[The Keep] Walking to Skye

Straken

Re: [The Keep] Walking to Skye

Post by Straken »

“That’s pretty rad. The family approval bit, not the almost dying jazz,” Brooke spoke after a couple moments of thinking. The New Yorker seemed to be thinking as she lazily cut a piece of chicken. “The mentorship program is rad, huh? A lot of the sheltered druids sages and somas who just experience the Order like it’s a ding dang college don’t get all the good that comes from training one-on-one with an experienced druid. I don’t know where I’d be if Master Cas hadn’t found me. Scratch that, I’d be a dye job on a red cap’s hat; BUT if there hadn’t been a murder fey involved… Hell, I’d probably be in jail for some shit, or at best selling out to some dead end job that requires a two hour long subway ride one way. Now I’m in effin’ Scotland defending a castle! I even have a dope sword!”

The American looked away for a moment, seeing someone.

“Oi, Desi! Over here!” Brooke called to someone and waved. A teenage girl around Drysi’s age looked over as she was looking for a place to sit. She had a slight build and a frizzy mass of brown hair. Once she got to the table she greeted Brooke, before turning to Drysi and seemed to have a moment of realization.

“Drysi, this is Destiny. Desi, this is Drysi,” the Keeper began the introduction, trying not to get tongue tied.

“Pleasure. Destiny LeChance of the Third Circle,” the other teen greeted as she took a seat across from Drysi. “A new meeting shall be wreathed in Threes of emerald green.”

“Another fortune?” Brooke gave Desi a sidelong look.

“About my day, yes. Three druids at the table, she and I are both Third Circle, and she has three green eyes. Three sets of three capped by green,” Destiny spoke without looking at Brooke as she started eating the salad that dominated her own tray.

“Des here is a fortune teller,” Brooke gestured with her thumb.

“A crude summation of my ability to read the currents of fate,” Destiny took a haughty tone.

“But yeah, called ya over figuring Drysi might like to meet one of the more eccentric Thirds,” Brooke brushed past the tone.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Internally, Drysi gasped. A comrade. She missed her chance to speak to that other third she had seen in the dorms earlier. Now she was sitting across from one. A number of questions rose in her mind, particularly what the fortune-teller may have been working on at the time. It seemed like the crafters stayed busy, and it would be keen to know what Destiny was up to.

“Your name is Destiny LeChance and you can read the future?” asked Drysi in a way that sounded a lot more skeptical than she meant. It was not the most promising question, but somehow beat out, ’What do you work on?’

Please expand on that,” insisted Gideon.

Drysi’s three, emerald eyes slowly drifted off as she struggled to think of a way to save that last question. For once, Gideon wasn’t salvaging the situation for her, but eventually she snapped to with, “Does your gift run in the family? I don’t know many mages that do tha’ divinin’ sort of thing.”

With a stiff bearing, she looked side-long at Gideon, who was looking up at her. Her eyebrows rose a bit, and the snake seemed to nod. This evident approval drove Drysi to speak again before her familiar cut her off.

”No. Try it a different way.”

”Why?”

”Asking it like that just confirms her statement.”

Drysi puffed out her cheeks, before getting back to the conversation with her frenetic energy, “What made you think I was a Third?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Yes, my name is Destiny LeChance, I am a fortune teller, and no it doesn’t run in my family; I’m the first mage in my family. Fate just had a bit of a sense of humor with me,” Destiny spoke rhythmically, and her tone suggested she’d received the question before. “As for why I thought you were a Third, I wish I could say I foresaw it, but no, I just heard we had a new member of the Circle visiting; a triclops around my age apprenticing with Master Flynn. Educated guess based on that.”

She took a bite of her salad, and waited to speak again until she had swallowed.

“I study various divination methods that different cultures use, and have been working on creating my own as a part of Circle Three. And, as a hobby, I offer readings for people in my free time,” she continued.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

”She shoots straight! I like her,” shared Drysi with Gideon.

