[Episode Three] Going the Extra Magic Mile

Archives of Occultus Magica's beginnings, ten years prior to the current story.
Straken

Re: [Episode Three] Going the Extra Magic Mile

Post by Straken »

“How we learned magic, huh?” Ruarc mumbled to himself as he went over the inquiry again in his mind. The Druid could remember his training pretty clearly, but such memories brought with them a few that were rather unsavory. Subduing a grimace, he thought about what to put into his explanation.

“Well, for me Ah had known since Ah was a child that Ah would take over as Keeper, so now tha’ Ah think about’t ma trainin’ began very early,” Ruarc said as he began to tell his own story, and for emphasis he pulled out a random rune from his pocket. “Ma trainin’ began through the creation and use of rune stones. Carvin’ ‘em taught me about the nature of magic, and using them taught me how to focus and direct the magic in ma own body as well as the magic in the world around me. So Ah would say Ah have been workin’ with runes for a li’l over ten years now. From ma lessons with runes, it wasn’t too big of a leap when Ah began workin’ with ma castin’ spells, but Ah only have about four or so years of practice with castin’. On top of tha’, all of ma combat experience would boil down to the past couple’a months since receivin’ ma assignment here in Japan.”

With his own bare-boned summary completed, Ruarc leaned against one of the support poles as he was curious about what the others may disclose. On the side, he was also somewhat pleased that so far his “cooperate with Duncan” plan had yet to bottom out, and he had even received two instances of “thanks” from the boy. Hopefully this short trend held for a while longer.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Sakura looked out of the corner of her eye, staring at Duncan and then as his little sister. "Training.. .hmm..." she thought for a moment before continuing. "Mostly self taunt, not like I had a teacher or a family member around to help me out, had to learn on my own..." she stared out the window as the train as moving. She was tempted to mention her staff, but wanted to keep that a secret for now.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Miyuki just kind of glared at Duncan, as if she felt like punching him for assuming something different than she meant. RIght now, she wasn't up for story time, she just wanted to wipe any of the stupid smug looks off of Duncan's face, give him a taste of his own medicine. By now, all her original misconceptions about the young man had worn off- her view of him had completely changed from the first time she had met him; that frail boy at the entrance to the school having a nice chat with her before classes started.

She almost hated him, but for all her glaring, she knew he wasn't evil- just an enormous prick.

"It found me." was all she muttered.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Zulan wiped the cracker-crumbs off her face when the question on origins came into play. Percy himself seemed a bit lost for a moment as his recollections turned back to the day he had actually begun to use magic. His mind torqued at the memories tied to that day, what he gained, what he lost. There was a certain somber nostalgia about it, as if they were asking about some old war wound. The young welshman rubbed his fore-arm gently, a ghostly burn rolled over his skin, reminding him of that sensation when his seal was burned off. Then he felt a little, cool hand touch his arm.

He looked down, and he found Zulan's big blue eyes looking back up at him, a little smile on her face. A mirror expression formed on his face as the little Water God reassured him.

"I found my staff in an underground ruin a few months ago," answered Percival, only giving the barest of details, "When I touched it, my seal burned off and I linked to it. I still can't use magic, but the realm my magic funnels to has the Elemental Gods."

Zulan threw up a firm salute, dutifully answering her half-mention as Percival continued, "The staff answers to specific chants of the user, and certain chants call forth certain gods. Otherwise, all I possess is my alchemy." Percival pointed up to his beret, "I'm a Class-B Certified Alchemist. That's collegiate level. Right under the research ranks."
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

The expression on Duncan's face was priceless.

On one hand, it almost looked like he wanted to laugh, the smile wavering and uncertain. On the other, when looking at his eyes, it was as though the American boy had completely and utterly lost it, being on the verge of being taken into the dark depths of insanity at the revelation. He raised a finger at one person. "Formal education," he spoke with a happy smile, pointing to the next. "Self taught. Got Found. Formal Education and Found it." Duncan suddenly burst into manic laughter that slowly winded down into being on the very verge of tears. "This is funny! Out of you all, only two of you got taught, and even then, one of the two taught tripped over it! That's just fantastic!" he cackled, now ignoring the rest of the group as he walked to the far end of the train car, speaking unintelligibly as he did so.

"Duncaaaan!" Coco half whined, half pleaded at him as he left the car. "Ohhh...this really isn't good," the littlest train engineer sighed. "Well, at least he's got you guys; I'm sure you're all going to cheer him up when he gets back and tell him it's all ok and all that, right?" she asked them with a bright, toothy smile.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"THIS FOOL, WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS. BOY, LET ME OUT SO I MAY KILL HIM AND TEACH HIS INSOLENT SISTER RESPECT OF THE GODS!" roared Aurus, causing both Percival and Zulan to flinch as they heard it ring throughout their minds. The pair of construct and summoner shared glances before looking towards Duncan's back. The little water god pouted at the ever irritable boy, not giving Aurus' orders much thought. Percival's dour expression, on the other-hand, seemed to give the concept some thought, despite never likely having the heart to harm anyone.

"Maybe you should ask the girl about her brother..." whispered a voice in his mind's ear, it sounded like Akanus. It was hard to tell, the words were spoken barely loud enough for him to hear.

"Akanus?" prompted Percy, hoping the God of Winds would answer him.

"Yes, Lord-Prince?" replied Akanus.

"Did you say something?"

"No, m'lord."

Zulan looked up, "Is there something wrong, Percy?"

