Primary Personnel Recreation Center, Deck 6

This is a space for in-character events that do not occur within the line of duty and/or did not fit into the "Daily Life" section as it played out. Threads herein are meant to supplement character development and flesh out the setting elements, but are not necessary to understanding the plot or characters involved. These events are to be considered canon unless otherwise noted.
Kokuten

Primary Personnel Recreation Center, Deck 6

Post by Kokuten »

Primary Personnel Recreation Center, Deck 6, Section 3

The large hall is dimly lit, and in the dimmed light, a haze of cigarette smoke hangs in the air. To one side is a field of about a dozen pool tables, with several other old tabletop games behind. This section is filled with the more rowdy, heavily smoking infantrymen. To the opposing side is the gym section, and all the way in the back is a small bar and a large TV area with several old couches. A small arcade sits in the other back corner, with flight simulators and the like. The Rec Center is the central hub of leisure time for crewmen, and it is often crowded with a variety of people of all different ranks and stations.
Kokuten

Re: Primary Personnel Recreation Center, Deck 6

Post by Kokuten »

Jack Gallagher cam strolling into the hall, eyes adjusting to the dim, smoky air. He walked over to the barren billiards area, looking about. There weren't many people up at this hour, most were out cold getting the rest they could while the Hymn was between battles. "Anyone for a game?" he half-shouted to no one in particular.

Steven yawned as he walked through the corridors of the Hymn. He was having trouble sleeping and there was little work he could do on his fighter, so he figured that he might as well take a look at the Hymn's rec room.. As he turned the corner and entered the rec room he was at once choked by the smell of cigarette smoke and sweat. "Hm, I wonder what sort of people hang out here?" he said sarcastically as he coughed. Peering through the haze he tried to make out some familiar faces, but to him all of these marines looked alike. Need he say more? Taking a few more steps into the room he started to get the feeling that he had stepped into a form of no man's land for pilots.

Kai walked into the recreation area, choking on the smoky atmosphere. Either the filters are broken or someone turned them off he thought, making a mental note to tell engineering of this. Waving a hand in front of himself to clear the smoke away, he walked towards the back of the room, and, spying a familiar face calling out for a game of pool, walked over, grabbing a que on the way and said "Sure, why not?"

Grinning a bit at the uncomfortable looks of the men entering, Jack immediately recognized Captain Kai. Though there were enough people on the ship to populate a small city, he'd run into Kai a few times... mostly in combat. "Heeey kiddo!" He said with a wink. He walked over to the stick rack and grabbed one. "Eight ball good?" He asked, meeting Kai at a nearby table.

Peering out into the dim room past Kai, Jack's gaze was drawn to a man standing a bit uncomfortably in the middle of the room. "Hey... isn't that the pilot we saved that one time?" he said, nodding in his direction.

"Eight ball sounds fine" Kai replied, then, at Jack's second question said "Maybe. I've saved plenty of pilots in my time, but he does look familiar"

"Oy! you, pilot!" Kai called out, choking a bit afterward from the sudden inhalation of way more smoke than he needed. If we couldn't regrow organs, Smoking would've been outlawed 100 years ago, and the world would be a much better smelling place. he thought, as he waved to Steven.

"So..." said Jack, switching subjects as he thought about pilots, "Ever considered being a pilot? I've never been that good at it... maybe a bridge officer. I wouldn't mind captaining my own ship. Heh."

Steven looked up as he heard his name being called. It came from two of the marines that had saved him after his ship had crashed. Curious, he walked over to the pool tables. When he got to the tables he heard just enough of the conversation to jump in. "Being a pilot isn't as hard as it seems actually. Personally, I find it much easier piloting a fighter than marching with a gun in hand," he said to Jack. "So anyway, mind if I join in with your game?"

"Sure, sure! Wouldn't mind at all! To be honest, this is the first time I've been to the Rec Center, and I haven't played pool in ages. But anyway... I've just never been comfortable flying a fighter. There's way more things shooting at you, and I've never really been able to grasp that whole 'the ship is an extension of the body' thing. I've always been better at relying on my own body, and a good rifle when appropriate. Fewer variables to consider when punching a lizard's face in." Jack grinned a little sheepishly at the slightly violent remark. He wasn't really the same person outside of combat... it was hard to explain, but when he distanced himself from battle and looked at it, he realized how bloodthirsty he was. It scared him, but he couldn't help it.

"I can understand your thinking," Steven said as he grabbed at a pool cue. "I still remember the first time I ever flew a scimitar back at the academy. I lost my lunch on my first barrel roll. But like most things, practice makes perfect." He gave an almost devilish grin as he returned to the table.
"And I feel I should warn you about one thing. Flying isn't the only thing I am an ace at," he said while maintaining that devilish grin. "Now who wants to start?"

Jack grumbled a little at Steven's sly look. "At least we're not playing for money, ya hustler." He said, chuckling a bit to himself as he chalked his pool stick and rolled the cue ball into the starting position. With a smack it slammed into the end of the triangle, knocking 3 stripes and a solid in. "I call stripes, I guess." He said, winking neatly to the other two.