[Safeholme] The Boston Consortium

Mr. Blackbird Lore

Re: [Safeholme] The Boston Consortium

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Lady silently acquired two tea cups in turn. After pouring both, she set the half-full cup before the frost sprite with a smile warm enough to melt him. The other she kept to herself. In tea drinking she was still the avatar of poise and grace. She sipped silently while Tabitha tried to skirt the conversation around Lady.

"The potential accusations, Mr. Flynn, are best discussed in a confidential location as they pertain to your activities a week ago. The World Police are concerned you may have aggravated some wrathful-" she caught herself before she said 'divinities'- "-entities. Naturally, whenever America is not the one doing the aggravating, it is cause for alarm and investigation. I think they just miss Nuremberg, though. They're a nostalgic lot."

Throughout her explanation, Lady only had eyes for Ruarc, as if Grimley and her sprite didn't exist. When at last she finished, the counselor returned to her tea.
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

"Ah dinnae ken. Ah dinnae imagine our ain Ruarc is one ta just blether and boke out anything important." The thick accented words came from out and under the patio's table. The voice was light, but loud enough that small ripples bloomed in the tea. A squirrel scurried out into view and sat up on its back legs.

"Aaah. Am a pure nick, I am." The squirrel grabbed its own tail and furiously wiped its paws across a variety of different cow-licked and otherwise unpresentable patches of fur. After a moment longer of grooming than seemed acceptable the squirrel dropped its tail like it was made of hot iron. "-no, no Ceit yer on business; yer here ta do yer dinger-" Shaking its head the squirrel snapped its attention up at the humans far above it and cleared its throat in an attempt to sound authoritative.

"Pardons tae you all- ahm Ceit NicTormad, Gramarye of the Circle, and ahm here ta make sure it is understoodd that yin Ruarc Flynn falls under the authority of the Senior Druids nae matter what this informal inquiry is aboot and that the Circle has already documented and recognized this as an inquiry even if it goes nae further." The squirrel looked towards both Lady and Tabitha before offering a short bow. "Ah do hope we ladies can get along!"

With an awkward pause, still far low on the ground below everyone else, Ceit the Squirrel looked back over her shoulder at Ruarc. "Open yer geggie an' offer me ah chair if you would please Mister Flynn."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The only person who didn't seem to acknowledge the newcomer was Zippo, who was blushing an icy white under Sumedha's gaze. He seemed to focus on the tea intently, blowing on it to cool it down. The tiny gust spread a layer of frost over the top, which he poked with his fists to break the surface.

Tabitha, however, didn't take her eyes off Ruarc.

"I can see why you set up out here," said Tabitha, her smile fading a little bit, "Easy for people to come find you. Which is why I know... I know you're the one who'd give me an honest answer. Why else would the Circle send an agent to check to see if you'd talk to me first?"

Grimley turned to gaze at Ceit finally, giving her a fanged grin.

"Lady's not far off the mark, Mr. Flynn," Tabitha looked back at the Druid, returning to him a fangless smile, "There are plenty of otherworlders old enough to remember the Age of Legends. Before magic made its shuffle into the dark. When Godslayers walked the earth."

She let that sink in for a moment, "So you can't blame a quiet neighborhood for getting worried when an entire realm goes dark after the systematic deaths of six Gods. Eryl Maelgwyn, a woman who was just coming off parole for the Caxton Incident is sensed in the area in and around the time of the incident. A powerful bridge is felt across the world to the Land of Dreams and Mist, hours before it dies."

Skrt. Skrt. Grimley scooted her chair in a couple short slides around the table to the Druid, getting a bit close. "Godslaying. Blood mages. The collapse of an entire realm, and no one's got a straight answer as to why. You could say people -- those aware -- are worried that those involved may become like the bear that tasted human blood; realize that there's nothing to fear from otherworlders."
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

"Miss Investigator ah must remind you that with both a Keeper and ah Gramarye present that this informal interview is with an official coinneachadh of the Circle an' not simply ah blether 'tween individuals." The blank, inhuman stare of the squirrel responded easily back to Tabitha's grin. "So, ah must ask if it is the Consortium's intent ta insinuate that The Circle of the Keepers of the Divine dunnae what ta do aboot confronting tha' divine or, ta keep it short, do ye think we're just glaikit or rabid?"

