[The Keep] Walking to Skye

Straken

Re: [The Keep] Walking to Skye

Post by Straken »

"Not just any initiate can do these inspections," Brooke looked taken aback. "I am the protégé of the Caspian Ellrich; premier paranormal private investigator. Top o' that, I threw the Chief inta the mix. Far as Tim and Burnsy are concerned, you're associated with important people; which ya are, being apprenticed with Master Flynn 'n' all. The cloak is because its easier to convince Keepers to let other Keepers in, savin' me having to do to much 'splainin' which coulda woulda lead to them figuring I didn' actually have inspection detail."
"That said, the brass prefer to keep the Wellspring within our Circle. So while a Keeper Initiate with enough clout can be allowed on Inspection Detail, the other Circles need to be of certain rank to come in here. An' as for why you're just now learning 'bout it, it's 'cause ya been here a day. Chief Engleby teaches about it in the first year course work. Beyond tha' pretty sure the Thirds have done testing, 'n' iffen you's wanted ta do some to, I s'pose ya'd need ta make a request to the Council."

As Brooke spoke, Drysi could feel a sensation similar to a mother comfortingly rubbing a child's back when they're nauseous.

"Now, as for the first question, we inspect to make sure the room isn't warping. Asing ya can see, the room 'round us is stone. This Wellspring issa vent ta the leyline's lava tubes. A lot of magical energy is in this room. It, combined with the common practice of natural magic in the area, can make the walls, floors, and ceiling warp; like, uh... like plastic when its exposed to heat. That 'n' occasionally odd things like flowers or trees sprouting out of solid stone. Water springs starting ta flow from a sudden crack. That kinda thing."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Drysi missed part of what Brooke had said as she felt comfort wash over her again. The conflicting feelings in her head were both intoxicating and relaxing all at the same time. Slowly, but surely, she was starting to feel a bit more attuned to the surroundings, and she could manage better focus when she wasn’t staring directly into the Wellspring. It wasn’t like when she began to experience her sight for the first time, there was an almost motherly aura to the place.

At the very least, puking twice in a couple of days would have been very unattractive, she was glad the power of the druids could support her in that.

“I felt like I was standing in my forest when I walked in,” revealed Drysi, gently releasing her nose to test her nostrils for blood. She sniffed a couple of times, “Is it just some primal energy? Is it conscious? It must be at least cognizant of us.”

”You can’t be so quick to offer solutions,” recommended Gideon.

“Did you not feel anything,” asked Drysi aloud to her snake.

”I feel fine, as long as I am with you,” he admitted.

“Aww, Gid,” swooned Drysi, holding her hands to her chest, “oh, that doesn’t help me at all. Back to my question; Is it sentient? Is it fae? I’m not gunna’ see some beautiful woman come walkin’ out the bushes to hound the people in my life?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Just theories, best o' my knowledge," responded Brooke as she returned to staring down the Well. "From what I do 'member from Engleby's class I can say it ain't fey. Said it was similar being primal forces 'n' all, but the fey and their powers come from a separate plane from ours. Sentient... I don't think so? Cognizant... maybe. It might jus' be that each o'us feels it diff'rent rather than it responding diff'rent. Also depends on who ya talk to. Chief Engleby's claimed to have spoken with the Well, while Chief Brennan says the Well feels like any other room in the Keep."

The young Keeper began to walk around the Well, if nothing else doing at least a cursory inspections to keep from outright being a liar.

"Think there were a couple books in the Library about the Well, if you're looking for more. Black Staff might have a few more nuggets of wisdom too."

The girl had gotten about a third of the way around when she stopped.

"Aha! This is an example," Brooke gestured to draw Drysi's attention. Sprouting from the solid stone was a small, delicate looking flower that appeared to be made out of quartz.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The presence of a stone flower was more than enough reason for a push-glasses-up-the-nose moment. In fact, it was probably the fiercest Drysi had ever pushed the bridge of her glasses up her nose. A magical force imposing nature on its surroundings, no matter what, like it was trying to spread. This was some serious magic.

“This!” Drysi exclaimed, before leaning in closer, “This… I don’t know what this means. If the wellspring exists here, why is it trying to grow images of nature inside the cave?”

The acolyte held her chin possessively, as if her head would spin off the neck in thought. “I bet the Maestro would know more. I could ask her.”

”You should probably ask her at another time,” recommended Gideon, his calm demeanor contrasting with Drysi's excitement.

“Later,” continued Drysi, adopting the suggestion as if it were her own, “wouldn’t want her suspectin’ nothin’.”

Then, staring down at the little glass flower, she wondered aloud, “What do you do with the wee flower, now that it’s here?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

"We catalog the occurrence, and then determine the best course of action for dealing with the event," answered the American as she knelt by the flower. "Which, I fancy as being this."

