Sunny, with a chance of Heartache.

This is a space for in-character events that do not occur within the line of duty and/or did not fit into the "Daily Life" section as it played out. Threads herein are meant to supplement character development and flesh out the setting elements, but are not necessary to understanding the plot or characters involved. These events are to be considered canon unless otherwise noted.
Kai
Site Admin

Sunny, with a chance of Heartache.

Post by Kai »

Theme music

While most of the the crews of the ships celebrated the success of the Dracharia Letima Mission, there were those who chose instead to mourn. Many lives had been lost, either in fighters or in the ship. The fleet had not been unscathed, and many of the smaller, older ships had taken heavy damage or were outright destroyed. Several were being towed, and the Hymn's hangar bay was jam-packed full of fighters, bombers, and corvette-class ships. Several more squadrons had been rendered homeless by losses, but altogether, the destruction of the second Demonix, along with removing the Drathonian's greatest shipyard from the immediate picture brought joy and hope to many Terrans.

Three of the Hymn's squadrons, and a couple on the other Terra Class ships, however, could only grieve. What was supposed to be their finest hour resulted in the loss of some of the finest of their number. Whether they were disliked, such as Red Squadron's Albania, or liked, as the members of Teal squadron were, or, to a few, the Loved had been lost, with Steven's heart bursting after having been swollen with joy, with the death of Rhiannon. They now mourned.

An hour after the Battle, the squadrons had been shuffled out of the hangar and into a recreation bay, one of many, where they could have a more private atmosphere. The door hissed open, Pneumatic systems causing the metal aperture to retract, and one man walked in. Old, with a worn, wrinkled, yet kindly face, he clanked in with a cane and what appeared to be a slight limp. It was the same man that had spoken to many of them prior to the Mission: Istvan Villanovich Plutanovicz.

He looked over the gathered, noting that Teal squadron had been shuffled into the same room as Green and Red squadrons. However, he didn't hesitate- the scimitar squadron could also use what the scientist was about to offer, in any case. The old man, despite the fact that everyone was already looking at him, cleared his throat for attention, and then began speaking. "I offer to you all, My condolences. For those of you who haven't personally lost anyone today, It may not mean much, ad for those that have lost the most, it probably means even less. However, I do believe that you've earned something. I can, for a while, take you to another place, where you will not have to worry, where the war does not exist, and where you can relax, and wind down from all the struggle and stress you have been put through. Anyone who wishes, even if it's for just a little while, to be distracted from this world, please, step forward, and then we can begin a process which I hope can be healing."
Straken

Re: Sunny, with a chance of Heartache.

Post by Straken »

Steven’s tears had come and gone, and he now leaned silently against the wall of the room. He had not spoken a word since landing, and his pilots gave him space. With distant eyes he simply stared off into oblivion. Having moved through the stages of denial, anger, and sorrow, Steven now resigned himself to grief.
To the Captain, it seemed like there was no one else in the room with him. There was just a dull hum as his senses continued to pick up information but his mind refused to process it. He wasn’t really sure how much time had passed since he had landed, or how long he had been standing there in that room.
With a feeling of sympathy, Fred was standing next to his friend the entire time. Even if Steven did not acknowledge Fred’s presence, the Irishman could speak from experience that having a friendly soul nearby would help a great deal.
“Everyone has lost someone to this war at some point,” Steven said in a dry and raspy voice after almost an hour of solemn silence. “I guess it was just my turn.
“I had moved on since Rhia and I broke up, but getting to speak to her again after so long…it was…I….I don’t know. I hadn’t thought about getting back together with her, so her death…” Steven started but paused as he choked up a bit. “She was my best friend; probably my first real friend. Now that she is gone, I just feel like I took her for granted. I felt that she was always out there somewhere, all I would have to do is send her a message. I never did that though. Not once since joining Green Squadron. I had become so preoccupied with my career that I just lost track of time, and now I realize how much I missed her. But now I can never send her that message.”
Fred simply stood where he was. Having nothing to say in response he chewed thoughtfully on a toothpick as he thought about Cassy. All things considered, it was the least he could do to let Steven use him as a source of venting. After Steven’s burst of activity, he soon fell silent again as he drifted back inside his mind; back to his days at the academy and his study sessions with Rhiannon and all of their friends.
It wasn’t until Istvan entered the room that Steven took notice of the outside world once more. He listened as the old man spoke, but the words were hollow to him. However he still took action.
“I’ll take you up on that offer,” Steven announced as he walked towards the scientist.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Teal Squadron, unsure of why the were being lumped in with Red and Green, stayed utterly quiet their way to the recreation bay. Most of them were hurting on the on the inside from the lost of friends. Miyuki was desperately fighting back a heavy wave of tears as she thought back on the time she had spent with her friend Maria. When Miyuki had first come on the Hymn, the bubbly Japan-born was obscenely shy until Pilot Alenzo pulled the bubbly out of her, and the two had become fast friends. Allison was keeping a straight pace as she walked through her sobs, trying to forget the loss of her childhood friend Sarah. Squadron Commander Kanon Fodier was taking deep, hearty sips of alcohol from his flask, deepening a haze that could never become more impairing than a buzz thanks to his cybernetic liver. He had been Teal Squadron's commander since the wing's formation, and despite his words and ignorance, he felt every loss.

