[Episode 2] Two Minds, One Body

The story unfolds around Osaka, Japan, with the unlocking of one girl's hidden potential, and a gathering of Young mages whom are destined to change the fate of the Earth.
Kokuten

[Episode 2] Two Minds, One Body

Post by Kokuten »

Eckert Maelgwyn stared out over the front lawn. His three eyes were haggard and tired, he had just spent the last ten hours driving through Wales. When he had received the phone call, he barely believed it, but it didn’t stop him from taking his little Renault all the way up north. The first time this had happened, it had just been a quick trip to Cardiff.

The culprit that had caused this night time sojourn stood a few feet away, gently swaying from fatigue and a sleepless night. She had been standing there for at least thirty minutes, and was struggling to stay upright. Nerves had managed to keep her going through midnight and into the morning.

She opened her mouth to speak, and her father’s shoulders seized.

“Don’t.”

She shrank at what sounded like admonishment. The silence persisted as Eckert continued to stare out onto the lawn, the sun having come up full now. Wynne came into the room, having prepared some coffee and tea. Both father and daughter were given their cups directly, the clattering of dishware the only noise in the house.

“Thank you mum,” whispered the young girl. Wynne hugged her daughter, and departed to the kitchen to sit and drink her tea.

When the door closed, Eckert spoke.

“Drysi.”

The tea-cup almost fell to the floor.

“Yes, da.”

“Do you know why the Library of Cardiff has more librarians than books?”
Safeholme Dorms
Third Floor
Midnight

Since the morning exercise and a visit to the school counselor, Drysi had become more approachable, even bearable on extended occasions. She and Willow were able to have a conversation without the combative tendencies of before, and she seemed to have a greater sense of patience with her classmates. Still, she was guarded around most people, and kept to what immediate circle of friends she had: Vrey, Katerina, Johann, sticking closely mostly to Willow.

That changed as the semester neared its end.

In the last couple of weeks, while students were studying to make up for lost time, Drysi was falling asleep in class. Willow would wake up in the morning, and find her friend crawling into bed as the sun rose, her boots muddy. Each time she was asked why, the triclops had no answer other than that she needed time to think. No one would ever catch her leaving, saving maybe the RA, who had written her up once for breaking curfew.

Tonight was different. Tonight was final. Tonight would be the last night for Drysi Maelgwyn.

----

A feverish scribbling was the only sound in the quiet dorm that night, until the door to Willow's room swung open loudly. The sound of boots running down the hall followed, striking the stairs and fading off before silence took over again. A leaf of paper sat in the center of the hall outside the open door.
Straken

Re: [Episode 2] Two Minds, One Body

Post by Straken »

Willow, meanwhile, was enjoying an absolutely lovely cup of tea with Hannah, the Queen of Montana, discussing trade deals with her own nation of Youbetchastan. A three-eyed sparrow was scratching away at the dirt beyond their table quite loudly. The two delegates had done well working through the noise, but a sudden peel of thunder made the bird fly away. While this would have been a good thing, the fluttering startled her. The next thing she knew, she was staring groggily up at the ceiling. One of her legs was hanging over the edge of the bed, her shirt had twisted awkwardly as it now sat askew, her mess of long blond hair was and actual mess of long blond hair that half covered her face, some of which was sticking to a bit of spit that sat at the corner of her mouth. The picture of nobility.

Sitting up, Willow grumbled, "Drysi, keep it down. I'm busy with the Queen."

Squinting she she looked into the light of the dorm hallway, the British girl seemed to finally snap awake. "Drysi?" Willow called as she got up. "If you're going to use the head, at least shut the door."

Stepping into the hallway, Willow cast about, looking for where her friend had gone. No trace to be seen. The hall was empty in the dead of night; save for a slip of paper. Stepping close and bending down, Willow inspected it.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The paper looked more like a blotting sheet and it was crumpled on one side, as if it were crushed by hand. The side that faced up had stains of ink like a fresh blood spatter. It looked a bit like rubbish, discarded in someone's haste. When she turned it over she saw something written in a familiar scrawl, but in frantic, uneven strokes.
HELP ME
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Chuffy gave a disconcerted grumble.