”I want to know my fortune…” Gideon answered with youthful curiosity. This surprised Drysi, if not for the fact that her familiar had really been coming into his own since coming to Carneath. Even if he had an almost otherworldly understanding of people, he was still only a few weeks old at this point.

“That’s… cool,” vocalized Drysi finally, escaping from her thoughtful prison with more of a glittering flare in her eyes, “You’re doin’ such a grown-up project and you’re just little… younger… older than me? All my projects are either about hittin’ somethin’ harder or not gettin’ hit as hard. Y’know… practical security developments, stuff that Keepers can use. A rune glove. A rune kevlar vest… Rune ink…”

”Your work is very cool, Drysi,” encouraged Gideon.

”Yeah, but it’s like making a new gun, where she’s making a new kind of gun.”

With pursed lips, Drysi began to rock back and forth on her seat as she gripped the edge of the table, mewling, “Ugggh, Chief Mastrogiacomo is workin’ on so many cool things, too. My stuff just sounds borin’ when I think about it now.”

Cool scales pensively pressed against her cheek, and Drysi turned her attention back to Gideon. She gasped.

“Can you read m’snake’s fortune? After your salad, of course,” requested Drysi. At the mention of his species, Gideon shot out from under Drysi’s curls, almost as excited as she was, “If not his, maybe mine?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Of course~ I’d be happy to offer a reading for both of you,” Destiny answered with a smile. “Although, fortunes are more accurate if you have a clear question that you wish to ask the fates. Think of specifics while I’m eating if you’d like.”

The Fatecaller druid munched away happily at her salad as she and Brooke alternated idle conversation with Drysi and each other. Eventually Destiny finished her food and pushed the tray off to the side. Then with one hand she reached into her bag and withdrew a deck of cards, and with her other hand she reached up to the collar of her shirt. From beneath a fold of fabric crept a beautifully colored orchid mantis that came to sit daintily on her index finger before the hand moved down to the table.

“We’ll start with your familiar,” Destiny began. “This is my familiar Ezekial. He’s going to help me with this next part. My visions become clearer if I’m able to form some familiarity with the other party. So I’m just going to have Zeke ask a few questions for me.”

The mantis moved dexterously onto the table and raised one of its arms to Gideon in greeting.

“Hello, as you heard, my name is Ezekial. Zeke for short,” Zeke sounded chipper as he spoke with a youthful exuberance. “First question being straightforward: your name? As well as: have you found any hobbies yet that have captured your attention when not with your druid? Favorite time of day? Beyond your druid and her master, have you met any curious individuals who have stuck out in your mind? And lastly, if you could be any other animal, what would it be?”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Around this stage of his life, Gideon didn’t know many creatures that were much smaller than himself. Even if he had been growing rapidly from his youngling stage, he was still little compared to most other familiars. Ezekial was barely larger than the human finger! Despite having met Francesca earlier that day, the mantis’ size felt much more relevant.

”I am Gideon Maelgwyn.”

The familiar craned his head to look down at Zeke, nodding.

”I like to read. It is a hobby that can be enjoyed without hands.”

These thoughts came after short staccatos of thought.

”My favorite time of day is the morning, when the rocks are cool, but the sun is warm.”

As he pondered the next thought, he began to flatten his head over his coils, almost feeling trepidation at answering the next question.

”Stuck in my mind…? Mm… Aashvi…”

The last question gave the thoughtful serpent the most pause. Drysi looked down at him, meeting his gaze, seeming more and more eager for her turn. To see that smile creep out from under her shawl made his heart fill with delight. Deep down, he knew he was happy as he was, but he could change, for her.

”Sometimes, I wish I were a bird.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

As Gideon offered his answers he would see Zeke’s head shift towards Destiny in between each response as the mantis relayed the information. He only spoke a couple times, the first of which was asking himself confirmation on who Aashvi was before remembering; the second was a positive response to the decision to pick bird for the last answer.

