[Cottage] Denial

Kokuten

[Cottage] Denial

Post by Kokuten »

Safeholme
The Cottage
During Under Advisement

In the days when she had been possessed by a vengeful old spirit, Drysi Maelgwyn had been hard to approach. Since the break from that spirit, she had become almost enjoyable to be around, finding common ground with many of her classmates. Like most triclopsi, she had sought succor in people where the comfort of oneself could not be found. She didn't need buffers anymore, nor did she need to apologize for churlish behavior, Drysi was Drysi, and some found it to be a good thing.

"Good afternoon, Drysi," greeted Sun Liu Wei, catching the triclops as she stormed up the green from the gate.

"What's so good about it?" snarled Drysi in response behind her COVID-era mask.

Today was a reminder of the old days.

"... I..." Liu Wei didn't have somethong ready for that, "... Drysi are you alright?"

"I'm fine, thank you." she answered, brusquely, continuing her way to the groundskeeper's home.

The door of Ruarc Flynn's cottage swung open suddenly, before the first violation of Flynn's household rules was committed. Drysi slammed the alder front door, making a raucous noise with its iron hinges. The next offense followed as she failed to announce herself, immediately making for the stairs. Then the third offense rung in the sound of her shoes stomping on each plank as went up the stairs to seclude herself.
Straken

Re: [Cottage] Denial

Post by Straken »

Drysi's search for seclusion in the cozy study of the comfortable cottage brought her instead into the company of her mentor; Ruarc Flynn, Druid Keeper. The man was standing in front of one of the large bookcases on the far side of the room with a couple of books tucked under his arm, and the motion of his hand as it traced across the spines suggested he was searching for another one. With his back to the stairs the look on his face was out of sight as Drysi crested the plane of the top floor. Almost to the exact moment the teen became aware of the druid he spoke.

"Drysi," the Irishman's voice was as firm as bedrock, and it filled the room. "What's the matter?"

Ruarc's hand continued to traverse the shelf in front of him, and then suddenly it struck like a crane snatching a fish from the water. With the book in hand he added it to the small collection tucked under his arm he turned to look over his shoulder at the newcomer. His face was placid, but his eyes were stern and piercing. Turning around to fully face his protégé, his posture gave the clear indication that he expected an answer.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The bonds of master and apprentice were something of an ancient matter, even by the standards of the druid order. With the advent of institutes and centers of education in the various arts of magic, such practices became much less common practice. Masters could teach swaths of new students with no need to establish connection or bonds, instead impressing upon them the lessons necessary to become users of the gifted arts. Ruarc Flynn's first apprentice had been an Allomancer, a girl who lacked the proper flow of magic to establish one of those unique connections. His second apprentice, once a simple mentee, had thrown herself into the role; she drank voraciously of druidic knowledge and her connection to his magic was not just present, but strong.

Turbulence strained that connection in this moment, particularly from Drysi's end. Their eyes met through the frame of a couple of balusters and the floor of the second second level. She had characteristically shuddered at the mention of her name, completely missing Flynn's presence in the room. Ruarc could see, past her glasses, her expressive eyes giving away the thoughts that considered testing the boundaries of their working relationship by defying his implicit demand. Instead, she slowly began to make her way back down the stairs as she seemed to be welling up with something powerful.

"She!" Drysi started suddenly, tapping more gingering down and circling the end of the bannister at the bottom. She nearly tripped, and almost stumbled into tragedy before catching herself. Wiser than she had been before her encounter in the Wilderwood, she turned way, breathing a few steadying breaths, before spinning back around again.

"She--!"

Realizing now that she was in a safe place, she yanked off the cloth mask, revealing her sharpened teeth.

"She left us," roiled Drysi, her hands clenching in the air as if she were holding the last of her life savings, "She just up and left us! After everything! She's just up and running to someone else! Somewhere else!"
Last edited by Kokuten on Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Back upstairs Ruarc stayed planted where he was as he seemed to chew on the words. Drysi was quite clearly upset, and this was a conversation he was expecting to have with the girl at some point; but Ruarc had Sumedha on staff for a reason. As his apprentice Drysi was his responsibility however, and Ruarc would handle it. Stepping forward, the sharp clack of hard soled shoes could be heard through the floor. Stopping briefly to place his books down on an end table the sound of footsteps continued to move towards the stairs before descending in a steady cadence.

