[Cairo] Swift and Sure

Mr. Blackbird Lore

[Cairo] Swift and Sure

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Travel was the trio's first trial. Jane had suggested with utter seriousness: "We c'n all jus ride." Ever practical and helpful, Ruarc countered that he could send them along the leyline-- just like in France. Eryl, puzzled, pointed out that they didn't have to abuse Jane's dubious powers nor exhaust Ruarc: they could simply utilize the mageway. "That's how I visit Jane every week." She had even presented proof that it wouldn't take long: they could go from Osaka to Cairo in just a couple hours.

Two and a half hours later they were seated in metal chairs outside a cafe. The small wireframe table between them was empty for the time being, but there orders were in. Bags cluttered the sidewalk near their feet. Jane saw Eryl glancing nervously around and seemed to read the body language easily enough.

"I didn wanna waste any time," she explained. "I wanted to--" she interrupted herself when the waiter came out to deliver drinks. For Jane, it was a small shot glass of espresso. When in Rome...
Kokuten

Re: [Cairo] Swift and Sure

Post by Kokuten »

The layered, raven hair that normally flowed freely over Eryl's shoulders was tugged back under an aqua headscarf. She had managed to adjust her clothing just enough to obfuscate her species. A pretty, patterned headwrap covered her third eye under the scarf. In Eryl's mind, the only thing that would stand out more than an Irishman and a cowgirl was another triclops. She couldn't use her top-eye like this, but she didn't mind. She reached for the small cup and almost tipped it over.

Ah, depth perception.

It was just different enough to be inconvenient, and the irritation prickled her extant nervousness. She had decided to come in her hunting attire, which, in the city, made her look a bit like a drab militia member or a window washer. Almost four times she switched her opinions around on whether or not she stood out more or less.

"I think…" Eryl thought carefully on the words, "I think I'm still getting used to your pacing."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Been working on that for the better part of ten years," Ruarc remarked in a tone as simple and straightforward as he was dressed. A loose fit white linen shirt that billowed slightly with its hem tucked into beige linen boat pants. Looking the part of a British expat, he lifted a fragrant cup of Turkish apple tea to his mouth and sipped at it casually beneath the wide brim of a white Panama hat. This degree of incongruous outfit coordination was par for the course he found, and the differences between the three marauders didn't phase him. His combat gear didn't particularly come in a subtle variety, and a six and a half foot tall cloaked man with leather armor and a lightning struck staff would stand out quite a bit. So here he sat, comfortable in the summer heat all things considered, beside a travel bag containing his clothes for the trip as well as his runic leather armor, and a propped up compact golf bag containing his preferred selection of clubs along with his staff. He would change closer to game time, but still kept a couple of knickknacks close at hand just in case.

"Now, where were we?"
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Jane smiled at Eryl's comment. "Ye should know I don mess roun by now. I'da done this m'self awhile ago if it weren fer Hawaii n work. Prolly best I didn, if all m'cards er on the table." She downed her espresso, then paused. "That ain't half bad. Might have ta try m'hand at espresso."

Jane realized she was deviating from her course and quickly corrected, now that the waiter was absent. "This is the market where my contact said he saw em, n I didn wanna waste any time. There's a few hotels close by, it ain't hard fer us to shack up fer the night whenever we need."

The road whereupon the cafe was situated ran west to east. To the east they could clearly make out buildings slightly taller than their neighbors with street signs advertising in English and Arabic, Hotel. West, a series of shops and storefronts lined the main road; alley mouths hinted at much smaller, more diverse shops within a winding maze of small side streets.

While they had witnessed many tourists, they had not seen anyone that stuck out any more than they did. Jane sighed. "Maybe I'm gettin ahead o myself."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Is you're contact still in the area? I don't expect we'd need an extra head, but if they know the area and any extra specifics then I'd not be against making a new acquaintance," Ruarc gestured idly with his free hand, presenting himself in a casual manner befitting a sightseer wanting the most out of a trip. In the back of his mind, he wondered to himself how his battle-scarred face and hands stacked up against Eryl's gear in terms of standing out. At the very least it hadn't garnered much beyond one or two odd looks from one passerby and from the waiter upon receiving his tea. Noting the slight dejection in his counterpart, he leaned forward and held his cup between his hands.

"You're our tour guide, Jane. Ahead of yourself or not, say the word, and we'll follow your lead. To exciting conclusion, or disappointing polaroid."

