[The Forest] The Path Less Traveled By

Straken

Re: [The Forest] The Path Less Traveled By

Post by Straken »

“Alright Drysi. Place your hands on the runes and focus,” Ruarc held eye contact as he spoke. “This is going to be a bit disorienting, and you’re going to feel like you have a bit of a headache. This is normal, and simply a side effect of your consciousness and spirit being joined with your Guide. Enjoy the quiet, because your head is about to get a bit more crowded.”

Ruarc, doing his part, provided the energy to the circle and snapped it shut. Maintaining its integrity, he allowed Drysi to do her part of powering the runes. This brought back memories of his own ceremony. It had been bittersweet. His training with his grandfather had been going well up until a few months prior to his fifteenth birthday so he hadn’t been worried, but life had its own plans and he still remembered the day Mealla showed up at the inn with Grandpa Niall’s tattered cloak. So when the day came, his dad had done the ceremony in his usual brusque manner, with Mealla and grandpa’s friend Engleby observing. With his legacy induction into the Keeper’s already confirmed he had the added caveat of needing to demonstrate a collection of combat level spells; he’d used his own Turraing, and the fire dragon spell grandpa helped him work on.

It had been a rough day for him, but he still remembered the joy he felt when forming his Guide Pact. Even amid the discomfort he’d mentioned to Drysi, the sense of connection had been a reassurance he cherished to this day, and the moment he cradled the hatchling and gave her a name he knew he’d never truly be alone. Laoise had helped him through his dad abandoning the family, which launched him head first into his Keeper responsibilities at Drysi’s age; and Laoise had helped him through Raiko’s passing; and she had been by his side during some of the hardest and most harrowing fights of his life. He couldn’t wait to meet Drysi’s familiar.

Back in the moment the runes had all come alight, and with a single simple nod to Drysi Ruarc broke the line of the circle. The runic energy that had modified the circle released all at once in a blinding flash and a small magical shockwave that silenced the sounds of nature momentarily. As his eyes adjusted after the dazzle, he saw an egg sitting in the center of the circle. A small, leathery, and writhing egg. Moments after, the new familiar inside forced its way out of the egg, revealing the slender form of a newborn tiger keelback snake.

With a wobbling grace, the serpent wiggled its head between Drysi, Ruarc, and back to Drysi.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The light was bright, but the darkness was even more jarring.

Instinct told him to press through the wall, there was something waiting on the other side. Someone was waiting for him. A low crack signaled success as he pushed against the small space he was in, and so he applied more pressure. Another crack resonated through the tiny prison before the top burst open, bringing in refreshing, warm air. There were stars. So many stars.

As he rose to get a better look of his surroundings, he tasted the air with a forked tongue. She was near-by. He wobbled his head toward her, two large, glassy eyes taking in a small shape at the edge of a candlelit circle.

You are my druid.

Then, feeling another presence, he swayed another way from the safety of his egg, looking at the older druid. He did not know the man, but he understood his purpose in this ritual.

Thank you.

Gently, he turned to look back at her, and, gathering her in the gloom, found that he already had his first task as a guide.

Her shoulders were slumped, burdened with a great disappointment, and her face fell with a discouraged despondence. Worse yet, she jumped with her own instinct at his unmoving glare, a built-in fear of his kind. Anxiety began to build in her, he could sense it growing, and she seemed to be searching for the right answer to this wrong answer. In the end, she tried to smile in the way one would at a gift they didn’t want.

“You don’t have to smile for me,” the snake spoke in his first words to her, ”I feel your heart and it is okay.”

She jumped, now ashamed.

”I– I’m sorry. I… I wanted…”

”You wanted a familiar like your master’s.”

The girl nodded.

”That is fine. But. You are not your master, so I am not your master’s familiar. You are you and so I am your guide. I am different because you are different, and that is okay, maybe even better.”

Something in her eyes seemed to indicate she understood, and she began to crawl forward to him. There was trepidation in her eyes, but he could tell she was being brave. He could tell she was tired. Moreover, she was gritting her teeth, trying to overcome her nerves, and he noticed something he had not seen before.

”You have fangs, like me.”

She froze and stared at him. He flattened his head and tried to sense if he had overstepped himself. Then, he found that her delicate hands scooped up his egg, and he was brought up to her face. Three, green eyes stared at him wonder and then a smile spread on her face. He tasted the air again, tickling her nose and making her giggle.

”What is your name? I want to know.”

“Drysi Llewella Maelgwyn.”

”And what is my name?”

Drysi cradled her familiar close to her chest.