Johann jumped in his seat, the Abridged Necronomicon crashing to the ground. Startled eyes glanced around the common room for trouble, but saw nothing. The necromancer gave Chuffy a concerned look. "What's wrong, Chuff?"

The dog rose to its feet, and padded warily toward one of the halls. Johann bent over to collect his book, then cautiously followed. "Chuffy, what is it?"

It was Willow in the hall, standing there with a befuddled expression. "Wwwwwillow? wwwww... Are you okkkk..." Groggy and vulnerable to his emotions, Johann gave up with a frustrated sigh and just assumed she would understand.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Willow was registering the gravity of what she saw and who it was written by in her still waking mind when a familiar voice snapped her back. Johann! This was perfect. In what would probably be a fairly startling manner, Johann would see Willow looking down the hall, pausing, and then charging him with the suddenness of a horror movie spirit. Stopping short of bowling him and Chuffy over, she tried to get her thoughts in order as she stammered through a few preliminary first attempts.

"Have you seen Drysi? She's either playing a bad prank on me, or somethings going on. But I'm spooked and I don't like it," the girl finally said as she brushed a tangled lock of hair out of her face and behind her ear. Crossing her arms over her loose fit Led Zeppelin t-shirt, her body language showed the she was on edge as she had one foot braced behind her like she was ready to pivot or sprint; although her baggy pink pajama pants would get in the way of any real running.

"The door was left open, I think I heard running, and this note was in the hall," Willow said as she unfurled one arm and showed the boy the note. It wasn't written in blood, but it still gave her the creeps. "Drysi will probably get in trouble again if we go to the RA, but I think we should look for her. Help me wake Kat and Vrey?"
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Johann scratched at his turban while he listened to her rapidfire explanation. His eyes were directed at his feet, so he could focus on her words, but he realized he was still in his sleep clothes: a hooded long-sleeve and thigh-length athletic shorts. "...seen Drysi?" He shook his head. "...a bad prank..." The German gave a shrug. "Help me?"

That last one gave him pause. He wanted to go back to bed. He wanted to tell her Chuffy thought it was a bad idea and the dog was still on edge. But he saw the look in her eyes, the determined and pleading look of someone on a quest. He sighed and nodded. "C'mon, Chuffalupagus," he told his best friend with a pat of the head. Clutching his book to his chest he asked, "Umm... where?" Johann didn't actually know where anyone else's room was, except Willow's, and he'd only just figured that out.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

The magical stock market, a hustling, bustling hub of trade and business, unlike the mundane stock market, actually traded in physical goods, changing hands, currency being sent from one place to another, people gaining and losing as deals work better for one than another. It was enough to make any business girl swoon. Then suddenly a huge thunk, followed by a series of clashes and stomps threw the already chaotic scene into utter disarray, turning the scene on its head, throwing everything in every direction, causing a giant barrel full of powdered mandrake root straight at her- the giant wooden container slamming into the poor blonde as suddenly as she woke up, roused rudely from her deep sleep.

She grumbled, wiping a bit of drool from the corner of her mouth and removing the cat-eared sleep mask to blink confusedly toward her door that the offending sound had just rushed past. Getting out of the bed, she straightened up her pajamas; pastel pink boyshorts and a matching camisole with a sheer shawl over the top of it, and made her way to the door, which she opened, looking both ways but finding no one, yet.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Hnnnngggh..."

Tanaka groaned over Kat's shoulder. She was a pale figure, almost ghostly in the dark, her black hair framing her face with her small eyebrows furrowed firmly over her head. She was wearing a loose fitting set of jinbei pajamas that had little foxes on them. A couple of other students were opening their doors as well, poking their heads out to see.

"Something has the spirits restless..." yawned Chinami, resting her chin on Kat's shoulder now, looking like she was about to fall back to sleep. "Must be..."

She yawns again. "... running around in the halls."

"No."

