[Episode Three] Going the Extra Magic Mile

Archives of Occultus Magica's beginnings, ten years prior to the current story.
CadetNewb

Re: [Episode Three] Going the Extra Magic Mile

Post by CadetNewb »

At that, a shadow loomed over Percy's shoulder.

"Great - everyone's here," a soft voice spoke. Duncan meekly smiled at everyone and gave a small wave, a sharp contrast to his behavior earlier at night. Briefly thinking over what Percival said, he couldn't help but chuckle a little bit. "The rule of thumb is generally to 'just smile and wave' when something seems odd. You know, pretend everything is normal because it's almost always unnoticed by normal people due to a spell cast or something," Duncan helpfully explained to the other boy. "Like that tumbleweed for an example; that's not natural in Japan I think, but look, it's rolling on by the others and they don't even notice it."

True to his word, the tumbleweed began to blow towards a quick pickup game of baseball. The bases were loaded, the tension was high, and there was no guarantee lunchtime would provide enough time for another inning - time passed too quickly when having fun. The pitcher had solemnly strode over to his mound and settled into his position; he and the opposing batter locked eyes and stared each other down, sparks flying from the invisible struggle of wills. The aforementioned tumbleweed rolled by between the two with a small gust of wind, its timing absolutely perfect. A windup and throw, the ball sped straight at the catcher's glove - CRACK! The bat struck squarely; without another glance, the batter dropped his bat and ran. Time seemed to slow as the pitcher leaped sideways off his mound, the ball impacting hard in his glove - it wasn't over yet though - the boy fell to the dirt, the ball bouncing out of his grip and up into the air. Everyone's eyes were glued as the ball seemed to slowly float up, and finally, back down into the pitchers glove.

"Out!" the umpire called. The kids, cheering and looking at their watches, realized there was plenty more time for a few more goes.

"See? Um, anyways, I was worried I'd have to talk to everyone individually. That would've really tire me out, going everywhere to find you all, heh-heh," the boy weakly laughed before fumbling his fingers together, looking away with embarrassment. "Um, well, look; I'm guessing things didn't exactly go well last night based off the note I left myself, but I think we're not going to...make it next time our friend makes her appearance based on what I found," Duncan admitted. "I can help with that though! I may not look like it, but I was a pretty good magical teacher before..." his voice trailed off. He quickly changed subjects.

"But before that though, um, you guys wanna find whoever it is that's around?" he offered. Attempting to assuage the group, he went on, "If I make the tracking spell, the person should only be aware of me at first, and only go after me if he or she's hostile," Duncan explained, offering himself up as a decoy.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura found herself rather surprised, when she had looked down not a moment earlier there was nobody, now when she looked down there were a few people. It boggled her mind how they appeared so quickly, she blinked a few times before shaking her head and continuing to sit there as if there was no problems with her being there. However, the conversation was interesting to her, So there is someone else here? She pondered who it was, and if she could somehow screw up their little search.

Of course, she'd already found her next vantage point, ontop of one of the schools main buildings, which would give her a good point to look out.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Jane's initial reaction was to arch an eyebrow. "Yeah, I got a horse 'n a hat, 'n it's not like there's a guard. We marched in just fine, which is good. I reckon you might need my help." She swung her legs over the bench, stood, and turned to face them all again. "But if you'd rather not..." She trailed off as Duncan arrived. He was very different today, quite likely the polar opposite of himself. She got to wondering if it was the time of day or the situation that brought out his cock-sure warrior side.

To the American's proffered tutoring Jane was the first to answer. "I don' mind so long as yer team don' mind me." She glanced at Percy as she said this. Working with a team or alone was a trifling matter to her; she'd worked practically all her Evil-fighting days solo, but help was always welcome.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"I-I didn't... I mean... I'm sorry." Percy raised his hands to try and take back what he had said, but he already knew that what offenses had been made, had been made. He looked a tad apologetic to the American Daisey, until he became somewhat overcome by his own frustrations. The boy sighed, running a hand through his hair, knocking back his beret a bit. With his hat jostled, he pulled it off and shook out his loose hair, letting it come down naturally. Then, he pushed back the curly mop and secured the cap over his head.

"Percival, are you okay?"

"Alright, we've got a new member, and a plan to sort out the current situation. I've really only one question." spoke Percival, resuming a rather calm composure, with even a mild smile. His more plain expression returned when looked back to Duncan. "Duncan, is there a reason you're offering to go on the spot like this?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc was startled by Percy’s outcry to him greeting Jane. As far as the Irishman saw it the American helped save Hana, so he was not as suspicious as he had been when first meeting her. All things considered he was actually more suspicious of Duncan whenever the boy carried on with his soft spoken persona.

