[Safeholme] Red-Handed

Mr. Blackbird Lore

Re: [Safeholme] Red-Handed

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Tanuki was fiercely skeptical, but it was hard to keep thinking like that when one of them could push her around with HER MIND, and the other one could casually conjure fire. She wiped the awed look off her face as soon as she noticed her own jaw agape. She stared at the ground, thinking hard. This sounded way too good to be true. Time for the lightning round.

"Do I get a bed?"

"Yes."

"And food?"

"Yes." I'll sponsor her, Lady silently informed Ruarc.

Too good by half. "So what do you want from me?"

Lady glanced at Ruarc. Her face was placid, but the latent connection she had opened between them meant he could feel a hint of her irritation. "To go to class. Learn to use your magic." And then, after a brief pause, as if she was searching for the right answer. "Be the best. That means good grades."

The girl's eyes became shifty. She was searching for a trap, but couldn't find one, which only made her more nervous. Unable to settle herself, she went on the offensive- once again targeting Ruarc. "What do you want? And what if I'm not the best?" She folded her arms, a serenely defiant look on her face.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Crossing his arms, Ruarc listened stoically to the exchange. He understood Lady's motivation behind the matter, and certainly wasn't going to put a stop to it. Smiling inwardly, giving a blip of levity to the matter that only Sumedha would detect, he thought it was good seeing her take such an acute interest in the case. Sure she was a counselor, but that only bound her to the students; and her she was press-ganging a wayward child into her jurisdiction. I'll make sure all the paperwork is on your desk before morning, he thought in response to his colleague.

When Tanuki turned her attention once more to him he only raised a quizzical eyebrow. It had been a long while since anyone had asked what he wanted outside of drinks at the pub, so he had to think on the matter for a brief moment. Of course, there was the simple mission statement of Safeholme, about providing a safe, orderly, caring, and supportive environment to hone their abilities; but that felt disingenuous to the question.

"If you can't be the best; be happy. Being happy is a big step towards being the best you that you can be," Ruarc's tone was simple and earnest. "You are clearly a gifted young mage. Imagine what you could be or could do with just a few more resources to build yourself up. I for one would love to see just how far you can go."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Ruarc could feel a strange mental quirk in response to his paperwork joke. It was like an urge... To roll her eyes? Lady had never outwardly even hinted she was capable of such a childish gesture. It was beneath her.

Lady remained outwardly impassive as she observed the two, but there came another nearly imperceptible twitch of her mind when he answered. It was there and gone so quick it was impossible to read.

Tanuki was reeling at the potential before her. This was either a huge break or the weirdest trap she'd ever encountered. She discovered herself feeling hopeful and it only made her more nervous. Was her mind weak from the years on her own? Was she just desperate? It was impossible to be sure, so she just trusted her gut.

"Fine. But I'm not wearing any stupid hat or anything." She glared between Ruarc and Lady but had difficulty holding the woman's stare. Those eyes were so dark and cold, but her smile sincere. It was like watching a wolf watch you. So she looked back to Ruarc. "I'll show you what real skill is." Her voice had dropped an octave and the small girl's eyes were hardened like Lady's.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Bear in mind that you are also accepting liability, Ruarc thought. Beyond that she'll get along great with Drysi.

"No worries there, kid, our uniform has hats, but they aren't a part of everyday wear. As for your skills, well, we'll be sure to properly challenge you," Ruarc replied out loud towards Tanuki. Stretching his neck, the older man looked up into the sky towards the moon; gauging the time. Following a light huff, he turned to Lady before speaking rather than thinking. "Certainly one of the more unique ways we've gained a student. That said, it's late, and your ward is out past curfew. Square her away with some temporary housing in the dorm for the night, we'll get her settled somewhere tomorrow... today. Anything you want from me, Sumedha? I'm happy to help with whatever you may need."