Lounge: Chess Game of Philosophies

This is a space for in-character events that do not occur within the line of duty and/or did not fit into the "Daily Life" section as it played out. Threads herein are meant to supplement character development and flesh out the setting elements, but are not necessary to understanding the plot or characters involved. These events are to be considered canon unless otherwise noted.
Kokuten

Lounge: Chess Game of Philosophies

Post by Kokuten »

“C’mon! Let’s have a quick game,” Vice Admiral Sean said as he heckled Lieutenant Steven. “We always used to play chess when you were younger. It’ll be like old times.”
“Sorry Gramps, I have stuff I need to take care of,” Steven said quickly in reply.
“Like what?” Sean retorted in an accusing tone.
Steven paused for a second to think of something, “Well, I still want to go over the specs of the new Sabers again, and I want to also look through the engines again.”
“What a piss poor excuse,” Sean said, no becoming more assertive. “You and I both know you have been spending every waking moment around those fighters, and that you know the engine system inside and out. Now don’t make me pull rank on you, boy.”
“I am sorry Grandpa, I still want to go over the specs again and make sure the rest of my squadron is doing the same,” Steven said with a heavy sigh. He turned and started to walk towards the hallway.
“You are just afraid to lose to me again,” Sean said as he now tried to play on Steven’s defensive personality. “You never beat me when you were living back home on Ovid, and you still can’t beat me now.”
Steven stopped in mid-step and turned to face his grandfather. Steven wasn’t getting provoked like Sean was trying; instead it was closer to mild annoyance. “Fine. I’ll play chess with you. Are you sure you think you can win, you senile old man?”
Sean did not reply, instead he motioned towards a chess table in the Hymn’s lounge. As the two officers sat down, both of them immediately began formulating strategies. Sean planned to focus on Steven’s tendency to miss the big picture and forget about his other pieces. Steven on the other hand was formulating ideas that played off of the fact that his grandfather never wants to use his more important pieces.
Steven started off with white, and his first move was to immediately move his knight to the forefront of his battlegroup.
“Hm, starting off aggressively, huh?” Sean remarked as he moved a pawn one space forward.
Steven didn’t reply. His next move he brought a pawn up one space to put it on the knight’s flank.
Sean simply moved his rightmost pawn forward one space.
Back and forth the two officers took their turns until it came time for the first piece to fall. It was Steven’s move, and he thought through how to best take the piece. His pawns were locked and most of his other pieces would be put in harm’s way. He moved his bishop forward and took one of the pawns that his grandfather was using as a wall.
Sean countered by moving forward his knight and taking one of Steven’s rooks. Steven felt embarrassed for forgetting about his rook. Steven had now taken one pawn, while Sean had taken a rook.
The game progressed and more pieces fell on both sides. Sean now had six pieces left including his king, the queen, a bishop, both his knights, and a pawn; Steven had seven pieces left including his king, the queen, a knight, a bishop, and three pawns.
“Your problem is that you don’t look at the big picture. You focus on one front and put all your effort there,” Sean said in a deadpan tone.
“What are you talking about? I am closer to winning than you are,” Steven replied in an equally bland tone.
“That may be, but you never know when one piece will shift the game,” he said, and with his next move he place his last pawn on Steven’s backline. “This piece is now a queen.” Sean now two queens. “And, if I am not mistaken, that is checkmate.”
Steven almost fell over. He stared at the bored with a shocked look on his face. Sean got up and walked around the table and gave his grandson a pat on the shoulder. “You have a ways to go, son, but hey, you almost had me.”