Percival shook his head, a small chill coming over his spine as he wondered all this voice-in-his-head business was turning him schizophrenic. Still, whatever voice in his mind had cued the thought, the thought itself was sound. The young girl apparently knew a different Duncan from the one they knew. So, while Duncan stood up, and walked off, the young welshman took his seat next to his sister. Zulan, still strapped in, nestled into Percy's lap, watching Coco with her big, aqua blue eyes.

"You know, Duncan keeps to himself quite a bit. We hang out all the time, but it's hard to really get to know him," asked the boy with a curious expression, "Mind telling us what he's like? You certainly seem to know a different Duncan than what we get to see."
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

As Duncan made his way to the end of the train car, the door on that end opened, and a younger blonde woman stepped in. She was vaguely familiar to the others- mostly because she was wearing the Nishi-Ku Academy's Instructor uniform. She was Caucasian, though, and the way she carried herself, and indeed the way she was able to get into the carriage at all, with Duncan's spell to prevent nonmags from entering, hinted that she wasn't just a normal teacher. She placed her hand on Duncan's shoulder and smiled, before looking toward the group, and Addressing them. Well, Addressing Coco, anyway.

"Well, it looks like you were right, Coco. He does need a little bit of help. Don't worry, I think I'll be more than sufficient, if you require any assistance." The teacher's Japanese was impeccable- with one distinct difference- Her accent was undoubtedly French.

Miyuki looked up, as the French teacher spoke. She quickly got up, and politely bowed "Hello, DuMonde-Sensei!" She greeted. Miyuki was genuinely surprised. She had met this teacher, along with most of the others, a while back, considering her brother was the school's headmaster, but she had never guessed that the young teacher was magical in any way.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc clenched his jaw as he sought to be patient as he Duncan walked away laughing at the group. He really did want to try and be more amicable to the American, but the obnoxious lad was making Ruarc’s attempts difficult. With a sigh, the druid rubbed his forehead as he ignored the impolite response.
”I knew it wasn’t going to be easy getting along with him, so I won’t let something as petty as this bother me,” Ruarc told himself as he waited for Duncan’s antics to end so that they could get back to business.

The Druid’s internal pep talk ended when he heard Miyuki greet some new arrival. ”A “sensei,” huh? So she is a teacher?” Ruarc thought to himself as he looked over to the woman who had just entered the car. Her face did register as one that Ruarc recognized, but she wasn’t one that he had any classes with. After Miyuki’s greeting, and her tell-tale accent, he was able to recall her name from his investigation of the school earlier in the year. ”Adrienne DuMonde, the French teacher?” he thought to himself. While his realization didn’t have the same impact as it apparently had on his counterpart Miyuki, Ruarc was still rather curious now about her involvement with the situation.
”This school really hosts an interesting cast,” Ruarc mused.

With him not really wanting to deal directly with Duncan at that given moment, and more or less every other base he really felt the need to cover already being touched on, Ruarc moved away from the pole he used as support and plopped himself down into the neighboring seat with a solid thud as he resigned himself to watching the current exchanges take place; feeling that he could glean more from indirect observation as opposed to directly involving himself in any of the current situations present on the train.
Kalshion

Post by Kalshion »

Out of the corner of her eye, Sakura watched Duncan leaving the car and the teacher walking in and speaking to them, for a moment she was pondering what to say before she felt her cellphone vibrate in her pocket. She just looked at the pocket for a moment, waited until the cellphone stopped, then shrugged her shoulders. She looked back at the teacher and cocked her head curiously to one side while pointing and asking, "who is the old lady?"
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Riley had been quietly sitting up against the train wall closest to Percy as the members of his group tried to figure the best way to power themselves up. The stage magician begrudgingly had to add some measure of respect to Duncan for not prying into what sort of magical training she had had if any when he had asked everyone else. Even if the reason he didn't ask was mostly likely because he had forgot she existed – after all sitting curled up against the side of a train wasn't the best way to get noticed. The young girl still found it a bit disconcerting that so much trust was having to be put towards Duncan though, he just time and time again – just like with his little exit from the train car – illustrated himself to the group as an overall negative character no matter how hard he tried to be courteous.

Riley's train of thought stopped and her face blanched whiter than a set of hospital sheets as the local teacher came before the group. Strangers, especially adult strangers entangled with the educational system, didn't queue up very high on the girl's mental scale of 'people that are fun to meet' – they always wanted to sentence her to neigh on innumerable years trapped at their place of business.

Like a scared rabbit the girl leaped up from her spot alone – and exposed – against the wall and used her cloak to pull herself over into a state of intangibility. Quickly sliding over the ground – and straight through one of those poles meant for people to steady themselves on when standing – Riley only came to a stop when she was hiding behind Percy.

Glaring at the teacher and by circumstance also at the way Duncan had disappeared – which was one of the few highlights of this sudden turn of events – from behind the Welsh boy's back Riley thought about maybe illusioning up a beard of some odd colour or another on a couple of the people around her.

Deciding that she had more important matters to deal with at the moment though, Riley instead got closer to Percy.

“Watson, you traitor!” The stage magician whispered the best yell she could muster at her partner and then proceeded to brandish one incorporeal index finger like a sword before stabbing it into Percy's ribs a few times – each time she had sunk the ghostly appendage up to her knuckle in the boy's side Riley wiggled it about with joyful ire.

Having finished with her vengeance Riley moved back a few steps and let herself fall back into the physical world with one too happy grin refreshed and restored to its normal place about her face.