Yet, no one hurt more than Betty Donahue. Hilda Donahue was not only a pillar for the squadron's morale, when Fodier's antics became no longer entertaining, but she was also the elder sister of Betty. When the bombs fell, Hilda was the one who cared for her little sister. They had entered the military together, in hopes of making a better universe for each other and those they cared for. Late nights would be spent planning those dream homes on a revitalized Terran planet, settling down, making families; it gave both of them hope. Now, that hope was gone, torn from the younger sister in a single moment.

When she had crawled out of her cockpit, Betty spoke to no one, and shed no tears. What she did was keep a fervent and shaky pace as she went, trying to be strong, to honor her sister. That was until she spotted Hetzer, who had already slapped his toboggan over his baldly shaved head, beard abound and full. She remembered what she had mentioned she had wanted to do when they had gotten back. So she approached him and promptly grabbed his beard, and gave it a tug, giving a short laugh. The pull had made Hetzer a little uncomfortable at first, what with Betty managing a smile despite what had happened. It didn't last, though, as she tugged at Hetzer's beard once or twice again, as the forcibly smiling face shook into a pained sadness that eventually crumbled into wracking sobs.

When Teal had arrived, they took a small spot to the edge of the two elite flight groups, and sat silently to the side. Hetzer sat, hugging Betty in to let her continue a muffled sobbing. Elfriede stood behind the two of them encompassing both Hetzer and Betty in her arms. The remaining women of Teal all seemed to bundle up around the bearded man, comforting each others sorrows. When Istvan entered, their attentions went up to him, even the dirty Fodier, who sat apart from his squadron.
The old man, despite the fact that everyone was already looking at him, cleared his throat for attention, and then began speaking. "I offer to you all, My condolences. For those of you who haven't personally lost anyone today, It may not mean much, ad for those that have lost the most, it probably means even less. However, I do believe that you've earned something. I can, for a while, take you to another place, where you will not have to worry, where the war does not exist, and where you can relax, and wind down from all the struggle and stress you have been put through. Anyone who wishes, even if it's for just a little while, to be distracted from this world, please, step forward, and then we can begin a process which I hope can be healing."
Relax? thought Hetzer, looking at the man from below the edge of his toboggan. I don't think I'm really worth that right now. He looked down at Betty, who looked up at him. The look in her eyes seemed to consider it, but she just sit back in her chair, separating herself from Hetzer for a moment before offering a barely-audible "Thanks."

At that moment, Hetzer felt a hand grab the back of his collar, a very strong hand. It sent him forward in line with Steven.

"I'da take 'dat boy right 'deh iffn' I was you, boss'a. He dun' lost two squadron's worth'a buddies, n'he juss' loss'a fo' mo'." explained Kanon Fodier, taking another sip from his flask. That was when he grabbed Betty's collar, and threw her forward as well, making her near land on her face. "Take'er too, she dun' losta' wits, she gunna' need some'a dat' frilly foopah you offerin'." Then, Kanon went back to sit down, his squadron sitting agape at his actions.

