[Episode 0.75 v2] Class is in Session, Witches!

The story unfolds around Osaka, Japan, with the unlocking of one girl's hidden potential, and a gathering of Young mages whom are destined to change the fate of the Earth.
Gwathdraug

Re: [Episode 0.75 v2] Class is in Session, Witches!

Post by Gwathdraug »

Vrey's cheek slid across the surface of her desk as her head moved to look towards where Drysi had pulled out her work in order to be remunerated by the instructor. The strange girl's eyes lost focus and then her hairless brows quickly lowered themselves. Blowing out a jet of air, the teen crawled her fingers over to her cheek until they could pry under her face and lift it off the table - only once contact had been broken did she uncrane her spine and sit up properly. "Corrections are in needs of proffication."

The girl's monotone was slow, but still managed to be a near murmur of mumbling as she started to tap her leather clad index fingers against each other. Staring down at her fingers as they moved the girl cocked her head to the side in contemplation before a wave of green illumination seemed to seize across her veins - traveling in a circuit from the left to right side of her visible flesh once, twice.

Bringing her fingers up to the side of her head and poking at her temples seemed to snap away the small light show with a distinct lack of continued effects.

Standing up Vrey turned to Drysi and met three green eyes with the her own unworldly, normally numbered set of the same colour. Before she could open her mouth to remonstrate her compatriot for going past mark of their directions there was a dull thud as the ball of the question made contact with the door.

Turning with a surprising level of violence from the energy of motion she had shown so far, Vrey's entire body was once more alight. This time though a crackling of green energy began to dance in a nimbus around her left hand. Shaking her entire body the teen brought her green wreathed hand to her mouth and bit at the leather covering it. As she made contact the flow of magic seemed to be cut abruptly off and soon only quiet wisps - then nothing at all remained.

With the air around her cleared again and her skin flushed back into the normal stages of pigmentation, Vrey pulled her hand from her mouth and spit into it before rubbing both gauntleted palms together. Her unadorned brows set firmly down the girl jerked first her chin at Drysi, "You." and then towards Willow, "You. Both are wrong."

Without seeming to have taken steps to return to her desk Vrey slumped into her chair again. Her cheek and the rest of her upper body once more planting itself against the cool surface. "You both bit and bit and bit and swallowed. Recognition like fever to the brow than crown and making likeways to the formless fields - only persistence alone until thought bites itself to end."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Jane waited with seemingly endless patience. Drysi approached first and Jane was genuinely curious as to her formulae. A cursory glance told the instructor it was well reasoned but missed some of the more delicate details. "Excellent maths, mizz Drysi, but--" before Jane could deliver her spiel, Willow picked up the ball and chucked it at the door.

It rolled into the hall and out of sight. "Precisely, mizz Willow. Students!" She waited until they had fallen silent and fixated on her. "The point o' this class is that some things that the wakeful mind can not handle can be solved in a blink of an eye by your restful mind." She let that idea settle and saw it did not take well, so she explained.

"Picture your mind in two parts. The active, wakeful mind with your momentary thoughts and emotions. Yer cognition.

" Intuition is a function of the restful mind. It fulfills duties beyond cognition." As if on queue, a small boy no more than 12 came into view in the doorway, holding the baseball.

"uhh ma'am, is this yours?" He inquired.

Jane nodded. "Toss it here." The boy lobbed it to her and she caught it easily. "See? What took mizz Drysi minutes of hard calculation and left y'all scratching yer heads-- this boy managed in an instant. Awakening that restful mind to the forces of magic is crucial to unlocking yer potentials."

She stood, eyes searching theirs. "This is hard, cuz I cain't
jus hand y'all a script. Doin it will require exploration. Self-discipline. Discovery. My class will force y'all to exercise that quiet part o' yer mind. Any questions bout this first example 'fore we start to drill?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Well done, little Willow, that was a clever call," the voice from nowhere whispered in her ear after Miss Jane praised the young girl's solution.

With a rush of pride the bitter feeling she had from Drysi's taunt was all but forgotten, and she straightened her posture, clasped her hands in front of her, and gave a courteous bow to the instructor. As she turned to return to her seat, she gave a curt "Hmph" to Drysi as she passed by. Taking her seat once more she smiled a genuine smile at Kat. "I may not have magic just yet, but seems I can still contribute."

Willow had always been the adventurous one in her group of friends, and she trusted her gut feelings second to none. A class focused around intuition could be her place to shine, up until she had some actual mean of being able to contend with the mages who seemed to already have at least a basic grasp on their craft.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

What? That's stupid!

Drysi fumed as she was not only berated, but proven wrong. She had misinterpreted the task at hand, and was a bit embarrassed she had even attempted to bring reason into this quickly forming mad house. Perhaps it was wrong of her to expect reason in a place of magic, but her parents and family had always seemed to have such an orderly way with presenting it. Vrey and Willow upset her immensely; Vrey because of her oh-so-forward way of simply writing off her expertly written equations, and Willow...

Willow was just some druidic brute. At the very least, Vrey seemed to have an excuse for being weird, she seemed misguided. Willow, on the other hand, had picked an inferior path, and failed to recognize constructive criticism when it was lobbed her way so lightly. She looked over her shoulder at the girl Willow sat with, Katarina. The two seemed friends, which meant she was complicit of the druidess, which meant she didn't like her either, perhaps save the fact she had an interesting school path.

