[Aside] Heading Home

Straken

[Aside] Heading Home

Post by Straken »

During the events of Two Minds

In the past Ruarc had traveled between Ireland and Japan the old fashioned way; walking, and, with time and practice, ley line travel. He had become pretty good at it, but they were inefficient. Wind step was the equivalent of a train ride, as it was leisurely, but took a couple weeks depending on his pace. Ley line travel was still fairly new to him, so the trip was taxing, and hitting his exact destination from the other side of the planet took practice. On this trip back home Ruarc was going to fly. The past few months had taken more out of him than he had realized, so he was going to relax.

The Irishman was dressed neat with comfortable grey slacks, well worn oxfords, and burgundy linen button up. He had been getting into the habit of dressing nicer when out and about, but he still felt fairly rustic compared to the other individuals in the first class lounge. He had even shaved and combed his hair. Sitting at the bar, Ruarc sipped on the first classy drink he could think of when the bartender asked him what he wanted while he waited for some dinner he had ordered. Absentmindedly swirling the vodka tonic, he considered the stroke of good luck that saw his ticket upgraded from coach. While he didn’t care enough to buy one of the expensive tickets, he was certainly not going to complain about getting some more leg room.

With still a short while left before boarding, Ruarc cracked open the book he had brought along to pass the time. Not long after he was aware of the bartender asking a new arrival for a drink order as the person took the seat directly next to his own. Opting to mind his own business, he kept reading.

“Acting aloof when an attractive woman sits next to you?” came a familiar voice that made Ruarc stop reading. “Veeeery mysterious.”

“Suddenly my ticket upgrade makes much more sense,” Ruarc said back with an amused tone as he snapped the book shut.

“Of course. I’m not going to follow you in coach,” Caoranach remarked as the bartender placed a gin with lime in front of her. She wore a slim outfit of soft looking black pants, a light grey pinstripe grey blazer with a pleated tail over top of a thin black turtleneck, and some low closed toe heels. She crossed one of her long legs over the other.

Considering a retort, the Irishman raised his glass, meeting the rim of Carrie’s with a light clink. He was going home to unwind, and for what it was worth he did enjoy her company. Besides, Ireland was home for Caoranach as well. “To going home,” he toasted.

“To meeting your mother,” Carrie responded with a wry grin.
Straken

Re: [Aside] Heading Home

Post by Straken »

The flight had gone remarkably smooth. The duo wheeled their luggage outside, and Ruarc couldn’t help but take a deep breath. The air still kind of smelled like city air, but it was Irish and he couldn’t help but bask in the sun for a moment. Cutting the moment short lest he get heckled by his impromptu travel companion, Ruarc looked over to find the fey was basking as well. Her smile was genuine. Both of them were brought to attention as a man called out to them.
From down the way, an aged man called Ruarc’s name while waving to the younger man. Grinning, Ruarc waved back before motioning for Caoranach to follow. She tagged along, but sat back a bit while he greeted what was apparently an old acquaintance. Although she didn’t remain out of the conversation as the older man peered around Ruarc. Looking wordlessly between the two, he gave Ruarc an impressed look along with a pat on the shoulder before turning and walking to a crosswalk.

“That’s Mr. O'Clery, one of the farmers just outside of town,” Ruarc said as he fell in step with Caoranach. “He’s our ride, but unless something changed in the last year, there is a catch.”

The catch, Caoranach found out, was that O'Clery’s truck was almost as old as she was. Only having room for the driver and a single passenger, Ruarc was volunteered to ride in the bed with the luggage and a young labrador that wasted no time burying itself under the young man’s arm. Back in the cab, she found O'Clery to be friendly enough, but a man of very few words. Contenting herself to watch the countryside pass by, she found she was smiling again when she wasn’t thinking about it. The truck hit a bump in the road, jostling the luggage; and a thunk against the window suggested the passenger back there was jostled as well.

“Easy up there!” could just be heard as Ruarc called against the wind; O'Clery chuckled.
Straken

Post by Straken »

It was a little over an hour between Galway and Morann. Rolling hills laced with stone walls and speckled by farm animals, glimmering lakes and streams, and the occasional copse of trees defined the trip. So when the truck trundled to a raspy stop out in front of the village’s inn Ruarc stood and stretched some aches. The lab sat by his side and looked up at him in the innocent ways only young dogs could. Making his way to the back of the tailgate he dropped it and let the dog hop down ahead of him. Once he was on the ground, Caoranach moved to stand near him as she gazed around the quaint village. Delightfully rustic, she considered changing her outfit to try and blend in a bit more.

