[Texas] Chapter 2.1: You Shouldn't Have Come Back

The story of magic in North America.
Kokuten

Re: [Texas] Chapter 2.1: You Shouldn't Have Come Back

Post by Kokuten »

Eryl came up to Eleanor, and took up the woman’s powerful hands in her own. For having met a triclops for the first time, Eleanor was taking the experience well, albeit it would be difficult to pin down how to look into a gaze that had three eyes carefully angled to have no superior shape over the others. Nonetheless, the dark-haired woman was serious, her chest rising high.

“I swear to you. Your daughter will return to you. On my life.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“You got it, Jane,” Ruarc answered as he dutifully. Noting Jane and Eleanor in the kitchen and what must have been the tail end of a conversation. Laoise was elsewhere, it seemed. Probably in the bedroom still doing inventory. Starting with the bedroom on the right, he didn’t dawdle in setting the bundle of wood down before moving to the next bedroom. Once he was a step away from the doorway he heard something. It was a small noise, easily missed, but it was one he had heard enough times to recognize. Scanning the left bedroom he saw nothing out of the ordinary. Squinting, he went and sat the last bundle of wood down by the stove, before moving towards the bed as though he were taking a look around. Then once at its edge, swooped down and quickly reached under. As he drew his hand back and stood up, in his grip was a dove.

Moving his familiar so that he was holding her directly in front of his face, Ruarc gave Laoise an unamused stare.

“You, Laoise Caer Ibormeith Flynn, were snooping, weren’t you?” Ruarc’s tone was scolding as he began to interrogate his familiar.

“And YOU were chopping wood shirtless? Nice move actually,” Laoise instead sounded complimentary.

“Don’t change the subject, but do change back, quick,” he wasn’t going to be distracted, and tossed the dove unceremoniously. Curiously, ever since her experience in the Elementia, her abilities had changed. Since she no longer needed her necklace to take human form her transformations and casting no longer produced a radiant white light. Instead it now appeared in a way Ruarc still had a hard time describing. Her dove form looked to shift to golden lines, shifting between geometric and organic, outlining her dove form before shifting to her human form. It made him think of astronomy lectures on the constellations he’d been able to attend at Carneath Keep. It was fascinating to watch, and the entire process was quite quick.

“So…” Laoise began, but was interrupted by Ruarc raising a hand to motion for her to stop.

“I know, you’re trying to distract yourself from what’s going on, but don’t let that lead to overstepping boundaries. Eleanor is being a good host, don’t be a bad guest,” Ruarc put the hand on Laoise’s shoulder. Laoise simply hung her head and nodded. “Now, let’s head back out.”

With that, Ruarc turned and went back into the hall.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

In the Hall
Ruarc opened the door as Jane was passing. She glanced reflexively, saw the two of them in the room, and furrowed her brows. "Everything alright?" With Ruarc's reassurance, she nodded and proceeded

Into the Kitchen
Where she found Eryl clasping hands with her mother. The Smiths exchanged looks; the matron smiled warmly; her daughter returned the smile and deposited her second bundle of wood into the small basket beside the kitchen stove.

"Set the table, Janie."

"Sure, mama." She glanced over her shoulder as Ruarc entered the kitchen. "Ye folks go an wash up. Food's near ready."

Dinnerware was plucked from cupboards. The table was set. The stewing pot came to the table, simmering. The smell that raided everyone's nostrils evoked nostalgia and assured their safety. No place could smell like that and present a threat-- like grandma's house, or the sweet neighbors' who always gave you more than you deserved. It would break some nebulous universal law.

Eleanor sat at the head of the table, facing toward the living room. Instinctually, Jane settled into her preferred seat as a child- then saw the look in her mother's eyes, and moved closer. At this table for six, two seats remained to Eleanor's left, one on Jane's right, and the seat across from Eleanor.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Laoise followed along in silence following the rebuke. Ruarc had been right, and the familiar intended to mind her manners; at least insofar as snooping was concerned. Living room pictures were still fair game, but those could wait as dinner time had arrived. This presented a chess-like quandary. As the elder Flynn had never been particularly versed in etiquette, Laoise had learned about it enough to help in situations like this. Eleanor was clearly the host. Jane could have taken either the secondary host seat at the opposite end of the table, but sat at her mother’s insistence in the honored guest’s seat to the matriarch’s right. The challenge for her to determine would be where to place Ruarc. Typically, the importance of a guest radiated counterclockwise from the host and the guest of honor, so should she urge Ruarc to sit to Jane’s right? She doubted a rustic American household would read into such things, but she knew the spots she needed.

A hand on Ruarc’s shoulder gently guided the Irishman to the seat on Eleanor’s left. Laoise figured this would posture Ruarc as being humble, and planting him across from Jane was an added benefit. Proximity versus the ease of eye contact, and the ability to chat with the woman’s mother. Besides, it looked as though he had been about to sit at the opposite end of the table, and that just wouldn’t do.

Ruarc, who had in fact obliviously been about to sit at the opposite end of the table cocked an eyebrow at Laoise, but didn’t dispute.

“Smells wonderful in here, Eleanor,” Ruarc thanked his host as he took his seat to her left. “And once more, my sister and I are in your debt for letting us into your home.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

While the table was being set, Eryl was fanning herself with her hand, trying to settle the redness in her face. Being nearly caught by Jane, making such bold declarations to her mother was absolutely mortifying. If Jane caught wind of Eryl's true, very secret feelings before she was ready to share them…

Oh, mortifying, just mortifying!