First to be seen were his brown Oxfords that appeared to have hints of red near the toe. Then came the dark blue denim that the Irishman still insisted on wearing unless he was in the most businessy of business meetings. A humble leather belt with a polished buckle transitioned to a tucked in dark brown cotton button-up with rolled up sleeves and a dark cool grey waistcoat over it; the sterling chain of his pocket watch ran into one of the vest pockets. His half rim rectangular glasses sat slightly down on his nose; the delicate spectacles contrasting the strong features on the Irishman’s scarred face. Finally, his trimmed hair looked to have started the morning neat and combed, but as the day went on a few strands escaped and hung askew.

“I don’t seem to recall signing any transfer papers for Willow,” Ruarc said, his tone simple as he spoke rationally. As he made the bottom of the stairs he kept walking into the kitchen without turning to Drysi. Unbothered, Ruarc began filling a kettle and turning on the range. “She is still a student at this school. She is still in the same classes. She is still your roommate.”

The sound of cupboard rummaging echoed through the small cottage. Ever prepared for any eventuality Ruarc was setting up a platter of some of the snacks that he had noted tended to raise Drysi’s spirits, and the smell of the teen’s favorite tea began to waft through the kitchen as Ruarc pulled out a small tin filled with loose leaves.

“Join me for tea,” Ruarc called. It wasn’t a question.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Drysi's snarling face, made more animal by her teeth, froze mid-breath; whatever she had to say never made it further than her lips. Mr. Flynn was a disarming creature, unlike most other people at the school, but he had long dropped the goofy dad impression he used to have back when he was merely her mentor. Now there were expectations, there were rules, there were the ways that had to be preserved. He regarded her with a seriousness befit that of a Master to an Apprentice, and sense of respect, despite her behavior and rudeness. The sense of it appealed to Drysi, even if she didn't want it right now.

With a hand trembling with her indignation, she gently pulled a chair back from the table. Then, she tucked her skirt under her legs and sat, not primly, but as properly as her heart would let her.

In the edge of her glasses, she saw the small pile of gingersnaps and shortbread. The aroma of Glengettie tea got to her nose, and the heat in her heart spread as warmth in her chest. The thought struck her that there hadn't been a box of Glengettie in the cupboard the last time she went rummaging in the kitchen a couple of weeks ago.

"Aren't you the least bit upset?" Drysi asked the floor, looking away from the treats, her shoulders rising as she clenched her fists in her lap.
Straken

Post by Straken »

While Ruarc had been in the middle of something he made no indication of being in a hurry. Taking his time with the matter, he watched Drysi and listened to her query while his tea steeped. Even after the teenager spoke the older man seemed pensive and thoughtful, but did not speak until after taking his first sip. Setting the delicate cup down with a soft clink, he leaned forward on the table and leveled his gaze at Drysi; the eye contact genuine and respectful.

"To be frank, I'm disappointed," Ruarc's words were candid and an air of sadness hung around them. He took a steady breath and picked up a gingersnap in his off hand. "In myself, that is."

"Willow is... a very unique mage. I'd only ever heard passing mention of metallurgical magic like hers in old texts. Nothing detailed enough to be able to teach her properly. So Willow approached me the other week to discuss potential options. It seems that, despite my interests, you kids have come into some trying times; and Willow got the blasted idea that her training would be best aimed at improving either her mental acuity or her physical conditioning. I can fill both roles, but not in the way Willow needs. For her smarts, I recommended Mr. Caxton; he's probably the brightest man I know, and would have done wonders for helping Willow be a playmaker rather than just a striker. For her conditioning, I recommended Miss Smith; a woman of unparalleled adaptability, and strength of will and character. The two of them are among my dearest friends, and I knew whichever one Willow decided on, she would be in good hands."

