[The Keep] Walking to Skye

Straken

Re: [The Keep] Walking to Skye

Post by Straken »

Vincent and Des shared a few more looks as they watched the younger druid and familiar, and just as Vincent was about to say something he found himself holding a snake. Now, he looked even stiffer than his usual demeanor. He didn’t look afraid of Gideon, if just by the grace of knowing the keelback was a familiar, but to that end he definitely looked unsure of how to hold a snake. After a few moments of eye contact, the Second Circle druid handed Gideon over to Desdamona.

”Then I can only assume she’s improving,” Des said to Gideon. ”She took to chatting with the Breakfast Club easily enough at dinner last night. Enough to where she even spoke freely with Vincent despite not knowing him for even a full day. My Vincent barely spoke five complete sentences during his first month here.”

Des walked across the desk and patted Drysi’s head while giving a broad smile.

”Keep up the good work, Gideon and druidling.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Drysi murmured something about being almost done again at Desdenona's attention.

Gideon was pleased with Des' kindness, wishing he could have known his druid so long. He had no reference for Drysi's time before the ceremony, but she had told him some things. The bond they shared revealed more than she would ever say aloud. She still had trouble with people who knew her from before, and she couldn't walk the forests alone. He worried, at one time, his druid would not be able to enjoy what remained of her youth like any other.

"Hu hu hu," laughed Drysi, standing and spinning with a dramatic flair, "I have solved your paperwork puzzle."

But when she smiled like that, he knew that he had nothing to worry about. If only he earned the credit for such happiness.

The researcher padded up to Vincent with a decadent glee, summoning each form from the table. One by one they filed into stacks in sharp motions, before slapping down into a singular stack. Then, triumphant, she summoned the folder and slid them on the right pocket. Vincent would find the folder offered to him.

"M'addendum for the inscriptions can be filed at a later date," said Drysi, planting a fist on her hip, and pushing her tri-frames up her nose, "The press is notional, but I have offered six possible truncations to the inscription t'make it usable in shorthand, until plans for the press can be offered. Thanks to us Chief Bombellas'll never need to shake her fist at a slippery Keeper ever again."

Drysi rubbed her chin, "Working project name is Common Accuracy Insurance Tracking Inscription, or CAITI. Sounds too corpo for my taste, needs a good name. Quill-o-Wisp? Fairy Fax?"

She nodded her head, bouncing her long, blonde curls, "Ooo, Spell-Check, that's a good one it is. S'got layers."
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Common Accuracy Insurance Tracking Inscription will do,” Vincent said, adjusting his glasses as he accepted the paperwork. “It’ll be a shame though, as pushing pencils and shaking our fists over incorrectly filed paperwork is some of the only bits of exercise we tend to get.”

He coughed into a closed fist.

“That was a joke.”

He cleared his throat.

“Anyway, I’ll get this filed before the end of the day, once I’ve finished working though all of this,” the Somatic offered as he turned back to his desk. “Do you have any other plans for the day? It was today you were going to be heading back wasn’t it?”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

“Plans? Of course I’ve got plans, I’ve–,” Drysi started, before cutting herself short. Her hands seemed to grasp for some sort of thought that wasn’t there, and before long, Vincent was witness to what looked like some kind of triclopsi reboot. “I don’t… have any plans…”

The admission seemed to shake the girl, once she realized she had spent most of the day trying to work. There had to be more of the keep she hadn’t seen, more of the world of the druid’s she hadn’t learned of. If this ended, it meant going back to Safeholme, to that same, uncomfortable world she knew too well. Of friends she had history, of people who had history with her, and of unpleasant reminders of what let her down this path.

“I don’t… have any plans,” she repeated, realizing she didn’t want to leave, realizing she had nothing but good memories in this place. It felt safe, sound and warm, in a way a part of one’s life felt when they had carved out a new world for themselves. In Carneath, Drysi was starting anew, but in Safeholme, Drysi was going back to everything she had left behind unwittingly. There was the Cottage, her room and Willow, sure, but there were also the people who still drew exception to her, the dark parts of the forest, and the reminders of the strange little cultist she had been.