”Ah yes, flight is a popular ability for many familiars. I’m in a weird grey area myself,” Zeke spoke in a very friendly manner as he flexed his back revealing his insectoid wings. “Now, I can’t fly gracefully like a bird, or even other insects. So while it has its uses, I can sympathize.”

As the familiars conversed, Destiny was shuffling her deck.

“Drysi, I’ll ask you a couple questions as well that you can think of while I perform Gideon’s fortune telling. Similarly, consider a specific question you would like to ask the cards. First question, if you could change your middle name to anything, what would it be? Second, if you could visit anywhere in the world what color would you want the streets to be? Third, what is your favorite food to eat when watching a comedic movie?” Destiny spoke as she flipped on of the cards with deft fingers. One the card was an older man with a blue trumpet in his lap as he sat beside a hearth in a cozy parlor; the title on the card read The Godfather. “Once again, my deck is unique, but its cards are better attuned to the intricacies on the cosmic weave.”

She shifted her attention to Gideon as Zeke used his wings to hop onto Destiny’s sleeve.

“Alright Gideon, the most common general fortune I tell is Today, Tomorrow, and a Year from Now, but to help establish a baseline of confidence between you and I since this is our first meeting, I will also use the cards to read how Yesterday was for you. Let’s begin,” Destiny spoke with a succinct tone as she ran through the process. Then she drew a card and sat it on the table.

Sat down for Yesterday was a card bearing an intimidating blindfolded figure wrapped in bandages. He stood atop a castle wall beside a cauldron of molten bronze with a obsidian hammer in his hand. A large obsidian spike has been driven into his own foot.

“The Warden,” Destiny spoke. Her eyes were closed. “He guards his liege’s keep with unwavering loyalty, and is willing to pay the highest price to do so. This card is aligned with Earth energy, and represents Alliance, Support, Success, Happiness, but also Indifference and Stagnation. Yesterday you met a number of new individuals that you consider allies, and stood vigilant as Drysi worked on her own responsibilities.”

Flick. The next card. A humanoid winged wolf mother stood in a field beside a lone windmill watching over her pups, who were crossbreeds between wolf and sheep; a lone winged wolf pup flies beyond the windmill.

“The Caress. The wolf mother represents strict yet fair authority, while her pups represent innocence that must be protected. The field is a place for meditation and understanding one’s place in the world. Today you will have met more than half of the Chiefs of our Order. A pretty good streak. I also see peaceful relaxation in store for you this evening.”

Flick. A small mouse wearing dented armor and carrying a tattered battle standard stands among discarded weapons in a vast desert with a blood red sky; a titanic bestial skeleton looms in the distance, staring at the lone mouse.

“The Imperial. Justice, Judgement, Leadership. Rivalry and Tragedy. Tomorrow you will be tested as your path takes you towards hardships both past and present. Stay strong, Gideon, and remember that the support between you and Drysi is cyclical; not just one way.”

Flick. The last card: a man in a robe dances along a shore in front of the setting sun.

“The Womanizer. Communication, Peace, Yearning, Passion, and Power. A year from now I see a large crossroad of energy; a wedding, a time of celebration, but also great change.”

Destiny opened her eyes and took a deep breath.

“Any questions for me Gideon? And are you about ready for you fortune, Drysi?”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Something in Gideon’s soul told him he was wise; careful. This was not just a matter of being a snake that preferred flight to fight, but who he was. Destiny was speaking of things she couldn’t possibly know about, nor could he give any credit to things to come. Throughout it all, he stayed on the table, still as stone, facing one eye up at the fortune-teller.

The Imperial.

Hardships past and present. Something will happen tomorrow. His body began to coil a little more tightly in anticipation. Being tested was something he hadn’t needed to deal with yet, and his druid was more than just eccentric, so there were definitely challenges to come. There wasn’t much to his past and just barely something to his present. So perhaps it was something of Drysi’s past, becoming his own? He was just a snake, if something from Drysi’s past came, he would hardly be ready for it.

Gideon hadn’t realized that he was slowly rising and tensing until his druid’s hand caressed his scales. Like a cooling salve, it calmed him, and he began to settle back into a more relaxed pose.

