[Episode Zero] School Daze

Archives of Occultus Magica's beginnings, ten years prior to the current story.
Kokuten

Re: [Episode Zero] School Daze

Post by Kokuten »

"She is not speaking the entire truth." said Aurus, within Percy's mind. The young boy blinked at that, staying openly quiet in that moment.

"What makes you say that?" asked Percy in return, which offered a quick response.

"You see it, don't you? The way she carries herself? The status she speaks of? The heightened sense of self? She has power of many varieties, and she doesn't see herself 'on your level'. She may not admit it, nor even believe it, but she is the kind of person what we once called 'nobility'. Nobles lie to you, boy, no matter their intentions. Even if she's coming out with the 'truth', do not let your guard down. She isn't to be trusted." growled Aurus. Percy felt the back of his neck warm up.

"Then who do I trust?" asked Percy to the god.

"Anyone who does not trust you."

"Doesn't that just make a vicious cycle?"

"It would, if you weren't some pansy incapable of malice."

Percival sighed at that before looking back up at Raiko. The girl did seem to have a certain air about her that exuded confidence and authority, but he could feel what Aurus was talking about. He'd keep her at arms length, as Aurus had said, but only as a precaution. His eyes, however, came to Laoise.

"Kokoro-san." piped Percy, holding up his hand, "Could I see Laoise for a moment?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

Laoise perked up from her perch on Raiko’s shoulder and stretched out. The dove then hopped off of the girl’s shoulder and spread her wings and glided over to Percy. Once there, the bird sat expectantly on the young boy’s arm, waiting for Percy’s next move.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

Duncan listened to her condescendingly speak down on him. Duncan was not a happy lad, but that didn't show. "He's your gardener? But I thought he said that he worked for...uh, never-mind." the boy spoke up meekly. Inside though, he already planned on what to do next. 'Since she didn't exactly outright say they're not knowing of the magical world, I'll just do whatever I have to do. And if they aren't in the know, it won't be on my conscience when I gotta mindwipe them.' the American boy thought to himself. He eyeballed the bird as it hopped from one person to another. He immediately didn't like that either. 'Stupid bird. You're showing your understanding of the human language! Your pea brain isn't even supposed to grasp a bit of it naturally unless you're a squawking parrot!' Still. Why did this boy ask her over? Did this other boy have the means to communicate with someone's familiar or magically enhanced pet?

"Hey, what are you going to do?"
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Oh," went Percy, bringing the bird in a little closer. The young welshman gave a weak smile as he rubbed the back of his head with his free hand, "well, Laoise looks so tired. I thought I'd go down the hall and grab some of the leftover bread from the cafeteria. I'll be real fast." The Welshman quickly made his exit, side-stepping Miller; avoiding Duncan's curious, subtle gaze; and taking as much care with the bird as possible. He threw a glance up and down the hallways, before quickly hustling down to a classroom two doors down from the one the others were meeting in. With a careful slide of the door, he poked his head in to look around for any occupants, before closing the door behind him. He bit his lip before holding out his free hand and summoning Unity to his hand.

"Alright," whispered Percival, trying to be quiet, looking at Laoise closely, "I've been reading up on druids ever since I met you and Ruarc, and I've learned that you're very intelligent, but you can only communicate that intelligence to Ruarc, right? But..." His blue eyes went to his staff. "What about someone else who handles primal energies? Modeka's powers are around the same premise, so..." He looked back at her, "Maybe she can allow me to understand you, and maybe even give you a little energy. What do you say?"
Luca

Post by Luca »

The first questions to come to Miller's mind was: "You must have some idea of where he might be if you urgently need transportation. What is your plan?" He folded his arms and tilted his head, waiting for the answer before clarifying, "There're regulations about taking students in teacher's cars, unless you can get parental permission."
He then looked over to Laoise, the dove. He had seen a dove fly about school on occasion, but he'd never seen it this close to to the children or calm, causing him to quirk an eyebrow. Furthermore, having it respond to commands and land on Percy's shoulder before he made a hasty exit would arouse more suspicions.

However, the teacher did not bat an eyelid. This was benign compared to what may/may not have happened the other night with the giant skeleton.
"A pet dove knows where Ruarc is?" He sniggered, mistaking the dove's actions for the bulk of kid's planning so far, "That's a bit rich, but I'll play along if it makes you feel better."
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Understand me all you want, boy,” Laoise griped in response to Percy’s offer, “And yes, as a matter of fact I am very intelligent. However the fact remains that I do not know where my Keeper has disappeared to.”
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Unity exuded a gentle green light out upon Laoise, it formed more in a coiling rope an circled around the dove as she spoke. Percy's response consisted of a quiet stare, before letting his staff rest against his shoulder, as he rubbed the side of his head. "Augh... Modeka caught the tail end of that, but that can't be all." was his reply, "The bond between Keeper and Guide doesn't just break, does it? Do you remember where he was before you couldn't feel him anymore? Or, for that matter, how could this even happen?" With that Percy pressed his fingers to his head, waiting for Modeka to transfer the words for him.
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Of course it doesn’t just break, crow, but it does have its limitations. He said he was going to look at some boring market, that is all I know,” Laoise started, her innocent and charming dove appearance belied her pompous attitude and tendency for talking down to people. “The larger the distance between Keeper and Guide, the more strain is placed on the Bond. So in order to protect mental health, when the distance gets to a certain point the Bond shuts off our mental link; so only the soul link is left. So, any other questions? Or can we get passed this plot-filler of a conversation?”

Somewhere, a still kidnapped Ruarc got the sinking feeling in his gut that his Guide was busting balls, and the druid pitied the soul dearly.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"It's useless, boy. Let me roast it and eat it. I can't remember the last time I had Roast Dove." piped Aurus, an evil chuckle, followed by a metal-echoed licking of lips, "Oh ho ho ho, I'm salivating just thinking about it."

"Quiet, you." bit Percy, as his eyes rolled at that last part. He rubbed his temple at that. Clearly this wasn't the best idea he had, but he still had a few more relevant questions to all of this. There was still a few thing he could learn from the stuffy bird. "Then tell me, just how much does Ms. Kokoro know about this? About Ruarc, what he is, and what you are? Magic, period, for that matter. Aurus told me not to trust her, but I want to know just how warranted that is."
Straken

Post by Straken »

”Kokoro? The pretentious lass that hired Ruarc? Ha!” Laoise said as she started laughing, which, bein a dove, sounded like a series of high pitched chirps in the pattern of, “Oh ho ho ho!”

”Duke Raiko, or whatever she wants to be called, knows more about Ruarc’s jobs than Ruarc himself,” Laoise said before jerking her head up and to the right in a rather dismissive manner. “All I know is I don’t like my Ruarc hanging around her, even if she gave him a job, and a place to sleep, and a…” As the bird spoke, she became visibly more flustered as her feather puffed out and she sunk her neck down.