Fall Arc: Resonance

This is a space for in-character events that do not occur within the line of duty and/or did not fit into the "Daily Life" section as it played out. Threads herein are meant to supplement character development and flesh out the setting elements, but are not necessary to understanding the plot or characters involved. These events are to be considered canon unless otherwise noted.
CadetNewb

Re: Fall Arc: Resonance

Post by CadetNewb »

"Oh!~" Lolita perked up with surprise. "Did you pinch me?"

But in all seriousness, even though the situation had gotten better with the dispersion of that strange...darkness, things were bad and Lolita knew it. Morale was practically down like a dog put out of its misery. Right now, there didn't seem to be any imminent threats she thought as her eyes scanned down the opened up path. So she'd have to put on the best show she could to keep spirits up. Without compromising her guard. It was a task nearly impossible! But if they were to get out of it alive, that was precisely what she had to do.

"Now that's the Sarah I know!" Lolita beamed with a chipper attitude. She turned back and regarded the small scout in front of her for a moment. Right was light. But left was out. They said that sometimes the shortest seeming route wasn't actually the shortest, or something like that, and this was likely the case again considering this all dealt with the darkness anyways.

"I think we should shine a light down the dark path on the left first to see if its weird or not." Lolita explained. "If it is weird, we stay in the light. Simple as that I think. As much as I'd rather stay behind and search, I don't think all of us are in the shape to do so." the marine spoke, looking the squad over, eyes briefly resting on John and Sarah.

As much as she absolutely hated to admit it, they were the weak links.
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"Lolita." started Sarah on a private channel with Lolita. The medic fidgeted a bit, containing her rage from her recent explosive outburst. She simply stared down the dark way, before looking at some of Hotaru's gear. She remembered that flamethrower girl had been the one equipped with a flashlight. "I don't," she started, still talking on her channel, but appearing silent to others, seemingly having a muffled tone as she fished out the light. "trust Irvine."

Click went Hotaru's light, shining in the darkness up ahead.

"He just pops up outta' no where right before the weird shit starts happening." Sarah stole another glance at the accused man, before glancing back down the doorway. "I know I sound paranoid, but we've got zero intel, we're going on his word, and -- god damnit!" Growled the Medic, breaking her proximity from Lolita to rub her butt against a wall, "... and my ass itches..."
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

"Protect...." The voice repeated to Lutz. "Fight to protect?" It asked him, as if the concept was entirely foreign to it. "All life precious. How do you save by destroying?" The thing seemed to be ignoring Lutz' questions, as if it was more trying to understand what he had said, or perhaps it didn't know how to answer.

Down the hallway there was more of the same, though a few meters down the hallway the walls seemed to dry up, everything was still dusty and musty, and there was what looked like a trail down the middle of the hallway. They could only see so far, however, before the darkness swallowed all and their light would penetrate no further. The other way down the hall, the light they had seen before flickered, and died.

Hotaru and her copy padded their way around- Hotaru could tell she was no longer in the same part of the Station- she had been taken somewhere, and the thrumming and humming of the place told her there was something working around here. In a voice mimicking her own, Hotaru's new shadow told her. "They are here, they stay, they live, they speak. We are protectors, but they are like empty, they need something." The blue-haired girl nodded, determined.
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

"Fear is the mind rotter. Or something like that, so relax a bit." Lolita recalled over the private channel with Sarah. She couldn't remember the quote exactly, but it was close enough. "We've known him for how long?" the tall marine asked the shorter one. It didn't matter. Still keeping her sight and weapon aimed down the hallway, she called back over to Irvine, making sure everyone could hear. "Hey, Irviiiinnneeee...~" Lolita called to the man in an alluring tone. As the last light when out in the hallway, the buxom marine knew she had to dispel the fear in the group as best she could manage before they dared move on. This would have to do. "Don't as any questions, and stay on your feet, ok? Now, fill in the blank."

"Remember that time when Sarah...?"
Straken

Post by Straken »

Lutz sighed as his impromptu interrogation continued. Given that his question had been ignored, he took a guess that the entity wasn’t in the answering mood. As such he relaxed a little and simply tried to think of how to better explain himself.

“Yeah, I fight to protect,” Lutz said again, skimming passed the hippie jargon, “I cause the destruction of a few in order to save many from destruction themselves; if I did nothing than many more would die because of it. Beyond that, finding a peaceful solution is not my job.”
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Admittedly, Hillman was bad at this game, which was saying a lot: it was hard to be bad at a game that simply required you to recall a favored memory. Even so, he was silent for several seconds.

