[The Forest] The Path Less Traveled By

Straken

[The Forest] The Path Less Traveled By

Post by Straken »

Three Weeks After Dust

The day had been pleasant; hot, but with a nice breeze and very low humidity. The school grounds had been similarly pleasant with a number of students gone. Not that there was anything wrong with having a lot of students around, but more that there was something quaint and relaxing about the manor ground when everyone was either reading or quietly chatting. Now the day was winding down and the sun was nearing the far ridgeline. The air was cooling, the blue sky was shifting to yellow and orange, and bird songs were traded out for crickets.

Ruarc Flynn sat under the pergola of his patio, content to simply cradle a once-full tea cup. Perking up momentarily at the sound of a couple of students passing by the cottage and wishing him a good night, Ruarc waved cordially before returning to his quiet contemplation. Judging by the sun it was just about time. His apprentice, Drysi Maelgwyn, was due to show up soon for an evening training session.
Kokuten

Re: [The Forest] The Path Less Traveled By

Post by Kokuten »

A hooded girl with three sparkling eyes pushed through the gate, stepping down the path. Under her arm was a hefty book with a heavy, iron binding, the other shoulder supported a bag burdened with books, paper and other daily essentials. She bounced as she walked, not out of any sense of tardiness, but from a sense of eagerness.

Without Willow around all the time to soak up her attention, Drysi found herself in need of finding other avenues of expressing her energies. Her... very good friend... as Drysi would describe it in not-so-subtle ways, was off training with Ms. Smith, but her newfound relationship had enriched her with a greater zest for everything. It felt less embarassing to be excited for things, less frightening to consider the future, and less difficult to just be herself. Ruarc could see it, if he as watching, how she stepped up the lane and came to a prim stop at his patio.

"Good evenin' Master Flynn," greeted Drysi, pulling her hood back. She had let her hair grow, the length having inched slowly past her shoulders with a few golden locks flowing on the front of her shoulders. More noticeably, she had exchanged her large, circular glasses for a set of more manageable, rectangular ones. "Am I too early today?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Not at all,” Ruarc affirmed as he greeted his apprentice with a wave and a smile. Stretching and relishing the comfortable feeling, he pushed himself up out of his seat before grabbing his spent tea cup. “Gonna jus’ set this inside, then we can get going.”

Leaving Drysi to wait or follow as she chose, Ruarc turned and went inside through the patio door. The evening sun painted the quiet cottage in a cozy blend of warm colors as the light passed through the drapes. The sound of Ruarc’s shoes seemed to resonate through the slumbering wood as he walked down the short hall to the main room and the kitchen. As he rounded the corner he saw the only current occupant of the home; the gently snoring bundle of fluff that was Alva. The dog was sleeping beneath the dining table, but lifted his head lazily as the Irishman approached. A warm smile from his master put Alva at ease, and he flumped his head back down onto a cushion-like ear. With a soft clink Ruarc sat the used tea cup next to a small collection of similar dishware. Stepping out the front door, Ruarc gentured for Drysi to follow along. With his student in tow he began to walk down the path leading into the woods.

“How have you been liking your training, Drysi?” Ruarc asked after a short while.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

When Ruarc came back out, Drysi had her book open over her hand, and appeared to be reviewing some notes. At his signal, her hand folded closed and the book similarly snapped shut. The tome tucked itself under her arm and she stepped up to his side as they walked. Had he noticed it or not, she always made an effort to walk at his side when they went into the forest. The Wilderwood was a wide and scary place for her, but she made a firm effort to be courageous against the bad memories.

Were she to become a druid, this sort of place would become her jurisdiction, and she did what she could to overcome her fears. She even tried to be brave when it came to the animals. Interactions with the wildlife was easier these days, considering they no longer smelled the presence of Bleddyn on her.

After they cleared a narrow path, she padded back up to his side.

“More than I thought I would,” answered Drysi, gripping the straps of her bag, “I was worried that my knowledge wouldn’t cross over, but a lot of the foundations are the same. I’m even coming along to runecraftin’, the stone kind, not my cheater-paper kind. Although, you gotta admit, my cheater-paper runes are pretty creative. Third Circle material, you might say!”

She spoke proudly of her progress, a little, pursed smile on face.
Straken

Post by Straken »

With casual steps, Ruarc moved along the paths that he had walked countless times before; in both day and night. He understood the hesitation Drysi had with this forest, and made a point of keeping stride with his short apprentice. The fact that the young girl was able to walk as confidently as she was now spoke of the wonderful progress she had made. She had entered these woods as a rather challenging youth when he had given her and her now friends a game of a lesson, and she showed that even then she could work towards a goal even if she had doubts. She’d faced a personal hell not far from where they walked in these woods, and had come out of it strong; with no help from him. She had fought alongside her friends and himself in Hawai’i. What’s more, not terribly long after he had told her to leave such matters to him, her involvement quite possibly helped him come away from it alive and rather unscathed.

“You’ve done well, Drysi,” Ruarc said, his warm voice filling the dimly lit forest path. “I’m proud of you, and the progress you’ve made.”

