[Austria] Chapter 2.1 - The Sage of Doors & His Lovely Enchantress

Mr. Blackbird Lore

[Austria] Chapter 2.1 - The Sage of Doors & His Lovely Enchantress

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Johann, Chuffy, Vrey, Remarque, Kat, Drysi, and Willow all spilled through the portal into a cozy sitting room that the former immediately recognized. Lady soon followed, the latter stumbling through, uncharacteristically off balance. But she recovered her poise quickly and sighed. There was an incredibly weary look on her face as she slowly walked past the stairwell into the hall.

"Umm, Miss Sumedha! Pppplease don't wander--"

The counselor turned her fatigued eyes onto Johann and offered a look that would brook no argument. Then she disappeared around the corner and quietly closed the bathroom door behind her. Inside, she pressed her back to the door, shut her eyes, and tried to still her rattling mind.

"Okkkay, well..." The youngest Krieger turned toward the portal door just in time to see Opa Krieger enter backwards, sliding into the room as if on an oil slick with perfect posture. Reika and Kitsueki came charging into the room last. Opa Krieger held up a cane to stop the first and caught the second with a gentle hand. The door swung shut on its own and blipped out of existence. There was worry and fatigue in the old man's face, but he brightened immensely when he saw Johann again. "Jojo!"

"Opa!" Johann rushed forward and hugged his grandfather tight. The pair relished the moment before separating.

"Okay, Knabe," Johann's Opa began as he shuffled to the couch and sat himself down. "Stelle uns vor." One hefty and aged hand gestured to Johann's peers.

"Yes!" He gestured to the nearest student. "Sssso this is Willow! She's British and shshshshshe's an allommmmmmancer." "And um..." He inexplicably paused before the next name. "Drysi. Oh! She jjjjjust became a druid! She has a ppppet snake!" It was clear his excitement at seeing his grandfather was getting the better of his stutter, but he pressed on.

"Then that's Katerina." He pointed to the blond. "She's an elementalist! And this is Vrey. She's..." He tilted his head as he wracked his brain for a good explanation. "She's an extraplanar entity who was rescued from a necromancer that was doing evil things and now she's been given the chance to expppperience mortal life! Her magic is kinda sppppooky." He wiggled his fingers to emphasize the point.

His eyes searched the group for the next familiar face. Then he blushed and looked at the coffee table. Then he looked bashfully at his grandpa. "And um, that's Manon. She's a clown. And..." He glanced timidly at her, silently searching for an answer, but either didn't find it or thought better of saying anything. "Um, nevermind. Oh, and Miss Sumedha, the guidance counselor, went to the bathroom, I think."

Johann glanced at the last two students and blanked. "I ddddon't actually know them... Um, who are you?" Opa Krieger shifted on the couch to face the last two directly and waited with a kind and patient smile.
Kokuten

Re: [Austria] Chapter 2.1 - The Sage of Doors & His Lovely Enchantress

Post by Kokuten »

Manon bounded through the portal with a characteristic grace, shoving on after Johann. For most of her life, disaster and danger seemed to be a consistent theme. The potential of having lost her home wasn’t exactly a new feeling, however unwelcome it was. Instead, she seemed to instantly sink her teeth into this new set of surroundings. Her painted face whipped in several directions, like an excited tourist.

Introductions made it even more exciting. What was this, his grandparents' house? Yes. Yes it was! Oba was always mentioned fondly, but not his parents; in that place in Johann’s warm, black heart, there was just a yearning. A yearning to be like them; to be like his father. Johann knew what it was like to not have parents, yet he was still the sweet man he was.

The clown snapped to when she heard her name, and her boldness was fed the kindling it needed by the blush on the Necromancer’s face. She scooped up Johann’s arm into her chest, her bells jingling as she tucked it close to her.

“Bonjour grand-père! I am very French, and very fond of your boy,” Manon smiled wide, “Merci for your–...”