”Drysi, it’s okay,” probed Gideon, feeling the sudden wave of emotion, but it was too late.

The apprentice’s three, brilliant eyes were starting to well with tears fat with emotion. She managed the only words she could in the moment, “I–... I don’t have any plans.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

All Vincent could do was give Desdemona another sidelong look as he questioned what social landmine he had stepped on this time. He hadn’t thought a simple question would elicit such an emotional response, and Des assured him that it was most likely not his fault; at least directly. Acknowledging being out of his depth, Vincent handed the reins over to his familiar. The monkey sighed, sounding rather human. She took a pen and piece of paper and began to write.

“The joys of youth,” Des said offhand to Gideon as she sat the pen down. With lithe dexterity, she moved across the desk, up a shelf, and along the top of the cubicle before dropping to hang off to Drysi’s side; offering the teen the note. The lettering was a little stiff, but fairly neat. It contained a rough map of the courtyard and some instructions.

”Bowie had mentioned that on the weekends druids from the Keep like to visit the Keeper’s Cottage outside the gate for a bonfire and revelry. If Drysi wants something to do, she could go hang out with Brooke. That’s of course a late afternoon event, although the Gate Keeper has a reputation of being a welcoming host should your druid wish to chat with him; or get him to file some paperwork. I’d suggest the dorm common areas, but she seems a shy lass and might not like the crowded rec rooms. If you have any other questions, just text Vincent’s phone and I can respond.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Taking a note from a monkey isn’t quite as strange as taking a note from a monkey, written by a monkey. In a world of magic, where whim is the scissors that cuts through the fabric of reality, it shouldn’t be that strange. Yet, Drysi, the three-eyed girl, was bewildered by the gift. As she studied the instructions, Gideon slithered down her arm and nodded his head respectfully.

”Thank you for taking care of us, Desdemona,” rippled Gideon’s words, in a soft tone whose restraint was marked by the most modest quiver. A triclops was a lot of person to share a connection with, and Drysi was still trying to get a grip, ”You’ve gone a long way in helping us feel more at home. I think Drysi has… gone native… more quickly than I expected.”

There it was. It sank in, just then. Drysi could either whip in the opposite direction, or go full waterworks. There were no half measures. Gideon realized she would need to collect herself privately before engaging with anyone else. Vincent needed to be spared the worst of his druid’s eccentricities.

”Say, thank you, Drysi.”

“Thank you, Drysi,” repeated the triclops, through pursed lips, to Gideon.

”To Vincent.”

“Thank you, Drysi,” repeated the triclops, again, this time to Vincent.

The sheer wave of embarrassment from this not only caused Drysi’s hair to stand on end, it almost struck Gideon dumb. He whipped his head back and forth, before gathering some sense of what to do next.

”Now: Turn,” he commanded, ”and leave.”

Blindly, Drysi spun into the wall of the cubicle, bounced off of it, cursed its existence, and found the open exit. She quickly darted off, in tears, wailing, “I swear I’m not this dumb in real life!”

And that was how Drysi left the offices, in search of the dorms.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Leaving the Second Circle's offices behind her, Drysi returned down the stairs; following the general directions she'd received the night before. Back on the second floor of Carneath the Welsh girl was greeted by the familiar warmth of the Common Area, and the alluring scent wafting out of the Dining Hall; upcoming lunch time offerings smelled like American style barbeque today. There were, as seemed to be the usual, all manner of druids and familiars lounging on the comfortable sofas arrayed around the room. Unlike the night before however, the doors to her left and right that lead to the dorms were propped open; showing adjoining hallways that turned inward towards the mountain.

Selecting one, Drysi would find the hallway beyond the corner full of life. To either side there were cloistered study spaces; the side of the inside hall saw these spaces continue onward, while the opposite wall had only a couple before opening up into another common space. The study spaces held several young druids around Drysi's age working in relative silence, while the spacious Common was bustling with discussions in numerous languages; including the chatter of familiars.