The Druid continued to walk the path stoically with his protégé in tow. The pair moved through the waning light until it was finally too dark to proceed safely.

“Drysi, if you would, light the way.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The compliment to her progress almost made her chest burst. Drysi was much like Laoise in her pride, and was susceptible to flattery, more so to genuine praise. She looked away as she pursed the smile that tried to show shut. From Ruarc's perspective, it looked as though her hackles had raised, but the redness in her face was soft.

"Thank you, Master Flynn," she said, finally, looking up at him with a gentle glow.

After that, they proceeded in silence. In the first few weeks of her apprenticeship, Drysi would try to talk through these empty spaces, before she realized that Mr. Flynn was, in fact, a quiet person. So, instead, she occupied her mind with her own running thoughts and theories. Occasionally she would open her book, and write something down, while there was still light left.

When there was none, she readily produced the book when some was requested.

"Yes sir," dutifully answered Drysi as a carved rune on the spine of her book began to glow. This mystic mechanism had been a follow up project to her Paper Runes.

From the iron binding on the spine, light spread through the iron infused filigree inked into the leather. Each side of the book had three moons drawn with this ink on each side. Once the glow from the wiry filigree met these moons, the rune's spell amplified and light burst forth like a powerful lantern.

The book opened and with her paper magic she faced its cover outward, projecting a voluminous beam of lumens towards the path ahead.
Straken

Post by Straken »

With a single, simple nod Ruarc showed his approval before continuing on down the path. It was a tad bright, but fulfilled Ruarc’s request so he didn’t nitpick. Continuing the silent walk with a soundtrack orchestrated by all manner of forest creatures, Ruarc led the young triclops down a branching path that she’d surely recognize. Off the side of the path a bit further along was a large ancient tree, around which Drysi and her contemporaries had done battle, and where the teen had come perilously close to losing herself.

“You have come a long way in your time at this school, Drysi,” Ruarc said as he slowed his pace. He knew this place would make Drysi uncomfortable and dredge up bad memories, but that was the point. As he looked off toward the tree he spoke again.

“But the path ahead is long, and dangers can be waiting around any corner. You saw this first hand in Hawai’i, and I’m afraid there are yet more dangers lying in wait. They might look like friends, or they might look like Alexei. I was also shown that despite my best efforts there is only so much I can do to safeguard you against the villains that wait along the path ahead. From here on out your training is going to get harder, and your only options are to continue, or to turn back.”

The tall man turned, looking ahead once more.

“Shall we continue?”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The beam from the book angled on to the tree, which had faced terrible abuse at the hands of herself, possessed by Bleddyn. Memories of waking up in the middle of the woods, alone and scared, began creeping up her spine. There were nights where she would snap into consciousness at the tree, her hands dirty with work, carving some strange sigil into the earth. As her recollection began to grow, her tolerance for the woods began to wane, and she began to become fearful again. A gentle wind blew through the boughs and its voice carried the distant laugh of her demented grandmother. Her hand curled, and clenched at Mr. Flynn's shirt. Drysi was trembling, her eyes unable to break off of the tree and what it represented to her.

Then, with the gloom behind the light casting a harsh shadow on her soft face, Ruarc saw a look of fierce determination.

"We... We shall," Drysi managed, her nerves shaking her voice. She was scared now, but unwilling to stop, having placed her trust in her master, "But I need something to... to hold on to. My... My legs are a bit tired..."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Placing a steadying hand on his apprentice’s shoulder, Ruarc wondered momentarily if he should call the walk off, but he steeled himself and carefully maneuvered Drysi so she was leaning against a tree. From there he walked into the glade towards the large tree, uttering a few words as he walked. A large limb of the tree leaned downward to meet the druid, and after a brief pause he gripped a branch and snapped it with a crack that pierced the night. Cleaning the branch as he returned to the path, Ruarc presented to Drysi a gnarled dead branch of the old tree. Long enough and sturdy enough, she could use it as a walking stick.

“Stand firm in the face of fear, and use the trials of yesterday to help you through what comes tomorrow,” the druid’s voice was stoic as he held the length of wood. “The path is long, Miss Maelgwyn. Keep your feet, lest you lose your way.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Watching Mr. Flynn approach the old tree, Drysi's active imagination pictured the drooping limbs reaching down to snap the man up by his neck. When the limbs actually began to move, her heart began to drum a warlike beat and she held tight to the yew that supported her. Her eyes shut tight at the loud crack, but when she opened them, there was no horrid scene awaiting her.

It was just Mr. Flynn, and a piece of the tree that had shared in her pain, offered to her.

"Um..." Drysi's voice cracked in protest, the fear driving irrational thoughts, "I... I don't..."

Just when it seemed she wouldn't take it, her hand carefully reached out. Gripping the gnarled end, she set it next to her and swayed one way to test her weight on it. The rod bent just so, carrying that bit of her with ease. Ruarc could see the understanding form in her mind through her eyes and with the ease in her posture.

Staff in hand, book in the other, she looked up at him again. The tenacious fear was gone, replaced by a solemn readiness

"I can do this."