, even as he began to return to her, he wanted more of this place. She wanted more of this place, of her new friends.

At first, Drysi looked as though she were about to go charging into the dim of the library. Then, she spun on Brooke and Satya, throwing her arms around them in a sudden, group embrace.

"You guys are just cracker, I'm glad we met," spoke Drysi swiftly, awkwardly breaking loose and wiping her eyes, "But I gotta work. Y'know. And, um..."

The apprentice started making a swift retreat as her eyes became more wet, "Bye!"
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Course kid,” Brooke chuckled as Drysi hugged her and Satya, getting in a solid hair ruffle before parting. “You have our numbers. Chat anytime, ‘kay?”

“It’s been fun, and welcome to the Order!” Satya called after, a haunting shhhh practically blew down the shelves on an ethereal wave from a librarian telling her to quiet down.

Making her way further into the Library, Drysi found herself back at the main corridor through the library. To one side she could see the entrance, and the other the corridor led deeper into the mountain. Above her rose a vaulted ceiling four stories up with railed balconies for the upper floors Drysi glimpsed in other openings. Taking time to get a good look now that she had nowhere pressing to be, she saw the ceiling was ornamented with what appeared to be randomly floating lights. Panning across the view, the lights directly above her seemed to form a pattern that aligned with a faint image further up. It was the constellation Pisces. All of the lights represented major constellations when viewed from the right angle, and even a number of minor constellations were woven into the tapestry of light. Further down the corridor about a hundred or so there was a T-intersection, and at the cross stood a curious sight. Stonehenge. Or at least a an array of standing stones reminiscent of Stonehenge, and in its center sat an impressive orrery.

At the T, Drysi could also see that the back wall on the first floor was built with ten apses set into it with secluded seating areas, while the corridor to either side held a number of long tables. This was also where the staircases up were found. The first flight consisted of one impressive set of stairs to either side, flanked by stone half columns. The upper flights crisscrossed the corridor here and there, taking individuals through the constellations floating above. Further up the back wall were more bookshelves set into the wall rather than perpendicular. The wall was adorned with a carving in the stone that read The Druid Grand Archive. Exposed stone walls separating sections of shelves and floors on this wall were carved with intricate detail that Drysi couldn’t make out from here. Carneath Keep may be considered the home of the Keeper Circle, but Drysi found herself now in the Hall of the Sages.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

It was like the pages of a storybook about witches and wizards come to life. This was what Drysi pictured when she heard the word mage, the warren of a beast of learning, fat with knowledge. She had seen the library described once in an account written by a member of the Somatics.

Words could not do it justice.

Being a part of the 1st Circle, learning under Engleby, all of it had been tempting, but Drysi had found herself too restless for the life of a Sage. Sages protected what was, Keepers protected what is, but Researchers protected what will be. Drysi would use this knowledge to make things to protect her friends, her Master and kill the bastard that wronged her and her own.

Now she just needed to find it first. For a while she wandered, staring at the features of the halls before she tracked down some texts on runes. The rune on the links of the bracelet was not a generic one, but she might get some direction by divining the shape. Plus, if she managed to find something written on it or its function, she'd just need to find the book it referred to.

This would be an all-nighter for sure, but she could sleep it off when she got home. She set herself at one of the small alcoves to skim the text for clues. Then, she let Gideon know where she was. Finally, everything set out, she opened the book…

Whomp.

… and fell right asleep, her head having slammed into the book and rolled aside onto the desk.