[Episode 0.75 v2] Class is in Session, Witches!

The story unfolds around Osaka, Japan, with the unlocking of one girl's hidden potential, and a gathering of Young mages whom are destined to change the fate of the Earth.
Kai
Site Admin

Re: [Episode 0.75 v2] Class is in Session, Witches!

Post by Kai »

Katerina was a bit surprised when she was gifted an apple by the odd young girl called Vrey, though she wasn't upset, as the apple itself seemed very appetizing, especially seeing as it had been a while since she'd eaten anything, having spent most of the morning in the garden practicing magic before class. However, she couldn't do much more than give a polite "Thank you" to the hairless girl, as their instructor began speaking. She listened intently, taking in everything that Miss Smith was telling them. It was true that she could have taken a different route in trying to send the paper over, though it probably would have turned out the same- Kat didn't actually know how to read the spell that Drysi had written, so the delivery method really didn't matter in the end. Still, it was probably a good idea to distance herself from something dangerous, as the Japanese-American girl wasn't exactly a fighter. At the conclusion, Kat had nothing to say or ask, and just nodded along with what Willow had said. No questions from her, either.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Drysi stared at the red apple on her desk, her face turning a bit grim at the sight of the enticing fruit. She seemed unimpressed, and more so unthankful that she had gotten anything. In truth, she was, she didn't like raw apples, the texture felt weird in her mouth. Apple pie? Sure. Cinnamon apples? Maybe. Apple sauce? Absolutely. Raw apples? Disgusting. The scribe drew out her shaky fingers and grabbed the fruit with both, tucking it under the desk, not wanting to make it immediately apparent she was growing to hate everyone in the room.

As their post-lesson review came, the Maelgwyn's three-eyes stayed firmly on the instructor, expectant for praise. It was apparent when the welshgirl was mentioned, as she brightened up whenever her name was brought forth, and sullen every time Willow was praised. Occasionally there was an evil little giggle every time the druidess' failure was mentioned, and it was mildly apparent without being too disruptive. By the end of it, she was sitting rather proudly, feeling like that out of everyone, she had done the best. She was quite sure Katerina's score was a bit better, just by partnering with her. Even Vrey, as detached as was from how everyone else viewed the world, had to realize this, thought Drysi.

Emboldened, she raised her hand, three eyes glittering behind spectacles, her curly, blonde hair bouncing. Her nerves were still on end.

"Miss Smith! I refus--..." the scribe paused, realizing she had shot out a bit, as if to the challenge the teacher. She reeled it in a bit, as if that didn't happen. "It is my firm belief that technique-based, low arts like Papercraft, Papersophy, Paperwitchery, whichever it chooses to be called, has no place in an environment of academia. Thus, I wish to use only inscription, a real Magical Art."
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Jane was not surprised that Drysi spoke up, and was in fact pleased that someone had something to say on the matter. She hated lecturing; she wanted a dialogue with the students. "Mizz Drysi, it is yer god-given right to believe and behave as ye like. I was merely pointin out that there were other, safer methods of handlin the particular problem of gettin yer script from point A to hind B. However..." She collected the chalk again and circled Collaboration twice more. "Entitled as ye may be to yer way of thinkin, Mizz Drysi, ye must unnerstan the consequences of such a choice. There are things ye cain't do, things that can only be accomplished by such a magic-- or can be accomplished more efficiently by such magic. That list will vary from one art to another, but there are advantages and disadvantages to each. It is important fer y'all to remember that, and to learn the nuances of each of each other's as ye progress through my class.

"If there is nothing further, ladies, y'all dismissed. Normally class is once a week, but I'd like to get y'all back in here tomorrow to work on a few things. So, same time tomorrow mornin. Have a good day, ladies."
Straken

Post by Straken »

"Well, that was an interesting introduction to magic school," Willow chuckled as she turned to Katerina. Standing up, she glanced over at Drysi and considered whether to try talking to the girl. Aside from a triclops being among the oddest things she had seen so far, she was more concerned about the fact that she had apparently slighted the girl somehow. In the end, she decided to simply leave Drysi alone.

"I'm gonna go check in with Mr Flynn, unless there is somewhere else we need to be off hand." Making her way to the door, she turned the knob and swung the door open. Catching her off guard though was the sudden appearance of the tall Druid standing just to the side of the doorway.

"Good timing, Ah see. Ah'll be wanting a word with you and..." Ruarc started as he trailed off and scanned the classroom before pointing at another student. "Miss Maelgwyn. Ah just need to speak with Miss Smith about familiar protocol."

With that said he walked into the class and began scanning for damage while making his way towards Jane; leaving the students to do as they will.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

Consequences? Feh! Inscription covers all spells and sorcery, I will never need anything more.

Drysi would have said it aloud, to test the patience of their teacher further, but she kept it to herself.

