[Episode Three] Going the Extra Magic Mile

Archives of Occultus Magica's beginnings, ten years prior to the current story.
Kai
Site Admin

Re: [Episode Three] Going the Extra Magic Mile

Post by Kai »

Miyuki stifled a few giggles as she watched Coco fling water balloons at Ruarc, and then frame Duncan. For the Japanese girl, this seemed to be poetic justice. however, as soon as Duncan opened his mouth again, Miyuki's disdain returned, and she resumed her previous slightly sulking manner, not really wanting to go along with anything, but, realizing that Duncan was right in some cases, she didn't want to simply ignore it either. So, again, she kept her mouth shut, staring at the floor because she had nothing better to do.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura watched and snickered at what Coco had just done; she would've helped but lacked a water rune to do so. That, and she didn't want to use her magic right now, due to worry that it might cause issues. Though curiously, she set the bow between her legs and rested her head against the frame and closed her eyes to think for a few moments before looking over at Duncan.

"And who are you people exactly anyway?" she stared at the man, her eyes narrowed slightly. "Up until a few hours ago, I had been taught that there were no other magic users, then I suddenly find several in the same city I've been living in for a few years now? Where'd you all come from?"
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"I think it'd be best to ask you," answered Percy, tucking his arms behind his back as he couldn't cross them over his chest now. Zulan wielded a cracker in Sakura's direction with mild suspicion in her eyes, matching up with the similar expression on the Welshman's face. "Considering you were pulling pranks and generating all around chaos. With that kind of behavior, I find it hard to believe you've never been caught spouting off magic like you do."

Then the boy turned his attention back to Duncan, his expression darkening, "And for your information, I'm a font, I'm supposed to channel gratuitous amounts of energy through my artifact. Otherwise, I can't use spells and runes like everyone else. I just can't."
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura's eyes narrowed at Percy, and then looked over at the rune that he had in his hands. She was half tempted to snag it out of the boy's hand, but the pain in her shoulder meant she couldn't do that right now. "Afraid I have no idea what you are talking about," said the young girl as she stared Percy straight in the eyes, not looking away for a moment. "Like I said, up until a few hours ago, all I knew was that I was the only one capable of using magic.. then I discover others with the same abilities. Perhaps where I live, there are no magic users..." she shrugged her shoulders, it was annoying to her. Right now, she was concerned about who these people might be and was hoping she didn't make a mistake in getting involved.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc rubbed his singed hand thoughtfully as he considered what Duncan was saying. Despite his aversion from the American boy, the Irishman could hear the logic in what he was saying. Everything the lad had said so far had been right on the money, and all arguments he could think of were simply him being petty.

“Now, Ah see no fault with yur claims, Duncan,” Ruarc said after Percy had made his rebuttal, using Duncan’s actually name in a semi-respectful tone. “The only concern Ah’ve got is how exactly ya plan ta have us remedy the problem. Trainin’ an’ special diet?”
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

The little girl merely looked up at Ruarc with large, apprehensive eyes for a moment after he extinguished the little fire with his large, strong hands. Soon enough however, she took her slightly burnt sketch canvas back from him and brought it close to herself, hugging it with a worried embrace. "Thank you," she replied meekly. Sideshow aside, Duncan soon coughed, continuing on from where he somewhat left off,

"Thanks," He uncharacteristically replied humbly to the Irish kid. Before he could go on however, another issue arose - this girl, 'Sakura' was it? "Er, we're just a bunch of kids with magic that kinda ran into each other," the American boy started to explain. "It's kinda weird though - you're acting like you've never met any other kids with magic. It's not like you're a total shut-in or anything, right?" Duncan asked. Coco's thousand yard stare jumped from Sakura, to Duncan, then to Sakura again as she thought deeply.

"Nee-san is a Hikikomori?" she Coco asked bluntly.