Ruarc was helping O'Clery get the luggage out of the bed when the front door of the inn swung open. A short, comely woman dressed in a cream linen button up and a long denim skirt with an apron over top stood in the opening. She tucked an errant lock of frizzy brown hair that was beginning to grey behind her ear. When she met Ruarc’s eyes she lit up with a bright smile before moving with a brisk pace to the new arrivals. Wrapping Ruarc in a tight hug they laughed and exchanged some words as she pulled his face close enough to kiss his cheek. It was at this point that the woman seemed to finally notice Caoranach. Breaking the hug, she stepped back and inspected the fey.

“You my son’s lawyer?” she asked, her voice was warm and sounded weathered, like she had spent most of her life speaking loudly. Caoranach blinked, and must have appeared confused as Ruarc took the opportunity to step in.

“This is Carolyn Nack,” Ruarc said, introducing his companion. “She’s my… uh...”

“Girlfriend,” Caoranach interjected, stepping forward and extending her hand. “He’s bashful, you know how he can be. It is a pleasure to meet you. Please, call me Carrie.”

Ruarc looked dumbfounded as his jaw dropped a bit and his cheeks blushed a tinge. O'Clery chuckled. Ruarc’s mother seemed unfazed, save for an eyebrow raising. Carrie immediately felt as though she were being appraised. Subduing any feeling of indignation, she maintained her composure as the woman tried intimidation tactics. A couple of heartbeats passed before the inspection ended.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, dear, I’m Saoirse,” responded Ruarc’s mother, bypassing Carrie’s hand and giving her a warm hug. This in fact did catch the fey off guard, enough so that Ruarc recovered and gave a quick laugh at the look on her face.

“Now, come along you two, I’ve got a room set aside that you can use,” Mother Flynn said as she finished the hug. “Ruarc dear, grab the luggage.”
Straken

Post by Straken »

The day had been long. Between the jet lag of flying through the night and an afternoon and evening filled with old faces and revelers, he was feeling drained. People from town and the nearby countryside meandered in and out of the inn to see Ruarc, and by this point in the night Ruarc was comfortably drunk from the collection of drinks the visitors insisted on buying for him. Now he sat on an aging wooden swing on the back patio of the inn while he got some fresh air. He felt more at ease on this swing than he had felt in ages. The muffled sounds of the inn, the smell of the countryside, and the feeling of the breeze on his face soothed him. He could feel himself dozing off but didn’t do much to try and stop it.

The back door of the inn opened, the sound of footsteps came outside accompanied by the unmuffled revelry inside. Once the door closed again he could hear the footsteps approaching the swing before the individual joined him on the swing.

“Well, you look comfortable,” Caoranach said, her voice soft as she shifted close enough to lean against the Irishman. Her head rested on his shoulder, she sighed contentedly as she joined in on the comfortable dozing. The two sat like that for a time.

“Why are you doing this?” Ruarc asked, he voice slurring slightly.

“Because your shoulder is comfortable,” Caoranach responded, her own voice sounding drowsy.

“Tha’s not what’m talkin’ about,” he said back, his own head drooping to rest against hers. “Why me? You could go anywhere, so why hang around Japan with me?”

“Is it so hard to believe I actually want to spend time with you?” she said back calmly. It was subtle, but she could feel Ruarc tense up. So when he didn’t say anything she felt a pang of concern. “Ruarc?”

“You’re fey,” he was blunt. Caoranach sat up and shifted away from Ruarc enough that she could turn and look at the man.

“You… have a problem with that?” there was genuine confusion in her voice.

“No… well, not exactly,” Ruarc furrowed his brow as he actively tried to think about what to say. Sitting up from his slump, he rested his arms on his lap. “It’s, well, it’s complicated. I suppose this conversation was bound to happen eventually.”

“Did I finally find the line earlier with the girlfriend comment?” Carrie asked, her posture becoming defensive.

“No! Uh, no. I guess I was actually, well, kind of happy,” Ruarc corrected.

“So then what’s the problem?”

