[Episode 3, Part 2] Marshmallows and Campfires

Archives of Occultus Magica's beginnings, ten years prior to the current story.
Kalshion

Re: [Episode 3, Part 2] Marshmallows and Campfires

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura continued to glare at Adrienne for a few moments longer, before she cancelled her key and caused the arrow that had been summoned to be drawn into the bow which took on an odd reddish glow. She stood up straight but she wasn't about ready to approuch the adult, but she did listen in and couldn't help but shake her head at it being a set up.

As she did and heard Coco mention the word 'zombie', the girl's brain came to a dead stop at the word as she tried to figure out what it meant. "Zum... bee?" she said curiously, having never heard of the word of the word before. "What's a .. zum-bee?" she asked.
Luca

Post by Luca »

First it was confusing, then it was horrifying, and now it was all confusing again. If Miller was a hard disk, the reading head would've skipped a few times as the CPU tried to process previous information. This makes no sense at all, and I should probably not try to rationalise it. "A wizard did it..." He mumbled to himself.

Miller had obviously heard of what a Zombie was, since they were staples in horror fiction, and sometimes made reference to in what he read in his time off, "Simply speaking, a Zombie is a dead person, but not at the same, er, time. Normally, z-zombies attempt to tear your face off or," Pause, "R-represent the, uh, mindless consumerism of mankind." He paused again, "They're all over the place in movies." He then paused for breath and mumbled at what he was saying before continuing. It sounded absolutely ridiculous when it went on playback in his mind's ear, "This one seems alright," Can't say the same about her brother! "So, uh, rest assured, I-I think we're safe-" His tone rose as he realised the complete absurdity of his previous statements.

He then slumped against a tree and rested one hand on his chin and the other on his leg and asked to nobody in particular, "Yare yare daze, this is bananas. Someone throw me a bone here." His facial expression was somewhere between confused and annoyed with the whole affair. Next thing you know you've got polar bears with snorkels and tommyguns showing up.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Of course it's alright." said Percival, a somewhat unusual calm taking him over at the sudden realization that Coco was a zombie. A certain academic air came over him showing his studied intelligence, his eyes turning sharp with experience. He turned to Riley, patting the girl on the head for capriciousness.

"AH HA HA HA! THE LITTLE ILLUSIONIST HAS MORE RESOLVE THAN YOU, BOY!"

Percival's brow arched. "What do you mean? I'm quite composed!"

"IT STARTED TO RAIN A BIT AS MODEKA LEFT! HA HA HA HA!"

Once again, Percival began to ignore Aurus, as he took his steps towards Coco, sighing somewhat laborious, before looking at the others.

"The Undead aren't what you see in movies. They're people, like you and me. Yes, some are insane and feral, but you would do the same if you laid conscious in a tomb, or some rotted place with no contact for a hundred years. If it helps you, you view them as constructs, or better yet, as normal people." explained Percival, recalling the words that his father, Alistar, had used to comfort him when facing down Svagnir. "You should all know by now, that the corporeal shell is nothing but that, a corporeal shell. What matters is the soul inside, that anchor to the mana, that's what makes us who we are."

Percy clapped his hands together, looking aside, "Of course, that is only one of the theories, but one put forth by the renowned 14th Century Necromancer Proilatir."
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Riley poked her cheek a couple times as she thought about this new little piece of information. The girl was honestly more curious than anything; she'd read plenty about the undead in books, but never really met any until now so wasn't too worried – Coco hadn't been anything but nice with a sprinkling of mischief after all.

He hand drifting down to her chin, the girl scratched her face a couple times as she wondered on what she wanted to do. It wasn't that it was really bad or anything – it just might not be considered tactful to invade on someone's privacy like she was thinking on.

The stage magician clapped her hands together and shrugged. Looks like curiosity wins out on this one – to action!

Shuffling a few, hopefully unnoticed, steps forward Riley concentrated for a few seconds as she turned incorporeal. Then, just like someone taking a peak into an open doorway, the young girl took a step forward and leaned her forward – placing her head inside Coco's body.

The back of Riley's head could be seen shifting slightly from side to side as the illusionist took what looked to be a rather comprehensive viewing of someone else's innards. Finally done, Riley took a step back and stood up straight, once more corporeal and with a big grin on her face.

