[Aside] Stirring the Hearts

Kokuten

[Aside] Stirring the Hearts

Post by Kokuten »

It had almost been a week and a half since the training session under Duncan, everything had gone considerably normal since then. This sort of thing was something Percival Caxton could appreciate, a solid, peaceful break from the craziness. Even a boy who new of the magical world just wanted to live in it, not be succumbed to the dangers of it. When he had learned Magical Practices 7 back in Bangor, a class of which he failed in practice but aced academically, there was little mention of how the uses of these magicks could be used to further one past their fellow mage. Of course, Percival reasoned, this was because the teachers wanted their students to focus on magical 'advancement' not personal gain.

Yet, even with magic now, Percival had different problems, non-mag problems. He was still getting the hang of the Japanese language and all its customs. Japanese mothers often looked at him with questioning gaze. He could always hear gossip behind his back. This wasn't too unusual, he was a westerner who always wore a beret despite being told repeatedly not to. Of course, Percival would refuse, his Class-B Alchemist status was the proudest accolade he had, even if the non-mags couldn't appreciate it.

Then... There was Kagami Miyuki, a 'magical girl' as Duncan liked to call her. There was nothing magical about her, save certain things. Whenever Percival thought of her capabilities, he scoffed at just how ignorant she was of the world she stepped into. She had no academic knowledge of magic, nor did she truly grasp the level of her technique. The girl had so much power, but she lacked the capabilities of using it to the fullest. Still, that wasn't even the source of his issues. Miyuki was his friend, at least up to a week and a half ago, when he had found himself stuffed between her thighs in an unfortunate accident that left his nose nearly broken.

Things had become awkward between them, and Percy hated it. Kagami had been Percival's first friend in the school, and the first to make him feel welcome. He wanted to keep that, but it was hard to do. Everytime he looked at her, she somehow caught him right as he glanced, and the two shared a staring moment that ended with either one or both blushing. Even if he tried to think of her as a regular friend, he was always reminded of that small conflict they never resolved.

He pondered these things, as he chilled on a bus stop in the mid-winter months. He was wrapped up in his cold-weather uniform, a scarf firmly tugged around his neck. The Elemental Gods seemed to reserve to themselves, assuming a somber mood in the cold months. He had been alone, the streets fairly empty of people, save for a singular passer-by. Had he not missed the first bus, he would already have been somewhere nice a toasty.

He silently cursed his luck as he conserved what heat he could on that wooden bench.

Another pair of feet was heard moving toward the bus stop, though this time it was at a much more hurried pace than the previous, casual passers-by from before. The owner of the shoes which made the noise passed the bench by, but then, the footsteps were checked, and they stopped, as the person seemed to notice Percy where he sat on the bench. The crunch of small pebbles beneath the feet could be heard as the figure turned, and then a sigh escaped from their lips. It was one that Percy recognized- the very girl he had been thinking of not a moment before.

If he bothered to look up, he would see her standing there, hands on her hips, as she looked down on him, striking a pose and making a face that spoke of both disappointment, and worry. "You'll catch cold if you just sit out here like this too long" The girl chided the Welshboy, rolling her eyes and shaking her head in mild disapproval. "You've been like this lately. Always late to class. Honestly, it's faster if you just walk, if this is the stop you're coming from."

Percival's head sunk into his scarf a little bit.

"I always catch this bus in the morning, it's just," the boy turned his head, his mouth secluded by a yarn-knit hearth, "I've been doing some work, and it's sort of made it hard to get up in time for school. Besides, I get cold too easily walking in this weather, I prefer a bus where I can at least huddle up."

That had to have been the most they had said to one another since the training with Duncan. He wondered a little bit at how she noticed his absence, but he disregarded it, considering they sat right next to one another. "Anyways, what are you doing this way? How come you're so late?"

"I'm not late." Miyuki defended. "Or did you forget that we don't have homeroom today?" Again, she shook her head, jet hair swishing back and forth as she did so, the ends of her own scarf swinging back and forth like a pendulum, as well. "Honestly. It's like your head's been all muddled since..." Miyuki stopped talking, and blushed- She looked a bit angry, as well, as if fighting back the urge to hit Percy or something. She stammered.

"A-Anyway, You didn't even have to get the early bus today, and I always walk lately, since I'm on the track team." Miyuki huffed, taking a defensive stance, crossing her arms across her chest and looking down her nose at Percy.

There was always a bit of a haughty air with this girl, Percy thought. Miyuki had the right to be proud, though, she was on the team for a reason. The young welshmen didn't play sports, the excercise he got was mostly from moving around his labs, and occasionally getting up to get something to drink. Still, he stayed rather thin, as his narrow, smooth face would testify, with his brown hair pushing down a little over his brow from under his beret.

"That would explain how you're able to keep moving so well, your legs must be--..." Percival started, then immediatey stopped, sinking his head back into his scarf again, like a turtle running from trouble. She already looked angry as it were. He cleared his throat, trying to save what little of the situation remaiend, "I g-guess you're about to walk to school now?"

