[Texas] Chapter 2.1: You Shouldn't Have Come Back

The story of magic in North America.
Straken

Re: [Texas] Chapter 2.1: You Shouldn't Have Come Back

Post by Straken »

Both Ruarc and Laoise were frozen in nearly identical poses. Mid shift towards reaching for their silverware, faces turned downward somewhat as they surveyed their food, and eyes looking curiously towards Jane and Eryl. Although Ruarc did adjust his gaze towards Eleanor and the mention of the alternate religious denomination. For what it was worth, it was more or less the same degree of comfort in taking part in the prayer as he had before. More accurately, Ruarc was now more curious than anything else. He’d never been all that interested in religion, so he could only imagine if he had heard of The White before. Even his own pagan roots were more of a professional consideration than anything else; and then there was Laoise’s peculiar relationship with divinity. Shaking the stupor quick enough, Ruarc moved on to helping himself to food.

“Is that a common faith around here? Or is it something your family has passed along?” Ruarc asked as he buttered some bread.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Only concern remained in the gunslinger’s expression as she watched Eryl’s internal struggle spill into the world. It was reflex that made a steadying hand dart out and catch the abjurer by the elbow. Seeing her steady, the grip was just as quickly relinquished.

“S’okay,” Jane reassured her before turning to her mother to explain. “Yonder valley, there’s people what believe in a Man Jesus. They call im a heavenly host too. He was a good and wise man, worthy o The White as I heard it told.”

Eleanor nodded as if she was listening, but her eyes were distant and red-rimmed as she fought down emotions once more.

“Seems like ain’t more n a handful know The White by name outside. So I guess ye could say is local. But they know the power o good, an they have their own names fer it. In the Far East they still kennit as Yin, so it ain’t all gone.”

Eleanor gave another absent nod.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Jane’s touch was a mixture of incensing stimulus and soothing assurance, as Eryl settled more fully. She was still rather embarrassed about misreading the room and having gotten so carried away. So, she tried to listen intently, although she was still very distracted by her own internal turmoil. This wasn’t anything new, so it was easy to quell for the moment, as Eryl took another steadying breath.

Then, something Eleanor had said lit up a portion of the triclops’ mind like a match, and she perked up. She looked at Jane and asked her.

“I didn’t know you had any siblings, Jane.”

Eryl opened her mouth to say…

But I suppose I didn’t know about your mother either.

Finally thinking before doing, she closed her mouth, and smiled politely.
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Two siblings, at that," Laoise mused amid handling her own food. The familiar thought back to the pictures she'd looked at in the hall, but the only other child she could recall was a young boy; she hadn't seen a third child in the family portrait. "I'll admit to being curious about our resident Mysterious Stranger."

"Be careful about the sibling line of questioning. Eryl or myself can fall on that sword," Laoise cautioned Ruarc.
"Oooookay, wasn't planning on pulling that thread anyway, all yours," Ruarc thought back.

"It's certainly my first time hearing about The White. It couldn't have anything to do with the Prophet, could it? A unique sounding religion in the area, and the town over is facing a unique sounding cult. Not saying The White is the cause, so much as the Prophet is a natural derivative many religions end up facing."