“Nice insides!” Riley complemented Coco, giving the other girl a thumbs up to go along with the smile. “Very neat.”
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura nodded slowly at the responses she got. I.. don't get it... she thought with a confused look on her face and looked over at Coco, she walked up to the girl and said. "Are you sure you're ok?"
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

"oh." Went Miyuki, at the explanation. then a few moments passed by for her to register it all. "OH!" she then stammered, somewhat at a loss as to these turn of events. She blinked at Coco, then at Adrienne, then the others, and the blanched as Riley somehow stuffed her head inside Coco. "That's rude, Riley!" Miyuki scolded, trying to grab the little magician and pull her away, but failing, as she was incorporeal. "At least ask her first!"
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

"Um, it means I'm not alive," the little girl answered the the other shyly. "You know... a walking dead body? It's why I'm ok. D-do you all really don't mind? I'm not icky or scary or anything like that at all?" she asked with surprise. "I used to have a lot of friends, but ever since Duncan and Big Sis brought me back, most of them got scared away, and the ones that weren't are all busy now," Coco explained to them all, her voice slightly quavering as she did so. "I'm so glad that you're all - EYAAAAAAAAAAA! NOOOOOOOO!" the little girl suddenly screamed in terror, her inner sanctum intruded upon as Riley peeped within her. She quickly scurried away into the woods to hide behind a frozen tree, faint sniffles audible over the silently falling snow.

Duncan spewed water across one of the many screens in front of him.

"H-hey, everything's ok! She didn't mean anything bad by it Coco, I'm sure of it!" the American boy's voice softly sounded across the snowscape soothingly. Odd, muffled sounds emanated from behind the little girl's hiding spot as she replied, still sniffing her nose as she tried to hold back more tears. "Not at all! I bet she was just curious and admiring my work!" Duncan went on proudly - this only elicited a sudden cry of anguish from Coco, launching Duncan into a panic himself. "But you've always found these kinds of situations funny! Isn't it like, living in one of the anime or manga like this?!" he hurriedly asked, desperately grasping straws in an attempt to sooth his little sister's woes.

"B-but it's not as funny when it's me thouggghhhhh!" she replied, half laughing and half hiccuping from behind her tree. The sound of Duncan whispering to Coco could then be briefly heard, followed by more giggles from the little girl. In moments, she emerged, looking adorably solemn and dejected. Right up to Percival she went, and when she looked up at him at arm's length, she spoke, "Percival-kun? If I get ruined for marriage, will you take me?" There was complete, utter silence for the briefest of moments, before Coco burst into a fit of giggles, Duncan joining in as well. It was now painfully obvious to the astute minded that Duncan and Coco were both making a reference to a show they both enjoyed, but, it was also obviously Duncan who suggested who to say the line to, perhaps in a bid to rustle Riley.

After all, could any of them conceive of Coco knowing the full meaning of that line?

"Oh man, loved that show. Pity the Voice Actress ended up in that scandal. Moving on!" Duncan announced! "The whole point of that demo was to show you how to better fight - Coco's trying to mimic Oni-san," Duncan explained, making a pun that perhaps most of the kids would miss. "It's really flashy and theatrical, but inefficient - she doesn't have the experience to know when to use it all quite yet in comparison to the original user who did. What I'd like you all to do, is to do what Adrienne-Sensei did. Be efficient. We're short on time, so no formal lessons. Just right to the meat of it." Coco just started to open her mouth, only to be cut off by her brother. "You too Coco." A faint 'aww' could be heard as she sighed.

"Now, LET'S GET READY TO - well, you guys know the rest."

Duncan spun on his computer chair and walked over to one of several icy looking fish-tanks - using a spell, several small sand grain sized white objects were whisked into a shaker, and brought over to a much larger tank.This one went several meters too and fro, and even had a scaffolding so the boy could walk above it without risking harm to the valuable contents inside. Kneeling down, he shook the contents like a person adding salt and pepper to a dish.

All was silent.

And then the storm came. Wind and snow started to pick up, biting at their faces, but that wasn't the real trouble - thunder came. Giant figures slammed down onto the forest floor around the motley little group, leaving craters where their feet met the ground. The white abominations, four in all, rose from kneeling as their glowing red eyes took in the scene, easily towering over the group at ten feet each.

The four Yeti surrounding the little group roared and charged in from all sides.
Straken

Post by Straken »

After Coco’s big reveal, Ruarc’s face settled into one of surprise and curiosity, as one would expect. Having never really watched much in the way of movies in general, much less zombie flicks, the Druid’s interest came from the stories he had heard from other Druids, and the occasional mention in his Tome. As he was familiar with the idea of zombies, they were generally brought back as a source of labor by the ancient Druids for projects to big or mundane for them to do themselves; Stonehenge for example. They were essentially just mindless constructs, but Coco seemed like a perfectly normal girl her age in that she had feelings and a functioning personality.
”Could that be accomplished through a whole different style of magic? Or perhaps it has something to do with the feelings and intentions of the one bringing the subject back?” Ruarc thought to himself as his mind tried to answer the feeling of curiosity.