“You’re fey,” he said again, prompting an annoyed sigh from Caoranach who moved to stand up and leave. Ruarc grabbed her arm. “Carrie, please. What I mean to say is… Well, what I want from a relationship is stability. I want to build a life and a home with someone, and while you have been around more frequently you still disappear at the drop of a hat for weeks at a time. I don’t hold that against you. You are one of the primordial fey, you are practically a force of nature; and I wouldn’t dream of trying to change that. But…”

Ruarc’s pause was heavy as he tried to find the words to say.

“But being a force of nature contradicts building a stable life,” Caoranach finished, taking her seat again and shifting her arm in Ruarc’s loosening grip so that she was holding his hand. Ruarc squeezed her hand gently. The two sat in the muffled ambience of the inn for a time, the sound of a guest leaving through the front door being the only break in the atmosphere. “So, I suppose this trip can be a reasonable time for us to part ways.”

“I don’t want it to be be,” Ruarc’s voice rumbled as he strained against his predisposition to not talk about his feelings. “You have helped me quite a bit over the years, and while I’m sure a fair bit of it was whimsy, but I’d like to think there was some compassion in your motives. But, for right now at least, I think we should stay friends. You still have a lot to take in after your banishment, and I want to take some time to get myself straightened out. I mean, that was the entire point of my coming home. Sleep in, see old friends, enjoy some time with no responsibilities.”

“Then you have my apologies for intruding,” Caoranach said softly.

“How about,” the Irishman started, clasping his other hand over top of hers. “We use this week as a… trial run, of sorts. Ma already believes we are together together, so it’ be a little odd for me to break up with you on the first day of the trip. So, for this trip, we’re an item. What do ya say?”

“I’d say you have some guts testing fey royalty like this,” she responded, her tone blunt. Shortly after, her face softened and she smiled. “But that is one thing I appreciate about you, Ruarc Flynn.”

She leaned over and gave Ruarc a kiss that he returned in kind.

“Found the lover birds,” a man’s voice could be heard from the other side of a window facing the patio. Ruarc pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed while Carrie offered a wave and a cheeky smile to a small group of patrons who had begun to gather near the side window.

Ruarc was home.
Straken

Post by Straken »

The next morning, Ruarc woke much later than he normally would have. The sun was a fair way above the horizon, birds were singing outside his window, his head throbbed slightly from the previous night’s drinking, and Caoranach slept soundly beside him. Laughing quietly at the subtle humor of the situation in which he found himself he carefully extricated himself from the comfortable bed, got dressed, and made his way downstairs.

Ruarc’s mother was already up and finishing preparing food for the residents of the inn. She smiled warmly to her son as he entered the kitchen, and wasted no time in dishing him a hearty Irish breakfast.

“You’re an angel, mum,” Ruarc said as he took the plate and a cup of coffee out to the dining area. There were already a couple tenets eating when he grabbed a seat at the long table, and he offered them a cordial nod before taking a bit out of some lamb sausage. He barely noticed how quickly he devoured the meal, and was already most of the way done when Caoranach made her way down the stairs. She still looked half asleep when she took the seat next to Ruarc, and sure enough she leaned her head onto his shoulder and appeared to doze off again. Snorting, Ruarc scooped the last of his eggs onto a slice of toast and topped it with the last of his beans and finished the meal in one last bite. Mama Flynn made her way out to the dining room with a plate of food for Caoranach.

“Looks like you could have used another five minutes,” Saoirse chided, to which Carrie groaned.

“She takes a while to wake up,” Ruarc said back.

“Do you prefer coffee or tea, dearie?”

“I’ll take tea, please. Some Irish breakfast to go with the Irish breakfast,” the fey joked through drowsy tones.

Within moments there was a ceramic mug sat in front of Carrie as Saoirse poured some fragrant black tea from an antique kettle, and refilling Ruarc’s coffee while she was at it. Drawn to the scent, Carrie drifted off of Ruarc’s shoulder and began to fuss around the mug, adding three cubes of sugar and a splash of cream before holding the mug under her nose with a cozy smile. Humming contentedly, she sipped at the tea before turning her attention to the plate of food in front of her. She began with the black pudding.. Ruarc drank his coffee as Carrie ate her breakfast, sitting happily in the comfortable environment that had defined his childhood.

“So what’s the plan for today?” Carrie asked, finally sounding like she was mostly awake.

“Hmm? Oh, didn’t really have anything planned,” Ruarc responded. “Lounge day. There’s a game on tomorrow that’ll probably draw a crowd, but beyond that I don’t have any plans for the week.”

