Fredrick Haverthorn - From Glen to Glen

These are stories that take place prior to the main story. While important in fleshing out characters, they do not necessarily need to be read to understand the story.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Fredrick Haverthorn - From Glen to Glen

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Dextera Patris,
Lapis angularis,
Via salutis,
Janua caelestis,
Ablue nostri
Maculas delicti.

It is a quiet summer and a gentle breeze is blowing across a vast emerald green pasture. Lush grass spreads across rolling hills that stretch farther than the eye can see. The air smells fresh and clean. The sounds of a dozen different birds and insects can be heard from all around, and a stream can be heard in the distance. The sky is soft blue and a pair of eyes look up and try to pick out shapes among the clouds. The eyes are soft and gentle with a shade of blue so pure that they seemed to reflect the sky.

A young boy sits against a fence post a few feet away gazing listlessly at the young girl lying in the grass. The girl tilts her head to look at the boy through rings of curly brown hair, and she starts to giggle. “You’re doing it wrong, Silly. You are supposed to look at the sky,” she said with smile.

“I would, but what I really want to look at isn’t up there,” the boy replied, doing his best to match the girl’s smile. The girl began to laugh. “That is the cheesiest thing I have ever heard!” the girl said as she rolled on the ground. The boy began to blush with embarrassment.

The girl stopped laughing, got up, and walked over to the boy and sat down. She smiled wide and threw her arms around the boy before giving him a kiss on the cheek. “You don’t have to try so hard,” she said, now laying her head on his shoulders. “I am glad you asked me out. I really am.”
DATE: May 24, 4030A.D. (3 years before Betrayal)

“The sky is overcast today,” said the young man as he looked out the window of the bus as it drove through Dublin. “I wish it could have been sunny.”

The young woman sitting next to him wrapped her arms around him and laid her head against his shoulder. “I wish you weren’t leaving, I couldn’t care less about the sky,” the woman interjected.

He reached up to hold the woman’s hand. “Now don’t be that way. You’ve always loved looking at the sky,” the man said trying to cheer the woman up. “When the sky clears up I want you to look up and find shapes in the clouds again. Then you can send me a letter telling me what you saw. How does that sound?”

The woman was now trying to bury her face in the man’s shoulder. Her response was muffled and incoherent. The man scowled. “Hey, look at me,” he said as he moved his hand to gently lift the woman’s chin so that the two of them were looking in each other’s eyes. “I don’t want ya to be sad.”

The woman buried her face in the man’s shoulder again. The man smiled softly. He then put his own arm around the woman, and took her left hand and cupped it gently in his right. The woman’s hand was much smaller and fit easily in the man’s palm. “So long as ya wear this ring I gave ya, then we’ll always find each other again.”

The woman hugged his tighter. “I love you, Fred. Promise me you’ll stay safe,” she said softly.

Fred smiled softly and rested his head against hers. “And I love you, Cassandra, and I always will.”

The two sat quietly like this for the remainder of the ride.
After a half hour the bus pulled into a cavernous pavilion. “Dublin Spacepo’t,” the driver announced. Silently the two got off the bus, and Fred grabbed his duffle bag from the luggage compartment. Hesitantly they entered the massive spaceport and navigated their way to gate eighty-five where Fred was to board his shuttle.

When they reached the gate they stopped and faced each other. A brief moment later Fred moved in and gave Cassy a long kiss goodbye, after the kiss she wrapped her arms around him again. “Don’t forget about me Fredrick Haverthorn,” she warned him.

“From this moment right now until the moment you are back in my arms, I swear that I will be thinking of no one or nothing else except you. You are my purpose for living, and I will always love you,” he vowed. Without another word he backed away and walked up to the gate, gave his ticket, and was ushered down the hall to board the shuttle.

He thought it would be dashing and romantic to not look back, just like the heroes in the movies. To this day this has been his biggest regret.
DATE: June 17, 4033A.D. (approximately 7 days before the Betrayal)