“Gideon. Your name will be Gideon.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

"That is a fine name indeed," Ruarc wore a warm smile that radiated pride. A passing worry crossed his mind at the appearance of a venomous snake, but the feeling abated in favor of reason as Ruarc remembered the wide number of deadly creatures that had been gained as familiars in the past; his grandfather's own brown bear as an easy example. He would just make a note of counseling Drysi in matters of controlling her emotions a bit so he wouldn't need to worry about the teenager sicking Gideon on someone out of anger. For now though, he allowed his apprentice a moment with her newest friend and family before moving on.

"Now, Drysi, and your familiar Gideon, rise and be welcomed by your peers as a full member of the Druid Order," Ruarc said as his voice once again adopted a ceremonial tone, and standing from his own kneeling position. With a motion of his hand he directed Drysi to face the procession behind her. Laoise was moving closer with a bundle of something in her hands, and Engleby toddling steadily behind her with his large tome.

"Congratulations, Drysi," Laoise whispered to the teen as she stooped slightly and draped the unfolding bundle around Drysi's shoulders; a shiver instinctively running up her spine in the presence of a snake. The bundle was a rather simple, but quite official initiate's robe that would mark her as a full druid. Upon closer inspection and in the right light, Drysi would also be able to pick out subtle woven runes of reflective thread; a signature addition Ruarc added to all of his cloaks for added protection.

"Congratulations indeed, child," Engleby spoke in turn as he finally drew closer. "As the officiate scribe of this ceremony, I would as you to state once more for the records your full name, the name of your familiar, and which circle you may be privy to joining; if you have given it any thought."

"Still plenty of time to throw in with the Keepers, we get killer bonuses," Mealla offered up without moving from where she stood, her posture and tone jovial and light hearted, but a curt ahem from Engleby quieted the Chief down again.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

”It looks very nice on you,” commented Gideon, eyeing Laoise as she draped the cloak over Drysi’s shoulders.

The triclops smiled warmly as she took it all in. With one hand, she held her guide close to her chest, and with the other pinched the hem of the cloth and gently swayed it back and forth to observe workmanship. More than anything, putting on the mantle of an initiate felt like the true acceptance of responsibility. Her familiar was something she dreamed of, but the cloak seemed to bring her back to earth.

At the mention of joining a circle, she looked up at Ruarc, then to Engleby and then to Maella.

”You know which you want to join,” Gideon pointed out, noticing that Drysi was hesitating with her answer.

”My master is a Keeper, shouldn’ I be, too? I feel like I jus’ became his apprentice, and I’m already distancin’ myself from ‘im.”

”Your passion is in emulating your master, but that is not where your conviction is. I can feel that much.”

Drysi grinned, looking down at the snake egg in her hand. “Are you going to do this all the time?”

Gideon flattened his head, and rested it on the edge of his leather egg.

“Head Lecturer Engleby,” Drysi began, looking up at the aged druid, “I have thought about this. I have studied under Master Flynn for many months now. He has shown me what can be done to make the world a safe place, an’ I get to live in the world he’s made for us here. So I’ve determined that I will decide the next step beyond that, and that I will make the tools that the Keepers will use to maintain the peace, the means the Beastmasters will have in preservation and the systems the Sages will use to recount our histories.”

The triclops took a breath and blinked a tear or two away, trying not to get emotional. Reaffirming herself, she cupped her familiar’s egg in both hands again and announced, finally.

“I am Drysi Llewella Maelgwyn, this is my lad Gideon, and I am to be a Researcher of the 3rd Circle.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Aw man, seems all the kids these days want to join the flashy circle," Mealla lamented with feigned indignation and an overexaggerated shrug.

"Chief Planner Mastrogiacomo will be happy to hear she get's the first initiate from the Eastern Theater," Engleby's lilting Cotswold's accent was purely business as he documented the details of the ceremony, but a gentle smile curved the edges of his mouth and made him radiate grandfatherly energy. With a flourished flick of a pheasant feather quill, the Master Sage closed his tome; the leather bound book once more folding out of reality.

"Now, young Druid, do you have any questions for me and…” Engleby started to say before he looked over his shoulder and saw that Mealla had vanished. Sighing, Engleby began to turn as Ruarc moved around the circle and motioned to head back to the campfire. “...For me before I take my leave?”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"When do I begin work?"

Drysi's question was short, direct and to the point. Her brilliant, gem-like eyes cut a different light now. The ceremony had finished, and the talk of business that started her pendulation had sent her the whole way over.

On the surface, she really wanted to create and to make. She had the drive and desire to make a difference, but it wasn't the only thing that put her on this path. Deep down there were the dark thoughts that only Ruarc had heard, deep thoughts that washed over Gideon's mind. Painful thoughts ground a menacing edge to the girl's intelligence. That edge would need work, it would take the spines of books filled with rich knowledge for her to sink her teeth into.

And then that edge would be used to end Alexei.

Gideon said nothing, but knew that this would be the next true task as a guide.
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Straight to the point. Truly your master’s apprentice,” Engleby smiled, turning to give Drysi an oblong look as he walked. “One of the fine aspects of the Druid Order is its independent nature. Sure, we have a central council, but for the most part each Circle is an entity independent from the others.”