“I’m going to kidnap you, day after next,” she stated no differently than if she had said she was going to stop by the store.

“See, now, I know that you are simply saying you are going to take me somewhere, but the joke hits different since you have actually kidnapped me in the past,” he said as he took another sip of coffee. Caoranach simply waved her hand dismissively as she bit into some country bacon. “May I ask where we’ll be going?”

“Nope,” Carrie continued her matter-of-fact tone while gathering her dishes and getting up. She leaned in and gave Ruarc a quick kiss on the cheek. “You’ll be driving though.”

Ruarc gave a self-deprecating laugh and finished his coffee.
Straken

Post by Straken »

The day after next, Ruarc had once again woken up with a sore head following the revelry of the game the night before. One key difference was that it seemed Caoranach had got up before him. Dressing quicker now that he didn’t need to worry about waking someone, Ruarc wasted no time in heading downstairs. Sure enough, Carrie was sitting at the long table absentmindedly sipping some tea and looking over the daily post.

Perking up only once Ruarc had collected some food and joined her, Caoranach sat the paper down and focused her attention. Seems she was looking forward to the day trip.

“Your mother agreed to let us borrow her truck, in exchange for me covering the gas.”

“Ya know, I’ve wondered for a while, but how are you getting money?”

“Don’t worry, it’s legal.”

“I mean, that’s great, but it didn’t answer my question.”

“I can’t believe you don’t even know what your own girlfriend does for a living,” Caoranach decried, breaking character to giggle at the unamused look on Ruarc’s face. “Fashion design and consultation. I feel much less mysterious now.”

“Huh,” Ruarc scoffed into his coffee. “That makes sense. Seems a good fit.”

Caoranach bowed her head appreciatively.

“And still not gonna tell me where we’re going?” he asked.

“Nope,” she said with a smile as she held the warm mug of tea in both hands.
Straken

Post by Straken »

The old truck drove smoothly through the rolling countryside, and Ruarc sat with his arm up against the window. He was clothed much the way he typically was, earth tone flannel with the sleeves rolled up, well worn denim, and heavy boots. Caoranach sat quietly in the passenger seat as she watched the verdant hills come and go; she had grown quiet once they started driving, only speaking when she would offer Ruarc a new direction. The Irishman still was unsure as to where they might be heading, but he drove on diligently.

A couple of hours passed, and Ruarc came close to asking once more where they were going; after all, the route was taking them well onto the North side of the island. He held off once he saw Carrie’s face. Her eyes were cold, and her feature may as well have been carved from stone. She was serious right now. So he set his sight forward, and tightened his grip on the wheel.

It wasn’t much longer until Caoranach gave her last direction, and the truck turned down a road that was little more than tire tracks in the grass heading up and over a small rise. On the other side, the road lead down to the edge of a large, dark lake. Caoranach had her arms crossed tightly, looking cold. Ruarc hadn’t been paying attention, and the sky had grown overcast.

The end of the road simply stopped a short way up the bank from the lake. Parking the truck off to the side, Ruarc opened the old truck door. A cold wind blew in from the North Atlantic causing Ruarc to brace his hat. Second guessing himself, he tossed the hat back onto the seat; he’d rather have messy hair than lose his hat to the lake, The passenger side door creaked open and slammed in a similar manner, and Caoranach stiffly walked through the grass towards the lake. She was wearing a comfortable looking light sweater, dark colored jeans, and some fashionable boots; her hair was braided and wrapped into a bun. She seemed to shiver and shrink away from the gust blowing down across the lake. Coming up behind her, Ruarc placed a warm hand on her back, and Caoranach seemed to be bolstered by the reminder that he was present.

“Is this…” Ruarc started to ask.

“Lough Derg,” Caoranach finished. “The Dark Lake. The lake I was imprisoned in.”

Ruarc felt a shiver run through him as well as he looked out over the dark water. The winds had turned the surface into a choppy expanse of white capped waves. It smelled like a storm was going to blow in. Out near the middle of the large lake looked to be a monastery.

“Saint Patrick’s Purgatory,” Caoranach added, apparently catching where her partner was looking. “He always was a cocky bastard, so when the Church offered to build him a sanctuary, he picked none other than the spot that helped secure his Sainthood.”

“So it would seem. It even became a common site for Catholic pilgrims to seek out for centuries. Story goes `it contains a pit to Hell.”

