[Episode 4] The Worth of a Soul

Archives of Occultus Magica's beginnings, ten years prior to the current story.
Kai
Site Admin

Re: [Episode Four] The Worth of a Soul

Post by Kai »

And suddenly, it was gone. All the mental pressure, the imagined power and fear, the misgivings and misjudgements, in that one moment, were lifted from Miyuki's mind.

"What?" she stammered, at first, before she realized that asking 'what' was not going to help. she shook her head, then looked up at Elizabeth Caxton.

"Yes, of course, I'll help. Whether or not he deserves it or wants it, he's going to get it." the Japanese girl answered, seeming set on the idea. Whatever was wrong with Percy, it couldn't be her fault. All she had done was help him, after all. In just a month, the boy had gotten so much healthier, more fit, more active. she had helped him help himself, and yet, it seemed he still needed her help. I suppose it's always going to be like this, as long as I know him... Miyuki thought, feeling like scolding the Welshboy for doing something- what it was she didn't know- that had gotten him in trouble.

"I suppose it cannot hurt to help. Percival is our good friend, after all, and were it not for his appearance here, I doubt the group of us would have fully met," Raiko said, nodding at her own wisdom. "I do suppose we owe it to him as a group to help in whatever predicament he might have found himself in." The girl stood up from her desk, and bowed respectfully to Elizabeth, before turning to the Druid that had become more than just her friend in recent weeks. "How about it, Ruarc, shall we?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Indeed we shall, Raiko,” Ruarc agreed as he looked over to Raiko and gave a nod. To match the atmosphere that had shifted to becoming more serious, Ruarc changed his body language to match by setting his feet back on the ground, sitting straight up in his seat, and clasping his hands together on the desk. The Irishman was inclined to help Percy for a multitude of reasons, which of course included the fact that they were friends, but the Druid also could not help to shake the feeling that what he read in The End surely had something to do with it; and if that was the case, then there was a sense of obligation that went more into guilt and necessity rather than fellowship.

“If Percy’s in trouble, then Ah’d be honored ta help him,” Ruarc said as he threw in his support as well. “Same goes for Laoise as well.” With that the white dove gave a notable chirp as if she too were agreeing.
Luca

Post by Luca »

Mr. Miller looked to the kids with a smile, seeing as though they were in agreement of helping out a friend, "Kids, I think through this we are going to learn the importance of helping friends," He chuckled as he realised that he was talking to mages, not just children, "Oh who am I kidding - some of you are already wise beyond your years! Point is, the Caxtons need our help, and for all Percival has done for us, its only just that we help him out in his time of need." He nodded reaffirmingly.
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Riley – who up until Mrs. Caxton's latest bit of information had gone from Admiral and grand deity of the sea to illusionary zoo-keeper extraordinaire – waved a hand through all the little animals covering her desk and watched them fade away forlornly before snapping her attention to the group's Percy-problem.

As all the classroom's occupants began to agree to help Riley found herself nodding easily in agreement – even if Miller's second little speech was a bit too cheesy even for the youngest girl present and undid all the work Michael's earlier intonement had done to make the Scotsmen seem serious.

Yet, when it came her turn to voice her readiness the young stage magician found herself instead standing up – hand still close together from the manacles that bound the girl as they pushed against the top of the desk – and meeting Elizabeth's gaze with a firmly set mouth and uncowed eyes.

“When I go I'll do it unbound. Body -” Riley shook the ethereal chains binding her as much physically as they did spiritually. Then, with her face tinged red with embarrassment but still held straight and confident, the girl motioned towards the sailor outfit Mrs. Caxton had bound to her the very base of her being. “- and soul. Ah, because the soul, you know about – you know why?” Riley finally looked down as her voice took on a helpless quiver to it and her face reddened even more. As she stood there, face down, the young girl could be seen moving her lips silently to herself before she shook her head and looked up again.

“We put all of ourselves out there, if we did anything otherwise it wouldn't be us doing it.” Riley recited from memory what Elizabeth would recognize as one of Joseph Alstad's old mottos, the girl seemingly clutching to the words as if they explained everything.
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Grandstanding there in front of Mrs. Caxton Riley swallowed a loud and very visible gulp before sighing and slumping her shoulders.

“I'll... I'll keep the outfit though.” The young girl poked at one of the pleats in the skirt and considered the way it was segmented almost made it as if the offended piece of cloth was a division of troops all gathered together and in uniform – which certainly, maybe, kinda made it all the better for that.

“I'll keep the outfit.” Riley reiterated with more confidence. “So long as you unbind it and keep it that way. Then, all you have to do is trust me, right?” The stage magician's voice got smaller as she asked Elizabeth to trust her – all the times Riley had run away from, hidden, and attempted to trick the Caxton matriarch she wasn't so sure if the woman did trust her.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

Percy's Mom.

