[The Dorms] A Perilous Acquaintance

Kokuten

Re: [The Dorms] A Perilous Acquaintance

Post by Kokuten »

“Vengeance? One of us?”

Diligence squinted hard, looking up at Willow with a sour expression. “One of us? Who fed you that line?”

He became more serious, “No, don’t tell me. We got so many names for shit around ‘ere, it ain’t wrong to be confused. We could never agree on what to call her. But Vengeance? She’s the only thing in the land that the Guide’s ever named. Smart probably told you all about how things go with smallfolk and physics and shit, but she’s bad at important details.”

At the edges of the hall were eyes looking in of quarrids and smallfolk, drawn by the break in the fighting. One by one, they began to creep back in, wary of the ongoing conversation between the messenger and the artisan. Diligence went about setting the tables right in the room.

“Me, and the spineless types y’ran inta’ back in Navipolis… we’re like demi-gods. We can shape the world to our will once we learn, get it? But the Guide? He’s a God. This whole world lives because of him, and he can change what we’ve made with just a thought,” explained Diligence, turning to cast his arms up at the caverns, “Took me a hundred years to shape these mountains, two hundred to cultivate tha’ quarrids. The Guide spoke us into existence, one at a time, even made us a little home to find our feet in.”

His arms fell to his sides, “Vengeance is a dark God who is on the same level as the Guide. She’s left over from a pantheon that was slain centuries ago. Y’eva been to the Moon Park in tha’ center of Navipolis? Creative put up a mural of a bunch of humans working together to beat just one.”

Then, he shrugged, “What you might be thinkin’ of is tha’ Forgotten. Creative calls her the Slumberer, and everyone has some dumb name for her, but it doesn’t change the fact she’s one of us, an artisan. She just never woke up like we did, and Vengeance keeps a perch over her body. Spriggans, been around since the beginning, they put up offerings at her resting place to see if it’ll wake her up. Doesn’t. Probably got more to do with the demon god takin’ up residence over her bed.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

Appearing at first that she was going to help straighten things up, Willow instead found another pastry; this one somewhat disfigured by the fighting. Chewing idly as she watched the quarrids as Diligence waxed aggressive. As the Artisan’s explanation continued, Willow couldn’t help but picture Mister Caxton the Dorm Mother when it was revealed Vengeance was on par with him; unable to help picturing an angry woman shouting after students running in the hall. For some reason her mental image of Vengeance looked like Mother.

“Probs nothing to read deeper with that…” Willow mumbled with her mouth full. Scratching at the handkerchief pressed against her forehead, she swallowed the bite and turned back to Diligence. “Y’all really do have too many names. Six for The Man Upstairs, then there’s Slumberer an’ Forgotten; just pick someone to make y’all your own Encyclopedia Britanica.”

She sat the half-eaten pastry down.

“Regardless, doesn’t change the plan. Got my own crew building, not to brag; though it’d be rad to add another Artisan to the roster, just sayin’. An’ those humans that did all that fighting? This one I will brag ‘bout, but those humans are my teachers. Two of them I was a direct protégé of. Hey, got any adamantine?”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

With a profusion of new details to process Diligence considered what to address first in the Allomancer’s list. After a moment too long of thought, he began.

“Adamantine? Sure. We got pretty much–...”

“Oh wow! She’s still alive!” came a cheery voice, that of Curie, floating in ahead of a small procession. Helen was driving the wagon back in, followed by Phyllis, who was dragging the spriggan over the floor, daisy chained to the berserker, who also slid uselessly over the floor.

“She better be,” buzzed Helen, standing up on her bench, after she stopped the cart, “I’m going to need more than good faith to get my business back on track.”

Naturally, Willow’s companions gravitated towards her, but stopped short at the presence of Diligence. The only exception was Bjorn. Lost in the ensuing fray, he hopped onto a bench, and then a table, trying to make his way back to Willow. His other wing was now mangled, crushed in the exchange, leaving him just barely flightless.

Mr. Flynn would have come to mind with Diligence pinching the bridge of his nose as he did.

“Maybe we should move this somewhere else,” suggested the artisan, “the Guide is here now, so he can straighten out tha’ loose details. But… more importantly… is that my shipment?”

He pointed at Helen, more past her into the cart, “You either got Smart stowed in there, or part of her.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

Turning towards the sound of familiar voices Willow gave a casual wave. Watching the procession of companions she couldn’t help but frown at Bjorn; out of concern, not disappointment or pity. She sat down with her back against the table he had hopped onto before continuing her discussion.

“Hol’ up. The Guide’s here? He teleport here? Hmm, he did teleport me back when I got on his nerves, so makes sense. It is suddenly dawning on me that I could have gone and asked him to bamf me here instead of hoofing it,” Willow let her words meander. “But first, we have our own business to attend to. Worry about your parcel afterward. Between the Guide being here and me having a shopping lit of metals I want t’ get my hands on, we have a lot to talk about.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

As Willow took charge of the conversation, the smallfolk around her began to pay a bit more attention, like they did prior to the start of the fight. Eyes began flitting between the two, and the artisan’s silence inspired an early retreat in some. Helen sat stiff where she was as Phyllis began to slowly turn her head in the direction of the golem, glaring daggers at her. Murmuring began to pick up as Diligence took his time thinking of a response.