Then: "Remember during our last R&R when we 'chanced' upon all that booze and Sarah got plastered?" He smirked to himself. "If I recall correctly, over the course of the night Sarah managed to kiss the Major, score a perfect losing streak in strip Texas Hold 'Em, beat three unwitting Privates unconscious while covering her bits with a blanket, and somehow drive to Taco Bell and back with three other drunk idiots in the jeep. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly recall finding her the next morning curled up in the bathtub cradling an open jar of pickles. She had pickle juice all down her front and the blanket was only covering her lower half modestly."

"That's my personal favorite, anyways."
Kokuten

Post by Kokuten »

"What!?"

Was the response Sarah coughed out incredulously, her eyes going wide behind her visor. She looked at Lolita, mouth agape before back to Irvine. She raised her hands, as if she was going to strangle him, before shooting her gaze back the blonde Marine.

"Lolita! You said I fell asleep taking a shower after eating a bunch of pickles!" roared the medic, tossing her hands in the air, shaking with irrefutable rage. She turned on a heel to Irvine, now looking like she was really going to strangle him. "I'm... I'm..." Her finger shook as it pointed at the man, with the eyes of someone vicious and bloody.

But then... She suddenly stopped shaking, and her snarling rage seemed to melt away, making her calm as could be.

"I'm going to schedule you for an exam when we get back." she said, before turning around on one toe, as if a graceful ballerina. She gently tip-toed across to Lolita and slapped the tall Marine on the bum. "You're getting one too!" She said in a sing-song voice, smiling at Lolita before skipping on ahead like a schoolgirl, scanning around with the flashlight. The green-haired medic was in a joyful and merry mood all of a sudden, singing all the while. "La lala la la~"
CadetNewb

Post by CadetNewb »

"Oh-hohohoh!" Lolita laughed, albeit a little nervously.

"That's definitely Irvine, see? I told you it was him - he's always making stuff up!" the buxom marine lied. She swallowed as a bead of sweat came down her brow from within her helmet before quickly creating a private comm channel with Hillman. "Damnit Irvine!" Lolita hissed at the man, keeping her voice to a whisper. "I thought WE ALL SWORE not to talk about that, because as embarrassing and spectacular as what Sarah did, it was all nothing compared to what THE REST OF US did...we were all just lucky to wake up before she did!" For the first time since the mission began, Lolita's heart pumped frantically in her chest - she was on the edge of loosing her nerve.

"S-so. Where do we head off to next?" the marine asked, synthesized voice quavering a bit.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Before anybody had a chance to answer Lolita's question, however, they found the hallway to suddenly open up into a large, darkened chamber. Off to their left seemed to be some dim orange glow, and from that direction came the sound of machinery, though that wasn't the only sound. however, from this distance, they couldn't tell what the second sound was. All around the chamber could be seen doorways and passageways leading in different directions. Some were destroyed, caved in or smashed, while others were still open. A few seemed to have had supplies hastily stuffed in them, but all had trails leading from them and into the glowing passage to the left.

The Red eyes that Questioned Lutz seemed to retract, as did the feeling of being bound on every inch of his body. The Marine felt himself dropping, and before long, he gently was set to the ground, though it was sudden enough that he would lose his balance if he wasn't prepared for it. If the German surveyed the area, he would notice it was much more brightly lit, felt somewhat warm, and smelled differently- less musty and dusty, though to someone whom had always lived in a rather advanced society, the exact smells were something he couldn't place.

One thing, however, would catch his eye- There were two other figures in the room; One wearing a white Bikini, and the other figure identical in every way except it was pick black from head to toe, aside from a pair of ever-changing blue eyes like the red ones Lutz would not be very familiar with.

To his right, he could see the shadow that had engulfed him coalescing into a very familiar form- his own.

"Heya, Lutz!" Hotaru called out, smiling at her Squadmate.
Mr. Blackbird Lore

Post by Mr. Blackbird Lore »

Across the private channel Irvine replied, "Don't group me in with the rest of you: unlike you, I know when to stop. I just happened to be along for the ride." That got him smirking again, which was safe now as Sarah was walking off ahead, no longer paying him any mind.

"Toward the sounds of working equipment," Hillman suggested in response to Lolita's inquiry. "Perchance we'll be able to turn on a few lights."