[Safeholme] The Boston Consortium

Straken

Re: [Safeholme] The Boston Consortium

Post by Straken »

"I wish I was retired," Ruarc said with a slightly bitter chuckle. "Not that easy to leave this job behind."

From the cottage, almost as though summoned by the gaze of an intruder, one of Safeholme's other newest guardians pushed its way out of the patio door left slightly ajar. Plodding along on feet too big the ball of fur made its way to Ruarc's side. With a breezy flop, the puppy sat at the man's feet and gazed up at Tabitha through heavy lidded eyes. A high pitched whine came from its throat followed by an adorably brave yip of a bark. One, two, three barks sounded before little Alva looked back expectantly at Ruarc. Dropping a hand down Ruarc scooped the large pup up and into his lap. Burying his hand in the voluminous fur, the Irishman scratched his newest family member behind the ears. Alva, from his new vantage point, shifted his curious gaze over to Zippo, and in turn cocked his head toward Cait; another light growl growing before Ruarc placed a firm hand on the pup's head.

The entire time the druid was observing Alva, he considered Tabitha's most recent question. Making a visible show of thinking it over, he finally turned back to the investigator. "The power of teamwork?"
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Tabitha looked like a child of rapt attention, bent over the table as she watched the dog approach. The sprite on her shoulder gasped and tried to find somewhere to hide. He tried to duck under the woman's curtain of black hair, but she quickly plucked the faerie out, holding him by his wings away from her well-kept styling.

The investigator's eyes stared plainly at the pup, but the eyes themselves seem to dilate. With a slow blink, they were back to normal, and back on Ruarc. That same little smile was present.

"He's looks absolutely scrumptious."

The way her hand moved, it looked as though she considered reaching out to pet the dog. Instead, her fingers curled back in, and she rested her cheek on her fist. Zippo swayed back and forth, her rapt interest fading for a moment; and she spoke strangely.

"Sorrow."

"Doubt."

"Fear."

"Shame."

"Woe."

"Loathing."

At that, Grimley seemed to be coming out of whatever she was experiencing, and idled herself for a moment holding Zippo over the dog. The faerie seemed to know true fear as he got as close as he ever wanted to, bending his knees in to make him as small as possible.

"Do those mean anything to you, Mr. Flynn? They're just random concepts, but I hear that they're whispered over and over and over among the divine courts."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"I know you should feel shame for the fear you're causing the poor sprite," Ruarc growled, positioning a large hand between Alva and Zippo until the faerie was moved away. For what it was worth Alva didn't seem very hungry, and was simply beginning to sniff at the new creature. The Irishman's mood had become stern, and his brow was set.

"I am familiar with those titles," the druid said flatly as he crossed a leg over his knee, both to give Alva a larger area to lie down as well as to display obstinate body language to Ms. Grimley. "Those are simply names of unfortunate shades. Powerful, twisted beyond reason, intent upon destruction. They bore similarities to the old gods, but gods were gone long before I got there."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Grimley's demeanor shifted.

From the odd, catty behavior came a woman who seemed to have found her purpose. Zippo found himself sat down on the table, and another little stone was set next to him. The frost sprite seemed a bit shaken, but dutifully picked up the stone, and charged it. A small stream of information began flowing from the edges, like wisping lines of smoke.

"So they were counterparts of the old gods. Sorrow, Fear, Doubt, Shame, Woe, Loathing were just names... Meaning that the divinities probably found it a little disturbing they were running rampant," Tabitha gave Ruarc a big smile, despite his stern demeanor, "See, Mr. Flynn? If we're all just honest with each other we can clear up the misunderstandings that come from second parties. The consensus in the community is that the Gods were not dead, and your group of suspects went on a killing spree."

The words she spoke seem to flow from her mouth and into the gemstone. She added a few more, "If the Gods were all dead before you arrived, how is it they came to die? If you slayed the shades, how is it that your friend, Mr. Caxton, is still alive? There are suspicions within the Kyoto Office of the Occultus that he is ultimately responsible."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"A lingering rot had set over the world, and the gods along with it. Dead, but didn't know it; and if you had seen Percy around that time, you could use the same words to describe him," Ruarc maintained his hardlined tone, he was growing weary of this woman's game.

"As for the how of the aftermath, best I can equate it to is a forest fire. When an old growth forest becomes to dense and choked, a forest fire can breath new life into it. Perhaps it just got its new beginning; defibrillating Percy in the process. I dont know how, so if you keep asking the best you're going to get are guesses."

Ruarc followed by doing a similarly inhospitable move to when he first sat down. He poured himself the last cup of tea, not even leaving the dregs.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

It was then that Ruarc got to see the Cheshire grin, a sweet, self-satisfied smile filled in with fangs.

"Mr. Flynn, you've been nothing but helpful. I don't think further questioning is necessary at this point," said Tabitha with a thin layer of molasses in her tone, hands rising in a consolatory gesture. She shrugged and tilted her head. "I know so much more than when I came in a minute ago."

As she gathered up her stones, Zippo got distracted by the cottage again, but this time, he flew off. He seemed to be drawn by the doorway.