"And naw am ah done, there's mair." The squirrel, still unseated due to a certain lack of hospitality, paced back and forth by the table while her tail bristled appreciatively. "Ah assume yer superiors huvnae tol' ye because ye brought up tha young Eryl Maelgwyn on yer ain, but tha Circle is currently bringing aboot charges against both the Consortium an the Occultus too fer misidentifying tha young missy during that joint-Inquest of both of yers." Ceit stopped and did her best animal impression of placing her paws on her hips. "Yer Investigators foun' Eryl Maelgwyn ta be a Prisoner of Time an' fully culpable an' in need of invasive surveillance but it is as blind as tha sun in tha marn that tha girl is ah Divine Homunculus an' therefore needed ta be provided wit' both protections an' guidance due to tha extreme duress involved in such ah case. She's due restitution fer tha gross negligence of both sides an' the Circle has made ah mind ta see it done."

"So." The squirrel's small foot tapped against the ground soundlessly. "Ah have ta ask if what ah'm looking at is yerself as a cudgel or jus' glaikit enough ta get dumped here ta harass Keeper Flynn fer bringing aboot trouble fer yer bosses."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Ruarc was finding it difficult to focus one precisely phrasing his statements, maintaining his bearing in the conversation, and now listening to the squirrel. While he understood her, it didn't mean he liked paying attention to her. The Scots were... difficult. On the one side of him, Ceit paced, on the other Tabitha was scooting closer to him. He genuinely regretted coming outside, and considered saying he was going inside to grab something and just not come back out. Folding one arm across his chest, he sipped more of his tea as he processed Tabitha first. Contrary to her deduction, he hadn't set up here because it was easy for people to find him; in fact that was the thing he disliked the most about the cottage. He had set up here because he was offered a job, and then his employer died and left him a task in her will that he didn't feel right refusing.

"Miss Grimley, those people are anxious about me doing my job," Ruarc said, his voice firm and matter-of-fact. "There was a matter that needed resolving that fell within my jurisdiction. As per my responsibility as a Keeper I could not ignore it, but similarly I did not believe it to be within my abilities to handle the matter single-handedly; thus obtaining the aide of associates I have worked with many times, and trust with my life. I didn't go out looking for gods to kill, I went to work. Just the same, I'm not going to go out looking for more gods to kill unless they start causing trouble, and that trouble falls within my jurisdiction. At which point, I will go back to work."

Taking another long sip, he considered his next words carefully.

"And if any of my associates ended up getting a taste for it?" Ruarc started again, his tone now steeled and official. "Then I will go to work."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The words were weighty; they were enough to stop the course of the conversation. Zippo stared up from his cup of ice-cold tea, caught mid-drink. His black eyes considered the keeper carefully, as if a wolf had padded onto the table. The investigator had her eyes on him as well; big, deep pools of gold radiating a sense of rapt curiosity.

Tabitha licked her lips. Her gaze drifted off the druid to Sumedha, her eyebrows hopping.

"You know, the question about Eryl Maelgwyn comes up every couple of years," said Tabitha, finally coming back to Ceit, shifting herself to put her back to Ruarc. "I remember when the report of the Caxton Incident leaked out to the community. In every group. Every group. There was always one person who read it and swore up and down Eryl did nothing wrong."

Grimley hooked a finger with her other hand as she counted them off, "She was out of place. She was out of time. She was a homunculus! A victim in a story that painted her as a villain with no parole. Misjudged. Misguided. Misattributed. Racially profiled."

The investigator shrugged her shoulders with that same catty smile, "And it's true. She's a Divine Homunculus, like you said. She was remade into this world as a homunculus using the arm of a young man, with the mind of a young woman from the Victorian era. She is divine in the powers that made her, but her circumstances don't change the fact that she tried to melt Mr. Flynn's good friend into a magic cheese-steak to eat him.

"Now if there was new information about her circumstances that arose out of recent developments. Well... No one's talking."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"I'm not one of the ones that think she did nothing wrong," Ruarc said in the same hard tone as he met Tabitha's gaze. "But even after fighting her with everything I had, I was raised believing that anyone can be redeemed so long as they want to be redeemed. If Eryl wants redemption, then I will help her; and if it is a trick, then I will make her regret being a waste of an arm."

