[Episode One] Gateway of Hopes

This archive contains the original story as it appeared on gaia, This is our main story, and what BHotR as a whole started from and builds off of. The setting has gone through many changes, and so the story has many inconsistencies. You can, in this forum, see the evolution of the story and its players as we went from a simple roleplay began in 2006.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Re: [Episode One] Gateway of Hopes

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Garrett was just as excited as everyone else, but for all the wrong reasons and in all the worst ways. He saw those ships and knew they would either be forced to hold the station until reinforcements arrived- or, if they were lucky, retreat and come back for a second assault. Either way, the squads led by Hendlow and Nakamura were in some deep shit.

"Simmer down," he ordered in a placid tone. "This is a victory, but it isn't the war." He then pointed to the screen. "Sergeant Nakamura, contact the Kurogane and request new orders. My squad: it's time for booby-trapping one-oh-one." He led them to the doorway and taught them quickly. They learned to rig their grenades like landmines and tripwires and something the demolitions expert liked to call 'hollies.' Like hollies, they would be placed above or on a doorway, and were activated by the opening of such doors. Of course not every doorway or body could be trapped due to their 'shortage' of grenades, so the squad placed the explosives with an emphasis on defending the control room and keeping the Drathonians on their toes.
Phe0n1x

Post by Phe0n1x »

"But sir, I'm out of grenades. Also, I could use a new belt, I seem to have lost mine," stated Hector jokingly. He checked his weapon over for any damage and made a rage-ridden request, "any large weapons laying around? I mean, LARGE WEAPONS, ones as large as me! This puny shit isn't gonna cut it. This thing feels like a twig and hits like a soft warm winter breeze! Now where's my damn cigar...."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Ah! Booby-traps, my favorite trap t'get caught in, eh heh heh heh." chuckled Asher as he rigged a grenade at another door while waiting for Hendlow's next order. The trap he had been working on had become difficult to set so he slipped his knife out of it's shoulder sheath, giving it a dextrous flip as he beg setting a piece in place. His blade was chipped on the sides through extensive use, and the hand-guard seemed to be bent several times, but the edge, which sharpened down more than most knives, was deadly sharp.
[Hector] checked his weapon over for any damage and made a rage-ridden request, "any large weapons laying around? I mean, LARGE WEAPONS, ones as large as me! This puny shit isn't gonna cut it. This thing feels like a twig and hits like a soft warm winter breeze! Now where's my damn cigar...."
"You got y'certs f'a big gun? 'Cause they don't give y'stuff unless y' shiny profile don' got no certs." asked Asher, looking over his shoulder as he carefully set the trap jut for a moment before he turned back over, carefully, and meticulously placing his destructive piece. Being an engineer of sorts himself, Asher had times when he was exact and precise. "Y'also gunna' need y'cigar cert f'ya cigar, juss' like Naka-boss needs 'is blonde cert f'bein' blonde, Hind-boss needs 'is barkin'-cert t'bark all ova' tha' place, an' Pancake needs'r flat-cert t'be flat."
Phe0n1x

Post by Phe0n1x »

Hector chuckled, "Aye, I've got my certs for the heavy weapons, at least. Why do you think I'm so damn big? As for cigar certs, couldn't give a damn. I'm gonna smoke 'em in the midst of battle whether I can or not. Helps me kill the bastards better, at least that's what I tell myself. You got a light?"
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Eh..." Asher grunted, rubbing the edge of his helmet, giving Hector a sheepish grin. "Eva' since tha' lego incident, I ain't allowed t'handle any accelerants, casta's, or any otha' device remotely related t'fire wit'out a H.O. cert."
Phe0n1x

Post by Phe0n1x »

"That's a damn shame. If and when I find my extra one, I'll give it to you. To hell with certs. A man has to have four things: a big fuggin knife, a full butane lighter, a nice gun, and a good cigar. Then he's set to go into battle. A nice lookin' girl is a plus too, but sometimes you don't find too babes who love war and destruction as much as us men. Luckily, there's a few to pick from here. Ah-HA! There's my fire starter." As he lit his cigar he bellowed, "ALRIGHT, LET'S DO THIS SHIT!"
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