Grimley continued on, not paying attention to him. "I know how this all looks, Mr. Flynn, you come out of a shitshow of an experience, probably saw some people die, and you get this pretty thing come up to ask questions like she belongs. I'd be a little upset too; maybe a little more pleased with the pleasant company, but still a little upset. I get it a lot, wherever I go."

She pointed at her 'winning' expression, quirking a brow, "Must be the face. Momma always said I had crazy eyes. Then aga-- Hey! Zippo! Get back here!"

The sprite was at the doorway, and jumped at his name. He looked back at Tabitha, who reserved little of her pleasant demeanor for the fae. Without a word, he flew into Ruarc's cottage. Grimley's fingers curled into fists as she stared on, gaze filled with tepid annoyance. Then, she took a sharp breath, and wiped a hand over her face to change her disgruntled expression to something pleasant.

"I'm sorry about him," offered the investigator, pushing back her chair, "He's not very well trained. Mind if I get him real quick?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc was petting Alva with one hand while holding his tea in the other. Sitting straight in his chair, he could pass as a wonderfully rustic movie villain. Similarly, the look he gave Tabitha was cold and suspicious. Part of him was tempted to tell her no and that he would mail her the sprite. He did not want this woman in his home. Even beyond his feelings of animosity towards her, he was guilty of more than the assault on the Elementia. In the back of his mind he still felt paranoid about the druid histories heist he had perpetrated a few months prior. For all he knew Miss Grimley here was actually investigating the incident in Avignon; of which, damnable evidence existed hidden within the druid's cottage. But, over the years, somehow, Ruarc had never turned away a guest; it'd be suspicious to start now.

"Be my guest," Ruarc said before picking Alva up and setting the sleepy pup back on the ground. Looking over towards the squirrel, he gestured with his cup of tea to inquire if she would be joining. "Miss NicTormad?"

With that Ruarc strode steadily to his door and opened it up. The patio door lead into the side hall, the stairs just to the left, and the kitchen and dinning area was just ahead around the corner. Polished hardwood and sage green tartan drapes defined the hall. The home felt cozy, and smelled of baked goods and old books.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

As Ruarc opened the door to his cottage to allow his visitor in, he found a guest that hadn't been there when he had exited earlier with the tea. Zippo had found her first, and the two of them were floating over in the dining area, staring at one another in wonder. She was the same size as the frost sprite, with a head of hair that fluttered upward, like an open flame. Unlike Zippo's angular, icy wings, hers were rounded, with a whipping radiance of heat.

It was Jakku, the Fire Sprite.

As the door opened, the scene of the two faeries lasted long enough for Ruarc, Tabitha and Ceit to catch them, before the fae turned to see them. Zippo wilted under Tabitha's gaze, whereas Jakku looked to Ruarc. There was nothing in her eyes of her intent, but she snatched up Zippo's hand and flew up the stairs to the second floor with him.

"You didn't tell me you had a faerie of your own," remarked Tabitha as she looked about in the quaint cottage, taking in the scents and scene. She started to make her way over to the stairs to follow the errant fae, but stopped before she could ascend.

There was a discomforting looking in her eyes, as if she had heard a disturbing noise. Her mouth curled in such a way that spoke of a smile that wasn't meant to be seen. "You know, I said no more questions, but I just remembered one. One of those official ones we need to ask for the forms and paperwork. The pencil pushing sort of stuff."

Grimley crossed her arms, tilting her head to one side, "Any foreign travel in the last three months?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

"I don't," Ruarc responded flatly. "I get all sorts of visitors, and the fae in particular have a habit of inviting themselves in."

The Irishman's words gradually grew into a growl as the two sprites flittered upstairs. Pinching the bridge of his nose under his glasses, he let out an exasperated sigh. Some days he admired the folks who became hermits. Living day by day on the land, no visitors. Instead, he had to go and become a modern day Bilbo Baggins. The fact that a posse of dwarves hadn't helped themselves to his pantry yet; although Riley had a number of times, so there was that.

"I'm a busy man, contrary to what many tend to believe," Ruarc replied, both in response to Grimley's question and a statement that he wants this exchange resolved. "And to be frank, I fail to see how that question pertains to either presumptery god slaying, or faerie fetching."

"So, iffen its on there for the sake of pencil pushing, then yeah, feel free to mention a business trip I took to Manchuria a month and a half ago."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"China, huh? I've never been a fan," Grimley's head tilted the other way, and her curiosity seemed to fade. "Asia in general. It's just too tropical for me, though that might be the Japan talking."

She stepped past the stairs and began looking at the Kitchen, taking everything in with a polite smile. "I'm a bigger fan of Europe, myself. Been to a lot of western countries out there. The U.K, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany..."

The door to the guest room under the stairs creaked open, and she peeked inside it. There was audible sniff, before she popped her head back out to be seen with a too-saccharine expression. "... Switzerland, Italy, Spain. Even been to Andorra, and I don't think many people even know where that is."

She made her way to the books and gave another audible sniff and gaze softened. The Consortium investigator seemed to lose herself in the material. Ruarc could see her eyes reacting strangely to whatever she seemed to see.

Then, she looked over her shoulder, beaming, "Oh! What am I doing? They went up the stairs. Should we go check it out?"