[Austria] Chapter 2.1 - The Sage of Doors & His Lovely Enchantress

Straken

Re: [Austria] Chapter 2.1 - The Sage of Doors & His Lovely Enchantress

Post by Straken »

“Never needed but always appreciated, Kat,” Willow said with a smile upon accepting her gift. “I for one am just glad somebody actually had a relaxing vacation that wasn’t filled with cultists and spriggans.”

Ever the eager one, the Brit waited for an acceptable number of heartbeats before opening up her gift; after all, she didn’t want to seem too excited. Intrigued by the small crate and the weight of the gift she could help but let her mind race as she wondered what might be inside. Cracking open the lid, her eyes began to sparkle.

“Oh~~~~~! What darling looking chocolates! Move over chocolate coins,” Willow fawned as she wondered what flavor each one was, or if they were just foiled to match a number of her allomatic metals. Either way, they looked very high quality. Had Kat stopped in Germany? Or was it Switzerland that did chocolates good? Picking up the Gold bullion, she marveled at the weight of it, and wondered how they had got the chocolate so dense. Lifting the Gold to her mouth she took a bite… and damn near chipped a tooth.

The Gold stayed in place between her teeth as her face ran through a series of emotions. Surprise at the density. Stubborn grit that made her want to snap off a piece. Slow realization that this wasn’t chocolate. Stunned silence at the confirmation that it wasn’t chocolate.

“Dish innan’t shocolit,” Willow managed to say past the bullion still clamped in her teeth. Her face had run pale even with the tan she’d built up on the farm, and a cold sweat formed on her brow.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

At the Head of the Table
Opa Krieger smiled silently as Katerina delivered her gifts, then turned to Kitsueki and nodded. "Oh, I'm certain. I may even do you one better, young lady." There was a mischievous twinkle in his aged, crinkled eyes as he said it. Then, to the young Michizaki he offered a fatherly smile. "Very sweet, young lady. You are a good friend."

Johann shrank into himself, abashed, but his frown had curled into a smile. "Thththth... it's nice." He was feeling too overwhelmed to say any more. If he were braver, he might have reassured Drysi. He might have commiserated with Willow and Kat. As it was, he committed himself to devouring his favorite dish.

Oma Krieger chimed in. "Lovely gifts! Now, please, kindern, let's eat while it's still hot and fresh."

The rest of the meal was uneventful. Afterward, Oma led the children through preparations for bed, despite the sun still hovering above the horizon. "For you, kindern, it is late. Gate lag floors even the most tenacious mages. You will rest!" She brooked no argument and distracted them all by revealing to them the contents of the guest room drawers: pajamas. After much digging, a proper fitting set was found for every child.

Toothbrushes were torn out of packages. Foil was plucked from new shampoo bottles. Warm towels were laid out. And for each, there was a unique, complex, hand-quilted blanket to accompany their other sleeping arrangements. It was as if Ute Krieger had been preparing for such an event. The truth was much simpler: the lady of the house prepared for everything. She was a triple black belt in planning, organizing, and coordinating.

It might not have been evident to the children as they were shuffled around the house in a synchronous orbit that would have been the envy of Broadway dance coordinators worldwide. But Lady saw this and was fascinated. So fascinated, she had briefly reached out with her mind seeking signs that the elderly woman was a psychic. As if sensing the touch, Ute turned toward Miss Sumedha with a smile and a wink. "I've had a lot of practice." The counselor didn't know what to make of that either and wasn't willing to risk a second attempt.

By the time everyone was prepared for sleep, the exhaustion had finally caught up to Johann. Since staying at the dormitories, he had taken to sleeping in hoodies. It was easy to tell himself that his friends didn't care about his disfigurement, but it had proven impossible to convince himself. So he sat in his bed with the hood up and his eyepatch on. It left some of the warped, purple skin over his eye exposed. It was a huge step for him, especially in the presence of people-- frankly, complete strangers-- that didn't know about his "ugly side" as Opa endearingly called it.

He was listening to his friends converse with a smile on his weary face when Oma entered to bid them goodnight and toss one of those hand-made quilts over her grandson. The little necromancer looked at his grandmother quizzically. "Oma, I have a good blanket- and a sweater."