“Sure,” he shrugged, alleviating all the tension throughout the room. Beckoning Willow to follow, Diligence turned back to the doorway he had come through, “But we’re gunna walk an’talk; sittin’ still too long is nauseatin’. Yvette, park that cart and make sure no one gets near it. Juliet, Louis, Marcel. Help her out.”

The quarrid for earlier threw her hand up in the air, answering with a literally fiery howl. Bjorn, sensing a bit of impatience in the voice of an artisan, gingerly hopped onto Willow’s shoulder and carefully tucked his sundered wings in. He looked back at the other smallkin that were hangering on to Willow’s quest and made a sharp turn of his head, as if ordering them to follow. Helen, irritated, but eager to escape Phyllis’ gaze, was first to come to Willow’s side. The Sergeant grunted as she pulled along two of the others.

“Will you get up?” spat Phyllis at Ghyslain, who was laying on the floor, and causing the spriggan to trip up. The berserker sat up at once, looking at the others.

“I’m being helpful,” remarked Ghyslain as he snapped off his bonds and stood, becoming the second to catch up with Willow. Phyllis was next with her unwilling prisoner. Curie came in fast after a brief discussion with Yvette, remarking that she was now thoroughly invested.

A vaulted, lit passageway bored deeper into the mountain, revealing deeper corridors and hallways along the sides as they went. After some walking, they crossed a short span that looked to be part of a broad shaft that stretched further down into a chasm so vast that the lights that filled it looked like a starry sky. After a period of chilly, stony air, Diligence pressed up the stairs into waning daylight.

“You said you need some metals, huh?” he asked, coming up to a railway that seemed built for him, but had a lower section to accommodate smallkin. They had seemed to be on the other side of the mountain, revealing a wide, green valley. On one side was verdant mountainside, with several paths winding up and down into a small village. On the other side was a dark forest that looked sick, even from where Willow stood, “Gunna’ need to be more specific, an’ I mean really specific. You asked for adamantine. You talkin’ the pure stuff, or are you needed somethin’ straight from the earth?”

The foreman watched the dark forest, before eying the walkway that seemed to lead along the edge of the mountain to a wide, green ridge. “Might help if you actually write it down. Gunna take time to get it together, too, especially if you need it refined. We don’t keep bars lyin’ around that ain’t earmarked for somethin’. Not t’mention, it ain’t every day that I get some lunk come walkin’ askin’ for specialty orders in tha’ middle of my shift.”

He rubbed his smooth, fresh chin, “We could probably ask tha’ guide t’juss’ manifest some for you, if what you’re doin’ is mandated, an all that, but he doesn’t like changin’ the world like he used to.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Ace,” came Willow’s straight-to-the-point response. She had fixed the Artisan with a level stare when she felt the room growing tense again, and while she didn’t have a holstered pistol to keep her hand near she did have metal in her stomach ready to burn. That was all moot however, and the Brit stood with an exaggerated groan as Bjorn ushered the others along behind her.

“An’ specific I can be,” Willow assured Diligence. “Iron, Steel, Tin, Pewter, Zinc, Brass, Copper, Bronze, and Mithril are the main metals I’m looking for. Iffen ya happen ta have one’o those electrum coins, I wouldn’t be against bumming it. Perhaps a small bit’o Aluminum; just in case. As for the Adamantine, that ties in wit’ another matter ya might be able ta help me wit’. I’m still findin’ new metals ta burn. Newest being Mithril, and now I need ta find its paired metal. An alloy to a pure base metal. My initial thought was that Mithril and Adamantine might be a pair, but I’m not sure if one is an alloy of the other. Even still, wouldn’t mind eating some Adamantine; just to find out.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

“Adamant and Mithril are two different beasts entirely. Mithril is easy to shape when heated, and is light an’hard. Adamant is hard to work with, heavy, but nearly unbreakable when forged. Takes a master to turn it into anything without makin’ an expensive brick,” explained Diligence, already looking and sounding like he forgot the list of metals Willow had just asked for. He was already launching into another tangent before one of Willow’s companions could pipe up, making his way down the mountainside path.

Another rail of stone guided them down towards a garden lined with golems similar to the ones Willow had seen Clever create. Looming over this manicured lot of nature was a tall, stone structure, carved into the rock with a tall entrance that led back into the mountain. A small table was set at the center of a freshly trimmed green with a pair of tea cups arranged neatly to one side.

“Mithril… the only thing I know you can smelt with that is Ivorium,” pondered Diligence as he stepped down among the rows of hedges, “It’s an alchemical metal, you get it transmutin’ mithril and nickel; makes for a really shiny piece a’kit. Adamantine has a few alloys, mostly to make it not a fuckin’ pain t’work with. Like y’saber there, Orihalcum is made by blendin’ adamant an’ copper. Makes it lighter, good for makin’ blades that don’t need a lot of sharpenin’.”

