[Episode One] Bones for Bread

Archives of Occultus Magica's beginnings, ten years prior to the current story.
Luca

Re: [Chapter One] Bones for Bread

Post by Luca »

After several severe punches to the Skeleton's midsection and a cloud of rocky dust being kicked up, he failed to notice a right backhand that was heading in his direction, and he was swatted through the air, and he was at least thirty or forty feet up. A fall from that distance could kill someone if they didn't know how to land. Unfortunately, Miller did not know how to land as he sailed through the air. He didn't yell or scream and just waited for the landing with a crunch, and left a Teacher shaped imprint in the ground.

However, what Miller did next was unbelievable. He'd landed facing upwards, and he strained to lift himself up, clutching one of his legs and rubbing his chest with a slight wince in his expression. What happened next he did not see coming as he was grabbed by Miyuki's feline familiar, Rubeh and hauled towards the team.
"Why am I not dead?" Miller asked himself as he was being dragged off by the cat. He looked up at Rubeh and said, "Good kitty."

He looked over his shoulder towards where he was being taken, and started to notice another familiar face, "Ruarc?" He asked as he was put down by the cat, and had the strength to stand up, he took off his glasses and put them on as he inspected the situation, kneeling down over Miyuki and looking at the others, "Percival? What is the meaning of this?"
Of course, he'd completely neglected what his glowing was doing, and one of the more superficial wounds he'd sustained on his face was closing up in front of them without him realising it. Plus, it appeared as though his hands were where most of the light was coming from. It appeared to be beneficial, whatever it was.
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Riley nodded as the mask kind of hit its target, with such a large spell she hadn't been expected her normal level of accuracy. As she looked over towards Percy she was prepared to make a joke about how she could of done better when she saw the older boy stumble and cough violently.

His face looked as if it had been painted red.

The Alstad girl's eyes where wide for a few moments and filled with fear before she began to move. As Aurus came hurtled down the girl glared at him. When he began to shake Percy the looked turned surprisingly hard for a girl her age.

Her mind still in a panic Riley was acting off the moment as she advanced on the God of Fire she was muttering to herself. As she got closer the girl flipped back her cloak and a brilliant plume of flame shot past Aurus' face.

“...iot – id – id – IDIOT!” Riley yelled right next to Aurus. “Put him down now! You stupid, stupid FURNACE!”

As Miller came up and begin to ask Percy questions despite the state he was in her glare turned to the teacher but was stopped when she saw the bright light rolling out of the man's body. It seemed to have healing effects and as Riley's mind worked its way through her earlier panic her eyes widened.

“Get over here, he's covered in blood!”
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

For a moment Percival Caxton would feel as though his world was darkening and his vision becoming hazy. Some time and a little focus would reveal that no, the world was all the same save for an ever-expanding and erratic blotch of the purest, deepest, darkest pitch black there ever was. It swayed and swirled and shifted in unpredictable patterns and its edges were fuzzy, but its growth was undeniable. A few more seconds of this would reveal this to be the unmistakable outline of a hooded figure despite the strange behavior of his or her garments. It was extremely difficult to judge whether or not it was real or an illusion though. It seemed to shift in and out of focus like he was seeing the figure through a camera lens that couldn't judge the distance. In fact, the only reason Percy could see this dark figure at all was because he was ebbing ever closer to death; no one else could see the figure for the time being. As s/he strode closer, it became clear that a long shafted weapon rested over the shoulder and was gripped by a fair and pale hand. In conjunction with the locks of auburn-red hair that splayed over the shoulders one could only imagine it was a very short or young woman. The face was hidden in perfect shadow, and the rest of its figure was obscured by the strangely warping cloak.