“Do ya have any questions for her Gid?”

”Am I going to get married?”

A loud snort tore into a fit of laughter as the triclops rocked back and forth on her bench. Gideon felt rather proud of that one, and began his way back up his druid’s sleeve to take safe haven under her tent of curls.

“Okay. I think I’m ready. I’ll roll down my list of things in order,” started Drysi, holding up her hand to number them, “First, Gideon wants to know if he’s getting married. For your questions, if I could change my middle name to anything? It’s pretty fookin’ hard to beat Llewella, was my aunt’s name, but sometimes I wished they’d given me my mum’s name, Wynne. She’s the only part a’my life that isn’t a little culty. As for the color of streets… Red. Like brick? I’ve always liked those little brick streets. And for my favorite food for a comedy movie? Challah bread. My mum would make it for any movie night, and we’d tear off pieces and spread butter on’m. It’d be gone by the first ten minutes, but you’d better bet it was fookin’ good. And for a specific question…

Up until this point, Drysi had been trying to contain her excitement. The prospect of danger got her heart racing, but she was keeping it down. Anticipation was getting the better for her though, and her emerald eyes took on an unnatural gleam, with her pupils becoming just slightly misshapen.

“... will I ever destroy the man that wronged me?”
Straken

Post by Straken »

Destiny chuckled at Gideon’s question, but refocused all the same on her deck. At the same time Brooke’s eyes went wide as Drysi mentioned her middle name and softly said, “Totally callin’ ya Louie from now on.” The Fatecaller flicked one more card from the deck for Gideon. On the card a bartender stands beside an empty rail in a burgundy colored bar as he idly smokes a cigarette; two drinks are poured and sat in front of vacant seats. The name of the card read The Red Strings Club.

“A good portent for relationships, although not necessarily marriage. The bartender is witness to many different kinds of love, and the drinks he pours draws out the truth. I see you growing a bond with another that takes second place only to your bond with Drysi. You will not marry, but you shall become as a big brother; an indispensable source of stability and family for someone that needs it,” Destiny spoke once more with her eyes closed, a slight smile on her lips as the vision seemed pleasant.

She then took the cards off of the table and reshuffled the deck as her eyes opened and focused on Drysi.

“Now, for you Drysi. Revenge is a very powerful question. Steeped in Fire, it is always focused, and as sharp as a knife. I feel we’ll get a very clear reading. Now, for this question I will focus on a couple of aspects. The first, the heart of this wrong doing. Second, the course you endeavor has set you on. Third, the culmination. Let’s begin.”

Flick. Destiny’s face tensed and her closed eyes scrunched tighter. The card looked almost alien, with a ghastly figure with a flaming head; upon his chest looked to be a single large eye beginning to open. It hovered in what appeared to be a quarry being mined by colossal figures. It stood with its back to what looked to be piles upon piles of gold, and clutched in a disembodied hand was a crimson blade. The title of the card; Aurophobia.

“A powerful card. The figure is an ancient behemoth; cosmic entities that have existed before time itself became a construct. He turns his back on gifts given freely, with an eye that can see through any veil. It represents Determination, Deception, The Unknown, Ego, Sabotage, and Adversity. The man who wronged you caused your life to change drastically. Like a dam that obstructs a river, you were made to either divert course or risk overflowing and destroying all the good around you.”

Without opening her eyes, Destiny took a sip of her water.
Flick. A dark hued card featuring another alien looking entity. It hovered just above a mirrored sea with a pentacle behind its head and a blood red crescent moon risen just above the horizon to its right. The creature has a symmetrical oval body with a ring of vertical slit eyes on both ends bisected by two grinning jaws and a central body where its arms sprouted forth. Its left arm had spindly razor-like fingers that grasped the handle of an ornate jug; from the jug the creature poured a red liquid into the sea. Its right arm was chitinous and rather than a hand it capped with a large crab-like claw that grasp a similar but smaller jug; from the jug poured a dark liquid speckled with stars. The sea where these streams met the surface roiled. The title read The Fate of Atlantis.