Carefully, Brooke reached out, pinched the flower at its base, and snapped the stem. Standing up she inspected the gem flower in better light before holding it out for Drysi.

"Call it a souvenir," she said as she began to jot stuff down on the clipboard. "As for why it does stuff here inside a cave, I'd venture a guess tha' its pure happenstance. Story of the Keep's founding says that Kynryk Falk, First of the Keepers and Founder of Carneath, discovered the Wellspring here in the days leading up to an invasion back around the year seven-hundred. The details of the invasion are squicky, Ol' Falk wasn't the best notetaker; somethin' I can relate to. But yeah, this invasion from who he called Those Who Dwell. He had a farmstead in the area wherein he had passin' dealings with the Druids, who were still recovering from Rome givin' them the boot heel. Notes say he saw a number of strangers roaming the Southern reaches of Skye that didn't seem entirely human. Beasties were poking around in dark corners, some attempted to talk to the local thorpes but spoke a bizarre language, and eventually started showing up in greater numbers to do cruel things."

"Falk approached the Druids, but given circumstance they decided to stay isolated; notes say they referenced early rumors of Scandia Vikings as the cause. Well, Falk wasn't having it, and ended up organizing a militia of other farmers and part-time conscripts from nearby clans. After observation, Falk found the strangers beginning to tighten to the area around these mountains. While doing his own investigation, he ended up falling into a small crevasse, and found the Wellspring."

Brooke finished her notes, and began to walk with a pep in her step further around the Well before continuing her tale.

"This bit o' 'is notes were pretty detailed actually. Talked 'bout falling into another world, with shit like flowers that shimmered like fire, or an adolescent rowan tree that looked perfectly healthy despite no sunlight. Figuring this ta be what the strangers were looking for, he coordinated with the militia before once again contacting the Druids, but still no Druid came to help Falk. Time was short as one of the enemy scouts had seen Falk in the mountains, and the invasion proper loomed in the near future. With the militia's help, Falk was able to construct some manner of defensive line around the fissure that led to the Wellspring. The day came, and the notes say the day was unnaturally dark as Those Who Dwell rose from the Loch. Then! At the eleventh hour a single druid appeared upon the hillside! And..! I'm... rambling about Keeper history when you asked about the Well..."

Once again coming to a stand still, Brooke leaned against the edge and smiled down into the Well. A glint of excitement shown in her eyes as a slight smile sat on her lips. Her off hand appreciatively patting the railing.

"Punch line, Falk and his militia won the day against an enemy the notes call inhuman, and Falk was made an honorary Druid along with being given the title Keeper of the Wellspring; now just shortened to Keeper for the Circle that was founded to emulate him. The defenses around the Well gradually grew over the years, but the Keep wouldn't be finished until well after Falk's death. Falk did however move his farmstead to here in the Valley, just in front of the gate to the defenses. Which is a tradition we've kept going with... I'm rambling again. Sorry. Ahem. Nerds say the Wellspring is a very rare leyline vent that releases large amounts of natural magic to the area around the opening. Yada yada, that flower is essentially magical precipitation."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

A flower? Drysi had never gotten flowers before, much less a single flower. Her chest fluttered as she cupped the fine, mineral sculpture in her hands. Despite how much Brooke cared about the subject of the First Keeper, the Triclops struggled to take her eyes off her new gift. There was a glitter in her jewel-colored eyes that only reflected and magnified on the facets of the quartz petals.

Then, as Brooke got into the part of Those Who Dwell, Drysi began to tune back in. Initially, she had pegged the Keeper initiate as a meat-head, a bit like Willow. Yet, she found herself impressed with Brooke’s level of recollection of historical events, perhaps even respecting her intelligence.

Drysi took a breath.

Calm down, Drysi, it’s just a wee flower. A pretty wee flower.

She tried to listen to the story, but these sorts of things never held her attention enough. So she drifted back to her prior thoughts, and began to waft in and out of blushing until Brooke neared the end of her story. By this point, Drysi wasn’t even sure what she was listening to, and was about to blurt out something ridiculous when the Keeper capped her story off with a pithy remark on the parts Drysi would have liked to hear more about.

The triclops, having gone on an emotional rollercoaster on the coat-tails of Kynryk and Brooke, sighed in relief, ”Fookin’ Mercy, she’s an idiot.”

Then her blood ran cold, ”Fookin’ hell, I love idiots.”

Gideon wasn’t sure what he was dealing with. His druid’s thoughts and emotions were familiar to him, even when they swung in wild directions. This most recent swing was getting hard to read. She either really enjoyed or really hated that story.