Finally it came to his side, looming over his prostrate form, staring straight down from its concealed position. After a moment the figure squatted on its heels, or at least that's the only action that could have explained the changes beneath that strange cloak. Its free left hand reached out and gently caressed Percy's cheek with the back of cold fingers, imitating its teacher. The voice confirmed a young woman, "Percival Caxton, you are very close to death. Should it be your time, I am here to guide you through the afterlife. Don't you fret, for this is the way of the world. I assure you, the world beyond living is free of suffering and pain." The pale hand was then offered, as though to aid him in regaining his feet. "Will you come with me, Percival, freely of your own volition?" The words sounded honest and perhaps practiced and it was easy to imagine a friendly smile hidden within the shadows, even if this was a messenger of death.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Percy's heart gripped at him as it profusely tried to pump blood to his damaged insides. He watched Aurus get pushed aside, by Riley no less. She seemed panicked, and absorbed in the fact that he was dying... Dying? No... Now? It was something he could hear Aurus and Zulan arguing loudly inside his head. Their voices rang hard, sharp, and deep. Zulan was frantically offensive, accusing Aurus of killing Percival with his wild consumption. Aurus was roaringly defensive, saying he wasn't accountable for the weakness of the boy. Soon the argument was beginning to tear off into a subject he did not even recognize. The voices were becoming too loud for him to bear, and it was all making the already existing pain hurt more for just what damage had been caused. He just wanted it all to stop.

And it did. The blackness consumed him, and he saw that figure approaching him, that figure that could only be construed as death itself, a living personification. Aurus had told him about the encounters with Death, he said 'She was a sour mistress', though never knew that it held so much truthful weight. His heart couldn't help but beat faster, as if it was hurrying itself up to die, just so he could be taken to the abyss. Her cold hand, though cold, was so warming, so inviting. An end to the pain, the screaming voices, and the abounding anxiety. He raised a hand, placing a hand still coursing with warm blood on hers. The words came out gently, but were just audible enough.

"I... I thought you would be taller..."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

The figure let his palm rest on hers, and was utterly still while he spoke. In that equally measured tone, she answered, "You're delirious on your deathbed, but that was neither yes nor no. You may fight to retain your place in this world, but it seems your companions can do little to aid your condition. You may let go and I can take you to the next realm where we can discuss your life and your place in things yet to come." Words either well-practiced or naturally fluid fell from her lips, indicating a mental maturity far surpassing the physical maturity her stature suggested. Even so, the voice was small and it was still a toss-up just how aged she truly was.
Luca

Post by Luca »

Miller responded quickly, "Yes, but what do I do?" He said as he inspected Percival and breathed heavily. This kid had barely lived his life, but in his life, he'd experienced and done more than any other child, "He's beyond us now," His voice was laden in sorrow as it'd occurred to him that this child was likely learning his first spells while someone else was learning to walk. He still had so many years left - and it'd be a terrible, terrible shame for a life like his to be cut so short. Miller was about to cry - but maybe there was hope.

"But that's no reason to not try," Maybe that flicker was all he needed. First thing was first, Percival was coughing blood, Miller thought his lungs were obviously severely injured, or something in his chest. He put his hand to his chest and just thought of all the potential that could happen, all of the opportunities, all of the life that is going to be lived, as intended by the powers that were.
"Please, Percival, live," He said through tears and sobbing as his glow was pulsing through his hands into the almost lifeless child.

You have done the right thing. Said a voice in Miller's head, causing him to snap his head upwards in surprise, Never stray from your path. Live the virtues. Act with Justice...

Be the Knight.
Miller was utterly bewildered by what he'd heard in his mind's ear. Maybe that was his call to adventure. Or maybe he was delirious from all of the action that'd happened. Or maybe he'd just gone completely mad. Either way, he didn't have time to ponder. Percival needed saving.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

The second, larger Gashadokuro reeled, its head snapping back grotesquely from the force of the explosion, its hands forced to release and drop Duncan a good seventy feet to the ground, as the skeleton stumbled backwards, unable to see. it flailed for a few moments before its hands found its head, and promptly the extremity was righted, snapping back into place with a sickly popping sound. The thing snapped is jaw a couple of times, eyes swirly madly in their sockets, before it roared some strange, low, echoing sound of melancholy that penetrated everyone around, even Percy, before it began to angrily stomp at the small form of Duncan after he had hit the ground.