The Abjurer was so caught up in her thoughts that she missed the first pick of the chairs. Laoise had slotted Ruarc in the position that put him furthest away from the chair reserved for the guest of honor. Now he appeared humble, was sitting across from Jane, and was next to Elaenor! At this point, the only polite choice left was next to Ruarc, which put her in all the weakest proximities of her desires except being polite!

Wait, what am I thinking? The Smiths are Americans.

And so, Eryl sat herself next to Jane, suddenly feeling very content.

"There are so many chairs," noticed Eryl, looking at the empty spaces at the table. "Is everything handmade? Jane built everything on her land herself; I imagine she gets it honestly."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Eleanor Smith smiled wanly at Eryl, who had once again stumbled into another unmarked emotional minefield. "Once upon a time, they'da been full up an one short with all o ye here..." She sighed heavily, expelling the negative emotions. "But yes. My husband, he was real good with his hands. Now-" She held out a hand to Jane and the other to Ruarc. "Grace."

Jane clasped her mother's hand in her left and Eryl's hand in her right. To the latter she offered a reassuring smile before lowering her head and closing her eyes.

When all hands were joined, Eleanor began. "Heavenly Host, we're grateful fer the blessin ye've given us, bringin this family back 'ogether. I been livin on prayers fer my sweet girl's return an here she is, healthy an in fine comp'ny." Jane's thumb idly caressed Eryl's hand as she listened. "Yer strength is what brought us this far, in yer eternal quest fer Righteousness and Grace among men. And so we ask ye 'gain, ta grant our souls succor; ta guide our hans toward yer ens; ta shine our eyes with yer light; ta warm our hearts with yer love; and to ne'er let us ferget the faces o those before us. Amen."

"Amen," Jane echoed, fingers sliding over Eryl's wrist as she reluctantly released her dear friend's hand.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Despite never being one for religion or prayer, Ruarc still took part in grace whenever a situation called for it. After all, he wasn’t opposed to religion, and at the same time he didn’t feel strongly enough to risk offending those in prayer. Besides, it was effectively meditation time, and a chance to refocus himself was always welcome; and if there were some higher power, then what did it hurt closing his eyes for a minute.

“Amen,” Laoise followed.

“Amen. May the most you wish for be the least you receive,” Ruarc said softly as he drew back his hands. Technically it was a toast, but he’d heard it in response to prayer back at the Iron Glory. In his own bit of reverence he picked up his glass, gave it a light tilt to no one, and took a sip before setting it down. Then, unlike how reserved he had been with the carrot cake, the Irishman wasted little time in helping himself to some food. Laoise followed suit, albeit with a bit more grace. The both of them felt that they would need to keep their energy up.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

It had been so long since Eryl had been a part of prayer. Her father had been a devout adherent, and brought her up in the faith. Listening to Eleanor's words brought a sense of comfort that she hadn't know since she had departed her father's care.

Yet, even that was hard to focus on, feeling Jane's hands gripping hers. Eryl's heart fluttered, and fluttered again each time her thumb moved back and forth. It was genuinely the happiest she had felt in years. In the wake of the Flynn's being torn from their home, Eleanor coming to terms with her loss, and Jane suffering from some haunting specter of her past… Eryl glowed. The reality of the situation could not bring her down.

The only thing that surprised her was how comfortable she felt with the whole thing. Being so close didn't make her nervous anymore, just being far away.

She surprised herself even more, as Eryl continued to hold Jane's hand when the prayer ended. She pulled it up to her lips, kissed it, and set back down for Jane to do with as she wished.

"To him be the glory and thanks for all the blessings in our life," said Eryl mindlessly as she eagerly pursued the bread, "Amen."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Jane managed to keep her withdrawal natural in appearance; just a hand returning to the silverware to begin eating; definitely nothing else. The look she shot Eryl was much less natural on her: a slurry of curiosity, confusion, wariness, and concern.

Eleanor was wearing a similar expression, hold the concern, extra confusion. "Him?"

The question was enough to snap Jane back into the moment. "I think... she thinks we're..." Jane huffed a half-laugh, and looked back to Eryl. "We don't pray to a man, Eryl."

"Damn right I don pray ta no damn man!" Exhorted Jane's mother. "Only man what came close enough ta deservin worship gamme three beautiful children an the best decades o my life 'fore," her voiced cracked, "fore that damn devil stole im way."

Jane put a consoling hand on her mother's and they shared a look before the younger explained. "We don put any stock in men er gods. We put our hearts toward the power o Good: The Heavenly Host. The Spirit o Compassion. Yin.

"We usually just call it The White."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Oh. I… Um…"

Eryl fumbled, struggling with just how she could have ended up being in the minority again. Jane's look was also discomforting; what had she done? Oh God. That God, not the other one. Or whatever grounded Ruarc and Laoise. The 'Oh God' God. Oh God, she was starting to spiral tangentially! Had she kissed Jane's hand? Oh God.

The triclops stood, nearly flipping her chair off in reverse. Despite her thin frame, she commanded a great degree of force. It was clear that the flight response had taken hold.

Breathe.

Eryl straightened her britches, and then calmly sat back down.

"I didn't know that," said the triclops, speaking uncharacteristically even, despite flummoxing so hard the moment before, "My mistake. I'm a bit of an anglican myself, so I mistook your prayer for one of mine. How silly of me."

Laughing gently, Eryl proceeded to scream internally.