“Another behemoth, but this one is deceiving in its appearance. It is known as The Seed. Said to take an interest in young species, The Seed hides ever out of sight; its caress nurturing mercy and introspection in others, as well as a curiosity into the deeper mysteries of the world. The jugs it pours carry upon the stream one’s inner desires, while the boiling sea of tears grant access to profound hidden emotions. Representing Introspection, Mercy, Wellness, and Power. In the time since your fate became intertwined with the one who wronged you, you path has taken you down roads you never thought you would travel; discovering new things that have opened your world; and have even found companions who will travel this new road with you while loving you as you are.”

Flick. The last card stalled in Destiny’s hand as a slight tremble ran through it. Zeke had perked up and had extended one of his claws to run it through his druid's hair. When the card was finally sat on the table it seemed to land with weight the card should not possess. Destiny’s eyes opened to look at the card; her eyes were completely white.

The card depicted a castle in flames. A heavily bandaged woman knelt on a battlefield beside a fallen steed. In her right hand she held a longsword by the steed’s neck to support herself, and in her left hand she held a mirror. An arrow has pierced the woman’s chest as she looks down at her horse while phantasmal masks laugh, scream, and cry in the sky above the smoking ruins. The name on the card read Parabellum.

Sabotage, Adversity, Rivalry, Tragedy. Courage. War distorts all feelings, even the pain of a thousand wounds. The essence of those who fight must carry day, while the mirror dispels that which isn’t true. I… see you, Drysi. Standing upon a ledge weeping. Around you are the bodies of fallen druids, and behind you Carneath burns; but you are only able to focus on… mourning someone who has fallen from the ledge, consumed by howling darkness. The culmination of your fate interwoven with the man… it will shake the Order to its foundation.”

Destiny’s hands were trembling, and her stark white eyes were focused on the card.

“Keep…” she cleared her throat before trying to speak again. “Keep your courage, Drysi. You and those who walk the road with you must stay strong. Or the world around you will crumble.”

Destiny’s eyes returned to normal as the Fatecaller released the last of her breath. She slumped forward a bit before Brooke put a supportive hand on her shoulder, the other girl looked shaken as beads of sweat formed on her forehead.

“Hehe, see? Asking specific questions gets some wild fortunes,” Destiny said, sounding out of breath.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Alexei ruined her life.

No, that would be wrong, Alexei changed Drysi’s life. If he hadn’t come along, it was very possible that Bleddyn would have taken Drysi’s body, and her triclops form would have just been a vessel. Because of his continued meddling, she changed her path from the cultist to that of the druid. In a way, Alexei had saved her life in his own cruel way, forcibly putting her on the path she was now. A path that made her find love, a path that drove her to appreciate the guidance she had in her life, a path that had her sitting in the stone embrace of Carneath.

If she was reading her own fate right, pursuing Alexei would ruin her life again, maybe even those around her.

Drysi hadn’t been ready for the reality that came for her through Destiny’s words. The terrible fate that awaited her; more suffering, more loss. Who would fall from the ledge? Her mother? Her father? No. Mr. Flynn?

Willow?

A sensation of daggers driving into her skin permeated through her body as her blood went to ice. Throughout all of this, her incensed mind only thought of one question. The fear of not caring for others haunted her heart. The shame of not wanting to know anything else burdened her mind. The idea of not knowing the answer caused her whole form to shake. Even with visions of everything around her burning, of losing everything around her, of every possible loss, one question hung in her mind.

But, did I kill him?

Drysi stood, sharply, her eyes boring through Destiny.

“But, did I kill him?”

Suddenly, the acolyte threw herself away from the table, unable to bear hearing whatever the answer was. She stumbled back, nearly losing her footing. Her heavy satchel nearly sent her colliding with someone else, but the moment she regained her balance; she ran. Her eyes went to the door first, weaving past others as if there were a fire, and from there, she didn’t know.

She just needed to run.