[The Office] An Unwanted Gift

Kokuten

Re: [The Office] An Unwanted Gift

Post by Kokuten »

Fascination quickly burnt up into fear when Caoranach came around to Maeve. While the fae princess did her inspection, the druid was as stiff as a shocked doe. Her eyes kept whipping to Ruarc for guidance, not wanting to invite any classical fae wrath with any sudden movements.

The recanting of her plight gave her some reprieve to adjust. To Maeve's credit, she was making an admirable effort to adjust, and was trying to internalize the normalcy happening before her. This was what it was like to happen upon the footfalls of giants. A meeting like this would be the reason for a new account in the records. A whole group of scholars, assembled for this purpose, would quibble and argue on how it should be represented in the lore. They'd probably have Engleby himself do the editing, just to be safe.

But for Safeholme? This was a lazy Friday. It was such an adjustment, Maeve almost missed the advice passed on to her.

"Ah'll need tae think on a consistent narr'tive," said Maeve, who, after asking permission to access the fridge, went to see if she could grab something to nibble on, "who else knows about… Er… Caoranach? Does that Percy lad know?"

Maeve spoke over her shoulder, turning to the refrigerator, tugging the door open and recoiling with a scream.

"Do I know what?"

The one armed man, who had bewildered Maeve before, emerged from the fridge as if he were stepping out from a shed. Percival turned to close the door behind him, before opening it again to retrieve a small cake, which he placed in Maeve's hands. He then gave a look about the room, first at McSorley, then Caoranach, and then finally Ruarc.

"I came to check in," said Percival, fishing through a small bag slung across his arm, "and drop off some tea. Ah, Carrie, Ruarc isn't taking care of himself. Could you be a dear and twist his arm? He seems to listen to you."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc sighed while Carrie laughed lightly as Maeve got startled by Percy. This was quickly becoming a bad habit for the Welshman, or rather Laoise had posited that it was actually Percival demonstrating a bit of humor and levity. As such Ruarc let it be, but in cases like this he wished for a bit more foresight; after all, the degree of fright Maeve had felt was strong enough for him to feel an echo of, and oof his head was not in the mood for that.

“Percy, couldn’t you have just used the front door? It works just as well as any other portal,” Ruarc asked as he looked across the kitchen.

“Nonsense, I quite enjoyed that one. In fact…” Carrie began to retort, and with a wave of her hand started an auditory illusion to the tune of a Live Studio Audience cheering as Percy straightened himself. Ruarc gave her a dry look which Carrie gave a vulpine grin in response, causing Ruarc to relent and smile a bit as well. Returning to the matter at hand, the fey took a couple steps to put herself in front of her significant other. Percy would see the two looking positively domestic as Carrie chastised Ruarc for neglecting his wellbeing; a move that simultaneously demonstrated Carrie listening to Percy. Meanwhile Maeve would see a primordial fey that had for a time been a looming threat that was on the lips of most all Keepers and Sages alike, an entity shrouded in lore and mystery, who’s escape method was still being investigated and hypothesized to this day; scolding the man who had been tasked with eliminating her threat about whether he was taking breaks and if he had taken the vitamins she had bought for him. To say nothing of the rather mammoth sized pup that had taken up the role of making sure his master’s feet were warm; all while panting happily between the two homeowners.

Around the point where Carrie was insisting Ruarc take a bath while she prepared some food, a knock came at the fridge door. Unable to resist, Carrie returned momentarily to her usual self and sauntered over. Opening it with a flourish, she made room for Laoise to step out. The familiar had taken a single step out and immediately froze. One, she had just stepped out of the fridge; two, there was a completely bizarre looking woman in the kitchen who was wearing her clothing; three, she had been greeted by cheering.

“Caoranach…” Laoise’s tone was disparaging, and figured the fey was behind two of her three confusions; she knew who to blame for the first. Her words queued laughter from the audience, causing her to level a bland look at the other woman; the audience died away. Laoise looked as though she had just finished with a cardio workout, judging by her tracksuit, light sheen of sweat, and her long platinum hair was tied back in a ponytail. Scanning the room for a moment, she finally spoke.