Holding his hands palms up in front of him, Ruarc spoke to Drysi as she deserved. Straight to the point, and honest.

"I... understand your frustration. It can be hard... feeling like you're losing a friend. But, you will find that friendship doesn't fade with distance, but instead it fades with inaction."

Another deep breath.

"She left us, but she is still a part of our lives. She is still your friend. She is still my student. If you have any frustrations then vent them to me, but please continue to support Willow. She might not seem like she needs it, but she needs help in her own ways."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The cookies and shortbread were a well of temptation that called to Drysi. She was determined to be content with being sullen and angry, but it was hard to act childish in front of Mr. Flynn. If anything, she felt a bit ashamed in assuming his reaction, in not even considering what he may have held against himself for his apprentice deciding to leave.

"I didn't know that," Drysi began slowly, "she had been thinking of it that much in advance. She told me today. And I... I don't really know if she'll want my support."

Ruarc's new apprentice stared down at the green sash around her waist.

"Ms. Laoise had just finished it for me, my sash. There's only two in the whole school, and when I finally got my hands on it, I was going to surprise Willow with it. It was very special to me, to match with Willow..." Drysi's fingers cinched around the sage fabric, "... but she ended up surprising me instead. I threw a fit. Not a bad one, but I just went huffing out the door. I didn' even listen to what she had to say."

Drysi reached for the kettle and poured herself a cup, and brought it close to her chest. "To be honest. I'm more disappointed in myself."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Nodding sagely, Ruarc listened as his apprentice spoke. He wondered if he looked wise, because he certainly didn’t feel like he was. His quiet contemplation was spent wondering what he could say or do to help Drysi through this tough time; the tea and snacks had tapped out his A-game. This kind of thing would probably have been a cinch for someone who had had a normal youth, but for Ruarc who had been a hermit since fifteen and plagued with abandonment issues it was a bit more of a trick; one misstep and this counseling session would turn into commiseration.

“Expectations versus reality can be troublesome, especially for teenagers,” Ruarc said at last, and almost immediately thought it sounded far too condescending. “You are being too hard on yourself, and, I think, if you take a bit of time before returning to the dorm you’ll find that Willow will still be happy to hear your surprise. Just as I’m sure Willow will still want your support.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

After a solid period of anger, frustration and discontent, Drysi took her first sip of tea. It tasted like Saturday mornings in Newport, taken with her mother and father, enjoying quiet moments over their small 1/18 of an acre garden. Despite the fact that they only lived about ten minutes away from the school, her home, and her parents felt like they were more than an eternity apart. After the last few months at Safeholme, she had changed a great deal, and learned as much. She looked up at this man she called her master now with a deep expectation. Had he known her trust, it would probably shake him, but Drysi could never know that.

In this moment, he was teacher, and he was kind and warm.

"Knowing Willow, she might have already forgotten," said Drysi, thinking honestly for the first time in a couple of hours. "Instead, she's thinking about that next step to her goals. What she needs to do next. She never lets the situation get her down."

Finally, she took up one of the shortbreads and dipped it in her tea before taking a bite. It was perfect, and she unconsciously leaned side to side in her chair as she chewed, feeling happiness again. Then, she reached for a gingersnap with a sad look in her eyes; something gnawed at her happiness. "Thank you, Mr. Flynn. I think when I realized I was in love, I lost sight of our friendship."

She began to nibble at the cookie, staring idly at the teapot.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc almost choked on his tea in response Drysi’s candidness. Quickly collecting his composure, the Irishman stared at his apprentice with an appraising eye. He knew, obviously, that the two girls had become friends as compared to when they had first met, but for Drysi to make such a straightforward statement about her feelings spoke volumes of either her personal growth or how much she’s come to trust him.

“That is an… astute analysis, Drysi,” Ruarc finally said. “It is good to be able to step back and think clearly. As always, you are more than welcome to stay as long as you like, whether to relax, or if you have any other advice you’d like to seek.”