Foothold:Ch. 1, Wall.

The Marines are Berthed in the belly of the starship, and essential for attack and defense, whether it be on the gorund, or inside the ships during boarding actions. Fighter pilots and ships may win battles, but Marines will win the War.
Straken

Re: Foothold: Chapter one.

Post by Straken »

As the other members of his squad mingled, Dom was lost in thought back over where he was standing. Methodically he was feeling his right arm from the fingers to the elbow, and every now and again he would clench his fist and move his joints. All the while muttering something to himself as if he were examining a piece of old mining equipment back home. After a few more rounds of clenching his fist he stretched his arm straight out in front of him.

"Yeah, a robot hand would make my job a whole lot easier," Dom said finally after his thorough examination.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Camilla was mildly impressed by Asher's crude, hazardous, and yet effective means of surviving a cinched windpipe. She didn't let on any of this of course, just mulled it over until the quiet was disturbed by the troupe's youngest member. She sighed silently before turning from her reverie to observe Pepper's hijinks. When she waltzed away in the wake of their honorable leader, Private Enos made a quick quip to Asher, "Can't even defend your food from a little girl?"
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Card looked over from the commotion between Asher and the squad's youngest member towards Dom and gave him a long stare over – that was sadly obscured from view due to her combat gear – his spontaneous longing to become an android. Cocking her helmeted head from side to side as if she was trying to assimilate this sudden comment Emma eventually just shrugged it off.

“What would yah get added into it? Just something normal with more strength and durability? Or somethin' to surprise people with hidden blades and a flamethrower or a grenade lobber or two in it? By the by, I'm just assuming we just change out the whole arm – not enough room to mod otherwise.” Card's voice was a bit dry, but besides that seemed to have some genuine interest in the questions she had put forth.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Lucy sighed and rolled her eyes, unclipping her helmet from her belt and plopping it on her head, shutting out just that much of the world to keep her sane. She looked over at Pepper whom had stood beside her and at the rest of the group as they chattered and interacted amongst themselves, Asher having apparently stolen some fruit from somewhere. The Sergeant caught one of the fruit as it was thrown at her, and looked it over for half a moment before stuffing it in a pouch at her belt.

"Alright, Ladies. We're moving out. NOW" Winters announced, getting her Carbine at the ready, and standing up from the balcony ledge she had been leaning against. She stepped to, setting a quick pace toward one of the big lifts that was used to move personnel and supplies swiftly around the colony. She gave Camilla a pat on the back, with a nod of thanks for delivering the information she had asked for, before continuing past the group and into the lift.

"You guys better be locked and loaded by the time we hit the bottom or I'll kick your asses personally."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Ya know, you're right. There isn't a lot of volume in the human arm," Dom nodded in agreement. "But no, I'd get me a cutting torch, a welder, and some wire snips in mine. More useful for my..."

Dom's theorizing about how to properly mod an arm were cut short as Sergeant Winters spoke up. The squad was moving out to the bottom wall today which meant, if he was lucky, Dom could glean some scrap equipment to mess around with once he got back. Having already prepared his weapons and armor for the excursion, Dom went back to thinking about the robotic arm, which led to musings about finding enough scraps outside to construct his own cybernetics.

"Oh, but that would be rather unsanitary," Dom said to himself as he strode off behind Winters. With a shrug he pushed the idea to the back of his mind as he neared the lift, and instead mentally readied himself for the trip to the bottom wall; which generally resulted in him handling a few repairs here and there. "Walls are a boring thing to fix, but hey, needs to be done," he thought as he reached up to tap the face plate of his helmet out of habit. Rather than the ritual tapping sound, there was instead a soft squish.

"What the?" Dom asked out of confusion as he snapped back to what was in front of him, which in this case was nothing. His visor has become obscured with mushed coal fruit that had been slipped into his hand without him noticing. "Oh! I'm blind!" he exclaimed as he juked suddenly to the left and collided with a wall.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

Pepper Mills didn't have much to say as she did exactly as she was told, double timing it into the elevator, readying her gun but ensuring the safety was on until the final moment. Her face was tense, her expression grim. And then it suddenly lit up like a lightbulb! "Hey, that's mean guys - nobody said thank you to Asher!" she exclaimed.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Asher looked up at Camilla as she walked off, before staring at his fruit again. His mouth scrunched up a sour way, before tossing aside what was left of his food. The urban wildman pulled out his Orc shotgun, and checked it closely. "Commander says I can't kill anyone, and my knee-jerk reaction is usually to kill whoever's pickin' treats outta' my satchel."

He gathered up a few Slug and Buckshot drums and attached them to his wet-gear.

"This one time, this one guy snuck up 'hind me t'steal some'a my beecher berries. I'ms allergic t'beecher berries, but it was tha' only food I had. So when he reached for it, I pulled out m'breathin' pipe, stuck tha' sharp end down 'is throat, and put my thumb ova' tha' breathin' hole," Asher looked over his shoulder at the others, slamming a buck-shot drum into the Ork, before cocking it. He turned back, and followed the Sergeant's lead with a chuckle, "Unfortunately f'him, I can hold m'breath f'a long-ass time."
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

As she stood there in the elevator, in between Lucy and Asher, she idly stared off into the distance. Or at least until Asher started to speak up again. Was he angry? Perhaps he should be - the others didn't apologize for the free fruit they got, no matter how foul tasting it was. And Pepper knew that Pepper didn't need to apologize for being given free fruit. She just stole a thin, measly little slice from the man instead of a whole giant fruit. She sniffed, her nose sounding wet. "You're going to stick your pipe in me Asher? B-but, I was only trying to not take a whole fruit from you!" the teenager lamented.

"That's so cruel!"
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Shoulda' thought a'that 'fore you was stealin' slices from a crazy man," answered Asher rather simply, raising his Orc up to aim down the holo-sight. The bore of the nasty shotgun weapon was aimed at the wall, and looked positively nasty with the jagged beyonet welded on the front. "You'll be lucky iffn's my pipe is all I stick in ya."
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

They could only imagine what she was thinking at the moment. Pepper looked uncomfortable and confused, fidgeting in her armor and holding the gauss carbine even closer to her body as a result, she looked one way, to Asher, and another, away from him. And after a little bit of this, forced and shoved her way through the elevator to put the squad leader between herself and Asher, the guy who didn't appreciate her being happy with only a measly little slice of his fruit rather than an entire one like everyone else got!

"Sarge, Asher says he's going to stick his pipe in me and then some!" she loudly tattled, drowning out the other conversations for the briefest of moments