The first skeleton attempted to move, but found itself unable, and did something odd- It simply fell apart, turning into dust and leaving a sand-filled mold of its lower half in the ice, the mask that had been on its shoulder disappearing. Instead, a smaller, roughly Rhinocerous-sized creature that resembled an Armadillo appeared, stamping at the ice beneath it to crush through and come in contact with the ground. When it did, the armadillo-thing began bucking, sending waves through the ground at Duncan and the Gashadokuro, trying to upset them and send them to their feet.

Miyuki, By now, had regained enough strength to regain consciousness, and found herself lying face-down on the cold ground with her two guardian beasts watching her.
"The Topaz has taken on its true form." Rubeh announced, in a voice gruffer than Saph's, looking to the other side of the large ice statue.
"If we melt the ice, we can damage it AND knock the Gashadokuro, but there is a young man in the way." Saph added, looking concerned.
"Wuh... Wha?" Miyuki muttered, rubbing her eyes and sitting up, surveying the situation. People were taking it hard, in bad moods, yelling at each other, Percy had collapsed, and there was only so much she could do.
"What about Percy?" she asked, having recognized the boy from his hair poking out of the hood of his robe, and his stature which was uncommon in Japan. "He looks worse than me..."
"I think he is. We can help him, but not much. I can heal, a little bit" Saph suggested, looking uncertain, and concernedly glancing at the raging beasts to their other side.
"uhh... I see... Umm." Miyuki began, spotting Ruarc, standing in fairly good (from her point of view) condition in front of her. "Park-guy-San" she yelled "Could you melt the ice once Rubeh has that other young man over there?" she asked.
Rubeh, understanding the order, immediately leapt over the statue, avoiding the Topaz and heading for Duncan. Rubeh called out as he arrived "Lad, I'll give ye a lift!" and presented his back to the spellcaster. As soon as Duncan got on, Rubeh made off, hopping back towards the group, which had all finally gathered in one spot.

By this time, Miyuki had asked Saph to try his best to heal Percy, and the cat had approached Percy and his current entourage, and a strange blue aura had grown around both the cat and the young man, and to those around the air felt moist. Saph grunted. "RRGGH. He's too injured for me to heal right now, all I can do is stabilize him and dull the pain a little." The cat spoke, explaining why he was struggling.

Miyuki, now, was using the Babylon key to prop herself up, and weakly rising once again to her feet, panting. "Then keep it up... We can't... let him... Die..." she forced out, obviously continuing to be drained more as Saph used some of her power to augment his own. a sweat had broken out over Miyuki's brow, but she held on as much as she could, focused intently on the action.
Straken

Post by Straken »

“Melt the ice?” Ruarc repeated in Japanese as he turned back to Miyuki when she called to him. “It’ll be done then.”

“This means using Dragon Fire again. Laoise, come to me,” the Druid called to his familiar.
”Alright, here I am. You have need of my assistance?” the dove said to her Keeper as she sped out of the black sky and landed on his shoulder.
”I am going to melt the ice around that thing, but my reserves aren’t enough to put much energy into it. So I am going to need a small boost from you alright?”
”If you say so, but you had better bring home some good bread from that school next time you are there.”

With that, Ruarc quieted his mind and tried to focus what mana he had in reserve. Laoise was a comforting weight on his shoulder, and as he gathered energy he could feel her lending him some of her own. Small as it was, it gave the Druid enough mana to be able to cast the spell effectively. He then stuck out his left arm with his palm directed at his target, and he used his right arm to hold the left one steady while he cast.
“This wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t have these broken ribs constantly objecting to my ideas,” he mumbled to himself in Irish as he waited for his time to cast.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"You can stop all of this...?" asked Percy to the dark figure, an almost appealing face spreading over his eyes. The young man could feel the coolness still, and it slowly began to become warmer. He was dying, and for some reason... it was comforting. Maybe it was the reaper's words, or perhaps death made him think that he would be missed little. It was as comforting as it was saddening. Would his life end like this?