Miyuki frowned. She wasn't dense, she knew what Percy almost said. but, she kept her mouth shut about it. "Well, I was going to run a few kilometers before class, but, since you're so hopeless, I guess I'll have to help you now. You'll still be late for class if you wait for the next bus, anyway." The girl reached her hand out, and grabbed one of Percy's own, tugging him up and off the bench- She was much stronger than her thin frame looked, and it wasn't much of an effort for her to get him off his seat.

"The reason you're so cold when you walk is because you aren't moving fast enough" Miyuki explained, an almost disdainful tone to her voice. "And besides, being physically fit will help you out just about everywhere in your life. Even just a jog to school would be enough for someone lame like you to get more energy in the long run."

Percival groaned in a mild annoyance as he was pulled up from his warm position, all the previously safe parts of his body now opening up to the chilling air seeping into his clothes. The bite of the cold was more than unwelcome. Indeed it would get cold in Bangor, but at the very least, he could take a car places. He missed the country.

"I can see why Watanabe makes her own way to school..." quietly commented Percival in an off-hand way, staring off to the side as he was pulled up beside the girl. He didn't seem to mind how easily he was moved, the boy was used to being pushed around. Though, he found it best to simply move with the flow until he found his own. "If I put too much energy into my body, that means less energy to put in my books, and my experiments." The boy waved his hand lightly, "I'm pretty sure I can brew a potion for something like that."

Miyuki released Percy's hand, and then grabbed his shoulder, and shook him vigorously for a moment. "None of that. Your body can make more energy when it's in better physical shape. it's simply physics- an Object in mostion, stays in motion." The shaking done, Miyuki's hands returned to his, and she stuck out her lower lip, almost pouting.

"Besides, You need to be able to fend for yourself if nobody can help."

He looked at her, and then at her fingers wrapping around his own. The boy seemed to think on it for a bit, as he readjusted his beret with his free hand. The thought of walking all the way to school didn't appeal to him all that much. Yet... at the same time, if it meant walking the whole way hand-in-hand...

That normally plain face turned up into a small smile, a little energy pushing into his body. She was making it hard to say no in the first place, though he had to resist trying to correct her on the more poetic-than-correct use of physics.

"Okay, I'll try it."

Miyuki smiled back, if only for a moment. "Well, let's see you walk first, are you slow like Duncan's fake act, or are you quick like Riley?" she asked, tugging on Percy's arm gently, letting go with one of her hands, and then turning so that she was facing in the direction they needed to take to get to school. "I need to know what I'm working with or I won't be able to help you."

"Well of course I go at Riley's pace," chuckled Percy a little bit, a weak grin on his face, as he rubbed the back of his head, "If I didn't, I'd have to go without supper for telling mum I lost her. It's hard playing her big brother, especially if she gets distracted by something." He quickly recalled how cold it was, and put that free hand back in his pocket.

"Well, then. Today is jogging to school!" Miyuki announced, and Percy could feel a more insistent tug on his arm as Miyuki first began to step, then pick up her pace, and finally as she dragged the welshboy along, actually begin Jogging.

It was up to him whether or not he would keep up, at least for the moment, as it seemed that Miyuki was determined to keep up her prior pace. "For most people-" she began suddenly, turning back toward Percy for a moment, before looking back forward to check her heading, and then turning back to the Westerner "A light jog like this will keep them warm without making them sweat too much. You sweat, and you get chills, so try to avoid that."

The first bit of jogging wasn't so bad, Percy had plenty of confidence.

"Yeah, I can sort of feel it!" said the boy, a little excited by this pick-up in pace trying to match hers and not look to slow doing. He wasn't completely helpless when it came to athletics, but it would show pretty soon that he wouldn't have her stamina. "You jog like this every morning?"

"Every morning my Brother or parents don't feel like giving me a ride" she answered between evenly paced breaths. "Though even when I get a ride I still run the track" Miyuki explained, keeping to the pace, just enough faster than Percy to tug at his hand, but not fast enough to make him stumble. As they rushed to school, the scenery passed by at a pace that was a bit different- Sure, Riley was quick, but she couldn't keep to a straight line if she wanted to, easily distracted as she was, and so Percy likely moved a bit slower than this for most of his time watching her.

This, however was actual jogging. An even pace, straight to the point, purposeful, and determined. Less a quick stroll, this was rather light cardio. Obviously for Miyuki, this was just a warm up, but... "Are you holding up?" Miyuki asked, after a bit.

"Just-- fine..." hummed Percy as he felt his lungs flagging a bit as they began to gain some distance. He would trail a little bit, but as their hands began to loosen, he would speed up, making his pace slightly uneven. She could see a bit of tiredness on his face, even with the mild distance they had traveled. He was still smiling a little, trying to put on a brave face, but it was no less evident that even this was more than he was used to. "I just-- I'll-- Just make it. D-don't worry," wheezed the boy, fighting through the next stage of mild fatigue, "I can do it."

Miyuki slowed her pace down a little as she watched Percy start to show his signs of fatigue. "You'll never make it in the world like this, unless you get really rich, and somehow, I can't exactly see that happening" she joked, as she checked her speed and went from her brisk pace to a much slower jog. It was a fast-walk more than anything else, but, it seemed to have done its job.