“Works well with the story of the lake itself. Supposedly the waters are so dark because they mixed with my black blood after Patty cast me down. Welcome to one of the most evil sites in Ireland.”

“And the site that shook up my small view of the world. You’ve never told me how you got free.”

“Perhaps some day, but for now I do not wish to,” Caoranach shivered again.

“So why did you want to bring me here?”

“As you said, this site led to your entire life changing. It did the same to me. Because of this lake, and the man that used to live on that island, our lives collided; and because you don’t seem to truly believe me unless I put myself in a position that confirms how serious I am. As much as I despise this lake, I am still grateful for it. I’m happy I met you, Ruarc Flynn. And if this is to be the last time I am able to spend with you like this, then I wanted you to know that I am grateful for the mercy you showed that scared lost fey you fought ten years ago.”

“And I’m glad I met you, Caoranach,” Ruarc said, his chest aching. Running his fingers through his hair, his head seemed to be at odds with his heart. “So you are being completely serious, right now?”

“I may not tell you the whole truth, but I will never lie to you,” Caoranach replied. “What is it you wish to know?”

“I’m building a life, and would like for you to be a part of it. But, do you see yourself being able to remain stationary enough to be a part of it?” Ruarc asked, looking at Caoranach.

“I will answer that in exchange for you answering a question of mine,” she said back. “What happened with that Kaori girl from karaoke?”

Ruarc winced.

“She was nice, we got along well enough, but…” Ruarc stammered and paused.

“She didn’t call you back?” Carrie led Ruarc a bit further.

“...I didn’t call her,” he finally said.

“Now see, she was nice, apparently funny since you seemed to be laughing so much, and had a stable job and life. I think you don’t want stationary, because you aren’t stationary.”

“But…”

“No. You disappeared at the drop of a hat yourself to literally run off to the other side of the world with Ms. Smith.”

“That was…”

“No, You run off into fire to save others at a moment’s notice, routinely coming back with terrible injuries.”

“Yes, but…”

“No. You do not want stationary, Ruarc, because you yourself are not stationary.”

“But I’m….”

“No. I do not believe the incident with Percy is the last time you will drop everything to go help your friends. It is fine and admirable to want to settle down and start a life, but you are being selfish.”

“Hey!”

“No! You think you want someone stable and stationary, because that would validate and balance out the chaos you already experience in your own dealings. But you are selfishly putting the burden of stability on your partner. I am a force of nature, and you need to acknowledge that you are as well.”

“I...”

“No. I have an answer to your question. I can be stable and present enough to be a significant part of your life. I can support and comfort you, but do not expect me to change. In exchange, you need to do the same, and I will not try to change you.”

Caoranach finally relaxed back, but Ruarc looked to be processing. He had never really been spoken to like that before. She was right though. He could say he wanted to build a stable home, but he doubted the Maw would be the last time he put himself in harm’s way. As he had told the Consortium Inspector he considered dealing with errant gods to be a day at work, and he doubted he would be able to retire; by hook or by crook, Mealla would make certain Ruarc continued to perform like a good show horse. A part of why he didn’t pursue Kaori was an underlying feeling of guilt about forcing her in any capacity to deal with his life.

“Caoranach,” Ruarc finally said. She looked up and waited for what Ruarc was going to say. “You asked me two questions, so I’m going to ask you one more.”

Caoranach thought back, and hung her head when she realized Ruarc was right.

“Are we still on for tea next week?” he asked, a hand reaching up to rub his neck.

A warm smile crossed Caoranach’s face. “Of course.”

Ruarc leaned down and gave Caoranach a kiss.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Kunk

Ruarc’s head bounced against the rear window again. O'Clery chuckled and Carrie joined in at Ruarc’s expense. The week had gone by quickly, and before he had realized it the time had come to once again head back to Japan. There had been more revelry the night before as folk from the surrounding countryside came by to visit with Ruarc and Carrie once more before they left the country. Ruarc’s mother had made them an extra hearty meal before they set off in the afternoon to keep them full, so they wouldn’t need to buy the over priced airport food she had told them. Of course Saoirse had also been there to see them off. Tearfully hugging her son goodbye, and once more wrapping Carrie in her own hug as well.

One blustery ride later, a wind rumpled Ruarc and the ever prim Caoranach made their way into the airport.

“Time to head home,” Ruarc said as he squeezed Caoranach’s hand.