[The Forest] The Path Less Traveled By

Straken

Re: [The Forest] The Path Less Traveled By

Post by Straken »

“Ha ha, it is good to see such interest from the new generation of druids,” Engleby appeared amused as he watched Drysi parse out all of the opportunities that now lay before her. “I will always recommend new druids make a trip to the Keep. It’s proper name is the Carneath Keep, and it has served as the holdfast for our Order since the Reformation and creation of our current Council system back in 1323 B.C. It’s a lovely building, and an even lovelier area. It is the seat of the Ard Rhys, and a handful of Circle leaders; but not all of them, for we would not wish for attackers to be capable of decapitating the entire Order in one swoop. You’ll be able to find Chief Valentina Mastrogiacomo there along with the main lab and workshop for the Third Circle; Chief Rose-Marie Bombelles of the Second Circle keeps her office there; and Chief Mealla Brennan and the Keepers operate from out of Carneath as our primary security. The Main Library of my First Circle is located in the Keep, but I have an office elsewhere.”

“As for what you can expect from meeting with Mastrogiacomo… hmm. Well, she is a tish eccentric, but well meaning. She practically lives out of her lab, always has something that she’s working on, but she rarely turns down requests for her time. Bring the same enthusiasm you’re showing now and you should be fine. And, please, by all means, bring Master Flynn with you.”

Engleby turned to smile at Ruarc who had been paying attention to the conversation.

“Ruarc is one of the more insular druids, and only ever visits the Keep to provide his annual report.”

“Indeed,” Ruarc chimed in with a rather glum tone. “If you’d like, Drysi, I will take you to the Keep.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Drysi pumped her fists up and down, leaving Gideon to hold on for his life.

"Yes!"

Then, catching a calming sensation from her distressed snake, she crossed her arms, trying not to beam her approval.

"I'd not have it any other way, how else would they know I'm your apprentice?" chimed Drysi, with that same, unadultered pride. A large amount of undue confidence began to grow in her. "We've our own eccentric folk here in Safeholme who like to live outta' labs. Mr. Caxton's a proper bat, and I've talked to him plenty of times."

"Drysi, why did that feel fabricated?"

That confidence was suddenly checked by her guide.

"Ai've only ever spoken to him once, but it wasnt hard!"

Gideon's glassy eyes sparkled under Drysi's golden hood.

"You've nothing to prove to Mr. Engleby and you master doesn't look like he is--"

"How soon can we go?" Drysi cut him off, looking expectantly at Ruarc. "Do you think she'd be interested in my paper runes? Should I bringa' CV? Perhaps I ought'r get references from other lab bats..."
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Pen a request, and I’ll make sure it gets to the top of her paperwork,” Engleby responded.

“Let’s plan for two weeks from now, shall we?” Ruarc offered. “We won't suddenly be dropping in, gives you time to prepare for the trip, and gives me time to get some of my own business squared.”

“Oooh, exciting stuff, even I haven’t seen the new Keep,” Caoranach’s voice came from somewhere near the water’s edge. “I’ve heard it is lovely this time of year.”

“Care to go?” Ruarc asked.

“Heavens no,” Caoranach sounded final. Ruarc shrugged.

“I trust you two will be using more reasonable methods of travel, right?” Laoise chimed in. “Drysi, the first time Ruarc and I made the trip between there and here we walked. Thankfully he’s been working on his magical transportation methods.”

“And can afford plane tickets now,” Caoranach added.

“Thank you for the extra commentary,” Ruarc grumbled. “So yeah, plan for two weeks, and square away anything you may want to bring with you.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Drysi's eyes glittered against the starlight, her whole body seizing up with the idea that she'd be traveling overseas again. Not just that, she'd be doing it in an official capacity, meeting the person that would be her boss. He father had told her that being an apprentice would require a lot of self-awareness and hard work, but the attachment to a master meant attachment to their network. Ruarc would be introducing her to probably more than just Mastrogiacomo, but to the others in the world he knew.

She began touching her face, apparently testing to see if this was real. It felt like an anime, or a storybook and she was the main character.

"Drysi, you're giggling."

Then, everything stopped, as the smooth scales of Gideon slid over her skin, going from one side of her neck to the other. It was like a soothing balm, a small shock that upset the chain reactions in her emotions.

"So I was."

Instead of spinning into something else, her mind felt reset, tranquil and strangely at ease, and she smiled.