She only smiled back and kissed his purpled forehead. "It's getting cold, bärchen. Don't fuss."

Johann rolled his eye-- then fell into a fit of embarrassed giggles when she smothered his cheek with a flurry of smooches. "O-o-o-o-oma! Sssssstop!" By the time he'd finished his protestations, Oma had already relented.

"That'll teach you to fuss! Don't think I won't embarrass you before your friends, young man."

"Okay Oma, okay!" He pulled the quilt up to his waist in a display of compliance.

"Good. The rest of you, be warned: while you're in my home, consider yourselves adopted! None are safe from my love." A pointed finger swept over all of them to emphasize the point. "Sleep well, kindern. You will need your rest. The coming days will be exhausting, I'm sure."

After the children were all settled, Ute paid a visit to the farthest guest room, announcing herself with a gentle knock.

"Come in."

Sumedha was standing beside the bed looking decidedly un-Lady-like in a pair of flannel pajamas. She sat on the edge of the bed as Oma entered and patted the quilt beneath her. "Did you make all of these?"

"Mostly," Oma Krieger answered, glowing with quiet pride.

"It's lovely, but I tend to run hot."

"Then toss the comforter," she suggested with a serious look in her eye.

"So they're-"

"Quilts," Oma answered with a smile. "Come now, let a woman have a few surprises. I've been developing my mysterious airs longer than you've been alive." When Lady conceded with a nod and a gesture of the hand, Oma bowed her head. "Good night, Lady, and thank you for saving those children."

The counselor shook her head. "No, I--"

"Saved my Jojo," Oma finished for her. "And them. A dozen parents can sleep soundly knowing their children are alive and well and in a safe place."

Lady shook her head again. "I don't think-"

"You do too much thinking, sometimes. And too much rhetoric. Don't pick apart my words, hear my meaning." She lowered her head to stare at the younger woman with an admonishing expression.

The meaning, of course, was clear. It didn't take a telepath to hear the gratitude in her voice or see the relief on her face. "Yes. You're welcome, I suppose. I was only-"

"I swear to the stars, if you say I was only doing my job, I'll have Wolfgang toss you through a door so fast-"

It was finally Lady's turn to interrupt. "No, I was doing my job. But yes, I did my best to keep the children safe." She frowned. "Most of them."

Ute stepped up and cupped Lady's cheek. "Young lady, you were incredible. Don't let yourself think any different. It was an impossible scenario, and the cost fell on so few because of you." She let go. "Now rest. I mean it. Don't make me mother you too." There was mischief in this latest grin.

Lady smiled back and nodded. "I will. Your hospitality lives up to its reputation, Mrs. Krieger."

"Oma is fine."

The counselor didn't answer, but climbed into bed. "Good night."

"Good night."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Night brought quiet, and quiet brought restlessness. That much was apparent, in how light, gentle footsteps meandered carefully over from the guest room, to Johann's room. By the audacity of the maneuver, it was clear Manon had intended to impose her own idea of how the rooms would be split. Even clearer was how quietly she moved, like one who was used to moving around in the dark. With great care, she bumped the door open, but came low to the bed before anyone could have a chance to turn over and see her intrusion.

Then, she awkwardly shuffled under the cover at the edge of the bed, in a way that would be difficult for Johann to ignore. Especially with the two harsh taps to his ribs if he hadn't. The hem of the cover rose, and it was not Manon's smoldering brown eyes looking at him…

… but the radiant, gemstone eyes of Drysi.

Her usual hood of golden curls were pulled up into a top bun, like a silly, gilded crown. She was so close he'd be able to catch the aroma of ozone from her usual work, masked by a lavender scent.

"Johann," whispered the druid, "are you okay? You didn't look good at dinner. I came to check on you."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Post dinner, Willow had whiled away some time as she filed away some metal. She’d learned a fair bit after the Floating Isles Incident, and as such kept a metal file and back up vials in her pack. Her backup metal situation could still benefit from some extra paranoia, but at the very least she wasn’t in as dire of straits as she had been. By the end of it, she’d set up two back up vials of Zinc, Brass, Copper, and Bronze; coupled with this was one more vial of Tin, Pewter, Iron, and Steel; as well as three beads of the Clever alloy, which she’d had identified as Duralumin. Now if she had the Noble Saber with her, she’d feel set to take on anything.

