[The Office] An Unwanted Gift

Kokuten

Re: [The Office] An Unwanted Gift

Post by Kokuten »

Ruarc felt Percival's hand on his shoulder, a protective grip seizing him, but it eased as the small owl traded glances between the two men.

”Maeve. Maeve McSorley, at your service, sir. You musn’ remember me. I only saw you in passing at the Keep. You’d slip into the library sometimes to speak to old Engleby and I–… I feel like I’ve been asleep for a long time… and you… You’re… older than I remember you.” the owls glowing eyes blinked, and she raised a talon to look at them, ”and I seem to be… I am a… a…”

The owl spread her still-young wings, and inspected them, ”... I suppose… I suppose this was Ciarán’s influence. I… I died, but he dinnae’... And I’m here… Like this…”

A familiar sensation began to push into Ruarc’s mind, that of a familiar’s emotion. Maeve was beginning to feel forlorn, as the full weight of it began to sink in. Even past the unprecedented nature of the event, she had just awoken from her own death. ”Are we still… Is this the Library?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“How in the world is this possible? What’s the last thing…” Ruarc started to ask. He had been so intently focused on interrogation mode that he almost slipped back into it, but if somehow this was Maeve then he’d want to use a bit more tact.

“I am no friend of the Library, Maeve,” Ruarc’s voice was straightforward, but it softened as he continued speaking. “You are at Safeholme; a school for young mages that I helped start in Japan. You are safe here.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Safeholme? Isn't that... Yes... that's the school you started."

Maeve sounded more at ease with Ruarc's assurance, and she took to being a bit more brave with her surroundings. With a couple of pensive steps, she worked her way back up towards his neck. Then, she pressed a talon to a spot close to his artery.

"How did... I... something like this..."

Fizt! With another flash, she ran back through Ruarc. He could feel her somewhere inside, not physically, but within the well of his magic. She lingered for a second and then, with another flash, emerged onto the desk again, stepping over Tabitha’s file. There was a bit of a stumble to her stride, but she eventually managed to right herself.

“Is this… Laoise? No,” Percival commented, clearly trying to assense what was happening. “Laoise is somewhere else… It’s not using spells to teleport. Fascinating.”

While the Alchemist tried to make sense of what was going on, Maeve stared at the doorway leading out to what could only be the Elementalia. ”I can feel you, like I could feel Ciarán.”

The owl’s head turned to look at him, but despite seeing her ethereal eyes, he could feel a more human presence underneath.

”I suppose I should be more upset, but something in me says that I should be grateful for being alive in some way. Ciarán held on to me, somehow, and then must have tried to bond with you. And… instead of him, you got me.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“I can’t even begin to imagine the processes that went into making this possible,” Ruarc mumbled as he leaned close to the desk to inspect Maeve. “Could a familiar really hold on to its host’s consciousness like that? Perhaps it could be a rationalization for why a Guide perishes in time with their druid. This is amazing. Have we been joined as though you are a familiar?”

Ruarc looked over to Percy.

“Percy, meet Maeve McSoreley. A druid who had the unfortunate circumstance of being tied into the Library. My next few weeks just became a lot more complicated.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

”I cn’ feel how taken you are, so I think it is so,” said Maeve, straightening herself. Although she had the mind of someone in their younger twenties, her body was still that of a baby owl. ”I dinnae know how it’s possible, the histories don’t account for it, but then again, I feel a bit peely-wally still. Once I get my bearin’s, I could– Well I dinnae’ ken.”

At Ruarc’s introduction, she swiveled her head to look at Percival, taking him in for the first time.

”At yer service, sir,” the owl awkwardly tried to bow, but realized that the motion wasn’t exactly one for one. ”Ack, ye probably dinnae’ hear me.”

Percival slowly came to a knee as he leveled himself with the desk to look at the owl, himself awed by the implication of the few details he had been given. His hand smoothed over the edge of the stained wood grain and he began to narrow his green eyes.

“Suddenly all of those myths come into place, for some reason. Family members coming back as animals,” the Alchemist thought aloud, “What if it were bonds like this? You can kill the familiar, but you cannot kill the druid, but what if you preserve the familiar when the druid dies… That means a tie… A still existing contract for a loose spirit.”

Maeve sank her head into her shoulders a bit, not sure what to make of the man. Ruarc could tell she was nervous at his focused stare. Then, Percival stood again.

“Oh, sorry, my manners. Percival Bredon Caxton. Sorry for your association, it’s not counting for much these days,” the Alchemist introduced himself, before clapping Ruarc on the shoulder. “Rook. Do you still feel Laoise?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

Even amid his inebriation, Ruarc immediately understood the urgency in Percy’s question.