“Felt Percy around campus a couple times, and after the odd communications I got from Ruarc I figured I’d make sure everything was alright…” Laoise said as she closed the fridge behind her. Now with her bearings, her eyes settling on inspecting Maeve, the intruder who had not only come into her home, but had helped herself to her wardrobe as well.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

A distinct feeling of mental dissonance began to play in Maeve’s mind, Ruarc could feel it coming over the shoulder of Caoranach, just like how he could feel the plumage ruffling in Laoise’s human form over Percy’s. Hand-pie at the ready, the former druid meekly bit into her treat, slowly chewing as if there was nothing she could contribute to the conversation. In reality, she was trying to piece together, as quickly as possible, some sense of sanity in a world gone mad. People were coming out of fridges, the woodcutter was in bed with the wolf, and there was an ambiance of studio laughter that began to make it feel like this was all some sort of long, bad dream. She wasn’t sure what to do in the face of all of this, especially with Laoise bearing down on her now.

So she took another bite, slowly melting away a growing sensation of hunger that was haunting the back of her mind.

“You look a little disheveled… Maeve? You are the owl, yes?”

With a mouthful of pie, Maeve was satisfied to just nod at the one-armed gentleman who chose to regard her over his shoulder.

“Very well, good. Context clues. Your form, very curious. Yes,” Percival turned, patting his bag and giving her an inspecting stare. Maeve braced for another bite of pie to help bolster against the shock of even more ridiculousness in this weird, dreamland house. “I had a few theories, but it looks like you’re not in the mood for them anymore, perhaps not in the first place.”

“Ah would say not, sir,” answered Maeve dutifully, with a clear mouth, “I’m a little more up and about this snowy-haired lass that came out of the fridge with you.”

“Laoise? Why, considering your situation, Laoise is your new sister,” explained Percival, before turning to the dove, “She is also bound to me due to certain circumstances, which would be why she happened to chase me through the fridge in an effort to satisfy her curiosity. She is Ruarc’s familiar, as well as mine, to an extent, it seems.”

“That dinnae sound plausible,” the Scottish woman had been able to accept a lot of things, but one familiar to two masters? That was where she drew the line. Percival didn’t seem to mind, he had already gone to warm the kettle on the stove, letting the two become acquainted. “I’m Maeve McSorely, by the by. I’m guessin’ that means these are all your clothes then, they’re a bit tight on me, but I appreciate it all the same. My soul was jus’ plucked out from the dead an’ put in tae’ body of an owl. Still adjustin’ to whatever any a’ this is, but painful hungry, which is why I’m scarfin’ this here pie all unladylike.”

Percival went to warm the kettle and get his tea ready, while Maeve took another bite of pie.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Laoise squinted at Maeve. Her foot began tapping, her arms crossed, and the left side of her mouth tensed.

“Laoise…” Ruarc began, recognizing signs of his familiar’s agitation.

“Zip it,” Laoise responded, her voice was terse. The white haired woman strode over to the table and rather aggressively sat down across from Maeve. Leaning forward, Laoise locked eyes with Maeve. Ruarc was just about to speak when he received a glare filled with daggers. The Irishman quieted down, and the Irishwoman returned to looking at the Scot.

“Hey, I guess?” Laoise’s voice sounded in Maeve’s head; the closed channel just for familiars, plus it allowed Maeve to continue eating. “It’s a bit of a parade around these parts. I’d say you get used to it, but you don’t. I got killed in action in a pocket dimension, and was revived by its patron; thus giving me a connection to the dweeb making tea. Ruarc means well, but outside of life and death situations he has a hard time putting his foot down. Which is how Caoranach worked her way into the equation. Myself, I can be a bitch, but so long as you don’t try to cause trouble we should have no problems.”

Back off to the side, Ruarc leaned against the counter and both he and Caoranach watched as the two familiars stared at each other.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Maeve tried to smile as best she could. Somehow context made all of this even harder to grasp; every answer prompted twice as many questions. She had assumed Laoise was another familiar, but something else entirely now? A secret hope burned in her heart that something would start making sense by the time she finished her pie, but it was all for naught.

"Back from the dead, ey? Me too." answered the strix-woman in a short sort of way that only seemed to bring back the enormity of everything in a terrible way. Her chest filled with unchecked emotion, her eyes with unexpected tears, punctuated by a strained, "We– We've a lot in common don'we?"

Clink.

A steamy cup of tea had appeared in front of the newcomer. There hadn’t been time for the tea to steep very long, but there was enough of an aroma to comfort her. The Alchemist went back to the teapot, directing a silent, concerned glance at Laoise.

"Thank ye," sniffed Maeve, taking the cup.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Percy's look of concern was responded to with a look of mild irritation and annoyance from Laoise; a subconscious inkling suggesting it still had to do with the fridge, as well as some indignation for having not received a cup of her own tea. Relaxing back in her seat, the familiar focused her attention back on Maeve. This was a rough situation to just suddenly be dropped into, even leaving death and reincarnation off the table. So Laoise gave the other woman a chance to take some calming breaths.