Diligence stopped at the table, looking confused. He turned his head one way, and then another, as if searching for someone. Then, he turned back to Willow and her entourage and asked, “What did you want, again?”

Bjorn turned to the other smallkin following her. Phyllis gritted her teeth and tied the rope to her waist, before fishing into one of her saddle-bags. She tugged out a little stack of papers bound by a metal clasp.

“Don’t pester me you sour grape; I heard her: iron, steel, nickle, adamantine, zinc, brass, aluminum, electrum, and mercury,” grumbled Phyllis, also pulling out a small, gilded pen. Before she could commit the right metals before the wrong ones, Helen snatched the pen out of her hand.

“Were you not even listening!?” admonished the little golem, showing her true face with a burning set of jeweled eyes, “iron, steel, tin, pewter, zinc, brass, copper, bronze, and mithril. Are you trying to poison her?”

Phyllis was both affronted and embarrassed, but had no words to answer Helen’s sudden tenacity in the face of someone being incorrect about something. The golem was already furiously scribbling her words down, “Electrum coins and aluminum are a plus.

Willow felt a stone hand slap her thigh, as Helen was keeping her eyes on her notes, “How did you want them shaped? You didn’t answer him, or are you not listening either?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Was stuck between admiring the view, and wondering when I’d gained a secretary,” Willow responded, her tone light. She had also been considering Diligence’s explanation of Mithril and adamantine, but that didn’t fit the quip quite as well. Addressing Helen first, she continued. “I s’pose marbles would be convenient for ease of consumption and transport. Long term requires a bit more special storage.”

Plus she wanted to avoid chugging oil for a bit.

“That said, if I could also get some shavings from ivorium and orichalcum, that’d be top. Iffen ivorium is the only thing you can think of, then I’m betting dollars to donuts that’s Mithril’s pair. Adamantine I’m still just guessing on but thematically it feels similar to Mithril, so with luck it’s a part of the set; by extension the orichalcum. Also, some quantities to note if you would, Helen.”

Willow proceeded to give Helen the Notetaker, and Diligence of course, rough estimates turned into confident numbers of how much of each metal by weight she would like to procure. Pewter, one-hundred and twenty grams; a number she’d learned prior to be the rough weight of one cubic inch of Pewter. Descending from there by quantity was; Steel, Iron, Brass, Zinc, Mithril, Copper, Bronze, Tin. With Electrum being requested as one coin, or if possible the same amount but in easy to eat marble form. While Aluminum was just some shavings, so she could mix with water and drink before bed.

“Oh! And before I forget, what metal is this?” Willow asked with sudden enthusiasm as she pulled out one of the nuts Clever had given her and gently tossed it to Diligence.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Diligence snatched the nut out of the air and gave it a close look. Helen, meanwhile, was scribbling furiously as she took down everything that had been relayed to her. The golem didn’t notice Ghyslain creeping up behind her until it was too late.

“Seventy, sixty, eighty-two,” droned the berserker in Helen’s ‘ear’. The golem began writing the numbers down before it was too late. She backhanded the quarrid.

“Knock it off!”

“He heh heh…”

“This looks like the stuff we pressed for Clever,” determined Diligence, before tossing the metal into the yawning maw of his likely adamantine teeth. After a couple of grinding crunches, he continued out of the corner of his mouth, “Oh, f’sure. Aluminum n’copper alloy. Sturdy stuff. It’s got a name though, can’t remember it f’tha life a’me.”

”Duralumin.”

The group turned to see a one armed man at the garden arch in the center of the green. A door hung from darkened space within, which dispersed as he shut it with his elbow. In his one hand was a carefully handled, steaming teapot.

Another tallkin,” gasped Curie, “They’re popping up everywhere now!”

Few in the group seemed to recognize him, save for Willow and Diligence. He was Percival Caxton, as plain and boring as a one-armed man could be, at least as Willow recognized him.

“I was lookin’ for you!” mentioned Diligence, swallowing the last of his duralumin treat.

“I know. Unfortunately my timing with the kettle isn’t as apt as I’d like.”

“But I don’t like tea.”

“I know.”

“Oh,” Diligence looked at the table, before coming up sharply, and then at Willow.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Oh good, it actually did seem to be the person Willow had been thinking. She’d seen a decent amount since her meeting with the man in charge, despite nary a day passing. As such she’d matured, she felt, a good deal. At least enough to address the situation with some modicum of respect and grace.

“Sup,” Willow called while she was still processing. Cursing herself inwardly, the allomancer cleared her throat before continuing. “Dude.”

Shit.

Scratching at the side of her head, Willow side-eyed the rest of the room to gauge reactions.

“So, uh, Duralumin? Rad. Nice to actually have a name for it. Nice o’ ya to drop in, by the by. Although makes me wonder iffen ya couldn’t o’ just hand waved me here myself. ‘sides the point; I could go for a spot o’ tea. Perhaps over you ‘splaning why you came here?”