Then that Hmph. Ooooh that steamed. She would not let that go. First, she inched her desk away from Vrey a bit more, and then threw a cutting, haughty remark over her shoulder.

"I suppose if we need someone to play fetch in the future, we'll know who to call."

At that, came Drysi's own hmph, before turning her attention forward, trying to appear the rapt student, despite how little she comprehended the current subject. There seemed to be critical thinking involved, but the straightforward nature of the solution confused her. She raised her hand, "Ms. Jane! I have a question. I still don't quite understand how I was wrong."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Jane cocked a lopsided smile. "Mizz Drysi, y' ain't wrong. Well, some missin numbers, but ye on the right track. No, this ain't bout right n wrong. S'about unnerstandin the value of intuition. When y'all playin sports, y' don have time t' siddown n' do the maths. But..."

She tossed the ball up and caught it with a swipe of her opposite hand. "With practice, y' intuition's strong enough to do it all fer ye. Thass why we here. So when y'all find yeselves in a critical moment, ye'll have the reflexes to save ye life, and maybe someone else's to boot.

"Clear as a bell for ye, mizz Drysi?"
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"I don't understand, how are we supposed to train something like that?" asked Drysi quizzically. The concept was becoming clear, but the execution of it at this point was still lost on her. Her mind still laid upon books and the academic end of things. She could accept that her very right answer being the wrong one for the situation, but the notion Ms. Smith was getting at was a bit lost on her. At that, she inched another bit away from Vrey for good measure.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

"So then," Katerina began, straightening herself to appear more attentive than prior, "Does that mean this class is going to be more practical than academic?" Clearly, with the first example being to literally throw a baseball, there would likely be more of the practical aspect, but, as there had been no book assigned for this class, the blonde was unsure as to whether or not there would be any actual Scholastics involved in Intuitive Scholastics.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

"How? With practice and instruction, mizz Drysi. Catch." She lobbed the ball high to scribe, then rose from her seat. "Yes, mizz Katerina. S'pose ye could say issa critical thinkin class wi' some performance tests." Her eyes scanned each of them again. "It'll be a class y'all ain't 'customed to. I'mma ask ye t' do thengs. They will frustrate y'all. Ye likely ain't gonna see the point right away. Y'all gon get mad at me, think I'm crazy, et cetera, et cetera. So I'mma lay some ground rules."

She spun to face the board and collected a piece of chalk. Miss Smith wrote as she spoke. "One: do exactly as I say. If ye don't match my p'rameters, we ain't gon make the requisite progress. Two: No whinin. S'not productive. Three: No askin what's the point or anythin like that. Thass like askin for the answer. Ye'll get it when we get there." She stepped back to appraise her own writing and nodded, satisfied.

"Oh! And one more thing." Jane faced the students. "Class is once a week. Usually. If I add 'r drop a day, I'll send y'all a missive. Erry week y'all gon have least one bit o' homework. Go out 'n learn one interesting fact. None that borin' drivel: hollow bones in birds, or leylines or summat. No. Interesting. Any questions on all that?" The cowgirl looked between them and waited for the inevitable breaking of rule three.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The ball went high, and so did Drysi's attention, her eyes widened as the ball came back down to her. There seemed a momentary glimpse of panic on her face as her hand went up into the air helplessly. Her hand opened in what appeared to be a feeble attempt to catch the missile. Then it fell... right into her palm, her thin fingers wrapping around it with little trouble.

Fact: Triclops have excellent depth perception, no one knows nor dares to explain why.

"Do we have a particular criteria for interesting besides that?" asked Maelgwyn, who was one who liked to draw leylines on maps as a fun little hobby. "How are we being graded on these facts? How much is homework weighed?"

Are the other teachers as hare-brained as you?
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Vrey wanted to keep her head down - wanted to continue to register the solace of her chosen posture of a sprawl about her desk. Despite this, more than a few of the muscles in the teen's back had begun to twitch and the beat-constant spasms were beginning to itch in a manner that was inacceptable.

She and Caradoc both had communicative excursion for one and each other that weren't always limited to their verbal link. They also were both slowly coming of a mind to snap down and tear into the unapproached conceit of the class they were now entangled in.

Unfolding her spine in a slow lift the strange girl glared at her desk before dragging her arms off of it in a dispirited slump.

Her head rolled minutely to the side as her eyes found their way across the room to lock gaze with Jane. "You have made the specification: One: do exactly as I say." Vrey's uninflectioned voice repeated the rough manner of Jane's pronunciation when she repeated the teacher's words, but did very little for the spirit. "Even before ushering in this statement you, in body manner, had introduced it as our consideration. If this claimation is your style - why-" Vrey snapped her attention to her left, looking not at Drysi but the baseball that was perched between her fingers. "-speak: First lesson! Y'all work together on this 'un."

Vrey trailed her vision to her hands - where her leatherclad fingers had begun to play and twist off from the tips of one and another. Some things were difficult for the teen and having the teacher before her invalidate her number one rule by her own lack of care towards how students managed her first lesson had made itself so.

"Both answers wronged themselves through intent. Even if the tail did liken to its actions correctly, when the head did not, each was a seeker for sole recognition. In head, in tail, in forgotten body, repudiation should have reacted as action in full."