"Sisters," Laoise said to Maeve, her posture disinterested. "When you feel a bit more comfortable we'll go shopping for some clothes more your size."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"I certainly dinnae want t'be a bother to ye," answered Maeve, sheepishly, "I'd love that. Ye're quite the trim lass, if ye don' mind me sayin'. It's been diggin' in me sides, but I think it's growin on me."

Clink

As if on cue, Laoise found a cup of tea set in front of her. The concern on Percival's face was more one of approbation, looking between the two of them. Maeve hadn't paid attention to the aroma, but it was not a normal leaf. The marks of stress on her face began to fade, and the colors in her half-feathered hair became more vivid and lustrous. The slightly acrid, tannin-heavy smell would point to it being gold tea, a product of steeping the leaves of the Valin tree.

"Ye know, I'm feelin' quite good, actually. I bet I could make this look work out and about, couldnae'? Two birds, one set of clothes? Eh?"

Marve giggled, pleased with herself, and apparently free of any physical ailments bothering her before her tea.
Straken

Post by Straken »

”It’s no bother at all,” Laoise responded as she picked up her own cup of tea so that she could enjoy the aroma. No move was made to acknowledge Percy further. “I’ve just never been terribly keen on sharing, so it’s in both of our interests to get you your own wardrobe.”

“Well, I’m going to leave you too it, Laoise,” Ruarc said as he made his way over to the table. He patted Laoise on the shoulder, and the white haired woman didn’t move to shoo him away. “Mind setting her up with a spot to sleep as well?”

“Going to sleep off the whiskey?” Laoise asked out loud. Ruarc simply laughed with a mildly embarrassed smile, to which Laoise waved him away.

“I better be off as well,” Caoranach added. Curious looks her way showed that at some point she had swapped her outfit from her napping loungewear to publicly appropriate streetwear.

”As far as sleeping arrangements go, you can share my room for the time being,” Laoise said to Maeve. She had a wistful look as she turned her head to look at the inside wall with the fireplace, which was shared with her bedroom on the other side. ”You can either sleep in the bed, or if you are bashful we can find you a cot and sleeping bag. It seems this old cottage is finally becoming too small.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Noot bashful at all," was Maeve's response, feeling more at ease with Laoise. The room had thinned out and the pressure seemed to go with it, "If you dinnae mind me, I dinnae mind ye. Ruarc gae’ me a general idea of what would bae go’on in the future, so I may naht’ ee’n stay in your business for tae’ long. Although, I’m bonded tae’ the man, so I cannae see me bein’ willful on goin’ tae’ far. It’s a feelin’ I been tryin’ to come to terms with, but somethin’ in me is makin’ be so. The only thing that makes it strange is that mae human side knows this is not natural.”

Maeve had been looking rather deeply into her tea, and then rose her head to look at Laoise. “Ach. That one-armed lad’s gone.”

The kettle still steamed on the stove, but Percival was not there to attend it, his bag of goodies still sat on the counter unspoiled. Where the Alchemist had gone, no sound had hinted to where or how, the fridge was pulled tightly shut. Laoise could feel his presence though; lingering somewhere deep in the Wilderwood, coincidentally in the of the old troll’s mound, where his lab hid.

”Bein’ familiars, I suppose we take care of the mundane duties? Bein’ human formed with fingers and thumbs and all. Ahm’ willin’ to do the household things, if you don’ mind my readin’ time inbetween. Ahm not one fer strollin’ out an’ about too much.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Yes, Percy tends to do that. But, good news. You’ll likely have plenty of free time,” Laoise spoke aloud, as a somewhat perplexed look crossed her face for a moment before she remembered the situation. “Chores are mostly split, but as the saying goes; many hands make light work. Ruarc likely wouldn’t be willing to saddle you with tasks, at least for a while. His apprentice and her friends have standing rules to keep the spaces they use tidy. Caoranach only makes a mess out of spite. Beyond that, any chores still not handled… well, I’ll just say they are out-sourced. Quite inexpensive. Saves the school quite a bit of money.”

Languidly she sipped her tea, not responding to Percy’s disappearance.

“Ruarc insists on tending the grounds. I myself help with administration when I’m not busy with my own day to day goings on, and keep my own room tidy without outside help. If we’ll be sharing a room, for however brief, I personally would expect you to do your part in keeping order. Further responsibilities can come later. Help yourself to the study upstairs and the modest library in the manor.”