Just up ahead, behind a few walls and rooftops, there could be seen the academy's belltower, one of the highest points in the vicinity. "We're almost there anyway. You'll probably make it by now even if I had to push you."

"It's all about... pushing through the pain right?" asked Percival, somewhat hopeful that he could see the school off in the distance. He was thankful for that, as this running/jogging business was not working out quickly. The fact that he wasn't athletic didn't help any, but it was worse that he was still feeling the scars of internal injuries. "I never really played sports... much... back in my old school..." His words were comma'd by deep breaths as he tried to capture a decent pace for his lungs, "most of them... required magic..."

Miyuki laughed. "If the world needed magic to function, then everybody would have it. Or are the masses not good enough for you? How about Hisoka and Hana? They do just fine with no magic. And most of the other students, they aren't magical either." She turned around on her feet and continued walking- now backwards- toward school, and looking over Percy's, well, his almost pathetic form. At least he had given the effort with a minimum of coaxing.

"I think, no more bus rides for you. If we're going to stick together, we all need to be in shape, even if we never use magic again in our lives."

"So we're doing this," Percy took a breath, looking at their hands, and then up at Miyuki, "every morning?" For some reason, sticking together sounded really nice. He occasionally put his free hand up on his head, to adjust his beret, to keep it on his head. "Are you sure? You might... end up... late to school!"

"No excuse!" Miyuki berated Percy in jest, wagging a finger back and forth in front of him. "We'll get you up early if we have to. Besides, My brother is the headmaster, remember? I'll just have him give us a pass or something if we are late." A sharp scraping noise of her heel on the sidewalk was heard as she spun around again, and began walking briskly again, as the school's bell-tower gradually grew in their vision, nearing its full size as they made it to the corner, where Miyuki suddenly halted.

Miyuki let go of Percy's hand now, and looked up at the school, before looking back at him. "I'm still mad at you, you know," she announced, suddenly. "But being mad at you isn't going to help anything." She stared him down, those brown eyes as serious as he had remembered them from the last week or so. "The best i could think of was to try and find a way to keep you from startling so easily. If you're more confident in your body, you shouldn't be afraid of things anymore. Your brain can only protect you so much, if you can't do what it tells you you need to do."

She blushed again, sort of Embarrassed. "Well, At least, that's what my brother always told me. Even if I am smart enough in class, I'm not as intelligent as he is. Still. I know enough to listen when people tell me stuff."

Percival felt a little empowered by that, a little stronger knowing Miyuki was still his friend despite what had happened. There was a comfort more than the warmth under his jacket that let him feel more at ease, more than the success he felt in his mind that he had ran so far. So, he decided to say something with his thanks, something to describe his feelings to her. He wanted convey that measure of thanks, and he did so as best he could in his still learning Japanese. His words came out as...

"I like you."

That left Miyuki speechless. She stood there, eyes wide. She blinked, once. Twice. A rosy flush came over her face as what Percy had said really sunk in. "Oh..." was the first thing she managed to say. She looked off to the side, and down. At her shoes perhaps- no, those didn't help, she could see Percy's too. "Well. I... Umm... That is..." She looked back up at Percy, unsure of what to make of what he had just told her.

Things were about to get even more unreadable as Percival stepped forward, and hugged the girl in a friendly manner, giving her a light squeeze in his arms. The gesture in itself was friendly in his culture, and he did it in complete obliviousness to her own cultures notions towards the contact. "You've made me feel welcome since the first day I came, and it's made life so much easier for me." He leaned back, holding her shoulders in his hands, his smile evident, "You're a nice person, even when you've been wronged. That's why I like you, why I've liked you for quite a while."

It was then he began to notice her face, past his own jovialness, and he began to sweat, but said nothing of it.

Miyuki remained Motionless, frozen in place by the sudden brazenness of Percy's hug- despite the friendly nature, Miyuki reacted nearly as if she were being crushed. She stammered again, backing away, an almost terrified look on her face. What was he talking about? she thought This must be some kind of mistake. She frantically thought of some way to get away without making a scene.

"I- I have to go," she suddenly blurted out, turning around and making a beeline for the school at breakneck speed- at least, as breakneck of speed she could manage without actually running. Whatever Percy's intentions may have been- they did not come across properly in his actions.

"What?" Percy awkwardly stammered, "Did I do something wrong? Kagami-san?" He tried to stumble after her, "Wait!"

He took a quick step forward, before getting the tip of his foot caught on a particularly hard piece of frost on the side-walk. The young boy tumbled, and fell foward onto his chest, just barely catching himself. For a moment, he was a tad a dizzied, before looking up at after Miyuki, "K-Kagami-san! I-- What-- What's wrong!"

It was no use- Miyuki was already gone, past the gates into the school, leaving Percy to fend for himself for the moment. Miyuki continued on her way to class, only looking back once. Vaguely she thought she saw Percy face-down on the ground, but she was so confused by what had just happened that she couldn't think of the proper thing to do, and just kept moving, moving, moving to a safer place.