“That was really good,” nodded Drysi, more rapidly than she needed to, “Got all that. Definitely. Is it a little stuffy in here? Must be the precipitation. Startin’ to sweat.”

She wiped her brow, realizing that she was actually sweating, “Fookin’ shiet, I’m already gross.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

Watching the triclops to gauge her reaction to the story of Falk and the founding of Carneath, Brooke seemed a little disheartened by the expressions Drysi was making. Pursing her lips, the older teen turned woodenly and began to finish cursory inspections accompanied by quick scrawls on the clipboard.

“Sarry ‘bout ramblin’ on. One of the few bits’a the lessons I’ctually got inta, so I tends’ta talk ‘bout that kindsa stuff to much,” Brooke clipped the pen to the board before tucking it under her arm. “We can head out now. Get’cha some fresh aer.”

From the Well, Drysi could feel a gentle breeze that felt wonderfully refreshing; helping her cool down. Brooke had lead the way back to the other side of the Well to signal the doors to open.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

”FOOKIN’ HELL AH’VE MADE IT WEIRD!” screamed Drysi in her head as she watched Brooke turn to go. The triclops slapped her hand on her face, taking care of her flower with the other. She spun a couple of times, trying to think of something to say, and pulling at her hair.

”Drysi,” started Gideon, trying to hold on for dear life, ”can you explain to me what’s going on? I think I’ve lost the thread.”

”Brooke thinks I’m a fookin’ slag,” chittered the triclops, ”She gave me the flower and I got all bothered, and I’m turnin’ into the worst kinda person, and I–...”

”--... missed out on something that she seems to care about a lot.”

The apprentice stopped mid-turn, her eyes widening to the wisdom of a snake who refused to be taken in by her volatile emoting.

“Brooke!” uttered Drysi finally, taking a breath for the first time in a few minutes. Thankfully, the AC had kicked on in the past few seconds, and it made it easy for the triclops to speak, “I think it’s cool.”

It didn’t take long for Drysi to realize that sounded disingenuous, “I didn’t know that this place had such a meanin’ to the Keepers, nor such a deep history. I just really liked this wee flower ya gave me, ‘cause I don’t get little gifts like this very often. It’s really special to me. You’re really speci–...”

”Cool.”

“--cool,” continued the triclops, turning redder by the minute, were it not for the soothing breeze, she would have fainted.

”Don’t get carried away.”

The triclops gently came to the same realization her familiar was, “I love this wee little flower. Thank you, Brooke. Thank you for showing me somethin’ special, somethin’ special to you.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Pfft.”

Brooke broke into a hearty belly laugh.

“Already know I’m cool. Just look’t me,” Brooke shot a couple finger guns from the hip as she posed. “B’yond tha’… nothing t’ worry about. Most o’ the Circles have some interesting founding story, I’d ‘magine. But, same time, yeah, this place’s pretty effin’ dope, yeah? Should ask the Blackstaff ‘bout it sometime. I’m curious what he feels when he’s in here.”

The tall New Yorker spun the clipboard on an outstretched finger as they neared the door.

“Thoughts on the rest’o y’r day? Ya looked for me f’r a reason, so I’m good for hanging out ‘less ya got somewhere else’n y’r keen on hitting up. Oh! We can play some games in the lounge, then later t’night Mr. Roan is doing his weekly bonfire iffen ya want ta go ta tha’. Master Flynn’s pro’lly heading that way ‘imself, I’d imagine.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Drysi sighed with visible, audible relief as Brooke went back to her old self. Deep down she felt the need to check the need to be too real with people. She just met Brooke and she had already shipped her with three different people in the last twenty-four hours. Her brain was getting out of hand.

“I’d heard about the bonfire from Vincent,” mentioned the triclops.

”Desdemona.”

”Same difference.”

Even so, there was still a nagging feeling in the back of her mind. She didn’t want to leave this place just yet. It had put her back into her forest in a way that was cathartic, instead of upsetting. During the walk to her initiation, she could have sworn she could still hear the whispers.

“You know,” Drysi started, closing her eyes, hoping for another glimpse. The sensation was the same: warm, gentle and almost fragrant, “I hadn’t thought about it.”

It was like this place was trying to give her a hug.

“But… Games sound fun; Willow plays D&D, but I don’t have the patience for it,” she explained, opening her eyes, “I just end up drawing our characters. Oh! But I should check on m’Master. Do we get a signal in here? I just want to send him a text.”

Drysi tugged out her phone from her bag and prepped a message. At first, she gingerly typed, before swiftly losing confidence.
Master! Are you okay? I felt really bad I got you in trouble. Are you in trouble? Am I in trouble? Please tell me you’re okay.