[Chapter One] Flight of the Bellicose

The first lines of attack and defense in space, Fighters are essential to the safety of a fleet of starships, acting as both a shield and sword, Fighter squadrons can win or lose a battle for their much larger motherships.
Straken

Re: [Chapter One] Flight of the Bellicose

Post by Straken »

Steven smirked as he watched his squad go about their preflight tasks with their own unique way. “I swear I lead a squadron of high-schoolers sometimes,” Steven joked to himself as he climbed up onto his own Saber, The Wyvern. With one last look out across his squadron’s fighters, the squadron leader slide on his helmet and latched it into place before hopping down into the cockpit of his fighter. Having already taken care of his preflight checks prior to the briefing, Steven gave one more look over the readings as he shut the canopy. The hiss of the airtight seals engaging marked Green Lead’s completion of his checks.

“Alright Green Squadron, just over thirty seconds before the Hymn exits warp,” Steven said to his wingmen over the comm channel. “That means we launch in two minutes. Finish any checks you have left, and follow my lead. Now here’s hoping for some favorable flying.”

Fred followed the lead set by the other and climbed up onto his fighter The Claidheamh Mòr. In a leap from the edge, the Irishman dropped himself down into his cozy cockpit where he flipped a switch here and there to complete his own pre-flights. After fully fastening his helmet down he cued his comm as he spoke to Arcadia to provide a belated response. “Come now, Arcadia. Ah’m not vulgar all of the time. Besides, you can’t tell me tha’ you don’t enjoy the banter that you an’ I can get going,” the Irishman said as he joked lightly with his fellow pilot.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Arcadia rolled her eyes. "You are nothing but vulgar when the pretty ladies around- which as far as I'm concerned is all the time," her voice lilted playfully with the boast. "Besides, I don't think you could define banter, let alone keep pace with my wit." A1C Langdon smirked.

Challenge declared.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Tucked inside his nice cozy cockpit, Fred was laughing silently to himself as he got his pre-flight dose of humor from his fellow pilot. “Oh, you say that I am the vulgar one? Now tha’s funny,” Fred said as he began his retort. “How’d Ah greet our new squad member? Oh yeah, I said her human form looked very nice, despite it being different from what Ah was expectin’. Then there’s you an’ your sexy strange bit. If anythin’ Ah’d say you’re in fact more vulgar than Ah am, Li’l Lady Langdon.”

Challenge reciprocated.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

"You hit on her and implied she would be ugly. I started off with a compliment! But I'm afraid we have to go to judges for this one, Fair Fred. Aurora: who do you feel has been most vulgar to you in your brief time with our squadron?" This was it: moment of truth! If the Ottyo sided with her, Arcadia's status as queen bee would remain unchallenged and Fred crushed. If not, Arcadia would lose her figurative high ground when it came to her verbal forays with the Irishman.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Aurora smiled as two of the Squadrons pilots seemed to be bickering over who's greeting was the best, but, when prompted, Aurora's answer was probably a surprise. "I must say, actually, that Mr. Haverthorn's greeting was better. It was clear and truthful, both traits of which are admirable. Besides, I find Killinger to be a rather Handsome, if a bit plain, member of my species, so his expectations of me were taken as a compliment."

Having settled that, Aurora took the time to wait for the Mission to start, calmly checking everything over a second time, just in case. After all, prudence dictated that it was better to be safe than sorry when a mistake could mean the end of your life- and that just wouldn't do, as Aurora had only just begun her mission, and didn't want to have to make the principality go through the effort of preparing another Liaison so soon.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

"Fine, his was better- and for the record I was being completely truthful, and I thought it was a pretty clear message- but that's not what I asked: who has been more vulgar?" After that run-on sentence, Arcadia took a deep breath to compose herself and settle the nerves that were getting anxious.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

Beryl stretched and made herself comfortable in the cockpit of her new, yet unnamed fighter. As with keeping with her older sister's image, her previous fighter's paint job was mostly marred by the rough use and abuse associated with her love - however, since she was transferred to a new squadron, it only made sense she start off fresh. Nothing like the new ones after all. "With all due respect sir, at the very least one of us is old enough to just be finishing up her last year of highschool," she replied to Steven's almost resigned observation - following the textbook, what she said and how she said it sounded professional, but, her words and voice left an inkling feeling. "Would you have us all act like old, grumpy and jaded adults?"

"I mean, isn't youthful vigor more handy Master Sergeant?" Beryl asked, grasping her hands around the control sticks firmly.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Umm..." Allison began, her face still somewhat tucked behind the edge of her cockpit. Her granny smith green eyes watching all of them as they went back and forth, seemingly arguing with one another. The pensive looking woman stared at the edge of her operational area in her nameless fighter. Her eyes followed along to the emergency eject, and mentally wished she could pull and be sent back to her old squadron. All of her friends from basic had been in her old squadron, it had been much easier to speak to people when she had Betty, Elfried, and Miyuki backing her up. Now? Now she found that social situations were hard.

The more she stared at the others, the more she realized just how quiet and silent she had been for most of her military career, never noticed on anything save for that curse thing on her backside. She couldn't have that happen this time around, she needed to make herself known, otherwise she'd just make her friends worry.

"Umm!" Allison sputtered, speaking almost too loudly at first before trying to tone back her volume some, "Ca-can't w-w-we just all g-g-get along?"
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Aurora chuckled. "I think that you were the more Vulgar, actually, Miss Langdon. I'm still not entirely certain as to the meaning of 'Sexy Strange' But at least I can be certain that Sergeant Haverthorn was paying me his compliments." It was about then that another voice was heard over the comms- "Ah, Miss Taggart, I think you have taken this discussion for an argument. At least, I perceive this discourse to be as such. Do not worry overmuch, we have likely come to a conclusion."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Arcadia sighed dejectedly off the mic. When she came back, it was to say, "Well it was intended a compliment in any case." Conclusion reached, as Aurora had put it. Langdon had only to wait for the launch sequence now, and wait (impatiently) she did.