Amid the voices Drysi would be able to pick out that, even on the weekend, she was in the heart of deep seated academia.
"That's why Waldonby's Theorum on The Conservation of Magic is the best, most up to date, explanation for how to best quantify a person's aptitude for magic!"

"Why do Seconds always need something to be quantified? It's magic! Mangicour's Will is a better explanation, and its a bed time story."

"Some of us want a better explanation than I just tried really hard as a reason. Why does the magic respond to will?"
"I believe I developed a method to predict the species of a new druid's familiar!"
"Do you know if this translates to Wall of Stone or Wave of Pebbles?"
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The scent of flavored meats was something that awoke a rumbling hunger deep inside Ruarc’s apprentice. She felt a little bit like a scavenger, feeling the nagging sense of desire for a meal, while also looking around wantingly at the warm space. Yet, she had set her mind to something, and that made her naturally brush aside any bothersome internal issues. She was looking for Brooke, but found her ears drawn to the sound of intellectual discussion.

“Gid, why am I tryin’ t’leave this place?” asked Drysi, her eyes scanning over the druids going back and forth in theories, pressing her hands flat to the threshold of the doorway.

”Because you have an obligation to complete your education at Safeholme.”

“But– But it’s– They’re all so smart here,” Drysi mouthed in a low whisper, steadily becoming more and more aware of her voice, “Everyone at Safeholme is tryin’ t’punch somethin’ or shoot somethin’. It’s all action, action, action; but here… these are mages, Gid.”

”Your master is mage,” reminded Gideon, sticking his head out to get a look, himself.

“But he’s also the punching type,” whispered Drysi, looking a little forlorn that Brooke was not immediately present, “The Menagerie, all of them. Heads first. Brains later.”

”As I’ve heard, Mr. Caxton was rather brains first,” remarked the snake.

“Who?”

Gideon was silent at this, but Drysi paid no mind. She stepped along, pointedly looking for her punching type, a type that reminded her of Willow, except distinctly American.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Rounding the corner and passing into the dormitory's Common, Drysi found a space similar to the main Common Area. There was plenty of seat, although the students had helped themselves to arranging everything; large bookshelves with spaces inbetween for everything from flags, to sports banners, to band posters; a sizeable fireplace on the far wall with a small fire going; and a high ceiling with large beams crossing the space, which had a number of the smaller and more nimble familiars lounging upon it.

Off in the far corner near the fire place Drysi found who she was looking for. The American Keeper-On-The-Wall looked freshly showered and was kicking back in a pair of red sweatpants, and a gray tank top. Her familiar, Bowie, appeared to be dozing up in the rafters above her. The Keeper looked to be joking with a couple other druids nearby.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Seeing Brooke already in the middle of conversation, Ruarc’s apprentice turned, and began to walk away.

”Where are you going?”

“She’s already talkin’ to someone,” whispered Drysi, a small twinge of nervousness at the edges of her lips, “I’m just gunna’… go?”

”Drysi, it’s not as if she’s speaking about official matters,” countered Gideon, sensing a bit of defeat in his druid, ”She’s chatting. In sweatpants. I believe only the mundane can get away with such outerwear for official business.”

“That might just be how Americans do important shit, Gid,” snipped Gideon’s druid, who then realized she was still wearing all of her clothes from yesterday. She lingered in the door-way, trying to subtly sniff herself, “Hells bells, I haven’t showered. I’m probably fookin’ intolerable. I should probably go. You know, I think I’m going to go. Yeah, I can wait in the shower until this get-together thing happens.”

That was a call to action, if there ever was one. Before Drysi could bounce away like a green goldi-locks, her snake leaned out of her hood, looking up at Bowie.

”Bowie, forgive me, could you tell Brooke that Drysi is here to see her,” asked Gideon suddenly, and as swiftly as he was gently able.