Before Ruarc was able to continue with his train of thought, the pleasant environment began to change, and from the sky dropped four hulking masses. In short time the next course of action became apparent rather quickly. The informative part of the lesson was over, and now it was time for the application portion. With the composure of a cowboy drawing his revolver, Ruarc grabbed his staff and readied a rune in his other hand.
“Alright Yank, ya want efficient magic, then let’s give ya efficient magic,” Ruarc said in a steady tone, really wishing for some way to work in a “Ya fellin’ lucky, punk?”

As the yeti charging in on his side got closer, Ruarc tossed the rune in his off hand into the face of the attacker, and as it bounced off of the beast’s nose the small stone burst into a blinding ball of light. At the same time Ruarc pushed off to the side and placed himself on the creature’s right flank.
Readying his staff, the young Druid shouted, “Turraing!” which sent a spear of lightning barreling right at the yeti’s large head.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

again, Miyuki blanched at something with Coco- From the giggles it was obvious it was a joke, but still- something about what she had said was incredibly disturbing. Especially toward the creeper Perv Percy. Who would want to have anything to do with him, anyway?

But then, four giant white things fell to the ground, rushing in attack. And then. Miyuki's phone rang. "Oh, Come on!" she yelled at her pocket, pulling the device out- a call from her mother "Crap, crap, crap! She's gonna kill me if I don't answer this!" the black-haired girl whined. but, she didn't have any time. What could she do? It wasn't like she could just- Duh, Magic.

Miyuki realized the ground was covered in something she could use. In a flash, the Babylon Key appeared in her hands, and she smashed it into the ground, causing a large amount of snow to form into a ball around her, condensing and hardening into a shell to protect her.

Click. "Hello, Mom? Yeah, I'm okay. no, no, nothing's wrong, I'm just hanging out with some friends. Yeah, yeah! Oh, no, they're playing video games, nothing to worry about. Oh, really? it's a girl? Congrats mom!" Miyuki looked around, but realize she couldn't announce it to anyone, busy as they were. "Well, yeah, of course I'm excited to finally have a little sister! I couldn't be the baby forever! Yeah. Uh-huh. don't worry. I'll be home for dinner, probably. Alright. Later. Love you! Bye!" Click.
Luca

Post by Luca »

((Unsure if overboard, there was nobody available to line me up when I wrote this))

Well this is only getting stranger, but... Miller contemplated as Duncan displayed what sounded like genuine concern for her sister's wellbeing. He eventually decided to stop dwelling on what was going on around him and he abandoned his preconceptions about the Leetenbaum children. No social worker could make a situation like this any better. "Riley!" He scolded when he saw the gymnastic mage invade Coco's personal space, "That's rude!"

It all became clearer as Duncan explained: This was not a fight club as Miller first thought, this was a training ground. Miller knew that he was the outlier here, and he had much to learn about Magic and about fighting, and if this was a starting point to the realities of a magician in combat, or whatever he was supposed to be, so be it.
Duncan wrote:"Now, LET'S GET READY TO - well, you guys know the rest."
"Rumble." Miller filled in the blank before cracking his knuckles, straightening his back and moving away from the tree he was leaning against to stand closer to the mages. Now that it was all hands in, he figured it'd be untoward if he didn't contribute to whatever Duncan had in store for them, "I'm ready when you are, kids."

Then the wind roared through the trees for a moment and Miller looked around, only to be greeted by a big white hairy thing with a poor temper. The unarmed teacher ducked under one of its arms and rose up to parry the other in mid swing. Miller was only six feet tall, the Yeti was about ten feet tall, that skeleton was about three stories tall. He had the feeling that he'd be fighting things just like this more often: Bigger, meaner and stronger than him, and not just wrestling with literary concepts.

Teaching a Yeti to read Ulysses was not the right course of action. Instead, the soft-spoken Sensei Miller decided to teach the Yeti a lesson in pain by attempting to wrestle it to the ground using Judo techniques. He had to use his entire body as leverage along with his refreshed supernatural backing to bring it to the ground, grabbing the Yeti's midsection with both of his arms, then swinging his right leg behind its right leg and firmly planting it into the ground before twisting his entire body and using all of his strength to send the Yeti falling over his hips with a roar from the teacher.

Miller could feel the Yeti's claws his back on the way down as it gave him a parting gift. Miller ignored the slashes in the heat of the fight and did the next logical thing - bashing its skull in with his bare hands now that it was closer to the ground. The teacher was now positively aglow as he exerted himself and re-exercised those muscles he had discovered against the skeleton last week, "I don't even know," He said between breaths and punches, "If this is magic," Referring to what he was doing to the Yeti, "But whatever it is, its working for me!" Maybe these Yeti were constructs too, maybe that's why it felt so easy.