“Bear with him on this, he’s going into the Lecturer part of his title,” Ruarc whispered quickly to Drysi as he passed.

“As odd as the comparison may be, I’ve always enjoyed comparing the Order to an octopus,” Engleby continued, seemingly unaware of what Ruarc had said. “The Council is the head, connecting all of the arms together. Meanwhile each individual arm can conduct actions entirely of its own free will; with the caveat that such actions be for the well-being of the head. Upon each arm are numerous suckers of varying size, and each and every one is able to independently judge the world around it before conveying the information to the arm, and then to the head. We are the same way. Every druid from initiate to Chief making up their respective Circle. Every once in a while, the Circle will call upon you to aide in a task either individually or as a group; but even without those orders you are providing a valuable service to the Order as a whole. You are our eyes, our ears, and in your’s and my case, we are the brains.”

Winking for effect, Engleby then waved an arm towards Ruarc.

“Then you get the Keepers and the Beastmasters who act as the defensive front for the Order; the Circle of Builders, different from R and D, who keep our buildings and holy sites functioning, and the Circle of Somatics who handle the day to day management of eight independent Circles filled with independent druids. In summary, you are already working, Druid Maelgwyn. Just keep an ear out for specific work from higher up the chair.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Being referred to as the brain of the organization was very pleasing to Drysi's ego, and she found that the more she talked with Engleby, the more she felt at ease. Gideon had slithered his way out of his egg, after testing the air a few more times, and made his way up to Drysi's shoulder. The girl shivered at the experience, and gave him a sharp look.

"You're not getting the answer you want."

The look became sharper, "I had a feeling this was the case. I may have to wait until I'm older to go out and learn what I need to..."

"I don't like how that thought feels, Drysi."

Her face softened, and further paled as she realized just how uncensored her feelings were now. Was it like this all the time between Ruarc and Laoise? Had it always been? Gideon was like her conscience had been given a voice. When Ruarc mentioned her mind was going to become more crowded, she hadn't really given it much thought.

"How will they know how to find me?" asked the initiate, realizing she had no need for the egg now, and left it near a tree for nature to reclaim. "How does the druid order keep track of what... really... seems like a club of recluses? There was an article in M4GE that talked about how interviewers could never find druids when they wanted to speak to them, and that's why the world only really knows about Archdruid Clarke."
Straken

Post by Straken »

“That reclusive nature has saved our Order from extinction more than once,” Engleby’s voice carried through the darkness as the group dispersed slightly on the way back to the fire. With the wave of a hand the stars above seemed to grow more vibrant, shedding enough light to allow the pilgrims safe passage along the river bank. “To outsiders a druid must appear to be an island, when in reality we are an archipelago. The Ard Rhys is the largest island in sea, so he’s the easiest to find. To say nothing about the man’s love for the limelight. But you didn’t hear that from me.”

The aged druid seemed to be pleasantly relaxed as he enjoyed the cool night air. Off to their left a splash sounded from the river, and an owl hooted from off in the trees. A little way ahead of Drysi and Engleby, Ruarc led the way with Laoise by his side, at some point Caoranach had resurfaced and seemed to be basking in the starlight.

“We are a family. We may not see each other every day, but we know how to reach our kin. Rest assured, Druid Maelgwyn. I am positive that a great many things await you on your path, but fading into obscurity shall not be one of them.”

The gentle light of the campfire began to grow, and the group found their places by it as Ruarc threw another log on. Engleby once more found the chair he had been sitting in when Drysi first arrived.

“Oh, and if it would make you feel more comfortable, I can help you arrange a meeting with Mastrogiacomo, the Head of the Third Circle. It could also provide you with an opportunity to visit the Keep.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

“The Keep? Mastrogiacomo?” Drysi’s fists curled tightly as she heard more and more of things she had never heard of before. It made her forget her dark ambitions for a moment, and instead let the still innocent curiosity in her mind sink its teeth in these new questions. “I didnae know there was a castle. Mr. Flynn doesn’t talk much about the others, or other druids for that matter. I only know what I know from the books I’ve read.”

The new initiate looked up at Engleby expectantly, before catching herself. She turned to Ruarc, staring at him, before realizing she may not need his permission for this. So she spun back to Engleby, her eyes speaking of the excitement in her heart.

“What kind of person is Mastrogiacomo? How soon can I meet her? Do I have to call her any certain sort of thing when I meet her? Do I need to bring something? Are all the council members at the Keep?”

After so many questions, she became self-conscious and turned to call on Ruarc. “Mr. Flynn, am I allowed to go? Would you go with me?”

Almost as quickly, she turned back to Engleby, getting excited, “Can my master come with me?”