”Laoise! Laoise, respond!” Ruarc focused on his connection to Laoise to see if she could still hear him, or even if she was still connected to him.

”Would you shut up! You made me mess up! What is it?” Laoise’s harsh answer made Ruarc visibly wince.

”Just… uh… wanted to check in?”

”Idiot.”

“Yup, Laoise’s still connected. And my head just got that much more crowded.”

Settling back, Ruarc pondered the situation he was currently faced with. On the one hand, he now had a murder investigation on his hands that tied in with his digging into the Library; on another hand, one of those murder victims was now currently in the body of a magic owl on his desk and linked into his brain. Sliding a hand onto his notebook, the Keeper gripped it reassuringly. He had more of a lead than he had had before, an idea where to dig, who to investigate, and the somewhat stymied relief that Maeve was alright.

“I s’pose the next matter is, Maeve, what do you want to do? Your appearance, and conditional connection to me aside, you are a person. I’ll respect whatever you decide to do.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The way the owl stared back up at Ruarc showed she hadn't considered it. A human coming back from the dead after so long would have many things to sort out after returning to consciousness. She toddled to one side of the desk, and then to another contemplating what she would want.

"I... I'd like to see my sister again," Maeve snapped her head back at him, before going back to pacing, "... no... She'd never recognize me. She'd think you were looney for professing anything like this was true."

Then she stopped, "Most of all, I'd like answers. Am I to be bound like this forever? Is there any way to break it? Is this the only way for me to live? Ach. I bet old Engleby would have an inclination, the old gaffer's read every book in the library."

Pensively, she flapped her wings, and began to pick at them with her beak in a way he'd recognize.

"Truly? I think I'd like to settle for a bit, iffn' you please. I think this all startin' to sink in."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Certainly," Ruarc's voice croaked slightly, the emotional whiplash and the whisky taking its toll. There was a lot that needed to be done, and his mind was working through the mire of inebriation to get everything straightened out and ordered. Of course he would be setting Maeve up to be as comfortable as possible. Perhaps it was the vision he had just experienced, or the fact that the woman was now one of his familiars, but he felt compelled to offer his assistance. That would entail food and shelter, a matter that would be easy enough to swing. Finding information was also a priority once she had time to adjust. He had already planned on making a trip to Carneath, and this provided further motivation.

"Hey Laoise, you still have that amulet that let you take human form?" Ruarc asked, suddenly wondering if Maeve could hear him talking to his other familiar.

"Huh? Where's this coming from? I've got it in my jewelry box, why?" Laoise responded.

"Kind of a long story, and not entirely sure how to describe it, but you have a... partner?... now."

Ruarc felt Laoise's response more than anything. A sudden wave of pure confusion.

"Why do you always spring this stuff on me when I'm in the middle of practice? Are you alright? Need me to come home? And partner? How do you mean?"

"No, no. Physically I'm fine, just been a hectic afternoon. I'll give you the details when you get back later, but I... adopted?... a new familiar, I think?"

"Why can't we just be normal druids for a week?"

Turning his attention back to the room.

"Well, if it helps at all, I actually have a way you might be able to go back to your human form, Maeve."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Ach, bless, that's a relief. You seem to be full of answers, Ruarc. Now that you mention it, I've been knackered at the idea of being an owl," Maeve nodded her head gratefully, causing her to stumble a bit, "it's gi'en me the boak."

At this mention of relief, and unwittingly, Percival raised a staying hand to the idea.

"The necklace, Rook? Are you sure about that?" cautioned the Alchemist, "if she really is a human in this form, do you think the necklace will work as intended? What if her human form's changed as much? That might be a lot to take in."

This train of thought evidently upset Maeve, who was just settling into her sense of relief.

"I–... Why would he say something like that?" the owl's feathers ruffled, as she exchanged looks between Ruarc and Percival. "Doesn't he know I can hear'm?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

“You get used to it after a time. He means well, but isn’t the best at talking to people,” Ruarc offered before setting his attention back to Percy.

“Then we remove the necklace and work from there. One way or another she has a lot to take in, so I’m simply figuring this might offer her the closest sense of normalcy. Besides, a human form stands out the least. If she has her prior appearance then we can call her a new interim staff member, and if she has a more youthful appearance to match that of the familiar form; then it is lucky that we find ourselves at a school for magical youths.”

Leaning back in his chair, Ruarc pinched between his eyes as he thought.

“As it happens I already have a couple of theories, as well as an avenue for getting more information. Shades, I’m tired, and yet there is still so much left to do.”