“For starters, we are dealing with an it not a she. Don’t be fooled, that abomination only steals the form of a woman,” Ruarc spoke up; his tone was stern as he corrected Duncan. “An’ as much as Ah hate to admit it, ya are right about us not being ready. It took the great Saint Patrick ta banish it before, and none of us here are exactly on par with an Irish Saint.”
”To be honest, I am still astounded we all got out as easy as we did. At least, most of us…”

“As for taking care of whatever is giving off this energy would be a welcome end to a growing headache,” said Ruarc as he rubbed the bridge of his nose.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Miyuki was a bit hesitant of Duncan's offer. She stayed silent while the others questioned the American boy, before herself finally speaking up. "I'm not sure if I trust you, Leetenbaum-san" she stated, simply. remaining seated despite most of the others having either stood up or having never sat down in the first place. Deciding that she needed to explain no further, the girl went back to her lunch, but kept her ears listening for whatever the others might say about all this.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura listened and smiled, then decided now was the time, she stood up and balanced herself evenly on the branch. She unzipped her coat slowly, the tiny sound the zipper made was barely audiable, then dipped her hand into the inside of her coat and pulled out what looked to be a wooden arrow. It's tip was metal made out of an odd material that was slightly golden brown with four 'wings' off to the sides, while the shaft itself was a light red with the feathers being multicolored.

If I do this... she said as she knelt back down and gently placed the head of the arrow on the branch, she then drew what she called a 'Cracker' rune 'around' the arrow, when she was done she saw a momentarily lightening as the rune she had just created pulsated for a moment before disappearing into the arrow's head. Then she pulled the hood over her head, to cover her face and conceal her identify, before she took her bow and placed the arrow's nook up against the string and carefully pulled the string back, with the bow itself now aimed downward into the center of the group.

She took in one deep, silent breath, then exhalled slowly, then took in another breath and released the arrow. In the same stroke, she activated the two fly runes she had embued into the bottom of her shoes and quickly lept from the branch toward the roof - knowing that if she stayed there the group would put two and two together and figure out 'where' the arrow came from. Behind her, she heard what sounded like a series of loud firecrackers going off, and hoped that it would stun the group long enough for her to gain distance before she attempted to go after them again.
Last edited by Kalshion on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

"Yeah, I kinda figured that out too, but I think 'she' is more accurate for Caoránach, considering what it can do." With that covered, he merely waited for the hammer to fall. Just why was he offering to be the bait? It was, quite sadly, rather simple.

Duncan could only shuffle in embarrassment his feet at first though.

"Um, well, the truth is, I'm uh...just a little bit useless during the day. It's just the curse cycle, really," the American boy answered, pretending to hold something small and insignificant in between his index finger and thumb. He seemed oddly coy on the subject matter, but attempted to steer away from it as soon as possible, rather explaining what he actually could do. "I mean, I do have caster weapons I can use, but I don't have energy to spare for anything else. That's why it's probably better if I lead - all you guys really need is the tutorial in my head after all, heh," Duncan further explained, now lightly rapping his fingers against his head.

Meanwhile, the pitcher's girlfriend stepped up to the plate. His four friends weren't too pleased with this turn of events, but all sat and silently watched with intent.

"Anyways, are you guys rea - OWW OW OWWWW!" Duncan suddenly cried out in pain - the arrow that landed with a 'thunk' in Duncan's rear end suddenly went off in a series of loud bangs and flashes, mostly blinding and deafening the group. It was more or less just like a series of smaller flashbangs; despite this though, they managed to get a glimpse of a figure darting out of the nearby tree as it flew over to the building. Had Caoránach made her move?!

Nobody noticed this commotion of course. The girlfriend's swing sent the ball straight to the pitcher's head and floored him, eliciting his four previously silent friends to suddenly give an uproar of cheer from their seats as they rooted for 'what had to be' a home run.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Jane was halfway to assuaging Percy's worries and informing him she wasn't the least bit offended- only teasing.

That's when they were attacked. She want to draw, almost swore under her breath when she remembered there were children around, and winced when Duncan took the hit. Not wasting time on empty apologies or first aid, Calamity Jane rushed to her Steed who had likewise come much closer in anticipation of its rider. The Texan swung herself into the saddle with one quick and fluid motion and gave chase. It would be difficult to track this person accurately from street level, but Jane possessed a strong intuition about these things- what the others would consider 'sensing' a magic user she understood only as a keen perception.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

As soon as the fireworks went off, Percival had spun off the bench in a panic. Like a war-time veteran, he hit the ground with a loud thud, and begun scrambling about under the bench. A loud thunk sounded as he bumped his head, and knocked his beret off. The welsh whelp slipped under the table, somewhat disorientedly, before thunking his head against one of the metal supports under the table, making all of the items on the table-top bounce once.

"Owww!" howled Percy as his head throb, and his mind swirled with pain. He hobbled on his hands and knees, turning a bit, and trying to find his head freedom. He simply tried fitting his head back out, clenching his eyes shut to fight through any pain.

Foomp! Went Percy's head up Miyuki's skirt, lodging his head tightly between her thighs. It took all of a second for Percival to realize that the warm, silky-smooth surfaces pressing against his cheeks were not air.

"Baugh!" yelled the boy, ripping his head away back under the table, only to once again bang against the same metal support as before.
Last edited by Kokuten on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.