[Episode 0.75 v2] Class is in Session, Witches!

The story unfolds around Osaka, Japan, with the unlocking of one girl's hidden potential, and a gathering of Young mages whom are destined to change the fate of the Earth.
Kai
Site Admin

Re: [Episode 0.75 v2] Class is in Session, Witches!

Post by Kai »

"Well, I've got no better plan yet, so I might as well!" Katerina responded, grabbing the paper and looking over her barrier at the horse and the unwitting Willow. She waited for her chance, now that the horse was distracted and ran, trying to read the paper as she did so, before slapping it on the horse's flank
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Watching her classmates move about with whatever plan they were enacting Vrey just nodded to them all before giving a last thumbs up to her teacher and dropping from the window she was holding on to. It would only take her a few minutes to run to where she was going and then back with the items she had discerned to be her goal.

The horse would probably be mad about all the paper it was getting slapped about with.

Thinking of her arms full of apples and a bag of munchy oats the hairless teen smiled brighter than she did when around others. It was odd to see how much the rest of the class over thought how to passify an animal.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Famous last words, the teacher thought to herself as Katerina charged at No Name brandishing the little leaflet Drysi had scribbled in a panic. Willow meanwhile had drawn the mount's ire and he reared again to let her know he meant business. It was a prime opportunity for the small elementalist to swoop in with her inscription and slap it on. A small smack could be heard over the din of clomping hooves and fierce vocalization from the gelding. Unfortunately, she failed to properly read out the beautiful script in her rush. What was a sleep spell became a spell that commanded No Name to, "go to bed." Literally, to go to the place where he sleeps.

The black horse turned toward his assailant, knocking over the foolishly brave Katerina, but otherwise doing no harm. Dark eyes fixed on the window through which Vrey had departed. He charged, vaulting over any furniture in his way, and headbutted the pane open. His full sable length disappeared into the rear courtyard, leaving the classroom in a profound silence.

Outside, Vrey would witness No Name's descent and majestic landing. Then, it charged toward her. Before she could react, it had plucked the bag of oats from her embrace and ran off into the woods.

Jane moved to the window, spotted Vrey, and beckoned her up. Once she had all the students back in the room and in their seats, she returned to her place behind the desk. She folded her arms across her chest but wore a smile. "Not bad for y'all's first rodeo in my class. Let's review: Mizz Katerina, quick thinkin. Establishin a safe zone was smart given none y'all had an immediate solution to the problem at hand. Mizz Drysi, keen choice o' scripture. Mizz Vrey, it was a good plan, but prolly not the best given how slow it was. Now Mizz Willow, I gotta say ye got balls. That was downright foolhardy to come at a strange beast wi' no plan, but ye held his attention and it got things done. Now,"

She paused a moment to shift gears and collect a piece of chalk. "Let's talk about what y'all coulda done better. I wanna hear y'all's thoughts first. So, fire away. Oh, and self-critiques only."
Straken

Post by Straken »

After the horse had lept out of the window, Willow quickly went to help Kat up. "Are you alright?" the Brit asked as she extended her hand. Once they were back at their seats, and a more normal class discussion, Willow considered her options. On the one hand, there probably wasn't much she could have done differently and still be helping, but on the other she guessed Jane wasn't going to accept nothing as an answer.

"I could have coordinated better with the others, maybe would have helped things go smoother?" Willow suggested.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

When the horse went kicking, Drysi threw her hands over her eyes, letting the third look on in horror as she was about to witness a case of animal-assisted homicide. A little curse spat under her breath as she watched the inscription light up and fail, and silently wished the girl be trampled for her incompetence. Despite that, she cupped her mouth in shock as the horse knocked said girl down. Then, with its fury done, No Name started for the window, and Drysi ducked her head down to the floor to avoid being eaten alive as if it would help. Thankfully, the horse went its own way instead.

The chaos had passed, and the Welsh girl slowly drew out of her safe shell, and then quickly shot her head out to see if Katerina was alright. Wringing her hands, she got herself up, and was about to offer help when Willow beat her to it. The wringing became a little faster, before she threw her hands down to her sides, muttering, "Idiots."

Back at their desks, Drysi was perfectly composed, in appearance. Under her desk were a pair of shaking hands she hid from everyone else in the room. She was glad that the instructor hadn't taken much time in moving on, and was going to try and get the first word in to knock out her participation so she could go back to silence. Once again, Willow beat her to it, and she let out a sarcastic-sounding laugh.

"Self-critiques? Hmph. I thought I did rather well," said Drysi, sharply pushing up her glasses with a restrained hand, "I suppose it's only fair that I offer a few. I..."

As if she had something stuck in her throat, she swallowed, staring down at her desk. After a short, tranquil pause, she straightened, sitting perfectly regal again. "I should have taken charge, considering the level of experience and awareness. I had a perfect approach, and relied too much on others to see it through. When I craft a spell, I should read it myself and apply it."
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

"GAH!" Katerina yelled as she was suddenly bowled over and sent back into her own barrier, which collapsed from Kat's sudden lack of focus caused by horse. Luckily the falling dirt and debris provided enough cushion to prevent her from being injured, at the expense of getting herself quite dirty in the process. Willow was kind enough to help her up, which garnered a genuine "Thank you!" from the Japanese-American. Once up, she busily went about cleaning up the classroom as well as herself the moment Ms. Jane started class up again. Elemental magic causing the majority of the dust going back out the window, to where it had come from, then blowing the rest away with a bit of wind magic before sitting back down in her desk.