Hetzer and Betty however, only nodded at Istvan, obviously accepting the offer. The rest of Teal seemed a little hesitant.
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Red Squadron as a whole seemed to be holding their breathes, Istvan's offer wasn't something you got much in the Terran military, especially when you were part of one of the first class units – they were simply too important to the war effort to be sent off-duty very often.
There was also their commander, all the pilot's eyes – except for the second in command as Poland was standing besides Siberia – were glued to the Red Lead. So far the signs had been positive as while Jan had brought his customary packet of post-battle reports to read before the meeting they had remained in stuffed in a coat pocket and he had payed more than just respectful attention to the scientist's offer.
Now, after listening to Fodier speak and parsing through what had been supposed to be English, Siberia smiled and even let a little chuckle exit his mouth. Having made up his mind the grey haired Squadron Leader stood up and gave his men a warm smile.
“Boys, I don't have to read these,” Jan pat the pocket containing the reports as he spoke. “to know that we – and the whole damn fleet did a fine job with this operation. Most of us are alive and while we personally didn't take as grievous losses as others, we did lose a man and he – despite the problems Aleksander brought to us and had with us – was part of Red Squadron. Besides that, we never did properly celebrate being added on to the Hymn, and a fine ship like her deserves a proper party, on that I think we can all agree.”
Done with his talk to his men, Siberia stood and saluted Istvan. “Not to break the trend Sir, Red Squadron humbly accepts your offer.”
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

Just what was he supposed to say? His new squadron leader was now a tired and broken man. The other squadrons were shattered into pieces, their remains being brought here. As for John himself? One of the people he knew since training, Javier, was likely not going to make it out alive; just pulling him out of the broken and mangled Saber was hard enough already. But Rhiannon? She was gone. John had always been the big brother in his family. The one who watched over everyone. The one who...Christ; he was dead too.

Had to be, for hell to be set loose on them like this. Rhiannon had let him know, even if it was just a taste, what it was like to be the younger one. She let him know what it was like to look up to someone, depend on someone who was more than a friend. And she was gone too. John risked a glance at Steven; Rhiannon had always spoken highly of him, and it was only now that he got to meet the man. But what in God's name was he going to say? That he felt his loss too? Johnathan was always one for cheesy moments, but right now, it would have been complete bullshit.

The new pilot nodded to Istvan's offer; the man who was father to so much of Terran technology. The man who let the person he considered his older sister live for just a few more moments. Long enough to deliver them to another, brighter, day.

And their Savior was dead.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Arcadia was none too pleased. When a soldier's- or even a Pilot's- commanding officer breaks, it's a dark moment. That source of strength, that well of inspiration, that pillar of fortitude is shaken and cracked. With time it may return to what it once was, but not for a long time- time that a fighting force doesn't have. So Pilot Langdon was becoming slightly depressed until Istvan showed himself. Then she was beginning to anger yet again, but such whimsical emotions were short-lived when he explained his reasons for coming to them.Arcadia strode forward with her commanding officer to accept the offer, glancing briefly at Steven before refocusing on the extremely aged scientist. "I'd like to as well." She was still feeling awkward in the moment- on the one hand, she wished to see Steven lighten up, but on the other she wished very much to reach out and console him herself. She wasn't one to sit back and just let things be, but this was neither a good place nor good time to approach him about the matter. If anything, accepting this offer was just a way to keep an eye on him and help her settle her own uncertainties all in one fell swoop.

Ruze, while a man of stolidity, was never one to pass up the opportunity to get away from war, and would have spoken up if not for Siberia saying yes for the entire squadron. He offered his CO a nod and an understanding smile in thanks. You couldn't go wrong flying with a Pilot and leader like Jan.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Fred didn’t really pay too much attention to Istvan. A temporary escape from reality didn’t sit too well with the Irishman, and he would have disregarded it entirely if not for Steven. As he mulling the thought over in his head Arcadia and several other pilots had already spoken up and volunteered. He began to growl quietly as his next course of action was decided for him.
“If the Cap’n’s going, then you can count me in on this little romp through Wonderland,” Fred said in a very gruff ton as he walked up to take his place next to Steven and Arcadia.

An hour had passed since the battle, and Sean was finally settled down and relaxed. He was sitting quietly in a chair off to the side of the bridge reading the summary of the engagement. The mission was overall a textbook victory with the primary objective having been completed with casualties within acceptable ranges. He read the report three times before setting it down and grabbing his cup of coffee.
“Well Admiral Evelyn, how’d I do? Not too shabby for a old man just out of retirement, eh?” Sean asked as he leaned back in his chair with a heavy sigh.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Emma stepped forward as well. While the battle hadn't personally put any losses on her, the young pilot was still feeling the stress of constant repeated sorties and battles, with no real break in between. Besides, she wanted to go with Arcadia, and didn't want to be left alone. Though sobered by the captain's loss, she was still in a fairly good mood from the success of the mission, and kept quiet to try and keep her own actions from seeming out of place with all the heartache.