This person was Percy's mom - she was scary. Very, very scary, but not for the same reasons anyone else would find her of course! If it weren't for the fact that she had found the discussion with Percy over dinner in regards to the various nuances of Alchemy and Potion Making so utterly fascinating for starters, she wouldn't feel this way. Coco knew at least that much about herself of course! Though...the rest was a bit confusing. Still! The numerous uses for even a single magical ingredient and how it would affect the ebb and flow of energy was intriguing to say the least. And this wasn't even mentioning how that one ingredient would react to others in the brew either! The field was utterly different than what she worked on of course, but - 'Percy is what?!'

The faint blue in her cheeks quickly vanished as Coco drew herself out of deep thought, marshaling herself. Mustering her strength, she raised a hand as steady as she could.

"So, umm, if this is kinda like a quest, are we going to get rewarded too?" she asked. "Maybe with something tasty to eat? Or, even dinner?" Coco added on hopefully.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura sat there, arms on the desk. Huh... she thought and raised her head, which had been resting on her arms. This might be fun, at least it'll keep me away from my father... she smiled weakly at the thought of at least having a few hours perhaps away from her father, or maybe even longer, the longer she was away the better she felt and the better her mood. Although, as she had smiled she winced slightly at the pain she felt in her face and quickly stopped smiling so that the pain would go away.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Elizabeth rubbed her eyes gently, somewhat moved by everyone's initiative, especially Riley's. The woman's shoulders gently dropped a certain tension released in the muscles that kept them so bound was released. The relief itself was obvious, especially that of a mother who was desperate for help for her own child. A short sigh escaped her lips before she could speak again, as if letting out a breath of stress which contaminated the lungs. She looked over the children, over onto Miller, and smiled a gentle smile that was without bite or fire.

"Thank you, all of you," answered Elizabeth to all of them, before pushing herself off the table and approaching Riley. She smiled down at the little girl and put a hand on her shoulder, releasing the weight of restriction off her shoulders as the clothing suddenly felt less magical in nature. "And you as well, Riley. I will be relying on you especially, my little Alstad."

Her eyes turned on Coco, who had taken to asking her question pertaining to a reward. "A reward? How about my son's continued existence?" snapped the woman on the small girl, her lip curling discontentedly, "If he's truly in trouble, you, as a good friend would be better concerned with his safety, hm? HM?"

All of a sudden Coco found herself nose to nose with Elizabeth, "HM!?"

And then, suddenly not as she turned to the rest of the room, regaining her honest composure. "Hm."

"You know, I wasn't aware of how many friends my little boy had made since he came here. He's normally so bad about the whole 'friend' thing." Her gaze turned onto Ruarc for a moment, sizing the boy up and down, "A druid who smells like he spent his entire life curled up in a tree."

Then to Raiko, "A girl who quite literally goes by the title of 'princess', how unusual."

Then, it was Miyuki's turn, but the water girl got a different look, especially as she sunk down to her desk to give the girl a closer look. She squinted into Miyuki's eyes, speaking gently, "And you..." For a few agonizing moments, she remained silent. And then, suddenly, she brought a hand to her mouth, giggling into it lightly, "How cute."

"Anyway!" Elizabeth stood straight up at that, taking short notice of Sakura on the side, who was turning her face in a mild pain. The teacher stepped over to the young girl, and placed the tip of her index finger on the girl's cheek, and drew a little symbol on it, glowing white, which patched itself there. As soon as it patched, so was Sakura's pain patched into nothing, as if she had not been hurt at all, "Anyway! We must hurry, as tarrying any longer than now will simply make our leaving all the more difficult. If you have any questions, ask them now."
Luca

Post by Luca »

"I have no questions since the goal is clear. All I need to do is swing by my house. I have to pick up my sword and armour," Mr. Miller said aside to Mrs. Caxton - sighing since his one limitation was that he couldn't carry his tools around covertly, "Then I'll be ready to assist Percival."

He then took a moment to analyse the seriousness in her voice over the urgency of her requests, "...I'm not going to have time, am I? No matter, I'll have to improvise." There was some resentment in his voice, but he was adaptable enough to pick up something big and heavy enough to do the job - or perhaps it'd be an excursion into the Elementalia Magicus or somewhere similar - which was always fun - since he was even less prepared for it.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Emilia rose silently from her seat, absorbing all the information. That which stuck out most, though, was that Elizabeth had nothing to say about Lady Venezia. Her mouth twisted slightly with concern, wondering if that meant Emilia wasn't one of Percival's friends; but then... why would she be here? It was a little strange. Even so! Emilia was determined to do her part. Her Soul Cloak and Scythe would be...

Her face sunk at the sudden realization. I don't have them! Okay, don't panic. Don't panic. Maybe... Maybe there won't be anything that wants to kill you! The memory of her first encounter with Percival, under the tree as he was about to die, flashed before her mind. Okay, there's probably going to be things trying to kill me. Emilia's mind raced for a solution, but was having difficulty conceiving one that did not involve mentioning this to her mother.