It was the voice of a rasping young man across from them, Eryk Kashevski, a Hexer from Poland. His yellow eyes reflected faint light from the hall, like a wolf in the dark. He leaned out from his room, wearing a large t-shirt and shorts. Kat could see his young face was decorated with scars, his long brown hair pulled back like Mister Flynn's.

"My medallion shakes when spirits and monsters pass by, and it would have woke me if it did. The footsteps sounded like boots. Hurried. Not as loud as they should've been. Someone skinny probably. Small."

"You think saying a bunch of mysterious things makes you sound cool, Kayasaki-san?"

"You think saying a bunch of mean things makes you sound tough, Tanaka?"

"Ugh. I'm going back to bed," Chinami turned to go crawl under puff comforter. A couple of spirits popped out from under the sheets, one of them a tiny monkey that tumbled towards Kat's feet.

Hmmmmm... The dark medallion in Eryk's hand began to vibrate.

----

The doors began to open on the third floor as well. Different students of many nationalities and origins stuck their heads out. One of them was even from another plane, having come to the school a month ago.

"Someone care want to explain what that was?" asked Nadiya, a sun-sorcerer from Egypt who wore a set of fine silken pajamas, red in color.

"Sounded like running," commented Djene, a summoner from Mali. In a loose robe that she held close to herself against the mild temperature.

"Hey Willow, did Drysi run off again?" asked Manon, a clown from France, wearing a puffy, frilly set of short PJs with blue polka-dots. "Did you two have a fight?"

Manon held up a hand to her mouth, her normally white face a tan color without all the make-up. "You two ought to just go to couples counseling if things keep ending up like this. He he he he!"

A little puff of smoke poffed in her hand, producing a bike-horn. She honked it twice.

"She'll get upset if she catches you cheating on her with Johann!"

She started cackling, puffing the bike-horn in cadence with her guffaws.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

"Maybe-" before Johann could make his suggestion, the hall burst to life with groggy students and swinging doors. He was immediately overwhelmed and subsumed by silence. Unconsciously, he sidled to one wall. Sensing his anxiety, Chuffy placed his skull under one of Johann's hands, which earned him a weak smile from the boy in black.

"...if she catches you cheating on her with Johann!"

Johann's skin swiftly went from pale moonlight to alabaster, then blossomed around the cheeks. "Wh- NO! Iiiii- NO! I'mmmm NOT-!" He stammered, at a true loss for words. He'd never kissed a girl, let alone kissed another girl's girl! And he would definitely never do that to his friends. They were friends right? He wasn't sure how long you had to know a person before you could officially call them your friend.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Willow sighed at Manon's joke. The girl was nice enough sure, but Willow had never been all that keen on dealing with clowns; even if the other girl wasn't in make up at the time. Grumbling a bit as the quip seemed to have had the desired effect on poor Johann, Willow gave a flat stare. "I'm not seeing anyone, Manon," the Brit said to the Frenchwoman. Turning her attention back to Johann, she put a steadying hand on his shoulder; if she had any metal with her it could have been a good opportunity to practice some emotion magic to help him calm down.

"Focus, Johann. I'll go tell Kat, you go tell Vrey. Plan to meet around the left side of the building ASAP, no later than ten minutes. Go quick, get changed, grab your phone and magic... stuff," Willow directed the fluster boy. With that, Willow set off at a soft jog as she did her best to not cause more commotion that could draw the attention of the RA, but practically leapt down the stairs in two bounds. The boon of a number of other students moving around was that they could act as a red herring long enough for Johann and herself to complete their task. She herself needed to at least get back to her room before heading out so she could grab a vial or two of metal. She wasn't sure what to expect, so she would prepare for the worst while hoping for the best.

Before too long, she got to Kat's door, thankful to see she was awake as well. "Kat! Perfect. I'll be quick. Drysi's disappeared. I'm worried. Want your help. Get dressed. Meet out side to the left of entrance in ten. I gotta go get changed myself," Willow said, barely stopping to take a breath. Having said what needed saying, Willow was still running hot. Shooting Kat some finger guns, the Brit turned and hustled back to the stairs. She felt like she was wasting time, and couldn't shake the anxiety she was feeling.