Cibo silently sulked as their little piece of the operation got easy for the time being. The quiet before the storm so to say. Still, she wondered why in hell she was even here; all she had to do was hand the commands and passwords over to Nakamura, who then was able to get the damn gate working all on his own. And not only that, but they pretty much had her running around like any other marine and wanted her to fight like any other marine! Intelligence Agents were supposed to be all about Intelligence! Why wasn't she being deployed to gather data, scout or hack systems? It wasn't like she was even needed at the moment either, Cibo thought as she sat on one of the chairs in the control room, legs crossed.

"Ohhh, why do all the men here have to be so small?~" the Intelligence Agent moaned as the marines talked about overly large weapons and cigars.

They had to be compensating.
Last edited by CadetNewb on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

"It seems the Kurogane wants us to hold the control room until reinforcements arrive via shuttle." Sergeant Nakamura informed Hendlow. "So it seems like asking them for orders was somewhat unnecessary, aside from them reminding us that it might take as much as fifteen minutes before shuttles even arrive at the Gate from Hymn." The blonde officer slipped his helmet off and ran his gloved fingers through his hair, before looking around, and speaking directly to everyone.
"Looks like we've got ourselves a turkey shoot here today. We've got a well-defended area with prety good cover and they'll be coming at us by the dozen. Target rich-environments always were my favorite anyway." he began, before looking at Cibo, who seemed to be wallowing in some kind of pit of self-despair or something.

"Malinowski, I need you to get your skinny ass up in the vents and scout down the starboard hallway- Briggs, Could I borrow you for the port vents? Seems you've already been in them anyway."

Destiny, somewhat involved in watching (and helping) booby trap the hallway outside the door, came to attention when Nakamura called to her, snapping to for a moment before relaxing and turning to Hendlow. "Sir, Shall I? I'm a scout by trade anyway, and it will be good to get a lead on our enemies."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

"Any order from Nakamura is an order from me, Briggs," Hendlow answered softly. It was clear he would stand by any decision made by his colleague. "Everyone, back into the control room. We have a bit of planning to do before we deliver these lizards back to their scaly gods." He led the march back to Kai's squad.

"Nakamura, our hallway is rigged. I suggest we close and lock the door and focus on your half of the ring. Tell the Kurogane our plan, so they know one side is hazardous. As for the act of defending, I suggest we move as far forward as possible and retreat to our hold. We can use the convex corridor to our advantage, always just out of sight when we need to be. Assuming, that is, they don't just try to steamroll us- if that happens, we're fucked."

Last and least important on his list of things to handle was Cibo. To be blunt, his opinion of her was about as low as it could go and he was pretty sure that had been made clear on more than one occasion; namely, he criticized her inability to adhere to a soldier's discipline. It sounded like she needed another verbal berating. But first, a personal blow to keep her mouth shut. "If I didn't know any better, Malinowski, I'd say you liked your men as tall as Drathonians." After he let that hang in the air a couple seconds, he motioned for her to come near. "Now get over here and let's get you to work." He cupped his hands, clearly intent on assisting her entry into the ventilation system.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

The thin and lithe intelligence agent practically hopped to her feet with excitement. "Yes sir!" she sang, oozing enthusiasm. Finally! It was something that fit her job description! Cibo was going to be a vent rat! Hurrah! She quickly shoved the wheeled chair over to the nearest vent and hopped right up with a "Chuu!". As she went in deeper though she caught Hendlow's remark. As big as Drathonians? Her imagination went to work very quickly. Needless to say, the imagery had to have come from the Japanese half of Cibo's heritage.

"Ew, ew, ew!" she sounded over the comms at the man. "What are you thinking Lieutenant?! Its very obvious Hector and Asher are nowhere near normal size! Just listen to them talking about how they'd love to swing around big giant guns! Normal men like you don't need those!" she exclaimed, crawling through the dark and thickly dusty vents.