As the night progressed Willow settled into a comfortable rhythm as she could almost believe she was visiting her own grandparents; albeit with slightly different accents. With the time for sleep approaching Willow began to burn off her reserves, opting for the practice rather than simply burning Aluminum. Once more she was greeted by the array of blue lines and a variety of signature pulses emanating from the various mages scattered around the home. With Zinc she made a zone of enhanced feelings of happiness, while with Brass she Soothed doubt and fear; unfortunately Willow was unaffected by her own emotional allomancy.

Lounging beneath her quilt in the Tin brightened darkness, Willow felt bored as she waited for her metals to finish burning off. Movement. Willow closed her eyes enough to hide her wakefulness. Tin let her see movement through the slit of her eyelids, and Bronze told her it was Drysi. She must be going to the bathroom, the Brit thought. She heard footsteps going down the hall, but rather than hearing a door close she heard one open. Realistically, it meant nothing, and if it weren’t for the boredom she would probably have not given it a second thought. Checking her Pewter reserve, she figured she could get another ten minutes out of her reserve, and so she carefully removed her own quilt before creeping like a cat through the hall; Bronze guiding her. Raising the burn on Tin she listened to the quiet house, and the door to Johann’s room.
Zotsune

Post by Zotsune »

After everyone finished their meals Kitsueki went on auto pilot to collect all of the dishes from around the table and brought them into the kitchen to get them washed before she went to bed. She had ignored all of Oma Krieger's demands to stop her from doing the dishes but the only time Oma Krieger saw Kitsueki's eyes they looked dulled and distant. Like she was under a charm or some sort of psychological break. Kitsueki's only response was during this time in which she muttered:

"The dishes need to be done before i can go to bed, only I am allowed to clean them."

After she finished the dishes her demeanor returned, she bowed to Oma and Opa Krieger and thanked them of their hospitality before she bounded off to get ready for bed. She had walked back and forth through the upstairs hall as she got ready, on occasion she would hear voices coming from Johann's door and assumed it was just Katerina and Johann talking about the days events. When she had determined she had finished her bedtime ritual she opened the door to Drysi and Johann talking with them both in his bed. Kitsueki's face turned red and she closed the door. She opened it back up and said "sorry for intruding" before she closed the door once more. She breathed heavily as she calmed herself. She decided to stay put in front of the door to prevent others from intruding on Johann and Drysi's alone time.
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

As the majority of Vrey's friends slipped from, or never made it to, their resting places the bald girl carefully folded the borrowed quilt away from her body and got to her feed. Remarque sleepily looked up from where he was curled atop and aguard Kat's gift to them. Vrey tapped two gauntleted fingers against her plaid pajama covered leg to call the puppy to her.

The pair left the room and out into the hall passing an utterly and magickly silent Willow - who Vrey pretended not to see out of respect. Remarque on the other hand, wagged his tail in greeting and dropped into a play stance before running in an equally magickly quiet manner around the allomancer before sprinting off to catch up with Vrey. The two next passed Kitsueki standing guard in front of a door. Vrey's eyes - still growing green from her earlier time consumption - found her classmate's and the bald teen gave Kitsueki an encouraging nod.

"I need to write a letter but if you require relief later come find me."

Without waiting for a response Vrey and Remarque took to the stairs and made their way to where she had seen a desk setup with stationary and ink earlier. Grabbing pen, parchment, and ink Vrey took Remarque into the kitchen and then picked him up. The puppy dipped his left paw into the ink and pressed it twice in succession to the middle of the paper. He yipped happily as Vrey cleaned his paw with tendrils of her power and licked her face before she set him down to settle at her feet.

Beneath the paw prints Vrey wrote:

Vormund

I know if you died you died first. I know if you died it was the correct choice. "To carry others is life," you told me once. But, if you have become only a memory-

Vrey held herself very still and then set her pen aside too carefully. Her hand passed over the letter and flashes of green sparked under her palm. The only ink left on the paper after her movement the two small pawprints and the word Vormund.

The girl leaned back in the chair at the kitchen table and carefully brushed her bare feet down Remarque's spine. The downstairs of the Krieger house remained quiet.