“WHAT THE FOOK JUS’ HAPPENED,” Drysi cried shrilly, shivering against Willow. “Are we juss’ ignorin’ what jus’ happened? Am I crazy? Did I juss’ imagine it?”

The triclops seemed to gather herself as her familiar gently glided over her shoulders and she smiled with strained politeness at Johann’s grandfather, “Grand t’meet you, juss’ bangin’ place you got here, but I’m freakin’ the fook out right now.
Zotsune

Post by Zotsune »

When called upon Kitsueki attempted to put on a straight face but it is obvious she is a bit shaken up after the ordeal. Before she acknowledged the question she changed her legs back to their human form

"Oh me? I-I'm Kitsueki I just transferred into Safeholme today. I dropped off my bags in my dorm room and then wandered in the fairgrounds to enjoy the event. I'm sorry if my coming to Safeholme brought this upon the school, my family always said I brought bad luck wherever I went."

After she finished her little speech she looked down and had a reserved expression on her face.

I should never have come to Safeholme, all I wanted was to find out who my father was and my family would never tell and even when I look at my blood under a microscope it looks so volatile that I cant figure anything out. Maybe my family was right maybe I am cursed to live an unhappy life.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Following the others, Katerina made her way through the portal. Perhaps running a bit harder than she was used to and, finding herself in the rather comfortable embrace of a cozy european sitting room, she was nearly thrown for a loop. however, she was able to give herself time to come to terms with it as she doubled over, hands resting on her knees as she took some rather needed heavy breaths as sprinting was not her forte. by the time she was introduced to this 'Opa' fellow, she had managed to recover for the most part, and straightened herself up enough to give a small friendly wave, as she still felt she might keel over were she to give the traditional Japanese bow. To add to that, her other hand still clutched her satchel, which she mindlessly checked again to ensure that no harm had come to it.

As for Reika, the majority of her training had been on how to deal with hostile entities, and other similar threats, and so, as she ran toward one portal with Kitsueki in tow, she was taken by surprise when a benevolent force pulled the pair to an entirely different portal. Still ready for blows, the raven-haired girl glanced about, quickly realizing she was not in any immediate danger, and sheathed her Katana, the physical enhancing wards dropping one by one as Johann began introducing everyone he knew in the room. Though they had met before, it was only briefly, so she was not surprised that he hadn't remembered the event. In fact, she was somewhat glad nobody seemed to remember as she had embarrassed herself in front of the majority of those present on that occasion.

"I am Ookamichi Reika, from a branch family of the Michizaki clan. I am cousin to Katerina, who is from the main family." Unlike her relative of higher social standing, Reika did not hesitate to give a deep formal bow, continuing "I thank you for taking us into your care, and will be glad to be of service."
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Nah, ya didn’t imagine it, I’m afraid,” Willow said softly to Drysi as she put a comforting arm around the other girl. Her friends had made it inside, as did Kat’s cousin Reika, and another girl that she didn’t recognize. What mattered was that they appeared to be safe for the time being, but the young allomancer was still wired from the burst of adrenaline. Setting up her defenses Willow began to burn Copper and Bronze, masking her surroundings from generalized detection spells, while also sensing magic in the vicinity. Once she had filtered through her friends, associates, and family of friends, Willow felt for unknown persons that might catch them by surprise. Once introductions had cycled around she realized she was probably making an out of character look. Doing her best to brighten the serious face she wore, Willow instead presented a somewhat stiff smile to the elderly man.

“Pleased to meet you, sir. Same to you, Kitsueki. It’s a shame it couldn’t have been done under better circumstances,” Willow looked around the room as she took stock. The students were separated from their instructors save for Miss Sumedha, but while the teen knew Ruarc & Co. were forces to be reckoned with, their guidance counselor was unknown to her. The same could be said of the students. She knew what she could do, and knew her friends could hold their own. Even Reika was a somewhat known quantity if just by vague reputation. The new girl was new and unknown, and by the looks of it somewhat frightened; a fact Willow tried not to be judgmental of given that she had been in those shoes not long ago.