"Well, I suppose I could have been more proactive than reactive, and, it might have helped if I had known how to properly use Drysi's paper magic, though to be fair I haven't had any practice of the sort before, so I'm surprised I could even activate it." Kat gave a small nod at her self-critique, though she knew that it would take a lot of work for her to be able to follow her own advice. Events from the past made her a bit shy of trying something before she could think it through properly.
Straken

Post by Straken »

From outside the window, an Irish voice could be heard bellowing, "Jane! What have Ah told you about bringing No Name into the mansion!?"
Gwathdraug

Post by Gwathdraug »

Vrey nodded her body into a short, awkward bow as the horse took its fodder and made its helter-skelter escape to wherever fate intended to throw it until Jane would be in need again. Clambering easily up and through the window the teen oozed down into a crouch once landing in the class room. Reaching through her skirt and to her pants underneath the hairless girl began to divest bulging pockets of their cargo - apples.

Claiming one of the crisp fleshed morsel for herself Vrey immediately set her teeth into the fruit and held it firmly in front of her mouth. Piling the rest to be cradled between her arm and chest the odd teen flicked her body upwards and walked first to Drysi's desk, then Katerina's, Willow's, and looped back around to Jane's position at the front of the class.

A red, orange, and yellow speckled apple was left behind at each stop.

Finally slumping back to her own seat Vrey's chin immediately fell down to meet the surface of her desk. As Jane's questioning finally reached her the teen poked rather lazily at the apple still blocking and stopping her mouth. In defeat, the girl's arms fell back out of sight and Vrey's eyes trailed around the classroom thoughtfully before glaring at Jane's desk.

Green light quickly pricked across her skin and left raised, illuminated trails of skin ridging across the teen's face.

A few moments into Vrey's glare one of the drawers of Jane's desk abruptly popped open and almost as quickly back. In the scant time it had been open a piece of paper had shot out and drifted perfectly to a creaseless stop right in front of the teacher.
The abhorrent entity has forced this message from this faithful spirit: Provisions shared. No criticism. Full stop. This spirit advises a full banishment to be enacted with most relevant haste!
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

"Good start, Mizz Willow. As ye've jus started, naturally yer at a disadvantage in terms of the arcane. I'm lookin forward t'seein what ye bring with yer unique perspective." She jotted on the board: Coordination.

Leadership was written next. "Jus so. Ain't a body what knows yer magic and intent like yerself. Thank ye, Mizz Drysi. And thank ye, Mizz Katerina fer cleanin up a bit, though that's unnecessary. I can handle it."

The third word on the board was Collaboration. "This is a good point. The more ye know 'bout magic in general, the more effective ye can be when workin in tandem."

Jane was about to address Mizz Vrey when Ruarc's voice slipped in through the open window. She repressed a smile, though she couldn't perfectly subdue the corners of her lips. Then it was back to the lesson. She scanned the document that appeared, and lightly tapped the desk as though to comfort it. The final words on the board were Critical Thinking. "While it's very kind o' ye to share with the class, Mizz Vrey, that was not the goal of the exercise. But I've a feeling this has more to do with yer..." Her left hand made small circles as if trying to beckon the right words to come forth, "Native culture. There'll be a bit of a learnin curve fer ye."

"Right. So, let's go through this. Conveniently, these are nearly in the order I want to discuss. So let's." She circled Cooperation. "In this regard, y'all really struggled. Y'all had three separate plans tryna go at once, though I dunno if it's fair to call Mizz Willow's actions a plan. I said ye'd have to work together, but seems we'll have t'work on that concept. In the end, though, Mizzez Katerina 'n Drysi did accomplish the task by trustin one another. That's commendable, ladies.

"Leadership. It ain't essential, but it can streamline efforts in a teamwork scenario, which will be every scenario in my class. Consider nominatin someone as shotcaller. I will occasionally force one o' ye to lead the class in an exercise, so ye've been forewarned. Moving on."

She circled Collaboration. "This is another important feature to this class. Learn from one another. Yer magic, yer history, yer fun trivia. Every little thing ye know makes y'all more effective mages, because sure as death 'n taxes y'all gonna be confronted with a problem that only one of ye has the resources to handle proper. In regards t'today's scenario: Mizz Drysi, I agree the delivery of yer spell coulda been better, but I disagree with yer solution. Ye could've worked a little papersophy 'n had it deliver itself."

The instructor turned toward the elementalist. "Or, Mizz Katerina, ye could've read it from the safety behind yer barrier 'n then used yer wind magic to deliver the script. I'm actually a little surprised that wasn't yer solution, but the stress was high, so I don' blame ye."

"And lastly, Critical Thinking. I must say y'all dropped the ball here at one point er another. Mizz Vrey, yer plan to feed No Name- like I said- was a good one, but too slow on the draw. Mizz Drysi's plan was also a good one, but the delivery was far riskier than it ever needed to be. And Mizz Willow, I commend yer spirit to draw No Name's attention, but without arrangin some means of protection or escape, I must say it was unwise.

"To summarize, ladies, y'all impressed me. Ye kept cool heads given I just threw y'all into the fire without warnin. But some pretty clear weaknesses cropped up, which we'll work to address in future classes. Any questions or comments, ladies?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Thanks," Willow said to Vrey, confusion coupling with gratitude. A wry smile grew on her face as she picked up the apple, rubbed it on her shirt, and bit into it.

Willow nodded along to Miss Smith's suggestions and notes. They made sense when laid out, and couldn't help but feel oddly eager about the entire matter. As inane as some of it seemed, to a normal girl who suddenly ended up at a school of magic, being told to work together and play to each others strengths was rather exciting. Though she would never admit it in a school setting, it made her feel as she was a new student at Charles Xavier's mansion, and with enough practice she, and the other students around her, could join the X-men. If nothing else, she felt a wave of inspiration to dedicate herself to studying and practicing. "I could be Kitty Pryde, or Negasonic Teenage Warhead!"

"No questions from me, Miss Smith," Willow responded.