[The Farm] Under Advisement, Part 2

Straken

Re: [The Farm] Under Advisement, Part 2

Post by Straken »

Determination shifted to confusion and then into panic. With an alarmed eep Willow realized she needed to react or otherwise be hit by flying metal. Reflex took over, and Willow dove beneath the table. Amid the not so mild panic she noticed that the pull lines seemed to dim once the wood was positioned between herself and the scrap. Back up top, the scrap tracked downward along the weakened pull towards the cowering Willow, but scraped and deflected off the surface. With three soft thumps the metal landed a short distance away behind the gun range. Seeing she was now safe, she scrambled quickly over to the metal, picked it up, quashed an urge to make a Gollum reference, and slapped the scrap down on the table as per Miss Smith’s instructions.

Breathing deep through her nose, she let it out slowly through her mouth. Back at it. Will focused on two more pieces of scrap, pulling one harder than the other, and considered how to best respond to both Jane shooting the scrap and now Jane not shooting the scrap.

Planting her hands flat on the table, Willow set her face in stubborn determination.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Quiet as a cat, Jane had snuck up beside her protege. Then she shoved Willow, not hard enough to topple her, but enough to make her stumble. The arc of the metal was still wide enough that Jane was likely to take a hit if she didn't move. She stared at Willow with a victimized expression, and in a very mocking and dainty tone, announced, "Oh I do declare, I seem t have found my vulnerable self in a spot o danger. Rescue me, hero!"
Straken

Post by Straken »

The situation was beyond absurd, and Willow made certain to commit the image of Miss Jane behaving like a debutante to memory; just in case it might ever come in handy. Were it not for the imminent hurtling metal she even would have liked to give the scene a proper laugh, but circumstance being what it was her hands were tied. Her mentor was making it so she couldn't just dodge like last time. If she deflected the metal by pushing it away with Steel like the first time she would get reprimanded. Ducking under the table made her lose precision and power meaning Jane could still end up getting hit. So Willow went up.

Willow dropped her Iron at the same time she threw a piece of scrap on the ground and burned Steel. With a sudden jolt that she was gradually becoming used to she launched up and into the air. Once more she found herself wanting a bit of Pewter to up her perception, but she was left to her own proficiency. So up she went, using the blue lines to track the metal, and just as the metal approached the surface Willow pushed once more. The first piece of metal struck the wood, the second went down too early into the grass, and Willow... went flying higher. The angle was oblique and if it weren't for the nice view of the ranch her stomach probably would have dropped; another feeling she was gradually getting used to.

Deep breath in. Steady breath out. With Iron Willow pulled on some of the metal brackets on the shed, and once she had a better position with three points of contact she low burned Steel. At a pace slow enough to not sprain anything, but a bit faster than leisurely, the Brit descended. With a bit of dignity, she even resisted the urge to do a hero landing. Once back on the ground, she wasted no time going back to the table, pulling on the metal that she missed, and planting it on the table; ready to try again.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Jane continued to push Willow through several more iterations until all the metal was piled on the table. She blasted pieces out of the air and shoved Willow around. Once, she threatened to tip the table in an effort to break the allomancer's concentration. Another time, No Name appeared as if on silent command and made a ruckus. The gunslinger became progressively more difficult, until eventually Willow made a mistake. Jane had thrown herself in harm's way again, but refused to hold still, and Willow cut an arc too short. The jagged metal cut Jane's sleeve and upper arm. Willow's mentor had glanced at the wound with disapproval, then called a halt.

"Thas enough fer today. Come, let's talk." She led the young girl around to the front porch. The sun was high and the heat was rising. Both were sweating, though Willow had worked hard for hers and it showed. Jane pointed to the chairs where they'd first made their deal, then stepped inside. She returned a short time later with ice cold water and a freshly bandaged arm. She took up her favorite chair, and sipped at her water in silence for a minute.

Then, "What did ye learn?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

Willow apologized once for the cut and damaged clothing, but then let that matter rest as she was sure Miss Smith knew what she was doing when she placed herself in harm's way while dealing with a rank amateur. Instead she graciously accepted the break and followed the rancher to the porch. When Jane returned from tending the cut and preparing refreshments she found Willow practically melting into the chair. Reserving one hand for fanning herself the teen used the other to collect her own water. Although after a couple sips she move it rest against the nape of her neck.

"Tha' Ah'll ne'er complain 'bout Bri'ish summers again," Willow said, a wry smile growing before taking another sip of water and leaning forward. A slow breath out through pursed lips timed Willow returning to a serious disposition.

"Thanks for the water, Miss Smith," Willow started, if simply in part to thinking back on the lesson and trying to parse down the take away. "I need to expect the unexpected; especially that blasted horse. Sitch can go South to Brighton right quick, even when I'm eight rounds in and properly knackered. I need to keep my wits, and keep myself in top form for as long as possible."

Opening her hands in a sign of resignation. "Which by doing chores I can build endurance and conditioning."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

The professor pointed to her student's arms. "Looks like we been puttin some meat on yer bones, so I'd say ye have." Jane considered her next words over another sip of water. "Ye wanted somethin real, but yer not ready fer real. Hawaii or no, ye ain't ready. Ye did well when things went sideways, or so I heard, but survivin a battle don make ye a warrior. That's trainin. That's diligence."

Then Jane sighed. "But we don get t pick all er battles. We do our best. Ye handled distraction and adjustment well. Most kids cain't jus stand next to a cannon goin off an get work done. Commendable. Yer focus n reactions are yer strong suit."

She gave Willow a quiet moment to appreciate, then pointed at the barn with her free hand. "Now, I think ye got some horses t stable fore ye get on home."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Yes, ma'am," Willow agreed before downing a couple big gulps of water. Setting her drink aside she rose and stretched as she looked around for the horses.

"Ready or not; thank you for the special training. I think it was just what I needed, and I even learned a little bit about my abilities."

She paused as she was making her way down the steps.

"I also learned you make an amusing damsel in distress," Willow said with a cheeky grin before quickly leaving the porch.