“Any clue what we’re dealing with?” Willow rephrased Drysi’s question but with a bit more control, and looked towards where Sumedha had gone in hopes of getting some adult input. “Given we’re split from the main group we should figure out if we’re staying put, or trying to regroup with the others.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Drysi held tightly to Willow, and the feeling of reciprocated touch went a long way into calming her down. She started to look a little embarrassed that she had been so rude. Then, her hands went to her head, clapping over her ears. It looked like a headache at first, but then she began to breath rapidly as tears began spilling out from her three eyes.

"Willow; Ms. Brennan's dead," Drysi shook, gripping tightly to Willow, her head whipping back at forth as more tears streamed out, becoming hysterical, "She-- She was at my ceremony. She was... She was there at the grounds when we were running... We have-- We hav-- We- We have to go back. We have to go back. We have to go back, there are still people there."
Zotsune

Post by Zotsune »

Kitsueki looked up and what little facade faded away and her face looked more worried than before.

"Wait a second, people are still there fighting? I thought once the alarms rang everyone would go and escape. Maybe some faculty stay behind to ensure the students made it out but that they would be following after. And who would even attack a school? I get that magic can be scary if used improperly but that is why schools exist right? To teach people how to do things the right way?"

She then took a deep breath after her outburst and a sense of calm seemed to have overtaken her.

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure what took over me. I get wanting to fight for a home and if I felt like I could contribute more than get in the way I would probably feel more inclined to go back and fight myself but I just don't know what is going on and i would be lying if i didn't say I wasn't scared."

She grabbed her fox tail and started to hug it, her body language suggested that she was more relaxed after speaking her mind than she did immediately after Reika and her arrived.
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Vrey touched a gauntlet'd finger to where she had no hair in emulation of tugging at a forelock and bobbed her head once again respectfully towards Johann's opa. "Sie haben ein schönes Zuhause, werter Herr Krieger." The bald teen stood casually outside most of the group as she curiously took in the house about her, but her attention was snapped away as Drysi and Kitseuki both began to shout. "Entschuldigen Sie." Without looking away from the commotion, Vrey apologised to the older man as she began walking towards Drysi.

"Remarque: wasser." Vrey spoke softly to the puppy and in response he shimmied down and into her bag, coming back up holding a bottle of water in a combination of his mouth and forelegs. "Danke."

Standing in front of Drysi and Willow, Vrey picked up Remarque by his scruff - the puppy still proffering forth the bottle of water he held. "Drysi. Water. Drink." Taking in the druid's panicked state the bald teen let a small frown turn the corners of her lips and instead turned her attention towards Willow. "Willow. Drysi is in-" The girl's forehead wrinkled in thought for a moment. "-schock-trauma. Needs to drink." Vrey gestured towards Remarque who let out a small yip and shuffled the bottle closer for Willow to be able to grab.

With her free hand Vrey flipped open her satchel completely revealing a stock of water and assorted candies and chocolates. "Everyone is offered."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

THUMP

Wolfgang Krieger slammed the butt of his cane on the floor with surprising strength. "Children! Be calm. You have many questions and concerns. We will get to them. For now, rest. You will all stay here for the night." He fixed Drysi. "No exceptions. My lovely wife will be home soon to start dinner. Then we will eat, and we will speak of the day. For now, let us get you situated."

Before he could rise from his seat, Lady reentered the room and her presence seemed to bring a reassuring aura. She had regained her customary poise and grace; her hair and clothing were once again pristine, save for a few smears of dirt. "All of the evacuees are out of Safeholme," Lady assured them, careful to skirt around the fact that some had chosen to remain behind. "And even if they were not, you cannot help them by leaping back into fray. You have learned much, but you are not graduates. You are not ready to help with something of this magnitude.

"So we will do our part here. We will continue to study. We will find our friends and family and we will keep each other safe. Johann, could you show your friends where they'll be sleeping?"

Johann, flabbergasted, looked to his grandpa with a quizzical expression. "Reika and Kitsueki will sleep on the floor in your room with you. The other girls will be in the guest room."