Istvan stood, watching those that stepped forward to go. "Well then. if this is all that are coming, then we should bee off. Please follow me now." was all he said, turning on his heel and walking out of the door. He continued walking, for possibly ten minutes, before arriving at a smaller room than the one they had been in before. It appeared to be a staging area of some kind, with lockers, containing what appeared to be the standard counterpressure suits every Terran soldier wore to give them a greater chance of survival in case of decompression, except these ones were crossed with small wires along the surface, as well as round discs near what the more medically knowledgeable would notice were nerve centers across the suit. Istvan pointed to them all, and then to stalls on the other side of the room, before speaking again. "I need you to change into these suits. don't worry about the size, they will make themselves fit you. Once you've all changed and left your gear in the lockers, we shall go through the next door and I'll explain further."

"Your performance was quite exceptional for one who is not linked directly to the computer. You know much more than I do about the management of the fleet, and I have learned a lot in the battle." Evelyn answered, eying the old man. She stood up, and walked over to the older Admiral, giving him a perfect salute. "I have been called to attend to some business by Istvan, I believe that you are more than capable of handling the bridge without my physical presence. The Hymn herself can help you, though not quite as personally as I can." With that, the AI Gynoid left the bridge, her heavy boots making the familiar clomping noise every Terran did while walking on a metal surface, until she made the hallway, and the carpet dulled the noise to less than a thud.
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Well, guess that’s our cue,” Steven said as he turned to his three wingmen who decided to come as well. “No sense dillydallying, is there?” With that Steven strode over to a locker, taking the suit, and then heading to a stall to change. Once inside the stall, he glanced over the suit to try and get an idea for what was going on. Coming up with nothing, he stripped down and managed to find his way inside the suit as he finished putting it on. It was a fairly snug fit; Steven felt constricted for a few brief moments, but to his surprise it soon became more comfortable to the point where he didn’t even notice it.
“Next,” Steven announced as he stepped out and walked over to the wall to wait. As he stood there he had an odd burst of memory from his days back on Ovid, and found himself feeling like it was swimming day in PE class.
Fred was close behind Steven and took an adjacent stall. The Irishman stared at the suit in dismay as it appeared he had grabbed a rather small one without realizing it. “They always look bigger on the rack,” he thought to himself. Fred stripped down to his scibbies and did his best to squeeze into his suit. It was almost suffocating him by the time he got it on, and took a relieved breath as the suit readjusted itself.
“Well, tha’ was uncomfortable,” Fred mumbled as he meandered out of the stall and joined Steven in waiting.

“Hmm, well what now?” Sean asked himself as he watched Evelyn leave. “The boy is probably resting right about now after the battle. In fact that isn’t such a bad idea.” Allowing himself a bit of a rest, the old man sank back into his chair and drifted into a light sleep.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Ah... So, we all have to change right here?" said Betty meekly, looking around at the majority of the men in the room. The ratio had made her fairly uncomfortable, especially with the fact that she changed with mostly women, usually. The only other males she changed out with were Hetzer and Kanon, and Fodier was never one to leave well enough alone. She looked up at Hetzer, almost in a little-sister to big-brother fashion thanks to his size, her eyes had a pleading look. Hetzer sighed, and pulled off his flight-jacket.

"I've got you." he said, much to the relief of Betty as she grabbed one of the suits and went over to a locker. Hetzer held up the jacket, effectively hiding most of her body away from the other two squadron groups, and she began to change.

"Thanks Hetz..." she said passively, taking her clothes off and trying into squeeze her body into the suit. She took note of Hetzer's fairly discerning eye as she transitioned from one uniform to another. "You know, you could at least pretend you're not looking."

"You girls never minded it before our last two missions." Hetzer reminded her, arching one of his bushy brows at her.

"Yeah, but there are other guys around,that makes it feel kinda'... dirty..." went Betty as she inhaled sharply, the suit securing tightly to her skin. After a few seconds, she looked up at Hetzer and smiled. "Okay, I'm done."

"Alright, I think I'l--" started the pilot, before he felt a hand poke in his back. When he turned to look at who it was, he saw the small-statured Miyuki, the full-featured Allison, and the almost-as-tall-as-him Elfriede. The were all giving the same expectant stare that Betty had given him. Hetzer sighed, "Okay Miyuki, you're first."

"Arigatou..." said the downcast girl, still stricken by her friend's death. It seemed that Hetzer was going to have to do this for each of them before he suited himself up.