"No, that's impossible; it's probably just not until recently that magic started gathering here I think." He waved a hand dismissively. If that were the case though, then there was the likelihood that all the magic here was 'new' and of less interest to him. Still, best not to look into it too much yet. Duncan turned his attention back onto Percy; the other boy was, very obviously, more or less a living magical battery with little control. "That doesn't mean it won't help," he started to explain. "It kinda looked like you fed one of your little people too much magic last time around - the fire guy. I can help with that, and if not, I can always help him and her," Duncan went on, pointing towards the Mini-Mini Zulan. "She's the one using your magic after all, and, well, I think it'd help if she didn't eat it all up so quick," he hesitantly explained, rubbing the back of his head with a hand.

"Oh! He's got more of them?!" his little sister asked in surprise. "I only saw, like, two I think! But I can't see very well anyways, so I probably miscounted," Coco admitted, shuffling her feet a bit at the admission. Duncan stood there sheepisly, silent for a moment after the off-beat interruption from his little sister.

"Well...special diet takes too long Ruarc, so it's going to be sorta like, uh..." the American boy rubbed the back of his head again uneasily for a moment before continuing. "It's going to be a hands on crash course. It's a little harsh, but I'm sure you guys can handle it," He smiled.

"Are you all in? I have tickets right here!" Coco cheerily spoke up, producing a wheel of red tickets just for the occasion. "I think I have the leftovers of a caramel apple somewhere in my bag though..."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc gave a long sigh once Duncan finally got to say what he was thinking. The druid had more or less already done his thinking and had since come to his conclusion. With a solemn look on his face he put up a hand to indicate that he was in.

“It’s in the spirit of cooperation that Ah agree to tag along with this proposal o’ yurs,” Ruarc said to Duncan. “If only ta run an experiment o’ ma own ta see where mutual agreement, as opposed to mutual disdain, gets us. After all, what’s the worst that could happ’n from givin’ ya the benefit of a doubt?”

After stating his inclusion, Ruarc crossed his arms once more as he went back to thinking to himself. As he saw it, the worst case scenario of going along would be Duncan pushing the last of Ruarc’s buttons, but the best case scenario was Ruarc actually picking up something that could help him complete his mission and, with hope, get Laoise back.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Miyuki had begun mimicking Zulan in her boredom, pretending to hold up imaginary crackers as the miniature goddess in a baby carrier did so with real crackers. Though this was somewhat more amusing than staring at the floor, Miyuki was still bored and mostly uninterested in what was going on, except the mention of a crash course. That got her a bit angry. Crash course? Sure, Miyuki wasn't the most refined magical girl, but she knew what she was doing! She didn't need any stupid training!

"I'll beat your stupid course." She boasted to Duncan, glaring at the boy.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura stared at Coco for a moment before she sighed and got up off the seat and stared out of the window. "Not by choice..." she said to Coco's 'Hikikomori' comment.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

"Ah, thanks Ruarc, for the benefit of the doubt I mean," Duncan replied to the Druid. He smiled at Miyuki's comment. "It's not just a course," he added, addressing her. "You'll find out when it all gets started though." Briefly glancing at Sakura at her remark, the American boy kept his comments to himself for a change and clasped his hands together. "Well, since it seems you're all aboard...Coco?"

"Choo-choo goes the train!" the little girl cheered, her outfit somehow having changed to that of a cute little train-engineer's getup right at the moment nobody was looking her way. At the little girl's words, the train's doors slid closed, sealing them in before it took off. "Now, I want everybody to keep all arms and legs inside the ride at all times! Exits are that way," she motioned down one the aisle, "And that way - and should the train somehow be flipped, the windows serve as emergency exits too!" Though Coco's costume was of the oldschool vein of thought, the train system here in Japan was rather modern - there wasn't any of that smoke and coal to worry about. But the noise as it gently went along the rails still gave off a pleasant atmosphere to the car the kids shared.

"Well, since we're on our way, I guess I should start off with a few questions - how did you all learn to control magic, and what exercises did your own teachers have you do, or did you do on your own?" Duncan asked. "You too," he quickly added, pointing at the Chibi-Zulan strapped to Percy's chest.