Johann lit up like a red christmas light. "But Oppppa! Mmmy--"

"Jojo."

Johann quieted down, seeing his grandfather's stern look. "Okay, Opa. C'mon evvvveryone." The stairwell was just behind the couch, and Johann led the way up, his eyes scanning a phot on the wall. His smile was nostalgic. He pointed at it. "That's all of us: Oma, Opa, Mama, Papa, und Onkel Reiner. Tante Ursula tttttook the picture."

It was a family christmas photo: there were six people, fairly easy to identify. Opa Krieger and what could only be his wife sat on the couch they had just seen downstairs. In the next seat was a man with receding dark hair holding hands with a tall blond who stood beside him. Johann, who couldn't be more than eleven, stood with both his bright hazel eyes staring up at his parents and hands triumphantly displaying his latest unwrapped treasure. Another man, his head shaved bald, stood behind Opa and his wife smiling at the scene.

The whole wall went on like that: weddings and graduations; days spent fishing and hours spent working on classic cars; some had Johann as a child, others had his father or his uncle as a child; nearly all of them contained his grandma, grandpa, or both.

Only one picture had a single subject, the last one. Johann, perhaps 11 or 12, sat in a high-backed leather office chair. It was turned toward the camera. One hazel eye was hidden beneath that familiar turban. A cheery smile lit up a face still fresh with bruises and scrapes. In his arms was a massive book: Der Nekronomikon des Doktor Faust.

Johann didn't look at it.

At the top, he opened the first door on the right. "Sssso... This is my room." The room had the sterile cleanliness of a room that has gone long without use. The wood of the furniture was all blond; the covers of his single-sized bed were green and pulled back to reveal the gray sheets beneath. The green and silver theme carried around the room: the silver desk chair with green cushion, the silver TV atop a green dresser with silver handles, and so on and so on.

"I guess um... Reika and Kkkkitsueki, you um... Will sleep in here. With mmmm..." He was already fiercely red and couldn't finish the sentence. "Um, anyways!"
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Katerina and Reika Both found all of their attention on Wolfgang as he thumped his cane on the floor. They nodded along, and despite having quite different appearances, they both gave the same deferential respect when a family's patriarch was speaking to them, something ingrained into the both of them from having grown up in a strictly regimented prominent Japanese family-clan. With their instructions given, Katerina followed behind Johann and her other friends, while the taller swordswoman lagged behind a little with the visibly shaken fox girl.

Kat seemed fascinated by the numerous family photos on the Kriegers' wall, taking a moment to look at each one and wonder what life had been like for the family in each of them, and how she knew that life had certainly changed quite drastically since then. the blonde nearly opened her moth to comment on the last one, but thought better of it, cresting the top of the stairway and taking a peek into the young man's room, and the crisp cleanliness and defined color scheme that flowed throughout, and noting how it contrasted with her own room at home; a modern and angular space with neutral colors that spoke only of efficiency and not much else. Her satchel remained close to her chest, and she peered down into its zippered opening, knowing that perhaps now might be the best time to hand out the majority of its contents. Though, there were two people she had bought gifts for that were not present, and their absence worried her.

Reika followed the group dutifully, taking care to stay close to Kitsueki. Though she had only a short time more spent with the new girl, she knew that even that little bit of familiarity could help a worried person in worrisome times, and being a bit of an outsider to the group at large meant that she felt no major need to interfere with their dynamic, unless perhaps Katerina desired, which didn't seem to be the case at the moment. Looking in upon Johann's room, Reika took quick stock of where everything was, and nodded. "This should do fine," she commented, though, having nothing she currently wanted to set down, she did not take the time to get settled in just yet, waiting rather to see where the others would be as well as the rest of the layout of the second floor, in case some need or issue arose later. "Kitsueki?" she asked the younger girl in Japanese to ensure familiarity, "If you need anything more, don't be afraid to speak up. I can translate if you struggle with other languages"