He lifted his tea with a tilt and a nod.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"You are such a poet," chimed Eryl, in a soft, genuine way that fell flat when she swung late with his name, "... Ruarc."

She was still getting used to the first-name basis, but the more she said it, the easier it got. Jane would recognize the pattern, besides one harrowing moment in the Elementalia, Eryl struggled with familiarity. It took a couple of visits, before she could call her Jane with ease.

It was evident how aware of this she was as her lips pursed together tightly and her wide eyes drifted to the alleyways.

"The trail is cold," Eryl shifted the subject to the task at hand, "so we will need to seek out fresh signs of their presence. Asking the locals if any new, pale strangers have taken up residence would be swift, but that will increase our chances of becoming known hunters. The tactics for this would be similar to hunting predatory changlings. If they know you are hunter, they will lie low; if they know you are hunting them, they will go to ground or flee entirely."

The triclops began to ponder, staring at her bitter cup, "Luring out sentient predators without exposing yourselves requires a form of bait. I am not entirely a known factor, and I've the look of one of them… The two of you, though…"

Eryl looked between the two of them. "The two of you could pose the appearance of tourists, husband and wife, partners, the like… Then I could play the role of wayward mage trying to find safety in the arms of an extremist group that has evangelized my interest in mind. As I ask around, I can draw eyes from the two of you while you observe or investigate."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Jane shook her head. "Nah, he ain't one t hang round long. He was a treasure hunter er somethin. Paths jus happened t cross long time ago; he was huntin relics, n I was huntin the folks what happened to be huntin him-- fer the relic, o course. Griffin was his name. Never really got to know em."

Then gunslinger turned to Eryl. "Yer right. I am gettin head o m'self. There's a plan n I need to stick to it. Let's get these packed away." She hefted her duffel onto a shoulder and tucked some money under her empty glass for the bill. "Hotel's that way," she said pointing with a naked hand. She felt strange out of her duster, belt, and gloves, but better to look merely Western than dangerous.

Once they were up and moving, Jane began speaking again. "Place like this has more nooks n crannies than hairs on a dog. More n likely they got a quiet little entrance in a tucked away place hidden in plain sight. Back of a store, house in an alley, somethin like that." As they walked, they passed a myriad of faces from all over; most were the predictable tan of the local Egyptians. There were plenty of Asian tourists as well; the rest were distinctly European, with a sprinkling of Americans and Aussies.

So, when a trio of pale-complected individuals dressed like Hollywood-cliche academics, it was hard for people not to look. One was a man of average height, bursting beltline, and drab colors; the other two were slimmer, though one was slightly shorter and mousy whereas the other was noticeably taller and gangly. All three had the look of folks who would rather convers with themselves over a good novel than speak to real people about real things.

It was so stunningly plain, Jane didn't say anything for a few seconds after they had passed. "Did y'all jus see what I saw?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Folk standing out more th'n us? Yeah. What do you make of 'em? I didn't notice any extra eyes, so more of a curiosity than a concern," Ruarc adjusted the golf bag on his shoulder, noting the sound cue confirming his staff was still in its proper spot. Even in his breathable clothing the Egyptian summer heat had him feeling plenty uncomfortable. Truthfully, he was a little perturbed that Jane's contact hadn't had more precise information that they could use. He had some practice door-busting, but had been hoping the recon had already been done. Such was life, and if nothing else it meant the ever interesting prospect of working with Jane, as well as seeing for himself how well Eryl had reformed.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Eryl watched the group of academics trundle along, keeping a mind to only look as long as she needed to. After turning back around, she felt silly suggesting something so extreme. Their quarry was revisiting the area as they had before, and now they had a lead.

"With both in tow? Both? That's just sloppy," commented Eryl dryly, "but it might be a sign of how desperate they are… I would agree with Mister Flynn– Ah– Oum– Mr. Ruarc… Ough! The middle one is a bit fat for a triclops."

The abjurer gripped her chin, "Unless it's a glamor. Mist… Fly–... Ruarc, you've your special Keeper eye, don't you? You saw through my glamor all those years ago, can you tell if they are hiding something?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

Glancing over to Eryl, Ruarc hmmed as she had a point. He wasn't keen on having a headache this early, but it could help nail down a lead. Looking up as though he were trying to gauge the time of day, Ruarc focused on his right eye to activate its magic sight. Using his right hand to feign shading out the sun, but in truth hiding the glowing rune from being seen by others, the Keeper shifted his gaze to look at the trio.