The fading darkness said no. The ending shroud bended back, and the reaper became real no more. What was real, were the healing energies taking hold within him. Writhing spells of wondrous magic of creation. He could feel his heart slowing back to a normal beat, and what pain he had inside was slowly subsiding. He looked up and saw them, people trying to save him. He saw tears of a man he recognized as one of the teachers at the school, he saw the strain that Saph was putting on himself, and he saws Riley's scared expression, hampering that usual smile that always made the day seem less terrible. It was almost too much. He looked at the real Gashadokuro, and realized that if he didn't get better soon, all he would serve was a distraction as it came down on them. Now wasn't the time to be considering kindness or death, as he knew Aurus would tell him...

... It was time for action.

The boy slammed the base of his staff down with all the might in his right hand, and the summoning glyph spread from his feet. Aurus returned to the head of the staff in a ball of energetic orange flame.

"HAL! O DOKTOM O PLANTAE!" howled Percival through the blood-stained mask as viney energies erupted from the staff and the enraptured the group, eventually tightening through them and down at the base of Percival's feet. The light faded to reveal the gentle Modeka hugging tightly at Percy's shin, and healthy green glow emanating from her to him. An aura spread from her, filling everyone around with a satisfying warmth that seemed to make them a little more energetic, and a little more positive. It was like they were fighting witha home-field advantage, and they were winning, that such feeling.

Each passing second seemed to restore Percy's strength, and outwardly, showed that he seemed much less haggard. He dug his fingers under his mask, and pulled it down, revealing his blood stained face. A fresh dribble ran down the edge of his mouth, only to get wiped away by his glove. He stood straight.

"Thank you... All of you... I'm sorry I made you worry, but it's time to face the true enemy." said Percival, looking up at the giant skeleton. He rasped a little, aching slightly from some the trauma. He looked down at Modeka, who seemed to still be working at Percy with her hug. "Modeka, go around and help the rest."

She looked up at him with widened eyes.

"Now." growled Percival, before Modeka gave him a confirming nod and ran away toward the next most injured person, Ruarc. As she ran, every step she took, seemed to bless the grass around her with life. She left a trail of beautiful flowers and wooden sprouts as she made her way to Ruarc, and when got to him, she collided with his calf, and began to wrap her arms tightly around it. The green glow consumed him now, healing his injuries, and making the night feel like day.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

Duncan's entire world consisted of blinding light, deafening sound and oppressive pressure. The Caster Rifle's demolition spell blew the boy out of the skeleton's grasp, but onto a one way course into cracked ribs and a broken leg; it couldn't be helped. It was ether that, or join Mami in a warm embrace. Not that he would have minded, a more animal part of him admitted. Duncan gasped in pain as he put aside the rifle, grasping at the wound with unseeing eyes. Faint muttering followed by brief light had the bone's break rewind into just a crack, enough for him to scoop up his weapon and scramble back onto his feet. Vision slowly returning, pain lancing through his body, Duncan worked the lever and ejected the cherry red brass case, hot sparks scattering as it bounced and rolled along the pavement. As he reached into his pocket for the next round, something crossed his mind, acknowledging the dire situation. 'Under-equipped and caught off guard - I already saw some of the best go this way, but didn't expect it to happen to me...this soon.'

Duncan grimly grinned; unlike them, he knew he was going to make it through this anyways.

As the American boy reached into his pocket for another tool of his trade, something warm and furry brushed against his back. Eyes widening in surprise, Duncan turned to see; he immediately knew who sent it. That Mahou Shoujo. His smile became all the more smug as his conviction was proven right. As he mounted the Familiar, he turned to point his middle finger back at the Gashadokuro. "Just like polo." A wide cone of freezing ice was fired from the digit at the skeleton's hot head as he was carried away. The idea behind the fire and ice attack was simple; even the toughest of metals couldn't withstand becoming hotter than hell and then being brought back to cooler temperatures with a sudden jump.

They often broke and shattered.