To the Attention of all Prospective Members

New users must post here before they can become part of the site. Please, introduce yourself, tell us why you're here, and what brought you in.

Post ANY spam and your account will be banned and deleted. thank you.
Gwathdraug

To the Attention of all Prospective Members

Post by Gwathdraug »

While our group is quite happy to have our own site now, we are having an extremely large problem in the form of spam accounts and posters. While the posters are having their accounts automatically deleted and their IP's banned the massive numbers of spam accounts we get daily is becoming almost a bigger hassle.

I therefore must ask for anyone who is actually interested in our RP to make a COURTESY POST (either in the form of a response to this thread itself, or a PM to one of our mods or Admins, currently Mr. BlackBird Lore, Kai, Straken or myself if you feel like you want a more private response) within THREE DAYS of signing up.

If we do not recieve some kind of response within that time frame, the account WILL BE DELETED.
Our group is sorry that we must do this, but it is necessary to keep the site clean and as spam free as possible.

- Sincerely Gwathdraug, Site Moderator
Phe0n1x

Re: To the Attention of all Prospective Members

Post by Phe0n1x »

I received this email last night from Paul, our server admin:
I'm looking into a barrage of outgoing spam emails (136 since Feb 10th) from the [bhotr email address] to what looks like random recipients. I'm assuming it's the result of some sort of bad script, trojan, or most likely it's an injection attack. Do you have an updated version(s) of the software you use on your domain? ie. phpbb
There were 46 bots registered since the last purge. BB removed them and we changed the captcha system to reCAPTCHA as well as set the registration approval by Admin (eg: Admin must approve of new member before he/she can post). It seems the bots had bypassed the other captcha system; hopefully this has fixed the problem.

SO: If any new members register, an admin must approve them before they can post. It's obnoxious, I know, but please bear with it for now until Paul and I can make sure there aren't any more problems now that the captcha has been changed.
Phe0n1x

Post by Phe0n1x »

New Update: I have installed another Captcha type onto the boards; we'll have to take this day by day. If this blocks the bots (we've gotten 42 since we switched to reCAPTCHA), we'll be set and can turn off approval by admin. This one is quite....unique.
Phe0n1x

Post by Phe0n1x »

So far the new CAPTCHA is working so I've put the registration back to normal. Users can register as they please. If/when we get an influx of bots we'll know....
Prof. Smiles

Post by Prof. Smiles »

Hey, all.

It's just me, Smiles, your latest "new" player checking in to say hi. I'm not a bot, I swear!
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Prof. Smiles wrote:Hey, all.

It's just me, Smiles, your latest "new" player checking in to say hi. I'm not a bot, I swear!
I think you're lying.
DJ MagicHat

Post by DJ MagicHat »

Greetings and hallucinations! Straken just told me about this site, and I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Yes, he and I see each other in person. All the time. We're at the same university. S'pretty awesome.

Anyway, hope to be RPing with you guys soon! \m/^_^\m/
Straken

Post by Straken »

Yeah guys, be jealous, I have friends outside of the internet
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

I thought you were just jealous because I stole one of your outside the internet friends and made them my internet friend Straken. And also salutations and grand illusions to you good parafinn DeeJay MagiHat!
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

But, Straken, how can a short person like you have friends? You can never be picked out of a crowd because everyone is taller than you!

Also, Welcome, Hat.