As punctuation, Ruarc took another sip of tea and pushed the chair on the other side of his out with his foot.
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

"Whit ah interesting thing tae say. It certainly is ah helpful perspective." Ceit's tail twitched happily as the squirrel scurried under the table and then rushed up into the chair that had been kicked out into the open on the other side. Now further up into everyone else's line of sight, the possessed creature brought one paw up to meet its chin. "Ah'm also no worried aboot whether Miss Maelgwyn is ah criminal or naw. Soo, let's keek at tha process instead of the sentence, aye?"

The squirrel brought its other paw up to join the first as Ceit slumped down slightly more comfortable and broke her gaze away from Tabitha. "The Occultus 'ad already looted tha coffers of the company the deceased Eryl had been part of for tha' expedition inta tha other world. Ah doubt they asked mair questions than it took to seem like they actually cared. Dead, reconstituted, or simply time-bound the missy were guilty through and through so their money weren't going nae where."

"With that the case - a neutralised librarian wit' nae backers, nae riches, and nae friends - whit was there fer anyone tae be going after?" The squirrel turned its attention back on to the Consortium Investigator. "Fer yin, ah 'magine another asset in yer bonnet is always somethin' tae look forward tae." Ceit crossed her paws in front of her chest. "Tha' Circle had ah body on the scene, tha OM probably had ah report dryin' 'fore anyone from tha' Caxton Incident had even gone tae sleep. And yet, their group hadna ever taken much to Mister Leetenbaum."

The squirrel shrugged and held one paw out level wobbling it in an unbalanced gesture.

"Ah get it. Ye wake up yin marn an' find out that ah lie ye had used as leverage got tupped up by the truth. It's stressful. Noo ye gottae come down with ye pleasant face plastered on an' tell everyone that it is only civilized ta' share all the information ye lost yer backdoor tae." The squirrel held both paws up in the air. "Soo, naw, ah think there has been plenty spoken fer. Whit ah dunnae is what is whit ye've lost worth tae ye."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Lady's cup clinked as she set it down, declaring it was her turn to speak. "I think what we've established, Miss Grimley, is that you are wasting not only our time but your own. The matter is outside your jurisdiction- frankly, the only entity with jurisdiction there is the man within whom it presides." She rose to her feet. "Mr. Flynn, you clearly have this matter handled. When you've a moment, I do have something I'd like to discuss. I'll be in my office. Excuse me." With a polite nod to the groundskeeper, Lady took her leave with nary a glance back.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Tabitha loomed over the squirrel, sharp teeth spreading in a little smile as she spoke, "Nothing."

The Investigator tilted her head a bit more, "Eryl might have been a good girl, or... at least an unfairly treated lady, but was she a good girl last Friday? She certainly isn't making it easy to find out."

Zippo had his fill of tea, and was watching Lady leave with a forlorn stare. The clinking mane of ice crackled as he looked back to Ruarc, drawn to the animal, primal energy the Druid commanded. Tabitha's eyes caught Zippo's and she snapped her fingers. The faerie broke from his trance and looked at her, seeing her swirling finger pointing at her shoulder.

The frost faerie looked pensive, but did as instructed.

"So we have a triclops of a reputation that the jury's still out on, and a powerful Keeper who admits to slaying Gods," spoke Grimley, a husky vibrato on the latter statement. Finally, she turned back to Ruarc, her face quite placid and soft, a smile of perfect teeth. "This has been a pretty good trip, if I do say so myself. Which I do."

She giggled, pointing a finger at herself as if to emphasize the point, before leaning back over the table. "You know, have you ever watched like... Any action movie? Where the hero is out in the middle of B.F. Egypt, living off the land in a log-cabin he made with his own two hands? And some government stiff comes out, dragging him back into whatever high-profile gig he was working before he retired? I'm getting that vibe from you. It's fun, I'm really into it."

Zippo turned his head, towards the cabin, as if distracted by something. Grimley didn't seem to notice, and continued, "I feel like that's what happened, right? Eryl comes in, the 'stiff', and 'pulls you out of retirment' for a job that only you and a select few can do. Right? What was that job? What was the work?"

A little smile spread on Tabitha's face as she played herself out as more of curious friend, than probing investigator, "How'd you all not die when you killed the last one? The realm should have just folded, right? What's up with that?"