Instead, she bowed her head, and smiled sweetly, as if to accept her advice with a genuine enthusiasm. Perhaps the cowgirl teacher wasn't wrong, but at the same time, that would mean Drysi wasn't right, which was not an acceptable outcome. She began to gather her things up quietly at that placing her quill and inkwell in their pouches and the rest of her paper in the satchel. She wanted some time alone to get away from everyone. Despite absolutely rocking the first hour of class, she felt very tired. Brilliance took much energy, she wagered.

She pushed up her glasses and also made for the door, keeping a well enough distance from the young druid. A short yelp escaped her lips as the door pulled open to reveal the broad groundskeeper from before. All three eyes were wide and upon him as she also mentioned her name along with Willow's.

Why? Why is that? Who is he? Am I in trouble?

The possibilities ran on. Perhaps Willow needed a tutor? A small smirk spread on her face. She was indeed miles ahead of the girl, and would make the perfect instructor, but such things were beneath a Maelgwyn. Survival of the fittest preached the Book-keepers. Nurture knowledge, but weed out weakness. Still, her curiosity got the better of her.

"Willow," whispered Drysi harshly, wagging her hand to get the girl's attention, mouthing 'Who is that?'.
Straken

Post by Straken »

Willow simply stared at the weird display Drysi was performing. Squinting as she discerned what the girl was asking, the Brit moved closer to whisper. "Him? That's Mr. Ruarc Flynn. He's who I'm apprenticing under," she informed, before a devilish idea popped into her mind. If she recalled right from earlier, the triclops had ridiculed druids before, so Willow decided to embellish on some of the information Mealla had told her about the Irishman. "He's a legendary druid known throughout the Druid, uh, group. He's fought demons, and mythical beasts, and renegade mages. He's even the man who founded this very school. So it makes sense that he would handle some administrative work. Not sure what you might have done though."

Oblivious the girls' chatter, Ruarc had made his way to Jane, and asked her if it was necessary to have used No Name; all while he looked at the desks that had been knocked about.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

The triclops seemed to pale at the prospect that the man who had business with her was such an all-important druid. She immediately had no respect for the man, but at the same time, had to fear the positional power he wielded over her. It made sense, all Druids had that fatty or muscly look to them, or were too tall or wide. They always had to be big people, to compensate for their inferior schools, Drysi thought. There rose a bitter imagining in her mind, did that mean that this brute was going scold her for what he had said to Willow? Of course, no better than a gang of hoodlums, these glade-worshipers. She was going to catch the worst of it, on her first day no less. The gloomy fear rose in her mind, making her sweat.

But... How did he know? There was no way he'd know, except...

Willow.

Drysi's eyes squinted in a frustrated, side-long view at the girl next to her. She whispered in bitter grumbles, "You tattled. You... You tattle-tale! You can't fight your own battles, so you call in someone else to handle me for you? Pfft, as expected of your kind. I bet you've never even won an argument without crying to your mother."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Willow was completely caught off guard by the accusation, in part due to having not been accused of tattling since kindergarten. The look on her face was half disbelief, and half pity as she realized this girl next to her had a serious personality complex; though she didn't know which quark to analyze first. Her first impulse was to respond back in kind, but this could be an opportunity be the bigger woman.

"Drysi, you are smart girl, how could I have possibly tattled on you if I was sitting a desk away from you this entire time. I have no magic, love," Willow said calmly, despite how very insulting Drysi was, is, and likely would continue to be. "Perhaps he just wanted to have a word with you and knew you would be here?"
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Jane smiled knowingly at the druid. "Mr. Flynn! Caught me a bit earlier than I'd have wagered. As fer No Name: no, I didn't have to bring him in, but..." She paused, realizing students were lingering.

"Out now, y'all." She made shooing gestures at the lot of them, then closed the door behind the last.

"Mr. Flynn, ye gave me this space to teach and to evaluate fer candidates. Ye gotta trust me to do that very thing. My way. No Name was a perfect surprise, and the activity'll keep em on their toes in the future, which is what I need from em. Cain't have zombies fer students when I'm teachin these critical skills.

"Furthermore, it's a school of magic. If rustlin a few desks is the biggest concern, I'd say we're not doin enough magic."
Straken

Post by Straken »

Holding his tongue until Jane had shooed away the students, noting the fact that Willow and Drysi were discussing something. "Good, they're already friends, that saves me some work," The Druid thought to himself, set about standing the desks back up and inspecting them while Jane made her case.

"That's why Ah put in the practice area out back, for practical magic... practice," Ruarc said back as he place the last desk and walked back over to the American. "And demonstrating a spell tends to be less hectic than a bucking bronco. But, look, don't get me wrong, Ah do trust you, and your methods; as unorthodox as they are. My point of view though, Ah'm a bit protective of the place. Ah can handle patching a few holes here and there in the name of learning, but No Name would have no problem busting a joist, or even pipes and wiring. Just as Ah told way back when, be careful, and Ah'll give you your space, aye?"